Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Official Genesis Advanced Technologies Speaker Thread

Please feel free to discuss your Genesis speakers in this thread! Genesis had is start with ArNie Nudell of Infinity fame and John Ulrick! The flagship speaker of Genesis is The famed Genesis 1.2 (traces its lineage from thr Infinity IRS V)! They make quality products with wide frequency response. They are now lead by Gary Koh. Please enjoy discussing this product line!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Is this the same company?

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/products.html

If so, I almost bought some used subs from them when I purchased my SVS's. I asked about them, and only Big Daddy responded.

Those subs were fantastic, Its just I decided to buy new at a little bit cheaper price.

I believe they were some Servo-Subs
Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #3

Jan 2008
Southern California

These flagship Genesis 1.2 speakers are listed only for $240,000. You may be able to get a huge discount before the end of the year. You need to hurry.

HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #4

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
Is this the same company?

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/products.html

If so, I almost bought some used subs from them when I purchased my SVS's. I asked about them, and only Big Daddy responded.

Those subs were fantastic, Its just I decided to buy new at a little bit cheaper price.

I believe they were some Servo-Subs
Same company Johnny has recently purchased a pair!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I just acquired a used pair of Genesis G7.1f floorstanders and hope to take delivery within the next week. Here is a stock photograph for now!

200908_genesis_g71f.jpg

The G7.1f is no longer being manufactured as Genesis just released an upgraded version called the G7.2f. They are significantly more expensive.

Thanks Rich for starting this thread, and as soon as mine are delivered and installed I will post some pics of them and my room.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I just acquired a used pair of Genesis G7.1f floorstanders and hope to take delivery within the next week. Here is a stock photograph for now!

Attachment 56908

The G7.1f is no longer being manufactured as Genesis just released an upgraded version called the G7.2f. They are significantly more expensive.

Thanks Rich for starting this thread, and as soon as mine are delivered and installed I will post some pics of them and my room.
No problem Johnny! I've always liked Genesis because I was also an old school Infinity fan too! Genesis was formed and made even better speakers!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
No problem Johnny! I've always liked Genesis because I was also an old school Infinity fan too! Genesis was formed and made even better speakers!
Gary has done an amazing job and he's also been quite helpful. As you know I had the pleasure of meeting him at the last TAVES show and spent at least a good hour listening to some G7.1p's and G5.3's. Needless to say when this deal came up I contacted him as I wanted some kind of confirmation that my room could accommodate the G7.1f's. He assured me they would and I proceeded with the purchase.
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Gary has done an amazing job and he's also been quite helpful. As you know I had the pleasure of meeting him at the last TAVES show and spent at least a good hour listening to some G7.1p's and G5.3's. Needless to say when this deal came up I contacted him as I wanted some kind of confirmation that my room could accommodate the G7.1f's. He assured me they would and I proceeded with the purchase.
Wow, I'm exceedingly happy for you and that great find!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

They apparently have the best tweeter in the world, a ring-ribbon tweeter.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
garylkoh

Quote:
Please feel free to discuss your Genesis speakers in this thread! Genesis had is start with ArNie Nudell of Infinity fame and John Ulrick! The flagship speaker of Genesis is The famed Genesis 1.2 (traces its lineage from thr Infinity IRS V)! They make quality products with wide frequency response. They are now lead by Gary Koh. Please enjoy discussing this product line!

If it's an OFFICIAL Genesis thread.... I thought I'd better join in

Thanks for starting this. I've got to admit though that while own over 20,000 large black discs, I don't own any small blue ones.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
garylkoh

Quote:
Congratulations, Johnny. It was my pleasure to meet a fellow music lover at TAVES.

While the G7.1f's may be "obsolete" that doesn't take anything away from them as fabulous loudspeakers in their own right. They won the US Consumer Electronic Association and the Industrial Designers Society of America's Best of Innovations Design and Engineering Award in 2010, and last year won Best Product 2011 from High Fidelity magazine in Poland.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
Congratulations, Johnny. It was my pleasure to meet a fellow music lover at TAVES.

While the G7.1f's may be "obsolete" that doesn't take anything away from them as fabulous loudspeakers in their own right. They won the US Consumer Electronic Association and the Industrial Designers Society of America's Best of Innovations Design and Engineering Award in 2010, and last year won Best Product 2011 from High Fidelity magazine in Poland.

Welcome Gary!

What a pleasure to have you join us! I'm very much looking forward to receiving the G7.1f's, and once I've had an opportunity to live with them for a bit I will certainly share my impressions. I've never owned a full-range speaker before, so this is an exciting time for me. I think I'm going to be in for a sonic treat!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

Dec 2007

Johnny, how much longer? If I'm Hyper about their arrive I can imagine how you feel !!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #14

Jul 2007

Quote:
Johnny, how much longer? If I'm Hyper about their arrive I can imagine how you feel !!!!!
Not until Wednesday now, but that's ok. I'm calm...I am....really.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #15

Jul 2007

The speakers arrived yesterday, and although I posted them in my gallery thread, I thought it apropo to post a pic here as well.

IMG_1465.jpg

I haven't had much time to play with them in terms of placement, but I hope to get some time with them later today and then on Saturday as well. As such, any impressions I post will have to be taken a bit lightly until I reach the point whereby I've found the sweet spot for them.

The following may be taken very seriously however. These speakers are gorgeous. The finish on them is stunning. The trim is exact on everything. The front panel is finished in high-glass black lacquer and the main cabinet is grey with the same finish. They came with grilles, but I won't be using them as I prefer they way they look without them.

Because of their built-in servo-subs (180w amps) they are easy to drive and my McIntosh MC122 is putting out less of an effort to attain the same volume as with my now sold Totem Sttafs.

P.S. - At the time this pic was taken the speakers had just arrived and were not connected. I let them get to room temperature for about 4 hours.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
The speakers arrived yesterday, and although I posted them in my gallery thread, I thought it apropo to post a pic here as well.

[I haven't had much time to play with them in terms of placement, but I hope to get some time with them later today and then on Saturday as well. As such, any impressions I post will have to be taken a bit lightly until I reach the point whereby I've found the sweet spot for them.

The following may be taken very seriously however. These speakers are gorgeous. The finish on them is stunning. The trim is exact on everything. The front panel is finished in high-glass black lacquer and the main cabinet is grey with the same finish. They came with grilles, but I won't be using them as I prefer they way they look without them.

Because of their built-in servo-subs (180w amps) they are easy to drive and my McIntosh MC122 is putting out less of an effort to attain the same volume as with my now sold Totem Sttafs.

P.S. - At the time this pic was taken the speakers had just arrived and were not connected. I let them get to room temperature for about 4 hours.
Sweet
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #17

Jan 2008
Southern California

Hi John,

Congratualtions on your new speakers. You finally have some subwoofers in your home, although I count them as partial subwoofers and not two kick-ass external subwoofers.

I have two questions for you:
  1. Are you positioning the speakers so that their subwoofers are facing each other or facing away from each other?
  2. The second question is about their levels on their back. How do you set them?

Here are some pictures and reviews for you:

Reviews:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/genesis_g7.htm
http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/genesis_g7_1f.htm
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/g...7/genesis.html
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #18

Jul 2007

Hi BD,

Thank you! I'm looking forward to experimenting with them and tayloring them to a sound I can enjoy. I love the flexibility these speakers provide to allow for very exactly such a ting.

As to your questions. I have the subwoofers facing outward and I started at 12 o'clock for both the tweeter and subwoofer position. The bass was weak at 12 o'clock, so I moved them one notch to the 1 o'clock position and that's were I'm currently at. I'll, play with the 2 o'clock tomorrow and so on.

I'm trying not to touch the tweeter position for now, because I love the detail, but I may turn them to 11 0'clock. I'm hearing a slight edge to them that I want to correct.

Thanks for those wonderful pics and the reviews as well. I read the reviews before, but have yet to come across detailed pics of the speakers such as the ones you provided!

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #19

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Hi BD,

Thank you! I'm looking forward to experimenting with them and tayloring them to a sound I can enjoy. I love the flexibility these speakers provide to allow for very exactly such a ting.

As to your questions. I have the subwoofers facing outward and I started at 12 o'clock for both the tweeter and subwoofer position. The bass was weak at 12 o'clock, so I moved them one notch to the 1 o'clock position and that's were I'm currently at. I'll, play with the 2 o'clock tomorrow and so on.

I'm trying not to touch the tweeter position for now, because I love the detail, but I may turn them to 11 0'clock. I'm hearing a slight edge to them that I want to correct.

Thanks for those wonderful pics and the reviews as well. I read the reviews before, but have yet to come across detailed pics of the speakers such as the ones you provided!

What are your thoughts?

Definitive Technology perhaps has more experience with speakers with built-in subwoofers. I own a pair of vintage Def Tech BP2000's. They have 15" built-in subwoofers on their sides with built-in 300 watt amplifiers. According to the manual, you can place them so that the subwoofers are facing each other or switch their position so that the subwoofers are facing away from each other. The performance of the speakers depends on the room. The manual suggests to experiment with their placement. They slightly favor placing them so that the subwoofers are facing each other, unless the speakers are very close or against a big object like one of those old and large TV's. I have mine facing each other.

Remember that the bass is not only a function of how much you set the level of the built-in amplifiers. Their position with respect to the walls can make a big difference. That is the nature of bass waves with long wavelengths.

Additionally, you should place the speakers about one to two feet away from the walls so that the subwoofers do not become too boomy.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #20

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Definitive Technology perhaps has more experience with speakers with built-in subwoofers. I own a pair of vintage Def Tech BP2000's. They have 15" built-in subwoofers on their sides with built-in 300 watt amplifiers. According to the manual, you can place them so that the subwoofers are facing each other or switch their position so that the subwoofers are facing away from each other. The performance of the speakers depends on the room. The manual suggests to experiment with their placement. They slightly favor placing them so that the subwoofers are facing each other, unless the speakers are very close or against a big object like one of those old and large TV's. I have mine facing each other.

Remember that the bass is not only a function of how much you set the level of the built-in amplifiers. Their position with respect to the walls can make a big difference. That is the nature of bass waves with long wavelengths.

Additionally, you should place the speakers about one to two feet away from the walls so that the subwoofers do not become too boomy.

The subwoofers are facing outward (as recommended) and the speakers are placed 16" away from the front wall into the room and 17" from the side wall. The speakers are just a smidgen over 6' apart, measured from the centre of each cabinet. The rear tweeter is active (as recommend for this spacing). I started out with them much further into the room, but since my room is small (and I don't have enough depth) this was impractical. I've played with the positioning and have arrived at the current placement, which I think suits the room quite well.

I started off with the tweeter and bass controls at the 12 o'clock position, but soon realized that this flat frequency response wasn't to the liking of my ears. I have played around some and have them currently set as follows:

Tweeter @ 11 0'clock
Bass @ 2 o'clock

Any other changes will be less dramatic by using only 1/2 increments, and I'll play with this today. I'm already finding from listening last night that a little more bass is needed, so it's likely I'll set the bass to 2:30 or 2.5 when I start my session later this morning.

Once I'm generally satisfied with the position of the gain controls, I'll concentrate on fine-tuning by using some of the samples in the Genesis Speaker Set-up Guide. I figure that by the end of the day I should have attained some good positioning and levels to let the system work with those for a week or two. Small changes are likely to be implemented as a result over time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers