Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #1

Jun 2012
Default Soundbar Question

I just recently purchased the Sony HT-CT60 soundbar and was wondering if other forum members have any opinions of this model or of other soundbars in general. I picked it up for my in-laws who just purchased their first HDTV, but aren't thrilled with the built-in speakers on the TV. They don't have any experience with sound systems (even HTIB) and aren't looking to break the bank. Will this be a decent enough upgrade for them sound wise or should I keep looking? I'm somewhat familiar with 5.1 and 7.1 channel surround sound set-ups and understand this unit is only 2.1 channels and only outputs 100 watts total. Another negative is the soundbar only includes optical audio and has no HDMI input/output. Obviously there is a big convenience factor with soundbars, but are they worth it? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Most if not all HDTVs have optical out. This is for those people who use HD antennas and wish to have the sound sent to their receivers or in your case the sound bar.

In general sound bars do a lot for what they are and for what they are working with. That being said some are better than others.

What is your budget?

The reviews of that particular model are hit or miss and overall do not sway me to want to try it.

Once we have your budget, we can try to make some recommendations.
Front Sound Stage: Clearwave Dynamics LCR Surround Sound: 4*AV 123 X-LS Encore, LFE: 2*JBL W15GTI Subwoofers,
Primary Display: Sharp LC-70C6400U Secondary Display: Mitsubishi HC6800
Power Protection:
APC AV S20BLK AVP: ??????????????
AMP: Sherbourn PA 7-350
Old 12-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #3

Jun 2012
Default Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post

What is your budget?

The reviews of that particular model are hit or miss and overall do not sway me to want to try it.

Once we have your budget, we can try to make some recommendations.
I appreciate the response onyxbfly. I found this Sony sound bar at Costco for $125, but they might be willing to spend $150, possibly $175. Obviously, that's not too much of a budget to work with, but are there any better options out there in this price range?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Sorry for the delay. A few members here have Samsung HWE450 If you do not mind refurbished. It can be found here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Fcef4AodNysAtQ

They gave it rave reviews and it deff meets your price point!
Front Sound Stage: Clearwave Dynamics LCR Surround Sound: 4*AV 123 X-LS Encore, LFE: 2*JBL W15GTI Subwoofers,
Power Protection:

Last edited by onyxbfly; 12-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread mpa, but does LG make a decent soundbar? My wife and I bought a Onkyo HTIB when we bought our 55" LG, but now we're thinking that might be better to set up in the family room once it is done instead. So we're thinking of switching our equipment to all LG if we can because of having multiple remotes and a 3 and half year old boy. Thoughts, or should I go with the Samsung(Which is what my BD player is) or Yamaha soundbar that Costco is selling? This is just for the living room set up and not looking to break the bank. Especially since the Vizio soundbar we bought for upstairs didn't and we like that one pretty well.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #6

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Sorry for the delay. A few members here have Samsung HWE450 If you do not mind refurbished. It can be found here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Fcef4AodNysAtQ

They gave it rave reviews and it deff meets your price point!
Not a problem onyxbfly. I appreciate your feedback! That refurbished Samsung soundbar looks like a pretty good one at a really good price, but I ended up setting the Sony soundbar up for my in-laws a few days ago. It's sound quality certainly doesn't blow me away, but I think they will probably be happy with it. I might test it out some more in the next few days.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread mpa, but does LG make a decent soundbar? My wife and I bought a Onkyo HTIB when we bought our 55" LG, but now we're thinking that might be better to set up in the family room once it is done instead. So we're thinking of switching our equipment to all LG if we can because of having multiple remotes and a 3 and half year old boy. Thoughts, or should I go with the Samsung(Which is what my BD player is) or Yamaha soundbar that Costco is selling? This is just for the living room set up and not looking to break the bank. Especially since the Vizio soundbar we bought for upstairs didn't and we like that one pretty well.
I don't mind at all The Donster. I think the more everyone can help each other out here, the better. I don't know much about LG's soundbars, but I probably wouldn't buy one just to match brands. If you're concerned about too many remotes, I'd imagine you could always purchase a good universal remote to control everything. That Samsung soundbar looks nice, but I'm sure others here would be more helpful in pointing you in the right direction. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa25 View Post
Not a problem onyxbfly. I appreciate your feedback! That refurbished Samsung soundbar looks like a pretty good one at a really good price, but I ended up setting the Sony soundbar up for my in-laws a few days ago. It's sound quality certainly doesn't blow me away, but I think they will probably be happy with it. I might test it out some more in the next few days.
Kewl most parents just really want to hear their TV they are not really into the HT experience. Think of it this way, if they wanted a HT they would have had one a long time ago! You did right by them.
Power Protection:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > HTiB (all-in-one systems)