COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.46
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #1

Aug 2012
LDN
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default Subwoofer Risers and General Setup Help

Ive attempted to read Big Daddy's sticky's but find them very hard to understand sometimes, but they are very useful.

Im just about to get my Subwoofer added to my 5.0 i have just put up and would like the best out of the subwoofer that i have chosen.

Klipsch SW-450 - http://klipsch.co.uk/cat/subwoofer/product/sw450black
It is going to be setup in my Bedroom which is Very Small (11ft by 7.5")
So i think that subwoofer will suffice.

I want to know more about the general setup and the use of Risers with a Subwoofer.

When i get around to setting up my Speakers i have been advised to use a SPL Meter, with a "C Rating and Low Response" and look for around 75db from each speaker

My Room has Carpet, will i need a riser for my sub? Please look at the link posted earlier regarding the specs of my Sub etc.

This is a very basic layout of my room

The Recliners i have added are beanbags, which i prefer to watch a movie as i have been told that sitting with my back against the wall will not benefit my bass and my surround environment.

I Have added two Subwoofers,
Sub 1 (BLUE)
Sub 2 (ORANGE)

Which wpuld be a better location , one is nearer my front speakers but near the Bluray Storage next to it which may cause a boomy effect.
And 2 Looks too close to me but might cause a better bass.

If you have any other locations that may work please add, i will be taking some actual pictures and will update the post, but for now it will be great if you could help me with the little information i have supplied.

Many Thanks
- Panic
Panic
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
I Have added two Subwoofers,
Sub 1 (BLUE)
Sub 2 (ORANGE)
Smart move on your part to go with two subwoofers.
You'll get much smoother bass response in your room.

I would move Sub 1 about 12 inches away from the Blu-ray storage cabinet.
That will reduce the chances of it sounding "boomy."
Also move Sub 2 to the right side of your tv screen parallel to Sub 1.
I would put both subs on risers even though your floors are carpeted.
Raising them off the floor will help increase there output.

You may want to look into getting a receiver, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32
and Sub EQ HT.
I have it on my Onkyo receiver and it greatly simplifies the speaker
and subwoofer calibration process.
It did wonders for my four budget subwoofers and speakers.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #3

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
Smart move on your part to go with two subwoofers.
You'll get much smoother bass response in your room.

I would move Sub 1 about 12 inches away from the Blu-ray storage cabinet.
That will reduce the chances of it sounding "boomy."
Also move Sub 2 to the right side of your tv screen parallel to Sub 1.
I would put both subs on risers even though your floors are carpeted.
Raising them off the floor will help increase there output.

You may want to look into getting a receiver, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32
and Sub EQ HT.
I have it on my Onkyo receiver and it greatly simplifies the speaker
and subwoofer calibration process.
It did wonders for my four budget subwoofers and speakers.
I think you misunderstood him there. I don't think he's saying he HAS 2 subwoofers, but put two locations in the picture of where the subwoofer he's getting could possibly go. Anyways, I would agree with timcat's suggestion to use location 1 but try and move it away from the BluRay storage (at least 1 foot) if at all possible. It's hard to really just suggest a location though. Your best bet is to just experiment when you get your sub. As far as a riser, I would personally suggest one if for nothing else than just decoupling it from the floor. In my tiny room I put mine on a ~1 foot riser and it seemed to really help with some of the room modes. Also timcat suggested looking into a receiver with Audyssey etc., but you never mentioned what receiver you even have? You may not need to do the SPL calibration if your receiver has calibration built in.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #4

Sep 2010

I think your wrong, look at his post closer.
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

Aug 2012
LDN
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
I think you misunderstood him there. I don't think he's saying he HAS 2 subwoofers, but put two locations in the picture of where the subwoofer he's getting could possibly go. Anyways, I would agree with timcat's suggestion to use location 1 but try and move it away from the BluRay storage (at least 1 foot) if at all possible. It's hard to really just suggest a location though. Your best bet is to just experiment when you get your sub. As far as a riser, I would personally suggest one if for nothing else than just decoupling it from the floor. In my tiny room I put mine on a ~1 foot riser and it seemed to really help with some of the room modes. Also timcat suggested looking into a receiver with Audyssey etc., but you never mentioned what receiver you even have? You may not need to do the SPL calibration if your receiver has calibration built in.
My Receiver is a Denon AVR-1912 - http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=AirPlayproducts&SubId=AVReceiver s&ProductId=AVR1912

It does have - Audyssey MultEQ XT and Auto Setup

But aren't these sometimes inaccurate or would it be best to let the Audyssey setup and tweak the little stuff such as Distance from Speakers and do some SPL tweaking?

You were right, im only getting one subwoofer at the moment, i may upgrade at a later date, but as my room is very small, i will see the input from the one sub first.
Panic
Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

1.) You're better off using the Audyssey in your AVR than an SPL meter.
2.) In a room that's only 82.5 square feet you're never going to be far from a corner. I would think location #2 (mid-wall) would give you a better sound, but ultimately you need to see how the sub sounds yourself by moving it around the room.
3.) Sub risers do not affect the sound output or audio quality of the sub itself. The benefit from a riser is to get the sub off the floor. This might help with boomy-ness, but it will definitely prevent neighbors from enjoying your movie's LFE track and any buzzing that can occur from loose objects on the floor/wall in the sub's immediate vicinity.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers