COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.25
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Godzilla vs. Megalon (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 12-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #1

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ
Default Johnnyecks' Cave O' Theater and Soundtracks!

Hi all,

New member and forum messenger here. Been visiting this site for years. I do not know why it took me so long to finally start posting, but it did. Oh well. A little background about me: I started my home theater experience much like many of you. I was about 16 years old, and in 1991 I got a Pioneer laserdisc player for Christmas. One day, while hooking it up, I noticed that it had Audio/Video out jacks. I remembered that I was able to hook up my NES as a kid to my stereo using the same audio out, and was able to duplicate the sound so that it was coming from my stereo and not the little mini tv speaker. I tried, on a whim, to see if the same could be done with the laserdisc. Low and behold, it could. That started a life-long pursuit to having a state of the art theater system, something I am still trying to work towards.

After figuring that out I raced to Sears, back when they had a home theater department before anyone else, and talked to a salesman and learned all about receivers, speakers, channels, something called "Pro-Logic" and a "4 channel" system.

With the help of my parents, I was able to upgrade my little stereo set to a 4 channel "Pro-Logic" home theater. I was in heaven. It was JUST like going to the movies!

Then I started hearing about "AC3" laserdiscs and how they could play..... hold onto your hats.... a 5.1!!!! system! It was so expensive to get a player and receiver to output/input that channel that I never got around to doing it. Then in 1997, I got a DVD player. OHMYGOD! This had a 5.1 output! All I needed was a new receiver and MORE speakers! Now I had a credit card, and was able to get that and was so happy that I had a system that sounded JUST like the movies!

Years passed, and I heard about this new "high definition" format called HD-DVD. Damn, I need to upgrade again! I was now married, had a decent job, and more credit cards.... so I did just that. Had heard about this new device called a XBOX 360 that had a HDDVD player addon. I had to get it. I finally had a, what is this now, a .... WOW.... 7.1 system!!!!!! Could it get any better? Playstation 3 had just come out, and yes.. it could.

I now jumped onto the Blu-Ray market, and was ever so glad that I had. Could this get any better? It sounds JUST like the movies!

Two years ago our basement flooded and luckily our homeowners insurance covered the cost of replacement for many of my electronics. I was finally going to have a plasma tv and matching speakers! Could it get any better?

In the process now, for saving for a 3D tv and replacement receiver..... did I mention that I am married. These "toys" are few and far in between anymore.

So the system that I have now, is in my signature here.

I am going to post a TON of pictures.

Without further adieu... here they are:
TV - Samsung 63" PN63B550 - to be upgraded soon
AV RCR - Onkyo TX-NR807 - to be upgraded soon
Speakers - Mirage HT ( 3 front, 4 rear ), Mirage MM-6 Sub
Blu Ray player - Sony Playstation 3
HD-DVD player - Xbox 360 Limited Star Wars w/ HD DVD player
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

First: The buildup....

An old system:

A few years later:

Later still

The building of my system now:

DVR - Verizon Fios

Last edited by Johnnyecks; 12-24-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

The system now:

Close up of my highly coveted THX theater pin

Nick Knacks, Posters, and rear surround speakers:

Blu-Ray Collection:

Yup, thats Ron Weasley's wand.

Sadly, I have to limit which video game systems I have hooked up at this time (the others are in storage... and I mean ALL of the others.....) so here is my video game collection( I know it's lacking, I play a lot of World of Warcraft anymore):

A closer look at the back shelf of collectibles:

Theatrical Re-release

Original release:

Surround Mirage speakers:

The heart:

Front Mirage

Mirage sub

Receiver and PS3

Star Wars Limited Xbox 360 and DVR

Severely cut back DVD collection (a lot was sold in the creation of these shelves, to make room)

Did I mention I also collect Soundtracks?

Signed Jerry Goldsmith concert poster

If that wasn't enough, here is my Stephen King and Dean Koontz collection

Another poster

Misc collectible shelve

Nice shot of the front of the room, from the back corner

Yes, all the posters are first printings.
Yes, those are blank CDR's being used as bookshelves.

I have collected soundtracks since 1988, I have over 3000. Most of the books are first editions, many are signed.

Not bragging, just wanted to show off my collection! I hope you enjoy.
DVR - Verizon Fios

Last edited by Johnnyecks; 12-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Welcome Johnny !! Nice collection and HT great job!!
H1,Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD,Oppo 103,Integra DHC-80.3 Pre/pro, Parasound Halo A52.Power conditioners Panamax M5100-PM & Furman Elite 21PFi , SVS-PB13 Ultra & SVS-PB12 Plus : )Klipsch Reference RF7II's,RC64II ,SR Def tech 450's,Speaker cable Monster bi-wire z2 series and Analysis Super oval 9 ; ) ,HDMI AudioQuest Cinnamon.Interconnects Transparent,King Cobra and Diamond Back XLR's .2ch setup Dynaudio 160s/NAD 356bee/ Halo A21 http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=TheFactor
Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #5

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

Thank you, and... thank you!
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyecks View Post
Thank you, and... thank you!
Your welcome and very welcome You have a outstanding collection also !!
H1,Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD,Oppo 103,Integra DHC-80.3 Pre/pro, Parasound Halo A52.Power conditioners Panamax M5100-PM & Furman Elite 21PFi , SVS-PB13 Ultra & SVS-PB12 Plus : )Klipsch Reference RF7II's,RC64II ,SR Def tech 450's,Speaker cable Monster bi-wire z2 series and Analysis Super oval 9 ; ) ,HDMI AudioQuest Cinnamon.Interconnects Transparent,King Cobra and Diamond Back XLR's .2ch setup Dynaudio 160s/NAD 356bee/ Halo A21 http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=TheFactor
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #7

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

Tell that to my wife. She mocks my cave. Lol.
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #8

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Welcome to our HT Gallery section Johnny! And thanks for that very informative introduction. It's always wonderful to read how people got involved in this hobby, and I see you've taking it seriously.

That is some media collection you have Sir, and I love the inclusion of your books. If I ever read that you say you have nothing to watch I may just have to come over and you! LOL!

Again, welcome to the galleries!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 12-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #9

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Welcome to our HT Gallery section Johnny! And thanks for that very informative introduction. It's always wonderful to read how people got involved in this hobby, and I see you've taking it seriously.

That is some media collection you have Sir, and I love the inclusion of your books. If I ever read that you say you have nothing to watch I may just have to come over and you! LOL!

Again, welcome to the galleries!
Lol I have yet to read all those, but am close. I love film though. My favorite medium. I have written several short stories, which since have been pretty much replicated, and shot several short home movies. Which also have been replicated. But I love the medium of film. Nothing encapsulates me more than movies do, no matter how ridiculous. Just watched Shutter Island for the fourth time. Even though I lknow the ending, I love the journey.

Movies bring me on that trip. And my little home theater helps.

Thanks for responding. I look forward to being a major contributor here.
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

Dec 2007

Quote:
Lol I have yet to read all those, but am close. I love film though. My favorite medium. I have written several short stories, which since have been pretty much replicated, and shot several short home movies. Which also have been replicated. But I love the medium of film. Nothing encapsulates me more than movies do, no matter how ridiculous. Just watched Shutter Island for the fourth time. Even though I lknow the ending, I love the journey.

Movies bring me on that trip. And my little home theater helps.

Thanks for responding. I look forward to being a major contributor here.
Hey, got to see your pics (like to se some wide shots of the room), but regarding your question in the other thread...if your room is as large as it looks ...you will need either a larger sub or a second MM-6. What are your room measurements?
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 Muses modified, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

Dec 2007

Forgot to add...love your media collection...and your TT!!!!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 Muses modified, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I was reading in another thread of how much you like your surrounds turned up a bit more than normal, and I understand how you feel.

Im not sure which model Mirage you have for surrounds but you may want to check out Mirage OMD-Rs, or maybe some other bi-pole or di-pole speakers.

I find di-pole are far better than mono-poles for surrounds, I feel totally encompassed in audio having all of my surrounds set as di-pole. I sometimes want to up the dbs for each surround but I have learned to let the audyessy take care of the proper levels.

Actually I recently added two amps to my surrounds, the amps were priced very reasonably and I was testing out a theory and it works nicely.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #13

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Hey, got to see your pics (like to se some wide shots of the room), but regarding your question in the other thread...if your room is as large as it looks ...you will need either a larger sub or a second MM-6. What are your room measurements?
I will have to measure. The main listening room, not including the cut out where the dvds, cds, and books but not the brays, or video games is 10.5X11

The odd configuration, couch flush to the wall with surrounds on shelve above the couch, is why I chose the Mirage configuration and their "umbrella" effect.

I have been thinking of getting a second sub. Stupid question though. How would it hook up? The AV does not have a second sub output.
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #14

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I was reading in another thread of how much you like your surrounds turned up a bit more than normal, and I understand how you feel.

I’m not sure which model Mirage you have for surrounds but you may want to check out Mirage OMD-R’s, or maybe some other bi-pole or di-pole speakers.

I find di-pole are far better than mono-poles for surrounds, I feel totally encompassed in audio having all of my surrounds set as di-pole. I sometimes want to up the db’s for each surround but I have learned to let the audyessy take care of the proper levels.

Actually I recently added two amps to my surrounds, the amps were priced very reasonably and I was testing out a theory and it works nicely.
Merry Christmas Hamp, I think he's using identical speakers all around and they are omni-polar technology. I think he's got a big place to fill with sound (just my humble opinion). The omd-r's would be a great choice thoughb!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #15

Dec 2007

Quote:
I will have to measure. The main listening room, not including the cut out where the dvds, cds, and books but not the brays, or video games is 10.5X11

The odd configuration, couch flush to the wall with surrounds on shelve above the couch, is why I chose the Mirage configuration and their "umbrella" effect.

I have been thinking of getting a second sub. Stupid question though. How would it hook up? The AV does not have a second sub output.
"Y" cable I have 4 subs on my LFE channel
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:

You can use something like this or one that has longer wires.

71861.jpg

You would plug the one end into the AVR, and the you can plug each of the subs into the two outputs
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #17

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

Quote:

Im not sure which model Mirage you have for surrounds but you may want to check out Mirage OMD-Rs, or maybe some other bi-pole or di-pole speakers.

I find di-pole are far better than mono-poles for surrounds, I feel totally encompassed in audio having all of my surrounds set as di-pole. I sometimes want to up the dbs for each surround but I have learned to let the audyessy take care of the proper levels.

I am using the Mirage HT MX for the fronts and center, and the MX for the rears. I know thats confusing but that is what the model numbers are. It came as a package from Crutchfeld, around $800 for the 5.1 system (3 fronts, 2 rear, 1 sub), and about $200 for 2 additional rear surrounds.

From reading some other posts, it looks like I am in for another $200 for another sub, hoping I can hook it up to my receiver.
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #18

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

Quote:
You can use something like this or one that has longer wires.

Attachment 56777

You would plug the one end into the AVR, and the you can plug each of the subs into the two outputs
The subs (the one I have, and if I get an additional of what I already have... MM-6), have a left and right input jack. So I would take my subwoofer out cable, and plug that into that Y splitter and then have 1 left/right audio wire go into 1 sub and then another into the other sub?

Yes, even with the "umbrella effect" of the Mirages, I have played around with the location of the front left and right speakers. I have moved them forward for one (R) to sit on a shelf by the Harry Potter box, and the other to rest on the arm rest of the lazy boy (on the left). It enhances, and widens the front sound field without dimishing the center channel at all. I do that only when I'm watching a movie, however I would like to make something permanent... not sure what it would rest on except a small 4"X3" shelf that I install in an odd location on the walls.....

Anyway, I think the first step is another sub.
DVR - Verizon Fios
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #19
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

It sounds like your saying it right:

From the 1 sub output from the AVR, You would use the splitter. By using the splitter on the AVR, you will now have 2 sub outputs. One sub for each output.

Of course, you can keep splitting for far more than just 2 subs.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

Sep 2012
Somehwere, NJ

Quote:
It sounds like your saying it right:

From the 1 sub output from the AVR, You would use the splitter. By using the splitter on the AVR, you will now have 2 sub outputs. One sub for each output.

Of course, you can keep splitting for far more than just 2 subs.
Ok great. Yah the MM-6 have two audio input jacks. 1 left, and 1 right. I have 1 AV wire from the subs' sub out jack that splits into two that plug into the sub (1 each into the left input and right input).

If I were to put a splitter between the receiver and the subs, I would have then 4 wires (2 left, 2 right) 1 of each to go into both subs. Right?

Am I making it more complicated?
DVR - Verizon Fios
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries