Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Frankenstein Created Woman (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Co. Cork, Ireland
Default Region Free Bluray player recommendations

Hello everyone

I am living in Ireland and there are a lot of Region A locked titles that I am interested in getting and I was wondering if you could recommend a region free bluray player for me that would be under $250/€200? (including shipping)

also, if I was to buy a region A player from the US, would it work over here? Cheers!
MY SET-UP:

Panasonic P55VT65 3D Plasma TV/Onkyo 5.1/Samsung BD-F6500 3D Region B Blu-ray player/LG BD-611 Region Free Blu-ray player

Robin Williams: 1951-2014 - Rest in Peace
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #2

Aug 2009

Try this link, adjusting your budget a little would help.
http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=159

Importing a player costs money, weight and transit insurance. What about the waranty?

Electricity issues are not commonly a problem. Either the player is made to go any where, or a step dow transformer with enough watts is affordable
Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Aug 2009

Sam--Did you have a look at the link I gave you?
I have used them before my self.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #4

Oct 2012

I live in the UK and like yourself, I needed a machine for playing region A discs. I bought a region A player back in 2009 and after shipping , taxes etc it came up to 160 or thereabouts. However you WILL need to a good quality step down transformer and they cost around 40. The machine works fine in the main but on grainy parts, it looks more like noise than film grain. I believe the transformer affects this since I tried a voltage converter as well and the problem became even worse.

So to summarise, you CAN use a region a player in Ireland, its relatively inexpensive to get one but the transformer will cost a pretty penny and may degrade the picture (I think that it does).

If i had to do it again, I'd get a region-free player. They were around 400 in 2009 but seem to be a lot cheaper now.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Co. Cork, Ireland

Stratford, yes I had a look at the link, thanks a lot.

Yes I think I will go for a region free player.
MY SET-UP:

Panasonic P55VT65 3D Plasma TV/Onkyo 5.1/Samsung BD-F6500 3D Region B Blu-ray player/LG BD-611 Region Free Blu-ray player

Robin Williams: 1951-2014 - Rest in Peace
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

Nov 2012
U.K.

I also need a multi region or region free blu ray player. I already have a good Panasonic home Cinema blu ray system, so if I was to get a region free blu ray player could I hook it up to my home cinema so i can still have the benefit of all the speakers when I am using it. Has any one done this here.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

Aug 2009
Default ***** zerocool44 *****

So we can help you exactly which player do you have?
jvbdigital are a good place to start
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
England
United Kingdom

Anyone used FirmwareInfo.com? How much do you have to 'donate' and does it actually work?

Cheers

PSN: Goofy_Wookie
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Banned

Dec 2012

yeah,i think so,I also need a multi region or region free blu ray player. I already have a good Panasonic home Cinema blu ray system
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Oct 2011

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a similar question;

I do not own a blu-ray player at all yet as I've watched all my movies on my PC so far, but I'm getting sick of struggling to keep it region free so instead I'm looking into playing at least one region's discs on a player and the rest on my PC.

Now the question is, can anyone recommend a cheap blu-ray player that can be modded region free for DVDs and it'll stay that way? I read something about LG "fixing" this "bug" on one of their players so it could no longer be made region free for DVD playback and I really, really don't want something idiotic like that to happen

(I swear, times like these make me wish HD-DVD had won)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

Aug 2009
Default ******Takeshi666****

If I am not misunderstanding, and you only want the DVD part to be region free, DVD43 will do things for the PC.

For a set top player, a famous auction site has hand sets that send some codes to the player to make it region free for DVD. They are cheaper than 2 hours at legal min.

If I have spelt it right on one side of the ocean 220-electronics are well thought of for the blu ray part or the other side of the ocean there is multiregion magic

For any body, bluraychip.dk have easy any solder free mod kits for 1/2 dozen good brand players
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
I'm gonna hijack this thread for a similar question;

I do not own a blu-ray player at all yet as I've watched all my movies on my PC so far, but I'm getting sick of struggling to keep it region free so instead I'm looking into playing at least one region's discs on a player and the rest on my PC.

Now the question is, can anyone recommend a cheap blu-ray player that can be modded region free for DVDs and it'll stay that way? I read something about LG "fixing" this "bug" on one of their players so it could no longer be made region free for DVD playback and I really, really don't want something idiotic like that to happen

(I swear, times like these make me wish HD-DVD had won)
There really are no cheap options for region free players that is if you want the region free option to last. Your best options are either having a company make a permanent hardware mod or you can purchase a removable hardware mod for certain players. Neither are what I would call cheap but they work and will last.

Some of the old Insignia players had region free firmware but those are no longer available for purchase as new. You might be able to find a refurbished one but you'll have to make sure an old firmware is loaded. The down side is that some of the newer titles may not play.

Remember that Blu-ray was region free early on during the format war too. Had HD-DVD won there's no telling if they would have added region coding to their specs.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2008

i had best buy order one of the old insignia players for me from another store

did the remote hack and its region free

only cost 50 bucks too which was nice
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #14

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
There really are no cheap options for region free players that is if you want the region free option to last. Your best options are either having a company make a permanent hardware mod or you can purchase a removable hardware mod for certain players. Neither are what I would call cheap but they work and will last.
I was speaking of DVD regions, I already know that blu-ray region hacking set-top players is nigh impossible, and pre-modded players cost an arm and a leg.

In fact, region free blu-ray players are so expensive it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another player and have one for A and another for B! (C is pretty much irrelevant) And that's including the necessary power converters so I could plug a US player into an Euro socket.

I guess I'd just be better off buying that Samsung player I was ogling at a while back despite having to do the whole "push a whole lot of buttons just to switch regions" thing.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
I was speaking of DVD regions, I already know that blu-ray region hacking set-top players is nigh impossible, and pre-modded players cost an arm and a leg.

In fact, region free blu-ray players are so expensive it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another player and have one for A and another for B! (C is pretty much irrelevant) And that's including the necessary power converters so I could plug a US player into an Euro socket.

I guess I'd just be better off buying that Samsung player I was ogling at a while back despite having to do the whole "push a whole lot of buttons just to switch regions" thing.
best region free dvd player is the oppo 981
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Special Member

Sep 2008

this also http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ultra-Com...ree+dvd+player
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan1545d View Post
Is that a US or European model. I know Sony's players, whether DVD or Blu-ray, aren't known for easy region free modding. In addition Sony's US players usually are never PAL compatible. That makes me wonder if the player being offered in that link is an European model or if it has been hardware modded.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:

In fact, region free blu-ray players are so expensive it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another player and have one for A and another for B (C is pretty much irrelevant) And that's including the necessary power converters so I could plug a US player into an Euro socket.

I don't know if this is still true but Denon DVD players were pretty easy to be made region free. Back at that time all you had to do was press a series of buttons to make the player region free and it stayed that way, even after powering off the player, until you changed it back. Of course those codes aren't published thus you'd have to find a player where someone has already discovered and published the code.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

I've just received confirmation from bluraychip.dk that they're going to offer a solder-free mod for the Pioneer BDP-150 in January.
I assume it's going to be the same price as the BDP-140 mod which is $99 (€75) including worldwide shipping. The Pioneer 150 can be had for around €120 so that would be around €195 total.
Their mods are really easy to install and can also be removed without a trace in case you need to return it under warranty.

Last edited by Nisei; 12-23-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Is that a US or European model. I know Sony's players, whether DVD or Blu-ray, aren't known for easy region free modding. In addition Sony's US players usually are never PAL compatible. That makes me wonder if the player being offered in that link is an European model or if it has been hardware modded.
i have no idea

honestly id hunt down an oppo even though itll run u over 100 bucks

its truly worth it

i snagged one off woot.com years ago for 99 bucks and the thing has been flawless
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders