Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
Game of Thrones: Complete Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
$72.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 12-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia
Default New to the high-def world... LG 32'' 1080p, 32CS560

Two weeks ago, I took the 27" tube TV that I've owned since 2000 and gave it to donation. I had $450 on hand to buy a new setup, so I took a trip to Best Buy.

I purchased the LG, model 32CS560 32'' with the 1080p screen ($329), and a Samsung Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player ($70).

The only reason I even bother owning a television set is to watch movies.
I do not have cable service, antennae, or satellite by choice, since I don't take the time to watch television shows or sports events. I decided on a 32'', since living room space is limited, and this would be plenty larger than the screen space on my old television anyway.

I was initially eyeing a Samsung 32'' 720p television that was prominent with the Black Friday sales and such this time of year, but I saw this LG television for almost the same price. Both televisions had positive customer reviews online, overall, and that was the extent of my research aside from looking at both in the store.

I've always heard that the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32'' television screen is negligible at best. Since my only use for this television will be to hook it up to the Blu-ray player to watch Blu-rays and DVDs, however, I figured that I may as well have the 1080p picture.

I set up the LG television in five minutes, hooked up the HDMI cable between the television and Blu-ray Player, and started watching movies. Aside from the basic "Home Use" settings that I put up through the automatic setup when first turning the television on, I have not tweaked any of the picture quality settings at all.

So far, I have no regrets whatsoever. The Blu-rays that I had already owned (by planning ahead and purchasing the Blu-ray/DVD combo editions over the past year and by setting some money aside to upgrade my essential favorites) look astoundingly good, and I have not experienced any issues. My mind is blown from the novelty of all this after owning my old tube television for so long, and watching the high-def movies is a whole new world. The Blu-rays are amazing, and the DVDs that I own look almost as great on the 32'' screen.

I freely admit that, being new to watching high-def movies, I probably do not know enough about "ideal" picture settings and such for maximum effectiveness from the television, but everything looks amazing as is to my eyes.

So...

For those who have owned LG televisions in the past, are there any issues with these televisions that I should expect in months to come?

Are there any picture setting suggestions that you may have if I want to experiment with the settings? (I probably won't for now.)

I'd be interested to read any thoughts.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 12-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #2

May 2011
Astoria

Read post 2 of the following link, this calibration should work but it's always whatever looks best to you. A professional calibration may be Rey different from what you are used to but you get used to it very quickly.

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=13779
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Crossman View Post
Read post 2 of the following link, this calibration should work but it's always whatever looks best to you. A professional calibration may be Rey different from what you are used to but you get used to it very quickly.

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=13779
Thank you! I might give this a go in the future.

I've been thoroughly enjoying this television so far.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2011

I just bought this TV a week ago and am going to return it based on reviews I read on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0072B90R4/ref=aw_d_crstars_electronics?qid=1357409450&sr=8-1
Alice In Wonderland Amazon Exclusive w/film cell frame FS/FT

My FS/FT thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=214105
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I just bought this TV a week ago and am going to return it based on reviews I read on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0072B90R4/ref=aw_d_crstars_electronics?qid=1357409450&sr=8-1
Definitely understandable! The reviews are a mixed bag.

Maybe it's simply because I have no previous high definition experience to compare, but this television rocks my face so far. I only use it to watch Blu-ray movies, and the movies look astoundingly good to my eyes.

When I was browsing at Best Buy and considering this television, though, I scrolled the Amazon reviews and Best Buy customer reviews on my iPhone. The reviews gave me what I needed to make a sensible choice with the living space considerations/space considerations/etc. I had my mind set on a 32'' television, and this one looked to be a good one for that size, judging from the reviews.

The reviews were helpful, but I take everything with a grain of salt and use critical thinking to see where the reviewers are coming from. Many people do not bother writing an online review of a product unless they are ticked off, so the abundance of favorable reviews was cool.*

*Also, it's a hundred times better than trying to go by online reviews when shopping for a new mattress. I went through that misadventure last year.

I am interested to know if the television has any issues of which I should be aware in the coming months, a year from now, and so on. That's why I started the thread. The Best Buy and Amazon reviews are all fairly recent, though, so I could not ascertain the lasting value. For now, though, I'm a happy guy.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 01-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs