COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #401
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
371
112
125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus74 View Post
It's a beaut
thanks man!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #402
Magicmonger Magicmonger is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Magicmonger's Avatar
 
May 2010
O H I O Steelbooks™: 16
66
325
6
2
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
recv'r was still in the garage when i got home @ 8 2nite. so the unit is still cold as b@lls.

so i decided to take it out of the box so it could warm up to room temp. i'll be hooking this bad boy up 2morrow night.







Congrats BB. That's an awesome avr
Display Samsung LN52A650 / Remote Logitech Harmony One
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010 / HTPC nMediaPC 2000 (3TB)
Media DirecTV HR-22 / Oppo BDP-103 / Oppo DV-983H
Front Mirage OMD-28 / Center Mirage OMD-C2 / Surround Mirage OMD-5
Subwoofer Power Sound Audio XV15 (BASH) / Power Monster SS 5100 MKII
Cable AudioQuest Carbon Chocolate Cinnamon Forest Vodka / Emotiva X-Series
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #403
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
401
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
recv'r was still in the garage when i got home @ 8 2nite. so the unit is still cold as b@lls.

so i decided to take it out of the box so it could warm up to room temp. i'll be hooking this bad boy up 2morrow night.







Congrats on your 818 , and enjoy it , i'm enjoying mine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #404
gopala33 gopala33 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
pffft, at that short of range, get a 10 footer from Monoprice... 28 gauge is fine for that type of run
i see HDMI 28AWG AND 26AWG and lower AWG so be batter
28 gauge and 26 gauge any different
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #405
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
371
112
125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Congrats on your 818 , and enjoy it , i'm enjoying mine
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #406
Prox Prox is offline
Active Member
 
Prox's Avatar
 
May 2011
St. Louis Area
25
175
23
2
Default

I have an opportunity to pick up an Onkyo TX-8222 receiver. What's a good price range for this unit (assuming everything is in good working order)?
eBay is a rough gauge, as not many have been listed and those that sold were almost all won on a single bid. The current owner is asking $100, but of course I'm on the other end trying to pay as little as I can (reasonably) get away with.

I'm just getting into exclusively two-channel audio and would love any feedback on this receiver.
‎"Since you are about to die anyway, I may as well tell you the entire plot."
-Benedict, Last Action Hero
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #407
SenorHelsinki SenorHelsinki is offline
Junior Member
 
SenorHelsinki's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
St. Paul, MN
526
Send a message via Yahoo to SenorHelsinki
Default

Nice receiver Blu-Benny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #408
MyOleKYHome MyOleKYHome is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Hi all -

I'm looking into purchasing an Onkyo 818 or a Marantz 5007. Main reason why I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 818 is the XT32 capability (Marantz 5007 has only Multieq XT & is a bit more expensive). My only concern is the build quality of the Onkyo because I have read about issues with their Quality Control vs. Marantz. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #409
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
401
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOleKYHome View Post
Hi all -

I'm looking into purchasing an Onkyo 818 or a Marantz 5007. Main reason why I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 818 is the XT32 capability (Marantz 5007 has only Multieq XT & is a bit more expensive). My only concern is the build quality of the Onkyo because I have read about issues with their Quality Control vs. Marantz. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Well the 818 it's a very well constructed receiver at least it weights the double of the Marantz plus it has 2 fans to keep it cool . Also more bells and whistles than the Marantz . Yes the XT32 can be the main factor to pick this receiver but in overall price/quality the 818 wins hands down .
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #410
MyOleKYHome MyOleKYHome is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Well the 818 it's a very well constructed receiver at least it weights the double of the Marantz plus it has 2 fans to keep it cool . Also more bells and whistles than the Marantz . Yes the XT32 can be the main factor to pick this receiver but in overall price/quality the 818 wins hands down .
@Almadacr -

Thanks for the response. I'm totally on board with what your saying. I'm very interested in the capabilities of XT32 especially on its ability to set up multiple subwoofers (that is correct, right? - always thinking ahead. lol!). The 'bells and whistles' aren't a game-changer necessarily for me, but having these features will be something I can look into and learn more about. And definitely makes the performance to cost ratio much more favorable. I'm pretty much set on the 818, but always like that confirmation that it's a good choice.

BTW, your setup is AWESOME my friend! I'm looking forward to having a projector setup in the future Thanks again for your thoughts above. Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #411
Schultzy Schultzy is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Schultzy's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
23
152
7
Default

Well...I had a 605 for quite a while. I decided to upgrade this past April. I went with the 709. I had a few small issues with it at first, but tried to deal with it. Since I am insanely picky with my HT stuff, I couldn't deal with it anymore, plus more problems kept popping up with the 709. I had to send my 709 to a service center in California. After 2 months or so, they said they couldn't fix it and a new 717 showed up at my door.

At first, I was happy. Until I looked up the specs of the 717. I apparently lose my standard 1080p video processing, but its hard to tell that for sure from the specs. The main thing is the downgrade from audssey XT to 2eq.

I called Onkyo and asked if I could get the 818 instead and pay the difference, but they won't do that. I would like to sell my 717 and buy a 809 or an 818. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest

Last edited by Schultzy; 12-19-2012 at 08:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #412
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
371
112
125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOleKYHome View Post
@Almadacr -

Thanks for the response. I'm totally on board with what your saying. I'm very interested in the capabilities of XT32 especially on its ability to set up multiple subwoofers (that is correct, right? - always thinking ahead. lol!). The 'bells and whistles' aren't a game-changer necessarily for me, but having these features will be something I can look into and learn more about. And definitely makes the performance to cost ratio much more favorable. I'm pretty much set on the 818, but always like that confirmation that it's a good choice.

BTW, your setup is AWESOME my friend! I'm looking forward to having a projector setup in the future Thanks again for your thoughts above. Cheers!
the 818 is @ a great price right now too!! it dropped to $750 over the weekend and was @ $680 for a couple days as well!!

i ordered the 818 this past weekend and will be hooking it up 2nite!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #413
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
401
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOleKYHome View Post
@Almadacr -

Thanks for the response. I'm totally on board with what your saying. I'm very interested in the capabilities of XT32 especially on its ability to set up multiple subwoofers (that is correct, right? - always thinking ahead. lol!). The 'bells and whistles' aren't a game-changer necessarily for me, but having these features will be something I can look into and learn more about. And definitely makes the performance to cost ratio much more favorable. I'm pretty much set on the 818, but always like that confirmation that it's a good choice.

BTW, your setup is AWESOME my friend! I'm looking forward to having a projector setup in the future Thanks again for your thoughts above. Cheers!
Thank you for your comment , i love the Vtuner app since i can listen radio stations from around the world , also the ability to plug in a external Hard Drive and listen all my FLAC files is also great . Yes the XT32 will set dual subs and it did made a difference in mines .

Also this receiver handles really well the speakers of course more demanding speakers will always be better wit some external amplification and it comes ready for it with pre-outs .
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #414
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
401
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
the 818 is @ a great price right now too!! it dropped to $750 over the weekend and was @ $680 for a couple days as well!!

i ordered the 818 this past weekend and will be hooking it up 2nite!!
Don't forget to tell us your impressions on it .
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #415
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
254
836
34
222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Thank you for your comment , i love the Vtuner app since i can listen radio stations from around the world , also the ability to plug in a external Hard Drive and listen all my FLAC files is also great . Yes the XT32 will set dual subs and it did made a difference in mines .

Also this receiver handles really well the speakers of course more demanding speakers will always be better wit some external amplification and it comes ready for it with pre-outs .
also, for you 818 owners who don't know, you can stream your hi-rez FLAC or any rez audio you have from either a computer or a NAS via ethernet or the optional wi-fi* and for FLAC you can stream up to 192/24 in all it's glory, no problem.

don't know if you can stream 192/24 via wi-fi for this unit, but it a sure thing with hardwired networking! throw a gigabit NAS onto your system and your in Hi-Rez audio heaven!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #416
Remo Remo is offline
Senior Member
 
Remo's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Michigan
12
154
24
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
also, for you 818 owners who don't know, you can stream your hi-rez FLAC or any rez audio you have from either a computer or a NAS via ethernet or the optional wi-fi* and for FLAC you can stream up to 192/24 in all it's glory, no problem.

don't know if you can stream 192/24 via wi-fi for this unit, but it a sure thing with hardwired networking! throw a gigabit NAS onto your system and your in Hi-Rez audio heaven!
How about mutli-channel FLAC, I was bummed that my 1009 doesn't support it.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #417
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
254
836
34
222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
How about mutli-channel FLAC, I was bummed that my 1009 doesn't support it.
i'd probably say no for the network streaming and a possible, but most likely no to the usb. yes of course via hdmi. i looked at the manual but it didn't state yes or now about multichannel support from network or usb. of course i really just glanced over the manual. you can download it and check for that.

for right now, 2 channel is the only definite yes that i can give you for every format for networking and usb.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #418
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
401
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
also, for you 818 owners who don't know, you can stream your hi-rez FLAC or any rez audio you have from either a computer or a NAS via ethernet or the optional wi-fi* and for FLAC you can stream up to 192/24 in all it's glory, no problem.

don't know if you can stream 192/24 via wi-fi for this unit, but it a sure thing with hardwired networking! throw a gigabit NAS onto your system and your in Hi-Rez audio heaven!
True but the gap between songs it's bigger on a wireless or wired connection that becomes a bit annoying if you are listening to a live album . The best option IMO is to have a media pc connected via HDMI and use WMP or other program that fits better to each user ( i use BS Player ) .

I need to try something at 192/24 thanks for the idea
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #419
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
371
112
125
Default

I got an email from Onkyo last night!!

They are sending me packaging as well as instructions w/what I need to do to get my 708 sent in, fixed, and returned w/o any cost to me!!!

I went onto amazon and printed off a copy of my order receipt….hope that they accept it.

So we’ll see how it goes. If it gets fixed, I’ll sell the 708 to my old man for $100-$150. take some of the sting out of the price for the 818.
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #420
browndk26 browndk26 is offline
Senior Member
 
browndk26's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Louisville, KY
10
Default

Onkyo nr-709 ordered today. Hoping to have it by next thursday. Then I have 2 days off to connect it and play around with it.
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, WII, Sony PS3
Living Room-JVC AV-48WP30, Sony DAV-HDX500
Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.