COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.46
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apocalypse View Post
Alright How's the surround on off mode?
Much the same but with more natural speech tones.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #62

Jan 2013
Cool anyone considered astro a50

seems like a good contender? i'm considering these, no new release from Sony in the recent CES...

also if i may, how's everyone's experience with the 7500 after all this time of usage? did the hdmi swtich get fixed? is there possible firmware update at all?

Cheers
D.C
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #63
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.1ps3 View Post
seems like a good contender? i'm considering these, no new release from Sony in the recent CES...

also if i may, how's everyone's experience with the 7500 after all this time of usage? did the hdmi swtich get fixed? is there possible firmware update at all?

Cheers
D.C

my 7500 is on it's way. don't remember reading about an issue with the HDMI switching. can you elaborate?
PSN: un4gvn2 LIVE: un4givn2

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #64

Aug 2012
Belgium

I'm in the market for a new pair of cans but I don't really know which direction to go. I've got an HD555 (did the foam mod), and while I do enjoy them, I don't like them all that much for movies.

I'm looking at 2 possible routes:

- Get a pair of 7.1 headhones (Sony MDR-DS6500 or those PS3 Pulse cans)
- Get a (more expensive) headphone to use for both movies and music, I'm looking at the HiFiman HE-400.

I'm just afraid that the Sony's won't sound (that much) better than my Senn's...

Any advice?
Pre-orders: Game of Thrones S02 (Amazon.co.uk exclusive) - Looper (Amazon.fr lenticular SteelBook) - Schindler's List (Digibook) - The Hobbit 3D (Amazon.fr lenticular SteelBook) - V for Vendetta (Amazon.co.jp SteelBook)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #65
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implar View Post
I'm in the market for a new pair of cans but I don't really know which direction to go. I've got an HD555 (did the foam mod), and while I do enjoy them, I don't like them all that much for movies.

I'm looking at 2 possible routes:

- Get a pair of 7.1 headhones (Sony MDR-DS6500 or those PS3 Pulse cans)
- Get a (more expensive) headphone to use for both movies and music, I'm looking at the HiFiman HE-400.

I'm just afraid that the Sony's won't sound (that much) better than my Senn's...

Any advice?
If you like your hd555 for music, why not just get another pair just for movies? My sony headphones will be here today or tomorrow and I don't expect too much from them for music. They're mainly for movies/games. I plan on in the future getting another set just for music.

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #66

Aug 2012
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
If you like your hd555 for music, why not just get another pair just for movies? My sony headphones will be here today or tomorrow and I don't expect too much from them for music. They're mainly for movies/games. I plan on in the future getting another set just for music.
Well, my HD555 is starting to show it's age (cracked plastic, cable sometimes gives a little interference).

I think my main issue, or doubt, is if the 7.1 is decent, and if there is enough "oomph" to the sound.

I've read that the HE-400 does have decent bass, but obviously doesn't have surround sound.
Pre-orders: Game of Thrones S02 (Amazon.co.uk exclusive) - Looper (Amazon.fr lenticular SteelBook) - Schindler's List (Digibook) - The Hobbit 3D (Amazon.fr lenticular SteelBook) - V for Vendetta (Amazon.co.jp SteelBook)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:
Well, my HD555 is starting to show it's age (cracked plastic, cable sometimes gives a little interference).

I think my main issue, or doubt, is if the 7.1 is decent, and if there is enough "oomph" to the sound.

I've read that the HE-400 does have decent bass, but obviously doesn't have surround sound.
I have the same concerns for surround. I've read many threads and reviews of those that bought the mdr ds7500 and the ds6500 as well as other surround headsets before settling on the 7500. The only thing is there isn't a true discrete 7.1 sourround headphone that I can find that's available. I saw one that's "coming soon" but its way too expensive.

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I have the same concerns for surround. I've read many threads and reviews of those that bought the mdr ds7500 and the ds6500 as well as other surround headsets before settling on the 7500. The only thing is there isn't a true discrete 7.1 sourround headphone that I can find that's available. I saw one that's "coming soon" but its way too expensive.
I guess you're talking about the Bluwavz, that's a lot of $, curious how good they are though.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:

I got my 7500 yesterday and played with it a little. Gotta say the LFE impressed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I guess you're talking about the Bluwavz, that's a lot of $, curious how good they are though.
Yes I believe that' it.

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #70

Jan 2013

Quote:
my 7500 is on it's way. don't remember reading about an issue with the HDMI switching. can you elaborate?
on amazon

Shortcomings:

1- The automatic HDMI switch acts weird. It does not work with Apple TV 3 at all. With my Blu-ray player, if I just want to watch a movie without the headphones, I have to go either to the base, turn the headphone base on, and change the input channel to HDMI 2 manually, and then turn it off again, or I should do the same process by putting the headphones on my head and pushing the buttons. It is a little inconvenient. I don't know why HDMI switch is not working all the time, maybe there is a glitch in their design or a uniform standard is not yet there.

can you test this out? and any chance you compared it with other 7.1?

i just got the turtle beach xp500 and astro a50, gotta say the astro is pretty awesome, i have the 6500 on the way to determine if it is better than astro, it sounded just okay in the show room (the sony) and i do intend to use it for gaming as well as movies, stereo headphones just don't cut it for me anymore

thanks for your help
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #71
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.1ps3 View Post
on amazon

Shortcomings:

1- The automatic HDMI switch acts weird. It does not work with Apple TV 3 at all. With my Blu-ray player, if I just want to watch a movie without the headphones, I have to go either to the base, turn the headphone base on, and change the input channel to HDMI 2 manually, and then turn it off again, or I should do the same process by putting the headphones on my head and pushing the buttons. It is a little inconvenient. I don't know why HDMI switch is not working all the time, maybe there is a glitch in their design or a uniform standard is not yet there.

can you test this out? and any chance you compared it with other 7.1?

i just got the turtle beach xp500 and astro a50, gotta say the astro is pretty awesome, i have the 6500 on the way to determine if it is better than astro, it sounded just okay in the show room (the sony) and i do intend to use it for gaming as well as movies, stereo headphones just don't cut it for me anymore

thanks for your help
I read that review but also read a ton more and very few people have issues. The guy doesn't specify how he's hooked up to its kinda hard to know if he's having a real issue or not. If I'm going to watch a movie without the phones, ill be using my surround system. So since I'd have the remote anyway, I'd change the HDMI out setting on the receiver to prevent audio passthrough. I wouldn't even need to touch the headphones or the base.

Bluray player > receiver > headphones > tv

This is how most have it hooked up. And no I can't test. I don't have my system up atm.

Ive never had surround headphones before so I can't compare but the audio especially the LFE, is better than I expected.

My only complaint is trade off between surround and LFE. When using theater, gaming, etc, you can adjustment the center channel and LFE. When not using an effect mode and listening to the audio unaltered, you cannot adjust center and LFE. With no effect mode the LFE is flat. But the surround sound is awsome. With an effect mode the LFE is awesome but there is little seperation with the surround. I tested this with different segments of phantom menace during the pod race and saber battles. I half think its a limitation due to using two speakers rather than 7. I'm still playing with it

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #72

Mar 2010

This makes me feel old but are their any wired great 7.1/5.1/surround headphones? Is everything wireless now?

I'm looking to get some headphones for movies and gaming. Looking at the gaming headsets because the transmitters and amps. Still wireless I know. :/
Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #73

Jan 2011
Send a message via MSN to Jimmy Bro Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
This makes me feel old but are their any wired great 7.1/5.1/surround headphones? Is everything wireless now?

I'm looking to get some headphones for movies and gaming. Looking at the gaming headsets because the transmitters and amps. Still wireless I know. :/
Why do you need wires?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Well I guess that depends on how old you are Kraken. I'm 47 and prefer wireless for most of my equipment. Unfortunately the one's I want seem a bit pricey. So as Jimmy said, why do you need it to be wired?
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Well I guess that depends on how old you are Kraken. I'm 47 and prefer wireless for most of my equipment. Unfortunately the one's I want seem a bit pricey. So as Jimmy said, why do you need it to be wired?
I remember a pair I bought a couple of years ago and they had a slight hiss and it turned me off wireless surround. Hard to explain, the sound would be fine and then a hiss cuts in for a few seconds. I always use wired now. In your experience, has that been a problem? Maybe things have improved since.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #76
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Well I'm using the headsets that came with my 360 right now, but was looking at Tritton's Warheads at one point. Then the new consoles were announced and I put that on the back burner. I also have a 4 year old who hasn't learned don't mess with dad's stuff yet and my wife wants to wait until he does to spend that kind of money. Still, he's the reason why I want to go wireless.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #77
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Well I'm using the headsets that came with my 360 right now, but was looking at Tritton's Warheads at one point. Then the new consoles were announced and I put that on the back burner. I also have a 4 year old who hasn't learned don't mess with dad's stuff yet and my wife wants to wait until he does to spend that kind of money. Still, he's the reason why I want to go wireless.
I really want wireless. I guess I need to just take a gamble. The extra money is worth it if the quality is there. As a single man I can keep all my stuff pristine but I know what you mean. I am a bit of a neatness freak I am afraid.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #78

Nov 2013

I have both models (MDR-DS7500, MDR-HW700DS). The latter can be described as "facelift": 5 GHz, 4K/UHD support, OSD, up to four headphones supported by the sound processor. Still, stereo music sounds better in MDR-DS7500, imho.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #79

Aug 2010
Bodø, Norway

Razer Tiamat 7.1 is supposed to be one of the best 7.1 headsets. I bought it along with a 7.1 soundcard.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #80
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompa View Post
Razer Tiamat 7.1 is supposed to be one of the best 7.1 headsets. I bought it along with a 7.1 soundcard.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71
When you get time do a quick overview rate here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=245897
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7008, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (7.3 system): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3 and Sennheiser HD700. Ordered Woo WA22
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Tags
7.1, headphones, ps3