COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Thalía: Viva Tour (Blu-ray)
$13.48
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #981
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hzrd51 View Post
Okay, probably going to seem like an ignorant question. I am looking to order the set from the UK so what I want to know, is the ratings on the box stickers or actually printed on there. Really doesn't make any difference as its a solid must have set anyway. Just curious. Thanks for the help!
Printed on the front, spine and bottom. The opposite spine isn't suitable for display as it's just the insides of the Digipak and doesn't say the title.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #982
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

3D Creature is glitching and freezing about 50 mins in on my Panasonic BDT220 with the latest FW. Looks like a disc problem?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #983
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Anyone bought it from Sainsburys? I was wondering what they are like for returns as i have owned this set for some months?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #984
Special Member

Jul 2010
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
3D Creature is glitching and freezing about 50 mins in on my Panasonic BDT220 with the latest FW. Looks like a disc problem?
Not according to Universal.

Mine was the same. I had to just re-order the single disc release and it was fine.
LG 55LW6500 - Oppo BDP-103 - Yamaha RX-V3900
Last ordered: Nightmare Nightmares in a Damaged Brain / Cauchemars à Daytona Beach
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #985
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhowalks View Post
Not according to Universal.

Mine was the same. I had to just re-order the single disc release and it was fine.
I think that is what i will do.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #986
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Did you just swap the discs and return he faulty one and the case?

I'm a bit worried about my set as it's been put away for Christmas along with a few other sets.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #987
Special Member

Jul 2010
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Did you just swap the discs and return he faulty one and the case?
I contacted Amazon UK, and they offered my a 15% refund. I used that to purchase the solo edition.
My only other option was to return the (then sold out) coffin set for a full refund... which I had no intention of doing!
Last ordered: Nightmare Nightmares in a Damaged Brain / Cauchemars à Daytona Beach
Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #988

Jan 2011
Rio de Janeiro

It is not a problem on the disc, it's a firmware problem, I'm sure of that.

I got the coffin, too. My Creature is freezing, too, on my Sony BDP-380 with the latest firmware, but it played fine on my Philips BDP 3000 that I haven't updated since 2010.

Strange you order another disc and solve the problem, since it is not a problem on the disc.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #989
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernane View Post
It is not a problem on the disc, it's a firmware problem, I'm sure of that.
A few of the discs certainly look flawed with blotches on the underside. I'm not sure if it's cosmetic but it definitely looks nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
This is someone elses disc , but mine look similar.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #990

Jan 2011
Rio de Janeiro

Well, I got a disc with a stain similar to that one, but not exactly the same. But the disc works fine, with no problem at all. It's an American BD, Replicant. The protective layer on Blu-Ray discs are very good.

And my Creature is not like that, I got a beautiful looking disc, with no stains or marks. And still, it freezes and glitches. But not on other players. So... it's not a problem on the disc, it's a firmware problem.

For those of you who also had this problem, try and test the disc on a 3D player or a newer player. Test it on different players.

I once heard a case of someone who bought a BD and had to downgrade (yes, that's right!) the firmware to make the BD work.

Blu-Ray is a GREAT technology, until... these kind of problems appear, rs.

I remember that the 3-Disc edition of Avatar also gave a few people a little headache when it was first released. And a firmware update solved the problem.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #991
Special Member

Jul 2010
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernane View Post
Strange you order another disc and solve the problem, since it is not a problem on the disc.
I don't know what else to tell you.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #992
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Checked my Creature disc last night. Works fine on Panasonic BD160 watched 2D but this is a 3D player as well. Worked on PS3, again that's 3D player too. Bought the coffin set from Sainsburys about 6 weeks ago. Not sure if this helps with the timescale? Maybe older sets have the issue or as previous posts say it works through a 3 D player ?
Pre-Orders: The Toxic Avenger, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past digibook, Nightbreed 3 disc , The 'Burbs - SB, Halloween - Complete Collection Deluxe set, The Exorcist - Complete Anthology collection Sabotage, Guardians of the Galaxy - Zavvi SB, Ghostbusters 2 - Zavvi SB
Old 12-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #993
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Unfortunately I drew the short straw, opened up my set today and the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" disc had the warp/stain and refused to play on the PS3 (latest model), Toshiba BDX3200 and Toshiba BDX1100.

Annoying. Sent a message to Amazon
[Show spoiler], any email address for Universal?

EDIT: No point in contacting Universal now, Amazon replied within a couple of hours saying they'd send a replacement set first class and I have to send the faulty set via a Collect+ drop-off point.
Seems farcical to me to replace an entire set for the sake of one disc, but if they send me one with a working "Creature..." then I'll be happy. No way I'm sending the original until the new one arrives though, would be typical sending mine off only to receive a crushed and/or ripped box.

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 12-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #994
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
Unfortunately I drew the short straw, opened up my set today and the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" disc had the warp/stain and refused to play on the PS3 (latest model), Toshiba BDX3200 and Toshiba BDX1100.
Bad luck mate, I have a feeling mine might be a dud as well, as we ordered about the same time, we might have the same batch. It's still sealed at the moment. I might crack it open later.

It is a bit ridiculous that you have to replace the entire set, Universal should have replacement discs ready to send to customers via Amazon and the other on-line retailers.

I guess Amazon don't even know if you'll get a faulty disc either if they send you a whole set?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #995
Special Member

Jul 2010
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
And none of those players have the latest firmware? What are the odds of that?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #996
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Bad luck mate, I have a feeling mine might be a dud as well, as we ordered about the same time, we might have the same batch. It's still sealed at the moment. I might crack it open later.

It is a bit ridiculous that you have to replace the entire set, Universal should have replacement discs ready to send to customers via Amazon and the other on-line retailers.

I guess Amazon don't even know if you'll get a faulty disc either if they send you a whole set?
Well what can you do, especially if Universal seem to be currently in denial. The replacement was sent out this morning first class, so hopefully it will arrive before Saturday then I can get down to the Collect+ point and drop of the original set (or at least the set in worst condition, with the faulty Creature in it).

Quote:
And none of those players have the latest firmware? What are the odds of that?
lol
Well I won't be updating the two Toshibas, as they have the Australian region free firmware installed, but the PS3 firmware is completely up to date. Hell, it's even the latest hardware iteration of the PS3

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 12-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #997

Jun 2011

(I mentioned this earlier in the thread but...) I had the problem with the Creature disc and got my box set replaced by Amazon and STILL had the same problem with the new disc - so I tend to agree with other posters here who believe it to be a firmware issue of some kind. Both discs looked fine with no blemishes.

Some have mentioned that the 2D version plays OK in a 3D capable player. I don't know if it's something to do with the 3D version being on there too although all the other discs in the set play as you'd expect, but it'd be pretty stupid/annoying if it is the reason why. I got the Hitchcock Collection with the 2D/3D Dial M For Murder disc in it for Christmas so I'll try that later...
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #998
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Yeux Sans Visage View Post
(I mentioned this earlier in the thread but...) I had the problem with the Creature disc and got my box set replaced by Amazon and STILL had the same problem with the new disc - so I tend to agree with other posters here who believe it to be a firmware issue of some kind. Both discs looked fine with no blemishes.

Some have mentioned that the 2D version plays OK in a 3D capable player. I don't know if it's something to do with the 3D version being on there too although all the other discs in the set play as you'd expect, but it'd be pretty stupid/annoying if it is the reason why. I got the Hitchcock Collection with the 2D/3D Dial M For Murder disc in it for Christmas so I'll try that later...
My disc has a big warp/stain on it and refuses to even play in my machines. The Toshibas just spat it out, and the PS3 tried to load it the first time I tried, then wouldn't even register a disc in the drive the second time.
Fingers crossed the next one will be OK.

I don't think my disc would play in any machine.

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 12-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #999
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Yeux Sans Visage View Post
Some have mentioned that the 2D version plays OK in a 3D capable player. I don't know if it's something to do with the 3D version being on there too although all the other discs in the set play as you'd expect, but it'd be pretty stupid/annoying if it is the reason why.
I have a blu-ray drive purchased before 3D blu-ray was a consumer product and I had no issues playing the 2D version of Creature on it.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1000

Jun 2011

Dial M For Mother****er!

Just tried the Dial M For Murder disc (skipping through) and around an hour in I'm getting exactly the same issues as I have with the Creature From The Black Lagoon disc - sound drop-out, sound judder and slight picture dragging.

I suppose it could be coincidence but I think it's my machine (and some others I guess) having an issue with discs that have both 2D and 3D content on them, although why that should be I have no idea (no technical expert!)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland