Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
X-Men Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.39
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1241
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Thanks mig0! Good week. I also forgot that MIB III Got a Friday release, so that should help the sales for TDKR week. But it's not like it really needs any help lol
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #1242
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

'Dark Knight Rises' Dominates Sales Charts

Quote:
Batman fever gripped home video consumers the week ended Dec. 9, as Warner Home Video’s The Dark Knight Rises and a trilogy with all three of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman films topped the national home video sales chart.

The Dark Knight Rises debuted at No. 1 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart. Debuting at No. 2 was the Dark Knight Trilogy set, which includes Dark Knight Rises as well as 2005’s Batman Begins and 2008’s The Dark Knight.

Sony Pictures’ Men in Black 3 slipped to No. 3 on First Alert after debuting the prior week at No. 2, while Walt Disney Studios’ Brave finished at No. 4 after topping the chart a week earlier. Rounding out the First Alert top 5 was another Disney title, Finding Nemo, making its Blu-ray Disc debut.

On the Blu-ray Disc sales chart, Nemo debuted at No. 3, with Men in Black 3 falling to No. 4 from No. 1 the previous week and Brave slipping to No. 5 from No. 2.

With Christmas fast approaching, three Warner holiday titles from years past are back on the overall disc sales chart: Elf at No. 9, Christmas Vacation at No. 11 and The Polar Express at No. 16. All three titles have been back in the First Alert top 100 for six weeks.

On Home Media Magazine‘s rental chart for the week, Men in Black 3 remains at No. 1 for the second consecutive week, with Anchor Bay’s Lawless moving up a notch to No. 2 from its No. 3 debut the previous week.

The Sony Pictures comedy Hope Springs debuted at No. 3. The film stars Tommy Lee Jones and Meryl Streep as a middle-age couple seeking to reignite the spark in their marriage after 30 years together and grossed $63.5 million in U.S. theaters.

Hope Springs debuted at No. 7 on the First Alert sales chart.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...s-charts-29096

Last edited by Bishop_99; 12-13-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #1243
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

68% BD market share is good. I guess I got a bit a head of myself with the 80% guess . It would have been great if the studio would have released the actual sales, but that rarely happens .

pretty certain the Blu-ray sales passed that of Prometheus, but with such a big release, the DVD owners were busy shopping for this and made the BD market share smaller than the others that have topped 70%. Plenty of movies in the top 20 passed the 50% mark so the revenue data and pie chart should look pretty Blu next week.

Blu-Titan, so far like 3 new theatrical films have passed the 70% BD market share right? The Avengers, Prometheus and Spiderman?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #1244
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop_99 View Post
68% BD market share is good. I guess I got a bit a head of myself with the 80% guess .
there was also 75% fror the trilogy
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #1245
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
there was also 75% fror the trilogy
True, good point. I overlooked that. That Trilogy probably lowered the BD market share for TDKR a little bit.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #1246
Special Member

Nov 2009
UK

Remember when Fox announced Avatar sales...it seems like all studios have stopped that now, for whatever reason.

Funny how all three of the Christmas movies on the list have been released by Warner.
Wishlist Over the Hedge (Dreamworks), Lemony Snicket's (Paramount), Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition (Warner Brothers)

Sale Items Beauty and the Beast, Inception, Toy Story 3, District 9 & Karate Kid PM please :)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #1247
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk_Tan View Post
Remember when Fox announced Avatar sales...it seems like all studios have stopped that now, for whatever reason.

Funny how all three of the Christmas movies on the list have been released by Warner.
Yes, that was a good bit of rare info. To me, it seems that the studios only release that data when the movie breaks records and they can get more publicity from it. star Wars is another film that comes to mind. At least we can get estimates from The-numbers.com
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #1248
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop_99 View Post
Yes, that was a good bit of rare info. To me, it seems that the studios only release that data when the movie breaks records and they can get more publicity from it. star Wars is another film that comes to mind. At least we can get estimates from The-numbers.com
yeah, it has always been for true top sellers (i.e. when there is some reason for the announcement)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #1249

Nov 2012

Alright, have a good one. It's true that it's been pretty slow but I can at least post the HMM report for each week, the top 20's, and the charts from The-numbers until you get back, if you want. Just to keep the thread going.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1250
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #1251
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Thanks Titan. Should be good this week with Ted and the latest Bourne.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #1252
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Excellent! Pretty impressive week. It will be interesting to see if TDKR can hold on to the top spot or will Legacy and Ted take first place..... Hopefully The-numbers.com will update their sales data soon enough to get a good idea of how many copies of TDKR were sold on its first week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/16/12

'Ted' Comes Alive on the Sales Charts

Quote:
Universal Studios Home Entertainment was the big home video winner the week ended Dec. 16, as the comedy Ted knocked Warner’s The Dark Knight Rises from the top spot on both national sales charts.

Fueled by nearly half of unit sales coming from Blu-ray Disc — an unusually high percentage, for a comedy — Ted, which earned $218.7 million in U.S. theaters, topped both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.

Another Uni release, The Bourne Legacy, debuted at No. 3 on both charts, with insiders reporting disc sales on a level with the original The Bourne Identity a decade ago, in the glory days of DVD. The Bourne Legacy generated 59% of its first-week sales from Blu-ray, according to Nielsen.

Bowing at No. 4 on both charts was Ice Age: Continental Drift, from 20th Century Fox, the $161 million-grossing fourth theatrical installment in the popular animated franchise.

Rounding out the top five overall was Disney’s Brave. No. 5 on the Blu-ray chart was Warner’s Dark Knight Trilogy — consisting of all three of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies.

Poised to make a splash on the sales chart for the week ending Dec. 23 is Universal’s Perfect Pitch, which came out Tuesday and in a single day sold out 30% of its entire shipment at one large retail chain. Retailers are reporting sales of the film are two to three times what they expected.

On Home Media Magazine’s weekly rental chart, 20th Century Fox’s The Watch took the No. 1 spot, rising from No. 85 the previous week now that its 28-day holdback from Netflix and Redbox is over.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...s-charts-29140

Blu-ray Sales, December 10-16: Ted's Misbehavior Scores Top Sales
Quote:
For the week that ended on December 16th, Universal Studios' Ted won the top sales position on both the Blu-ray-only and overall package media charts. The film is the first live-action feature from Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, and the audience interest that MacFarlane has built up over the last ten years certainly bolstered his cinematic debut - the $50 million comedy grossed over $500 million worldwide. In terms of its home media showings, Ted bested even The Dark Knight Rises, and it had an HD market share of 49%.

Second place in the Blu-ray-only and overall package media charts belonged to Warner Home Entertainment's The Dark Knight Rises. Director Christopher Nolan's final entry in his Academy Award-winning Dark Knight trilogy suffered in comparison to Ted's figures; it only sold 55% as many Blu-rays (though it enjoyed a slightly higher HD market share of 51%) and only 52% as many total units as Seth MacFarlane's raunchy comedy. However, diminished interest does not mean no interest, and so The Dark Knight Rises continued to thrive in the top five sales positions, with the related Dark Knight Trilogy boxset also scoring high sales placements - spot five on the Blu-ray-only chart and spot six on the overall package media chart.

Finally, another Universal title rounded out the last of the top three spots on the Blu-ray-only list: The Bourne Legacy. This "sidequel" to the Bourne franchise disappointed critics and audiences somewhat when it premiered theatrically last August - after accruing a budget of roughly $125 million, the film grossed just over $113 million domestically. However, the picture did well on its small-screen debut, contending directly with both Ted and the various Dark Knight Rises-related products. The Bourne Legacy sold 49% as many Blu-rays as Ted and garnered a Blu-ray market share of 59%, and it also sold 41% as many total units.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10146

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 25 Selling Blu-ray Discs Year-to-Date
Through 12/16/12

Top 25 Sellers Year-to-Date
Through 12/16/12

Last edited by Bishop_99; 12-22-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added the sales Data for the week ending on 12/16/12
Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #1253
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattayt View Post
I'm very sadden to hear this. Kosty was always very helpful and seemed like a great person, I'm sure he was like that in person as well. He will truly be missed. I can't believe this is why he had not posted, I thought he was just really busy. Truly sad news that he passed away at such a young age. Wow.
Wow is right. I likewise didn’t know until I’d read your comment and then a little ways back on this thread.. My belated condolences to his family for their loss. My experience was that he was a fine gentleman and had a tremendous work ethic. His early passing certainly reinforces the notion that we all should make every day we have here on earth ‘count’….and to not take any of our loved ones for granted.

I will most remember Kosty as a fierce HD DVD advocate during the format war, who was the first to sincerely put past format (HD DVD vs Blu-ray) and forum (such as AVS, HDD and HTF vs Blu-ray.com) as well as personal rivalries developed over the years because of those *debates*….behind him.

A true asset to the physical media home enthusiast crowd. It saddens me even more to read in that obit that he was “predeceased by his mother (Geraldine Kostyshak) and his wife (Rhonda Hillhouse Kostyshak)”, which at only age 53, shows me that our Kosty already had a cross to bear, which many of us (including me) were unaware of.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973

Last edited by Blu Titan; 12-21-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #1254
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Does anyone know the latest yoy bluray sales please? A few weeks ago it was 4%. I thought bluray has had an excellent month, but someone on another forum is claiming bluray is up just 2% as of now. That cant be right can it?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #1255
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Does anyone know the latest yoy bluray sales please? A few weeks ago it was 4%. I thought bluray has had an excellent month, but someone on another forum is claiming bluray is up just 2% as of now. That cant be right can it?
They are both way off. I do not have the spreadsheet here, but as of the lastest results: units sales for 2011: 85 million and change and for 2012: 100 million and change. These last two weeks of 2012 will increase that spread even more.

*those caclulations are based upon the weekly unit sales (not revenue) for Blu-ray 2012 & 2011 as reported by HMM. Biggest week so far was Black Friday week where more than 10 million Blu-ray units sold vs 7 million for 2011. December has been and will continue to be huge.

Last edited by Blu Titan; 12-22-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #1256
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Yes, thought it was odd. Maybe the poster was in the red corner during the format war? Thanks for info Blu TItan.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #1257
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Would appreciate chart if anyone can post it.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #1258
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Just been thinking titan, is it not sales rather than units that people will judge bluray on this year?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1259
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Would appreciate chart if anyone can post it.
here is DEG for 3Q http://www.degonline.org/pressreleas...6.12_FINAL.pdf

soon we will have the annual report but that won't be out for a few weeks (the year needs to end first )
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1260
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Thanks Anthony
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology