COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Company of Heroes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
Disc 2 was loose in my set as well, but not scratched. Haven't tried to copy them yet.
Turns out it was my BD burner going bad. Last night the room smelled of burning plastic. Dang thing is toast. So it wasn't the discs at all. I was able to copy them to my pc before the epic meltdown.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #42
Special Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Any reviews yet? I have the Varèse Sarabande version. Would this be a worthy upgrade?
has no one listened to it yet?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Holy Cow guys! it sounds fantastic, there are samples right on Intrada's Site for crying out loud, if you are a fan of this Score it is simply a no brainer lol, and it includes the Varese 12 track CD, not the 16 track CD, this is 1 of the best packaging I have ever seen and the booklet is huge and now we have all tracks available to us, so open up the wallets and just buy it, no reason to sit on the fence here at all.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
Special Member

Sep 2006

Thanks Vidjunkie! I already have the 16 track version that cost me an arm and a leg last year. I really don't care about alternate takes and music that didn't appear in the movie. Is this still worth the upgrade?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Thanks Vidjunkie! I already have the 16 track version that cost me an arm and a leg last year. I really don't care about alternate takes and music that didn't appear in the movie. Is this still worth the upgrade?
I have the 16 track as well, bought it when it first came out so I fortunately did not have to pay what it is going for these days lol and to answer you HELL YES it is worth it, it is a great set, but this is my opinion, I just love this score, so having more tracks plus having the 12 track CD is a win, win for me.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #46

Aug 2011

This Intrada version is not perfect, sadly. Some interesting things that I've read so far:
- people tend to prefer the original album versions (on CD3) - they feel they sound better (warmer) than the new remasters (but shouldn't the 3rd CD come from the same remasters?),
- a gong is missing towards the end of "Orgy" (on the CD2 version),
- "Prologue" is much too loud which lowers the impact of "Anvil of Crom" (and listening to the sample - do I hear hissing in the Prologue?!).

What really bugs me though - why aren't the "Cantigas" (the original movie Tower of Set music) where they belong - between "Hopefuls At The Tower Of Set" and "Infidels", on CD1? And why did they replace them with some alternate unused music ("The Tower of Set" and "The Snake") on the complete score? And why why why did they have to combine an original track ("The Infidels") with an unused track ("The Snake"), thus preventing us from creating a custom (correct) playlist?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #47
Special Member

Sep 2006

Thanks for the info. Any links?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post
This Intrada version is not perfect, sadly. Some interesting things that I've read so far:
- people tend to prefer the original album versions (on CD3) - they feel they sound better (warmer) than the new remasters (but shouldn't the 3rd CD come from the same remasters?),
- a gong is missing towards the end of "Orgy" (on the CD2 version),
- "Prologue" is much too loud which lowers the impact of "Anvil of Crom" (and listening to the sample - do I hear hissing in the Prologue?!).

What really bugs me though - why aren't the "Cantigas" (the original movie Tower of Set music) where they belong - between "Hopefuls At The Tower Of Set" and "Infidels", on CD1? And why did they replace them with some alternate unused music ("The Tower of Set" and "The Snake") on the complete score? And why why why did they have to combine an original track ("The Infidels") with an unused track ("The Snake"), thus preventing us from creating a custom (correct) playlist?
Any links? I would love to read this myself.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #49

Jun 2009
Roseville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post
And why why why did they have to combine an original track ("The Infidels") with an unused track ("The Snake"), thus preventing us from creating a custom (correct) playlist?
Why does that prevent you from creating a custom playlist? Audacity is your friend.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #50

Aug 2011

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any links?
There are two threads at Film Score Monthly:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/boar...ID=1&archive=0

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/boar...ID=1&archive=0
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #51

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Warrior View Post
Why does that prevent you from creating a custom playlist? Audacity is your friend.
It's not just that "The Snake" and "Infidels" are on the same track, the music is slightly overlapping.
Intrada has a sample of this track at their site, the "Infidels" part starts at 00:51.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #52
Special Member

Sep 2006

I'm very confused about this release (and all the other releases).

Is the 3rd cd a remaster of the Milan disk or the exact same release?

Is cd 1 & 2 just an alternate take that was never used?

If all I want is the original music that was used in the movie, which one do I want? (I have the varese release).
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #53

Dec 2009

I finally received the CD and popped it in for a listen last night. Sounds fantastic!!
Tron Legacy on my HT

Pioneer Elite SC-27 + Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11 v6
Center: Paradigm CC-390
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor 9 v6
Backs: Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Sub: Dual Epik Empires
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #54

Dec 2012

Quote:
Is the 3rd cd a remaster of the Milan disk or the exact same release?

Is cd 1 & 2 just an alternate take that was never used?

If all I want is the original music that was used in the movie, which one do I want? (I have the varese release).
CD3 is a remaster of the original Milan soundtrack album that Poledouris compiled for LP release in 1982 (the Mako intro, which was included to as a bonus on the 1992 CD, is added as a bonus here at the end of the disc).

CD 1 & 2 is the complete score as conducted & recorded by Poledouris, which includes all* the music from the movie, plus a fair amount music that wasn't used in the film, such as the track "Wolf Witch", the full edits of "Warm Welcome" and "Hopefuls at the Tower of Set" (in the movie, the first min. of the former is looped, and only about 1 min. of the latter is used at all), and two original compositions for the snake ceremony scene that were not used in the movie. (Used instead was a track previously recorded by The Rene Clemencic Consort: "Las Cantigas de Santa Maria #166: Como poden per sas Culpas", with some choral voices etc. added for the movie by Basil Poledouris. This is altered movie version is included at the very end of CD2 as a bonus, rather than after track 12, to follow the movie playing order -- this is why some are complaining). Then there are alternate takes of a few tracks like "Prologue" and "Anvil of Crom".

*minor exceptions:
1) there's a choral section that appears only in a scene of the Czech version of the movie (when Thulsa Doom lectures Conan about the Riddle of Steel). Search "Conan Czech version" and you can see this on Youtube -- and it sounds pretty good, but there is dubbed Czech dialogue over top of it

2) the gongs at the end of "The Orgy" are missing on CD2, but they are on the CD3 version.

3) some editing differences between the movie and CD versions of "Defilers" ...the CD edit is actually too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
it includes the Varese 12 track CD, not the 16 track CD
You mean the Milan 12 track CD!

Last edited by odinson; 02-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #55
Special Member

Sep 2006

Thank you for the great summary! I was under the impression that the Varese was superior to the Milan edition... am I wrong?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles