Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #41

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

Well I finished my rewiring and set up awhile ago.Once again I found the center is set to high using auto calibration mode.This was mentioned in one of the online reviews.I turned it down to -4 and it did'nt shut my receiver down on a couple of other movies that gave issues before.Then I put in TDKR. I did'nt turn it to my normal -20 but to -25.I think this is more than enough volume for this movie.I have come to the conclusion that everyone's systems are different.Some might be able to play this movie at -20 or even more but I am watching it at -24 or -25.I guess there is a limit my system can handle and this movie found it.It could be the receiver (afterall it is 4 years old) but I am happy with what I have.Not ready to upgrade hoping that Panasonic may someday come out with another receiver.If not when the time comes to change receivers I am going to get an Onkyo with neo x.Till then I will enjoy my system like I have for years.Thanks everybody for the input.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #42
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
yeah, the features were heavily stripped out in that particular model but I didn't realize it had a Class D amp.... intriquing (the nerd in me wants to find one to run it through it's paces )
Well not exactly, none of the prior models had those features either. This was just as far as they went with it, and never released any receivers that had OSD and so on. You can't really blame them, every release was met with careless reviews that equated physical weight with quality, or looked at a spec sheet and decided it must not be very good.

You can test the budget Class D on almost any of their prior models which are more affordable. However most of the lower models use optical/coax inputs. One key characteristic is the zero noise floor, the total silence between sounds. No background hiss or rumble at any volume. It takes some getting used to, leading some reviewers to call it dry.

Just today was checking out 'Paranorman', and there is a point near the end where the sound stops abruptly for awhile. With Panasonic it's as if your receiver has been shut off. Very impactful.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #43
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
Well I finished my rewiring and set up awhile ago.Once again I found the center is set to high using auto calibration mode.This was mentioned in one of the online reviews.I turned it down to -4 and it did'nt shut my receiver down on a couple of other movies that gave issues before.Then I put in TDKR. I did'nt turn it to my normal -20 but to -25.I think this is more than enough volume for this movie.I have come to the conclusion that everyone's systems are different.Some might be able to play this movie at -20 or even more but I am watching it at -24 or -25.I guess there is a limit my system can handle and this movie found it.It could be the receiver (afterall it is 4 years old) but I am happy with what I have.Not ready to upgrade hoping that Panasonic may someday come out with another receiver.If not when the time comes to change receivers I am going to get an Onkyo with neo x.Till then I will enjoy my system like I have for years.Thanks everybody for the input.
Hmm would still be curious if the F61 code shows up on the shutdowns. If you are having it on a couple other movies that would lean more to the side of an overload condition.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
interesting, it's class D... now that IS a plus there.

yeah, the features were heavily stripped out in that particular model but I didn't realize it had a Class D amp.... intriquing (the nerd in me wants to find one to run it through it's paces )

yeah, I'm thinking it's the dynamics. if you check the sine wave graphs for TDKR there are some pretty insane peaks in there... made my eyebrows raise at times wondering why it went that high
I'd be curious to see the graphs. Some people rip and graph the sound to analyze the bit rate and such, right? It would be interesting then to see graphs of the slope of that.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #45

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post
Hmm would still be curious if the F61 code shows up on the shutdowns. If you are having it on a couple other movies that would lean more to the side of an overload condition.
I have'nt noticed any codes.It happens very quickly.There is a click when I turn it back on,most likely a circuit breaker resetting.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #46
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
I have'nt noticed any codes.It happens very quickly.There is a click when I turn it back on,most likely a circuit breaker resetting.
Too bad, the F61 code not appearing keeps this a puzzle. If it were truly overload then you should see that appear. Also curious if you did the test with just headphone, high volume and speakers A & B off.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #47

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
Too bad, the F61 code not appearing keeps this a puzzle. If it were truly overload then you should see that appear. Also curious if you did the test with just headphone, high volume and speakers A & B off.
I called Panasonic and they said the code should come up when I turn the receiver back on.No codes so far.I have'nt tried the headphones yet but will.When I played the movie again (same scene) after rewire and auto speaker set up I turned the volume to -24 to -25.It was extremely loud and clear.I am very happy with this receiver and as long as this does'nt become a "all the time thing" I am going to say there is something in certain soundtracks my receiver is sensible to.BTW watched the new Ice Age in 3D and it played perfectly at -20.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
Special Member

Jan 2011

Tried a couple of discs and can't imagine playing them at -20. -30 was enough and -25 was starting to alert my pressure sensors. Not much damping in the room mind you and speaker efficiency will of course vary.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #49

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
Tried a couple of discs and can't imagine playing them at -20. -30 was enough and -25 was starting to alert my pressure sensors. Not much damping in the room mind you and speaker efficiency will of course vary.
When I had the Technics THX receiver -20 was reference.I just got used to using that as a standard, but there has been some movies that it was overkill with the SA-BX500 in the past.Never had any distortion.My room is 14.5' x 24' with doors on both sides so the sound stays in where it belongs.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #50
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
When I had the Technics THX receiver -20 was reference.I just got used to using that as a standard, but there has been some movies that it was overkill with the SA-BX500 in the past.Never had any distortion.My room is 14.5' x 24' with doors on both sides so the sound stays in where it belongs.
Yes as you know distortion is never the issue with this amp, for me it's just that at higher volumes it would be uncomfortable. I have some concert DVD's that seem to be lower level and have done -10 db with those, as long as I'm careful to watch the building pressure transducers and not to trip them.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #51

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
Yes as you know distortion is never the issue with this amp, for me it's just that at higher volumes it would be uncomfortable. I have some concert DVD's that seem to be lower level and have done -10 db with those, as long as I'm careful to watch the building pressure transducers and not to trip them.
I have some concerts that are even louder than alot of movies.I usually turn them down a few notches.Going to try the Resident Evil Retribution tomorrow.I heard it was another very loud soundtrack.Curious to see how it does.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #52
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
I have this receiver also but only in a 5.1 configuration. When I get The Dark Knight Rises I'll definitely test it out and see.

Might also hazard a guess that perhaps a subwoofer on the same circuit is demanding quick power simultaneously? Can you test with power to your actual subwoofer turned off? The subwoofer line is not amplified, so it would be interesting to see if the problem stays or goes away when the subwoofer isn't taking power.
Unless you have a passive subwoofer (extremely unlikely), a powered subwoofer won't put a load on your amplifier as it has its own. The amp is just there to send the line level LFE signal.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #53
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
Unless you have a passive subwoofer (extremely unlikely), a powered subwoofer won't put a load on your amplifier as it has its own. The amp is just there to send the line level LFE signal.
I think he means if the amp and the receiver are on the same ELECTRICAL circuit, pulling more amperage than the circuit can handle causing one or the other to shut off (the receiver in this case)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #54

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
I think he means if the amp and the receiver are on the same ELECTRICAL circuit, pulling more amperage than the circuit can handle causing one or the other to shut off (the receiver in this case)
My subs are in the rear of the room.I had thought of putting them on the left and right front, but with having my Technics SBM3's there I don't have the room.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

This is unusual to me! I've been using my receiver for years, and it never powered off automatically for anything, regardless how high my volume may be.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #56

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Just watched Resident Evil Retribution.Great audio and 3D as well.There were times though when the voices seemed a little low.Thinking of trying dialog enhancer in player's menu.Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Just watched Resident Evil Retribution.Great audio and 3D as well.There were times though when the voices seemed a little low.Thinking of trying dialog enhancer in player's menu.Any thoughts?
I noticed that too, had to boost it by 2db's in my receiver
Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #58

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Quote:
I noticed that too, had to boost it by 2db's in my receiver
I also noticed a few times on TDKR the same thing.I think the next action movie I watch I will try the dialog enhancer and see how it does.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #59
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Yes that's what I meant, a fluctuation in the current.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #60
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
I was watching The Dark Knight Rises with my volume at the usual -20.When it came to the scene where Batman flies out of the alley in the Bat my receiver shut down.The scene is very loud so I turned the receiver down a couple of db's and it was ok.Anybody know what could have caused this?My receiver is a Panasonic SA-Bx500.130 watts x 7.
OK finally got the film, what are the time code(s) ranges you want me to check out? Not planning to watch the movie at this time since we'll probably watch all 3 in order over the coming weeks.

Last edited by Neild; 12-26-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion