Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Dec 2009
Indianapolis
Default PS3 or panasonic 220

I have had a PS3 for the past 1.5 years on my 3D tv but i have been hearing that a standalone player is better. i am really confused. Is the picture really better and i noticed the sound is different than on blu rays. the Panasonic is $77.00 I am curious of the replies..
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbo60 View Post
I have had a PS3 for the past 1.5 years on my 3D tv but i have been hearing that a standalone player is better. i am really confused. Is the picture really better and i noticed the sound is different than on blu rays. the Panasonic is $77.00 I am curious of the replies..
I'm not familiar with the Panasonic but the Ps3 is better or at least the equivalent to most stand alone players,if the Panny is $77 my guess is the Ps3 will be better than that.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.

Last edited by Villiam Hayes; 12-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Given the option, I would always go for the PS3. no fuss with firmware and the console itself is steady as a rock in my experience. Picture wise, i have not seen any better players.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

Dec 2009
Indianapolis

ok thanks guys..... I will stay with the PS3 for now
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Jan 2007

Unless you are going with an Oppo 103 or 105 I wouldn't swap out the PS3. Especially not for a <$100 player
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbo60 View Post
I honestly do not believe anyone has told you a $77 blu-ray player is going to beat a PS3. Sounds like your reaching, and I'm not sure what it is.
Main Theater Setup:
(Panasonic 65" HDTV) (Onkyo 5008 - (2)M-282 amps) (PS3 Slim 250gb)(XBOX360 4GB)
(Monitor Audio - RX2's - (4)RXFX - RX CENTER) (SVS - (2)PB12 Plus) (Harmony 1100) (Monster HDP-2400)
Bedroom Setup:
(Samsung LN40B610) (Onkyo 805) (Sony BDP-S570)(Monster HDP-1800)
(Klipsch - RW-12D - F2's - C2 - Quintet III's) (DIY 10" Sub) (Harmony 880)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #7

Dec 2012
Toronto

Does the PS3 play Audio with DTS-MA encoding?

The Panasonic 220 has great Video quality too beating many other standalone players. Its fast as well.

If not, and you have a *decent* setup - ie. Receiver with DTS-MA capability, I would get the Panasonic 220.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxp View Post
Does the PS3 play Audio with DTS-MA encoding?

The Panasonic 220 has great Video quality too beating many other standalone players. Its fast as well.

If not, and you have a *decent* setup - ie. Receiver with DTS-MA capability, I would get the Panasonic 220.
It certainly does include Dts-HD Master Audio and the P/Q on the Ps3 is second to none and it is no slouch.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

Dec 2009
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I honestly do not believe anyone has told you a $77 blu-ray player is going to beat a PS3. Sounds like your reaching, and I'm not sure what it is.
Actually i have read many reviews that says the panasonic BT220 is better than a PS3. It said it is one of the best stand alone players and CNET rated it very high. It better 3D audio and picture was comparable if not better it said. so yes they did say that. the player is normally $149.00 but on sale at frys for 77.00
Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Here's another thread http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209992 which may not include the Panasonic model but will certainly give you plenty of info on the Ps3,post #26 in particular let's you know what the Sony machine can do.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiam Hayes View Post
Here's another thread http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209992 which may not include the Panasonic model but will certainly give you plenty of info on the Ps3,post #26 in particular let's you know what the Sony machine can do.
That's not necessarily correct. Here's a much better link to a thread about the same topic, where a debate took place which ended up with one expert who believed the same, that couldn't refute the scientific findings of another expert.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201368
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
That's not necessarily correct. Here's a much better link to a thread about the same topic, where a debate took place which ended up with one expert who believed the same, that couldn't refute the scientific findings of another expert.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201368
Scientific findings,are we still talking about the Playstation?I posted the link as it is about the Ps3 as a machine and it's capabilities.
Whether post 26 is the gospel is debatable but hardly a major issue as I own a ps3 and almost all of that list is of no interest to me or probably most but should inform what the majority want to know.
Nothing is stopping anyone doing a bit of research themselves but to get back on topic the Panasonic seem's to be a good player but I certainly wouldn't pick it over the Playstation.

Last edited by Villiam Hayes; 12-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Scientific findings,are we still talking about the Playstation?I posted the link as it is about the Ps3 as a machine and it's capabilities.
Whether post 26 is the gospel is debatable but hardly a major issue as I own a ps3 and almost most of that list is of no interest to me or probably most but should inform what the majority want to know.
Nothing is stopping anyone doing a bit of research themselves but to get back on topic the Panasonic seem's to be a good player but I certainly wouldn't pick it over the Playstation.
The discussion in that thread ended up being about all blu-ray players in general, ps3 included. However the ps3 wasn't included as one of the players that the tests were peformed on, but there was talks of further testing being done where it was going to be included. The original findings from hometheaterhifi.com/secrets BD player benchmark was actually a very interesting read, and I was looking foward to seeing the results of future testing involving the ps3.

Edit: Here is a link to the orginal thread discussing hometheaterhifi.com's findings,

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=173568

however for some strange reason when you click on the link to the article in the 1st post of that thread, it no longer loads
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 12-18-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
The discussion in that thread ended up being about all blu-ray players in general, ps3 included. However the ps3 wasn't included as one of the players that the tests were peformed on, but there was talks of further testing being done where it was going to be included. The original findings from hometheaterhifi.com/secrets BD player benchmark was actually a very interesting read, and I was looking foward to seeing the results of future testing involving the ps3.

Edit: Here is a link to the orginal thread discussing hometheaterhifi.com's findings,

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=173568

however for some strange reason when you click on the link to the article in the 1st post of that thread, it no longer loads
Hmm,I'll say no more.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Hmm,I'll say no more.
That's a bit silly, ignorant and naive of you to just straight say that the ps3 is the same, and disregard scientific evidence showing that not all blu-ray players are created equal, regardless of whether the ps3 wasn't tested as one of the players in the initial stage. Who knows, the ps3 may or may not perform as well as some other players, this test would have answered that, however since other Sony players were tested and found to not be producing the correct signal, it certainly is possible that the ps3 isn't as well
Setup:
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
That's a bit silly, ignorant and naive of you to just straight say that the ps3 is the same, and disregard scientific evidence showing that not all blu-ray players are created equal, regardless of whether the ps3 wasn't tested as one of the players in the initial stage. Who knows, the ps3 may or may not perform as well as some other players, this test would have answered that, however since other Sony players were tested and found to not be producing the correct signal, it certainly is possible that the ps3 isn't as well
I wasn't saying any of that,I just found your first couple of lines contradicting when you stated "the discussion in that thread ended up being about all Blu-ray players in general,ps3 included,however the ps3 wasn't included....
Anyway it's no big deal as like I said before going back to the topic,I still believe the Sony machine is hard to beat as a Blu-ray player.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I wasn't saying any of that,I just found your first couple of lines contradicting when you stated "the discussion in that thread ended up being about all Blu-ray players in general,ps3 included,however the ps3 wasn't included....
Anyway it's no big deal as like I said before going back to the topic,I still believe the Sony machine is hard to beat as a Blu-ray player.
I think you may have misunderstood, based on that comment. It wasn't contradictory in the slightest. Just because it wasn't included in the testing, doesn't mean that people can't have a discussion on whether the ps3 would come up with similar results as the other players tested.
Setup:
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

I'm going to leave it there,Merry Xmas.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I'm going to leave it there,Merry Xmas.
Aahhhh, I understand now why you got confused and thought I contradicted myself, though I don't get how you could have taken it the way you did, if you had actually fully comprehended my post. Where I said "The discussion in that thread ended up being about all blu-ray players in general, ps3 included. However the ps3 wasn't included as one of the players that the tests were peformed on", what I meant in the 1st sentence was that the ps3 was included in the 'discussion', but in the 2nd sentence that it was included in the 'testing', (which I thought was outlined quite clearly). Which is 2 totally different things. Anyway... Merry Christmas
Setup:
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #20

Dec 2012
Toronto

Quote:
It certainly does include Dts-HD Master Audio and the P/Q on the Ps3 is second to none and it is no slouch.
Ah good to know.. Too bad I love the XBOX
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players