Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

View Poll Results: Which team is going to win the 2014 Stanley Cup?
Kings in 4 games 0 0%
Kings in 5 games 7 29.17%
Kings in 6 games 11 45.83%
Kings in 7 games 1 4.17%
Rangers in 4 games 0 0%
Rangers in 5 games 0 0%
Rangers in 6 games 2 8.33%
Rangers in 7 games 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #10401
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

As Expected Players voted overwhelmingly to file disclaimer of interest

Quote:
The players in the NHLPA have overwhelming voted to enable the union to file a disclaimer of interest.

As expected. The uncertainty and pressure that this puts on both sides could lead to an end to this lockout. However, this could end up further devastating the negotiating process if one or both sides instead decide to focus their attention on the court battle that would ensue if the union dissolves. As it is, the CBA talks have been at a standstill while we inch closer to the mid-January deadline to save the season.

Source: Helene St. James on Twitter
Dec 21 - 1:44 PM
83+12 = 6 Congrats to the 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

2014 Detroit Tigers 90-72 AL Central Champs
2014 Detroit Red Wings 0-0
2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
2014 MSU Spartans Football 3-1 #9
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #10402
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Bettman isnt the problem, he works for the owners. What they want he wants. Also he saved canadian franchises such as calgary and ottawa in the 90s when the dollar was just garbge in canada. He isnt really that bad
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #10403
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold BUTTERS View Post
Bettman isnt the problem, he works for the owners. What they want he wants. Also he saved canadian franchises such as calgary and ottawa in the 90s when the dollar was just garbge in canada. He isnt really that bad
And he brokered the deal that brought Winnipeg back into the NHL.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver
Some Polk Audio Speakers and an Infninity Sub
There's also a Wii kickin around the mix!

THERE'S SOMETHING MOVIN AND IT AIN'T US!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #10404
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

and that's why he is booed everywhere he goes in the USA and Canada because he "isn't that bad"...not to mention even players refer to him as an idiot

maybe he will seek political asylum in Winnipeg..he did give you one season of hockey

Last edited by punisher; 12-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #10405
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
and that's why he is booed everywhere he goes in the USA and Canada because he "isn't that bad"...not to mention even players refer to him as an idiot

maybe he will seek political asylum in Winnipeg..he did give you one season of hockey
He's an easy target, being the NHL BOG's spokesperson. Surely you don't expect fans to boo there own owners or team, do you?
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10406
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Nike anti-lockout ad

Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #10407
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Whats hockey? I've never heard that word before
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #10408
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold BUTTERS View Post
Bettman is a good source of the problems, some of the stuff he did was probably good when the US economy was at an all time high, but in recent years he has done notihng but make horrible decisions in regards to TV contracts and current franchises.

I understand he is dealing with a league whos profitability is not where it should be but it is his responsibility to fix that. Right now he has a national contract with NBC, but where are the primetime NHL games similar to MLB NBA and NFL. We bairly see any games on National TV here in primetime in the states that are not local games on local channels. Bettman is more concerned with getting the NHL into southern markets to try and take away from the College football market tehn he is with restoring integrity to a league whos reputation is now possibly tarnished beyond repair.

Honestly he should be working to create a brand by having NBC market the games on a national stage similar to what the NBA, MLB, and NFL have. NFL has Sunday night football on NBC. MLB has Sat/Sunday games on Fox, and the NBA has Sunday games on ABC. Bettman could easily negotiate for Sat night games on NBC every Sat to help push the game into a national stage instead of a regional stage which would help National TV revenues for all franchises. He should be negotiating for rights to put 1/2 games per week on ESPN or ESPN 2 instead of weekly games on NBCsports network which most of the country does not even get.

The owners dont negotiatie the National TV contract the league does that, the only thing the owners negotiate is there own private regional contracts which for us in Detroit we are lucky we get the wings games on FSD.

Bettman should be working to get a team back in Hartford and Quebec, he should also be working to expand into Canada, and find some way to get Hockey Night in Canada broadcast nationally on Mondays or Friday Nights, in the USA. Don Cherry as annoying as he is to me is probably the perfect person to do this with his famboyant style.

There are plenty of things the NHL itself can do without the owners approval to expand the game and these issues listed above allf all under Gary Bettman and the core of the league, for the reasons listed above this is why Bettman needs to go.
83+12 = 6 Congrats to the 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

2014 Detroit Tigers 90-72 AL Central Champs
2014 Detroit Red Wings 0-0
2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
2014 MSU Spartans Football 3-1 #9
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #10409
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
He's an easy target, being the NHL BOG's spokesperson. Surely you don't expect fans to boo there own owners or team, do you?

Guess you have never been to NY..if you don't perform you get booed..players, owners, gm's, doesn't matter. we pay big bucks to see teams, like Rangers, Yanks, Giants, Jets, Knicks so we expect teams to play hard and do well.

Gary Bettman has a responsibility to the game and the league as a hole and he has done nothing but be a "hole". Surely the commissioner can advise the owners that they need to adjust and compromise but he doesn't. How could he, he knows nothing about the game and was an NBA employee. He cares zero about the fans whose money this is all about. Certainly there has to be someone better out there who recognizes that they are fighting over revenues which amount to zero with no games being played.

a 50-50 split of 0= 0
a 5 year limit on a contract of player sitting at home = ?
a 10 year CBA with an out option of 8 years with no season = ?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #10410
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Guess you have never been to NY..if you don't perform you get booed..players, owners, gm's, doesn't matter. we pay big bucks to see teams, like Rangers, Yanks, Giants, Jets, Knicks so we expect teams to play hard and do well.

Gary Bettman has a responsibility to the game and the league as a hole and he has done nothing but be a "hole". Surely the commissioner can advise the owners that they need to adjust and compromise but he doesn't. How could he, he knows nothing about the game and was an NBA employee. He cares zero about the fans whose money this is all about. Certainly there has to be someone better out there who recognizes that they are fighting over revenues which amount to zero with no games being played.

a 50-50 split of 0= 0
a 5 year limit on a contract of player sitting at home = ?
a 10 year CBA with an out option of 8 years with no season = ?
Yes, but owners as whole, as in an entire league don't get booed. That's why in the case of the NHL, Bettman gets picked on.

He's the face, mouth, spokesperson, owners rep, or whatever you want to him, who doesn't not have a seat on the BOG. He answers to the owners, and they direct him. So blaming him is incorrect, and misguided.

As for you quick stats, I believe the tweet from the depths of the NHLPA bargaining team that stated the players were and are ready to play, but Fehr talked them into holding out. I don't see how that's Bettman's fault, or the owners.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Last edited by Grumpz; 12-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #10411
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
As for you quick stats, I believe the tweet from the depths of the NHLPA bargaining team that stated the players were and are ready to play, but Fehr talked them into holding out. I don't see how that's Bettman's fault, or the owners.

you couldn't be more wrong
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #10412
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
you couldn't be more wrong
then explain
Quote:
The players in the NHLPA have overwhelming voted to enable the union to file a disclaimer of interest.

As expected. The uncertainty and pressure that this puts on both sides could lead to an end to this lockout. However, this could end up further devastating the negotiating process if one or both sides instead decide to focus their attention on the court battle that would ensue if the union dissolves. As it is, the CBA talks have been at a standstill while we inch closer to the mid-January deadline to save the season.

Source: Helene St. James on Twitter
Dec 21 - 1:44 PM
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #10413
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

So they can file an antitrust suit against the league as a monopoly . It could void all contracts and forfeit all union privileges but the league would have to answer to the Federal government for the lockout

They would also be libel for the players salaries since they have signed players to contracts as individuals not as group
The league would have no legal right to lockout non union employees

Last edited by punisher; 12-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #10414
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
So they can file an antitrust suit against the league as a monopoly . It could void all contracts and forfeit all union privileges but the league would have to answer to the Federal government for the lockout

They would also be libel for the players salaries since they have signed players to contracts as individuals not as group
?
Quote:
The league would have no legal right to lockout non union employees
think about it, without contracts they are not employees
Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #10415
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

The contracts are signed by players with teams not the union. The teams have to honor the contracts which means with no union there is no CBA and no legal way to lockout the players. By law they are responsible to pay or play the players or both.
If they try to lockout the players they can be sued as a monopoly. If they try to void the contracts it will take a huge amount of time and expense as both parties must agree on settlements and how the contract is to be voided but in the meantime salaries must be paid.
That is why the owners are panicking and hired a lawyer to give the case to judge to legalize the lockout. I doubt a judge, unless pressured would rule in the owners favor if the union is dissolved. It is the owners who have been walking out not the NHLPA so as far as the owners claim of unfair labor practice it holds no water. Instead it has been the owners who have been bargaining in bad faith.

It also opens up a huge can of worms that the owners do not want as they would turn on each other. If a team, let's say the Penguins, wants to void Crosby's contract, Sid can say no and go to court, or say, gimme a few days to think about. During that time he can talk to any other team about a deal, say ok I agree to void and goodbye to Pittsburgh and sign with whoever gave him the best offer.There would also be no cap so big money teams could sign an all star team and spend all they want. If the owners agree not to do that, they can then be sued for collusion.
Believe you me, the owners are terrified about the union dissolving. Only stupidity would allow it to happen and the consequences would be huge in the players favor as far as money goes.
The teams would also have to compensate the players for selling jerseys with the players names as well as using their images and names in advertising.
The players of course would lose important rights such as minimum pay, medical coverage, pension plans, and the right to appeal suspension and the misuse of players to and from minor leagues. And of course the right to strike, but they could unionize again to allow that and to get a CBA.

The NHLPA is trying to do the right thing but the owners want it their way or else. That or else could be their downfall and the league's.

Last edited by punisher; 12-24-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #10416
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

Merry Christmas to all my hockey fans in here
When i got home that evening, I went straight to the garage and practiced my draw and SHOUT techniques as well as my roll, somersault and aim drills and made myself a promise that I would never ever be caught off-guard again.-dfinch

SF GIANTS 2010 & 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #10417
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navster View Post
Merry Christmas to all my hockey fans in here
On that, we ALL agree buddy, Merry Christmas to all (ok well maybe not to the NHL lol)
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #10418
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
On that, we ALL agree buddy, Merry Christmas to all (ok well maybe not to the NHL lol)
That's why I said to the fans
When i got home that evening, I went straight to the garage and practiced my draw and SHOUT techniques as well as my roll, somersault and aim drills and made myself a promise that I would never ever be caught off-guard again.-dfinch

SF GIANTS 2010 & 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #10419
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #10420
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

Tags