Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$30.97
Barton Fink (Blu-ray)
$19.99
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$52.89
Resident Evil: Vendetta 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project, No. 2 (Blu-ray)
$60.88
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Woman of the Year (Blu-ray)
$19.35
They Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$16.93
Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bad Day at Black Rock (Blu-ray)
$10.05
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Blu-ray)
$86.38
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #57681
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljoo8 View Post
I watched Paths of Glory twice yesterday, and I must say it's now one of my favorites.
Seems to be the spiritual sibling of Dr. Strangelove...
Should I expect anything less from Kubrick.
Simple Answer, No you should not. Paths is so good. The scene in the pub at the end of the film just leaves you astonished, that scene has always stuck out so much to me.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Naked Spur (1953), A Bronx Tale (1993), High Sierra (1941), Dodsworth (1936), Roman Holiday (1953), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Blood Link (1982), The Great Silence (1968), Targets (1968), Summertime (1955), The Woman in the Window (1944), Waking The Dead (2000), Secret Agent (1936), If You Meet Saratana... Pray For Your Death (1968).
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #57682
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Can anyone solidify the few outstanding reviews and recommendations that I have received lately about Solaris (2002). Quite a few people have mentioned how extraordinary and beautiful the film was to me recently. I never had any desire to see this version as I have never felt and still do feel that it can not compare in any way to Tarkovsky's version. That may be unfair of me to think that while not having seen the film but that is how I feel. Am I way off here though? Should I go seek out the 2002 version, is it a masterpiece in its own right?
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Naked Spur (1953), A Bronx Tale (1993), High Sierra (1941), Dodsworth (1936), Roman Holiday (1953), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Blood Link (1982), The Great Silence (1968), Targets (1968), Summertime (1955), The Woman in the Window (1944), Waking The Dead (2000), Secret Agent (1936), If You Meet Saratana... Pray For Your Death (1968).
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #57683
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Rented it once, thought it was interesting in a 'so what the hell was that anyway' sort of way and can remember very little about it now. I didn't know at the time it was a remake but when I learned that it completely fit because in retrospect it reminds of The American - sort of a glitzier, more polished, high-budget Hollywood approach with a slower, more atmospheric Euro sensibility.

If it were ever released I'd be inclined to give it another look if for no other reason than it did look really good.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #57684
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
Can anyone solidify the few outstanding reviews and recommendations that I have received lately about Solaris (2002). Quite a few people have mentioned how extraordinary and beautiful the film was to me recently. I never had any desire to see this version as I have never felt and still do feel that it can not compare in any way to Tarkovsky's version. That may be unfair of me to think that while not having seen the film but that is how I feel. Am I way off here though? Should I go seek out the 2002 version, is it a masterpiece in its own right?
Well one factor you want to consider is whether or not you're a fan of Steven Soderbergh's films. Do you not mind remakes in general? Solaris (2002) is a film that really doesn't get made in Hollywood anymore. Clooney gives a great performance and it's nice to see Soderbergh on this genre. I think it's a wonderful take on the classic. Masterpiece no, but it is definitely a great movie that doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves . I say check it out.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #57685
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylopez View Post
Well one factor you want to consider is whether or not you're a fan of Steven Soderbergh's films. Do you not mind remakes in general? Solaris (2002) is a film that really doesn't get made in Hollywood anymore. Clooney gives a great performance and it's nice to see Soderbergh on this genre. I think it's a wonderful take on the classic. Masterpiece no, but it is definitely a great movie that doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves . I say check it out.
alright Thanks, yeah I am sure I will check it out. Do you not mind remakes in general? Yeah that's probably the biggest reason that I have had the inclination to pass it by, I really am not the hugest fan of re-makes or re-adaptation of films that have already done it perfectly IMO of course. Every now and then though I find one enjoyable if I just sit back and not try to compare it to its counterpart. But some films I just won't even dare, like the Psycho remake, yeah I am not going anywhere near that one.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #57686
Special Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
I'm region A.
As Tears Go By, Days of Being Wild and Ashes of Time are all region free. That leaves the only region locked movie of his that hasn't had a region A release at My Blueberry Nights.

I wonder if WKW would still be interested in making The Lady From Shanghai now? Goodness knows Nicole Kidman's career has changed a great deal in the proceeding years.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #57687
Expert Member

May 2011
Central Fraser Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
Wow! The more I think about it, the more I realize:

I see myself in both Alice and Charlotte (and bits of Josh and Dan).

Hmm... maybe The Last Days of Disco needs a re-watch and more evaluation from my part.
Came across this a month or so ago in the middle of a cable telecast and hung in for five or ten minutes hoping for some Donna Summers. Quickly came to the conclusion that I was totally disinterested in spending any more time than that with any of characters on screen, and bailed. Not much basis to offer any kind of a valid opinion but there it is. Can't honestly say that I saw anything in that short span that would cause me to want to revisit it. If you loved it, kindly disregard the foregoing.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #57688
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Seeing Svet's review of the amazing Pathe presentation of Polanski's Tess... and with a BFI edition coming from presumably the same master... who wants to throw in that Criterion has possibly licensed the title from Columbia/Sony for a potential release in the next few months?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #57689
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
alright Thanks, yeah I am sure I will check it out. Do you not mind remakes in general? Yeah that's probably the biggest reason that I have had the inclination to pass it by, I really am not the hugest fan of re-makes or re-adaptation of films that have already done it perfectly IMO of course. Every now and then though I find one enjoyable if I just sit back and not try to compare it to its counterpart. But some films I just won't even dare, like the Psycho remake, yeah I am not going anywhere near that one.
For someone who doesn't particularly like remakes you seem to own quite a few: The Departed, The Fly, Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Knew Too Much (55), Heat, Last House on the Left, Maltese Falcon, Man on Fire, My Bloody Valentine, Piranha, Scarface, The Thing, True Grit... and you might even say Last Man Standing, loosely.

Solaris is a better remake than a lot of those you own. In some ways, it outdoes the original, but both films have their merits IMO.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #57690
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

I don't care about spoilers as much as others do, which is why I read the booklets first. until the type to go read the last couple pages of s novel to see where It's going, or looks up wiki entries on films/TVs show's I'm watching.

I should have never cancelled Brazil, as Purple Noon just shipped. I'm boggled by B&N, normally they aren't this screwy. Oh well, cancelling with them and grabbing it from Amazon gave me the excuse to grab the
[Show spoiler] "schrodinger's fetus"
season of Doctor Who, ad they did a major price drop on it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #57691
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
I don't care about spoilers as much as others do, which is why I read the booklets first. until the type to go read the last couple pages of s novel to see where It's going, or looks up wiki entries on films/TVs show's I'm watching.
I'm not particularly bothered by spoilers, since what most folks consider spoilers are things like who died, who f*cked, who destroyed the Death Star, whether the Avengers won the first battle so they didn't have to avenge earth (huh... guess, they need a new name?). etc.

But when I'm reading an essay or review while drinking a tall, cool Dos Equis, if I start hitting "spoilers" and am still interested in the film, book, etc., then I mark the page and return to it after seeing or reading the thing itself. Then again, I generally skip or skim paragraphs about plot since there are better ways to experience story time than to let a critic synopsize someone else's story. I find precious few reviews that intelligently and proportionally integrate analysis and synopsis.
DVD Profiler SD/HD LibraryMy CriterionFlickChart Rankings
Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV | Oppo 203 UHD Player | Pioneer SC-LX701 Receiver
PSB Imagine T-2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) | Logitech Harmony Hub | Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #57692
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Glendale, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Seeing Svet's review of the amazing Pathe presentation of Polanski's Tess... and with a BFI edition coming from presumably the same master... who wants to throw in that Criterion has possibly licensed the title from Columbia/Sony for a potential release in the next few months?
I think it's guaranteed.

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in OCD Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness, The Sopranos Complete Collection
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #57693
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

WKW's My Blueberry Nights has been released on BD in Japan, which is region A. That just leaves 2046 and possibly Eros (for the short with Gong Li).
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #57694
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:

I should have never cancelled Brazil, as Purple Noon just shipped. I'm boggled by B&N, normally they aren't this screwy. Oh well, cancelling with them and grabbing it from Amazon gave me the excuse to grab the
[Show spoiler] "schrodinger's fetus"
season of Doctor Who, ad they did a major price drop on it.
If one was to read the last paragraph of the Vivre Sa Vie essay, that would drastically alter their first experience with the film.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #57695
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
If one was to read the last paragraph of the Vivre Sa Vie essay, that would drastically alter their first experience with the film.
See, I was lucky with that one as I saw it before I bought it. Also, if I get like 6 films at a time and read all the booklets, there's a chance I won't get to the film right away and won't remember details of the essay until after I watch.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #57696
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
I see where you're coming from. I still think it's weird how realistic the characters are, even if they seem unreal because of all of the baggage they carry with them. I'm sure the storyline (well, not the disco aspect obviously) can still be applied to modern times perfectly well.
Or better yet, The 90's.

Did you notice the Out of place vehicles. I can imagine Whit Saying " let's get a really wide shot", only to be screwed in the editing room.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #57697
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
See, I was lucky with that one as I saw it before I bought it. Also, if I get like 6 films at a time and read all the booklets, there's a chance I won't get to the film right away and won't remember details of the essay until after I watch.
That's true, I'll read something on a film a year or so prior to seeing it. Then when I actually see it, I Get Deja Vu . "oh man, I think he's gonna bite the bullet, I'm so smart."
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #57698
Special Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Solaris is a better remake than a lot of those you own. In some ways, it outdoes the original, but both films have their merits IMO.
From memory in the remake they never explained that the visitors were being sent because the ocean was studying humanity.

Which seems like kind an important detail to omit?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #57699
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Got my copy of Paths of Glory in the mail today and watched it right away.. I can't even fathom how good this looks - it's truly incredible! Same goes for the sound!

The film itself is now one of my all-time favorites and also my favorite Kubrick film. It literally gave me goosebumps - absolutely amazing! Probably my best purchase this year.. Everyone should own this film..
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #57700

Dec 2012

I just blind bought Rules of the Game and Wings of Desire. Crossing my fingers. :)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors