Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 11 3.18%
Two Stars 12 3.47%
Three Stars 54 15.61%
Four Stars 158 45.66%
Five Stars 111 32.08%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #121
Dead By Shaun Dead By Shaun is offline
Senior Member
 
Dead By Shaun's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Behind the Orange Curtain
120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
did anyone get their posters?

[Show spoiler]
No, but I did get a T-shirt
"Know your place. Keep your place. Be a shoe."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #122
toddly6666 toddly6666 is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
toddly6666's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Hong Kong
20
912
57
224
59
Default

Don't know what all the negative reviews are about. I saw The Hobbit today in regular 2D and the movie was excellent! I was skeptical about the film being split into three films but after watching the first part, there really is no way to make this film with 1 or 2 films. There is no filler - the first and second parts are just as exciting as the last part. This is a film "adaptation" so yeah, there are some additions, but this movie was amazing and also followed most of the first part of the book perfectly. This also has the same pace and flow as Fellowship too. I see no difference between the two. I don't know how someone could love Fellowship but not love this.

Just watch the film in 2D first. The look of the film is amazing and blends smoothly together. Watching it with the 3D soap opera technology does not sound like it helps the film one bit.

All the acting was perfect too. Martin Freeman is really outstanding as Bilbo. The only thing I thought was funny was how Wood shows up as Frodo, and it's sort of obvious that Elijah Wood looks older and bigger.

Azog is a very awesome addition as main villain by the way. I was trying to remember if he was even in the book so I researched online, and they say he's only mentioned briefly.
And the testicle chin Goblin King is great as well!

Can someone explain this to me:
[Show spoiler] where are they going with the Necromancer? Are they setting it up that he's actually Sauron by the end of the final Hobbit film or something?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #123
raygendreau raygendreau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2008
1
Default

Saw this in HFR 3D today at noon. I am sold on 48 fps. Bring on 60 for Avatar 2, Cameron. The difference is most notable in fast pans and what would have been blurred movement (birds wings, butterflies in motion)

There were two theaters in the 22 theater complex showing The Hobbit in HFR 3D as well as the IMAX in non HFR 3D.

While I don't have an issue with side effects from watching 3D, and have had a 3D TV for 3 years, I accept the premise that 48 FPS should be more acceptable to people that may experience eyestrain and/or headaches with a lower framerate.

For Penton Man, the theaters showing HFR (Regal Ontario, CA.) were equipped with 4K SXRD Sony projectors with software that allows ever higher framerates (60 and above).

Looking forward the the rest of the trilogy. Someone mentioned
[Show spoiler]the flaming pinecone
. I was looking for it and I still flinched.
This is, by far, the best 3D I have seen!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #124
Angel Eyes Angel Eyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Angel Eyes's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas
4
208
3
Default

Very dissapointed in the film. Not even in the same ballpark as the Rings films, but maybe my expectations were too high.
Music Setup
Amp: Carver M1.0t (MK II 002 MOD)
Pre Amp: Carver C-1 (MOD)
TT: Thorens TD-160
Speakers: Bose 901 (Series IV, EQ MOD)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #125
lupinskitten lupinskitten is offline
Active Member
 
lupinskitten's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
USA
160
240
7
Default

Not sure why some wouldn't like this film -- for me, it was a brilliant starter for the new trilogy, and perfectly matches the LotR films in their epic scale. It's more comical, true, but this IS based on a children's story. I thought the changes accentuated Tolkien's genius rather than detracting. All in all, it was a marvelous way to spend an afternoon... but then, I'm one of the biggest Tolkien nutters on the planet, so I come in with an unabashed bias.
All who wander are not lost // J.R.R. Tolkien
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #126
Beast Beast is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Beast's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
376
3
Send a message via AIM to Beast
Default

Saw it today. First showing in HFR 3D. That's going to take a lot to get used to. Especially when on occasion when there's a lot of quick movement going on there tends to be a bit of Benny Hillesque speed-up going on. It's a bit distracting at times, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. The 3D is a bit of a waste though, and as usual in movies like this tends to make the backgrounds, especially in the wide vistas, look like poor CGI rather than real. I may catch another viewing in 2D to see if it's better. I'm not sure whether I like this more or worse than the Lord Of The Rings films. That's something to dwell on.

I enjoyed myself quite a bit. I like the tone change from Lord of the Rings quite a bit. It does remind me a lot of The Phantom Menace for exactly that reason. A lot more comical and focusing on some lighthearted charm. Some of the Dwarves antics and Radagast The Brown especially. I think it works for the movie, and I almost wish the Lord Of The Rings films would have had a bit more lighthearted moments after seeing this. But whatever.

The fight scenes on the whole were well done, and I appreciate the changes to the narrative... even though one of them seem out of a desire to not be compared to Twilight. Such as the Wargs not talking or being the main threat like they are in the book, and being reduced to mounts or hunting animals for the Orcs. The Pale Orc was a neat new character, like Lurtz from Fellowship. The Goblin King got a bit overly campy though... even including his death.

There's a lot of padding going on in the film, but I actually felt that a lot of it was fairly necessary. Such as actually seeing the flashback to Smaug's claiming of the Lonely Mountain. We get to see the power of the character, rather than having the story start off with the Dragon already having claimed the Mountain and not really showing up until Movie 2. I do appreciate that they didn't give you a good look at him though, saving that for Hobbit 2 was wise.

Fleshing out the White Council and the "Necromancer" stuff, which is just basically footnotes in the original story to get rid of Gandalf for chunks of the story was a good idea. Especially when Gandalf in this film is more of a Deus Ex Machina than he ever was in the entire Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. It doesn't help that each time it's almost the exact same way he does it. Especially since that stuff, while not as important here actually pays off more in LOTR.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.

Last edited by Beast; 12-15-2012 at 04:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #127
jbig31 jbig31 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jbig31's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Grandville MI
388
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Don't know what all the negative reviews are about. I saw The Hobbit today in regular 2D and the movie was excellent! I was skeptical about the film being split into three films but after watching the first part, there really is no way to make this film with 1 or 2 films. There is no filler - the first and second parts are just as exciting as the last part. This is a film "adaptation" so yeah, there are some additions, but this movie was amazing and also followed most of the first part of the book perfectly. This also has the same pace and flow as Fellowship too. I see no difference between the two. I don't know how someone could love Fellowship but not love this.

Just watch the film in 2D first. The look of the film is amazing and blends smoothly together. Watching it with the 3D soap opera technology does not sound like it helps the film one bit.

All the acting was perfect too. Martin Freeman is really outstanding as Bilbo. The only thing I thought was funny was how Wood shows up as Frodo, and it's sort of obvious that Elijah Wood looks older and bigger.

Azog is a very awesome addition as main villain by the way. I was trying to remember if he was even in the book so I researched online, and they say he's only mentioned briefly.
And the testicle chin Goblin King is great as well!

Can someone explain this to me:
[Show spoiler] where are they going with the Necromancer? Are they setting it up that he's actually Sauron by the end of the final Hobbit film or something?
[Show spoiler]The Necromancer/Sauron will be driven out by the combined power of the White Council. It is not dealt with directly in The Hobbit storyline, but it is inferred to happen in one of Gandalf's "absences" in the book.
BRGC Member / THE CLINTS CHARTER MEMBER 1/06/10
OBEY THE TOPUS
"Though he be but little, he is fierce." - Seabiscuit
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing. He cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds." -Secretariat

Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #128
assydingo assydingo is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
assydingo's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
499
19
3
Default

I loved it. As a fan of the LOTR movies it was exciting to see so much more of Middle Earth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #129
L-Rouge L-Rouge is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
L-Rouge's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
New Zealand
146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig31 View Post
[Show spoiler]The Necromancer/Sauron will be driven out by the combined power of the White Council. It is not dealt with directly in The Hobbit storyline, but it is inferred to happen in one of Gandalf's "absences" in the book.
[Show spoiler] wow the two are connected?, gotta read the book again. Extended Edition has got to have more detail with him, he was voiced by Benedict Cumberbach, but I don't recall any dialogue from the being, waste of talent otherwise
"In #Interstellar, if you didnít understand the plot, there is no published book to help you."

Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #130
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1214
288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
[Show spoiler] wow the two are connected?, gotta read the book again. Extended Edition has got to have more detail with him, he was voiced by Benedict Cumberbach, but I don't recall any dialogue from the being, waste of talent otherwise
he DID get mentioned in the end credits there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #131
cynatnite cynatnite is offline
Expert Member
 
cynatnite's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
236
196
31
Default

I was blown away by the quality and beauty of the film. It was stunning in 3D.

It took a little getting used to at first. The fast moving scenes were a bit odd to me, but after a while I became accustomed to the 48 fps.

I thought it went slow at times, but I also felt like the gorgeous scenes detracted from the story at times.

It was great to see some of the characters returning from the original LOTR. I thought I was going to miss having humans, but I enjoyed the new characters that were introduced. The actor portraying Bilbo is first rate.

Overall, I did love the film and I thought it was a good start for the prequel trilogy. I really can't wait for the rest.

Peter Jackson did not disappoint, IMO.

[Show spoiler]I don't understand the necromancer (sp?) stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #132
Duffy12 Duffy12 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Duffy12's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.
228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post

[Show spoiler]I don't understand the necromancer (sp?) stuff.

You will in parts II and III.

You just gotta wait a bit.

.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #133
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1214
288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I was blown away by the quality and beauty of the film. It was stunning in 3D.

It took a little getting used to at first. The fast moving scenes were a bit odd to me, but after a while I became accustomed to the 48 fps.

I thought it went slow at times, but I also felt like the gorgeous scenes detracted from the story at times.

It was great to see some of the characters returning from the original LOTR. I thought I was going to miss having humans, but I enjoyed the new characters that were introduced. The actor portraying Bilbo is first rate.

Overall, I did love the film and I thought it was a good start for the prequel trilogy. I really can't wait for the rest.

Peter Jackson did not disappoint, IMO.

[Show spoiler]I don't understand the necromancer (sp?) stuff.
in regard to your spoiler - just wiki
[Show spoiler]Sauron
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #134
AmrlKJaneway AmrlKJaneway is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AmrlKJaneway's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
62
180
175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy12 View Post
That's a very good point.

But as I was sitting there laughing at it,
[Show spoiler]I kept wondering why the heck they all of a sudden just came alive out of the side of the mountain and starting coming to blows with one another.

I mean, what the hell were they fighting for?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7-ngmO_p8
Cuz they're just evil. Remember the orcs in ROTK? The ones that were gonna eat Frodo, and kill each other in the process?

It's just the way evil folk are in Tolkien. It makes no sense that they could have any form of organization, especially as large as Mordor, but I like it. It's a contrast to the realistic villains we see these days, who sometimes have such a strong motive it could drive any of us insane. Tolkien's baddies are just bad, and can't get along with anyone, even themselves.

Bit over a week before this is out in Australia. I've got two kids films lined up for the next 2 or 3 weeks of cinema going, and then I'll catch The Hobbit a week or two after than. I'm sure this will have a long run in theatres and I don't need to rush out for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #135
Duffy12 Duffy12 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Duffy12's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.
228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Cuz they're just evil. Remember the orcs in ROTK? The ones that were gonna eat Frodo, and kill each other in the process?

It's just the way evil folk are in Tolkien. It makes no sense that they could have any form of organization, especially as large as Mordor, but I like it. It's a contrast to the realistic villains we see these days, who sometimes have such a strong motive it could drive any of us insane. Tolkien's baddies are just bad, and can't get along with anyone, even themselves.

It's not the same version that Tolkien's was.

When you see it you will understand what I am referring to.

.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #136
Steven Ribs Steven Ribs is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2010
Canada
Default

I'm seeing this in AVX HFR 3D will this be much different than the IMAX HFR? Not sure how big a difference the quality of IMAX or AVX HFR will be when I go on Tuesday, but I'm looking forward to it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #137
AmrlKJaneway AmrlKJaneway is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AmrlKJaneway's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
62
180
175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy12 View Post
It's not the same version that Tolkien's was.

When you see it you will understand what I am referring to.

.
I'll keep my mouth shut for a few weeks!

This is probably the only movie I'm anticipating that I'm trolling through the conversations of, clicking spoiler tags like a madman, all because I've read the book. But I have read a couple things I shouldn't have... and now I'm even trying to add to the conversation?

Pretentious, ain't I?

I was mainly looking for 3D quality. 2 1/2 hours of Transformers, coupled with junk food, made my boy throw up. 3 hours for what some say is "weak", others say is the "best ever"... I dunno what to do. There is no 48fps in my part of the world, so I'm thinking 2D, and watching 3D with the wife when it hits Blu (should have a new PJ by then)...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #138
L-Rouge L-Rouge is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
L-Rouge's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
New Zealand
146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
he DID get mentioned in the end credits there.
[Show spoiler]Yea, I made sure who he voiced when I saw his name. I just don't recall Necromancer speaking. Which makes me certain he has dialogue saved for the EE
"In #Interstellar, if you didnít understand the plot, there is no published book to help you."

Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #139
Snicket Snicket is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Snicket's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
331
1
22
Default

Did anybody see a PJ cameo?
"jump street merging with mib thats clean and rad and powerful" -Johna Hill, Oscar nominated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #140
bam777 bam777 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bam777's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Dallas, TX
3
839
123
1
125
Default

My review.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:59 AM.