Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Gamer 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.95

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.84

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33

Finding Nemo 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.48

Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.27

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #161

Jul 2009
Southern California

Due to the time of year I went with Polar Express. The depth seemed increased but it didn't blow me away. But I'll take your advice and save Titanic for last if it's the best.
O the bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure! Of no one has less been expected and no one has had a greater sense of well-being than he, a collector. Ownership is the most intimate relationship one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who comes alive in them. Walter Benjamin, Philosopher
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #162
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post
Due to the time of year I went with Polar Express. The depth seemed increased but it didn't blow me away. But I'll take your advice and save Titanic for last if it's the best.
Whatever you do, avoid Pirates 4. Resident Evil Retribution is one of the best BDs out there btw.

Go with Captain America next followed by Avengers. Both have nice foreground placement and nice layer separation.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #163

Aug 2012

Out of all those 3D movies Captain America is the only one I own and seen, the 3D in Captain America is really good. It has a great amount of depth and some really cool pop out scenes.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #164
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
USA

One should always get a good FIRST impression when it comes to 3D. From your list, start with Titanic, followed by Nemo. Then you can work your way down your list.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #165

Dec 2007
Florida
Default What is considered the best 3D movie or documentary?

hi,

So i've just gone and bought a new 3D Panasonic GT50, along with a new Panasonic BD-Player and the 2012 glasses.

And truth be told, i can't ever see myself going crazy on 3D...

BUT !!!!! I would like that one 3D movie or documentary to go wow too ! Especially given i've just spilled $100 on the glasses, and $90 on the player !! Still kicking myself, given i have a PS3, which will do the 3D for me, for my ONE movie that i'll get !! doh !

What is considered the best 3D effect movie or documentary out there?

TY
Main
Panasonic TC-P55GT50 / PS3 Slim 500gig, Yamaha RX-A2010, HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub, KEF Q70's Main / KEF 90 Center, JBL Rears, DMP-BDT220.
Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P50G25 / PS3 500GB, Yamaha Reciever, Xbox 360 / Media Center PC
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #166

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Since there is no "one" movie that is the "best" I will say that after reading the majority of the posts in the 3d section that Sammys Adventures is mentioned the most. If you are in the US you will have to import it from YesAsia at a premium.. I think I paid $30 or so. Not sure about the documentary.. I have a few but havent watched any of them yet.
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #167

Dec 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdawg View Post
Since there is no "one" movie that is the "best" I will say that after reading the majority of the posts in the 3d section that Sammys Adventures is mentioned the most. If you are in the US you will have to import it from YesAsia at a premium.. I think I paid $30 or so. Not sure about the documentary.. I have a few but havent watched any of them yet.
ok if not one best, what is a list of impressive 3d movies. Not so much as in the movie being good, but the 3d done really well.
Main
Panasonic TC-P55GT50 / PS3 Slim 500gig, Yamaha RX-A2010, HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub, KEF Q70's Main / KEF 90 Center, JBL Rears, DMP-BDT220.
Bedroom
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #168
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:

Sammy's Adventures takes second place now in my collection do to technological CGI/3D-graphic improvements with the sequel:

"Sammy 2"
Quote:
this movie is a pop-out MONSTER.
IMO, No professionally produced feature exhibits better positive & negative 3D plane rendering - to date.

Available at www.dddhouse.com

Specs: Region A for USA playability

Languages: Hong Kong-Cantonese/ English
Subtitles: Chinese-Taiwain/English
Audio track - * The Belgium produced films Original English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack is available as the the second choice in the setup menu and has the latest Advanced 96K Lossless upsampling.

Paul
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 02-07-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #169

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Sammy's Adventures takes second place now in my collection do to technological 3D CGI/graphic improvements with the sequel "Sammy 2".
IMO, Nothing is 3D-rendered better to date.

Subtitles: Taiwain/English
Audio track - * The Belgium produced films Original English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack is available as the the second choice in the setup menu and has the latest Advanced 96K Lossless upsampling.

Paul
$35.26 shipped to NJ... I might just have to order. I never actually watched the whole thing of Sammy 1.. just watched a bit to see how great it actually was. Man I waste a ton of $ on blurays....
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #170
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Anderson, SC

You can rent Sammy's Adventures on VUDU for like $5 or so, and then purchase it flat out to own forever for $17.99 if you have a PS3 or some other method to watch it that way. I just bought it that way, and it works just perfectly. The 3D effects are so amazing and I, also, highly recommend watching it.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #171

Dec 2007
Florida

oh well, i just went ahead and bought Avatar, even though I've already got it. Its a good film and watching it in 3D is worth the extra admission price.
Main
Bedroom
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #172

Aug 2008
Smile

I have seen Hugo mentioned many times, and Step Up 3D has some great effects too, but looks more 'natural' or real (as if you were actually there), which animation or fiction can't achieve.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #173
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Since there is no "one" movie that is the "best" I will say that after reading the majority of the posts in the 3d section that Sammys Adventures is mentioned the most.
Although "(clicks stopwatch) Boy, THAT cult doesn't miss a danged trick, does it? " =/= "Best".

While my instincts are to go with the recommendations for Hugo, I'd suggest narrowing down the questions first. How about asking for the best movie OR the best documentary, and that way, if you'd just asked for the best documentary, we could say "IMAX: Born to Be Wild", or such-like.
Fanboy "What's the best stuff like ever?" threads are very, very hard to answer.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #174

Dec 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Although "(clicks stopwatch) Boy, THAT cult doesn't miss a danged trick, does it? " =/= "Best".

While my instincts are to go with the recommendations for Hugo, I'd suggest narrowing down the questions first. How about asking for the best movie OR the best documentary, and that way, if you'd just asked for the best documentary, we could say "IMAX: Born to Be Wild", or such-like.
Fanboy "What's the best stuff like ever?" threads are very, very hard to answer.
All i was really looking for is any material that really shows the capabilities of the 3d, rather than making sure the movie was good.. A little like what scene brings out the best of your home theater.. (which for me indecently is Master and Commander, the boat creaking, before cannons get unleashed)

I would have through some kind of aquarium BD would be good. Went for Avatar in the end cos its a good mix of CGI and the movie was directed and shot with 3d in mind, so there's going to be some decent 3d effects to impress. You see, the missus doesn't know it yet, but i've just shelled out $200 on two pairs on Panny shades and a new BD Player.. I've got to woe her with all this amazing tech otherwise I'm brown bread ! (dead!)
Main
Bedroom
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #175
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

If you're looking for a quick showoff for cheap, "Rescue 3D" is under 14 bucks and has a couple really good pop moments. In particular there is one with a fire fighter on the top of a truck mounted ladder; the truck is sunk well into the TV however the ladder extends out of the screen with the man attached. It's a glorious 3d shot, probably one of the best pop outs I've seen in a long time.

I can't lie though, a lot of the shots in that movie are either really good, or really bad (way to strong, to much distance between the viewpoints). It's a mixed bag but definitely some good 3d and I'm not disappointed in the purchase.

I'll snap a cross eye photo and post it later if I have time.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #176
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Kingdom of plants 3D offers over 7 hrs of most amazing 3d in documentary. Be warned, you can have nightmares about some of the nasty plats

In documentaries this is closest to Sammy quality in terms of 3D depth and popouts
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #177
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3dfan View Post
Kingdom of plants 3D offers over 7 hrs of most amazing 3d in documentary. Be warned, you can have nightmares about some of the nasty plats

In documentaries this is closest to Sammy quality in terms of 3D depth and popouts
amazon is wrong occasionally, but I see that the listing has the running time at 150min - ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Sammy's Adventures takes second place now in my collection do to technological CGI/3D-graphic improvements with the sequel:

"Sammy 2"
IMO, No professionally produced feature exhibits better positive & negative 3D plane rendering - to date.

Subtitles: Chinese-Taiwain/English

Paul
this AND 'The Raid' in 96kHz !! come on... I want some US releases as such...

Last edited by Dubstar; 02-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #178
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

I think after you see Avatar and are amazed you might be quite a bit more optimistic about purchasing more 3D blu's. I suggest you check out Hugo. It was created from scratch with 3D in mind on how they were going to tell the story. Its definitely on par with Avatar as what I would say is the best, maybe Hugo is even a little better.

Edit: If you've invested over $200 on just glasses and a player you definitely should be getting more than just one movie. I've heard of people buying 3D TV's just for one movie because they absolutely had to have it in 3D, but I've never heard of someone just dropping the money on the player and glasses with almost no intent to use them.

Last edited by Operation Swordfish; 02-08-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #179
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
amazon is wrong occasionally, but I see that the listing has the running time at 150min - ??

this AND 'The Raid' in 96kHz !! come on... I want some US releases as such...
sorry I stand corrected, its around 2.5 hours spread over 3 episodes. I had to watch it over several days given the length and it felt like 7 hrs

But very much worth it.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #180
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Titanic is astounding, but it's still Titanic. If you like the movie, you can't lose. Even if you don't like the movie, the 3d is stunning.
Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Herzog is often touted as one the best 3d docs.
Spielberg's Tintin and Scorsese's Hugo are great.
Finding Nemo is maybe the best all-around 3d movie I've seen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies