Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: Complete Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
$72.99
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL
Send a message via AIM to Footloose301 Send a message via Yahoo to Footloose301
Default Anybody running MFW-15 with the "Turbo" upgrade?

This "turbo" upgrade comes with a new 15" driver and 1000 watt amp....

It's like $750 or something and not sure if its worth the "upgrade". My MFW-15 is 350 watts RMS and I'm not sure if their new amp is rated at 1000 watts RMS or peak...?

The kit comes with a block off plate for the the speaker cabinet after you remove the amp because the kit is an external amp.

Also the driver doesn't look too impressive. The magnet looks kinda small. Perhaps I'm totally wrong here.

Anybody running this new "turbo" kit.

Samsung 55" 3D LED 8000 Series
Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-SR805
AV123 MFW-15
Polk Audio T90e(Left & Right), Polk Audio CS10(Center)
Bedroom: Sony 46" XBR3 & Sony BDP-S350
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL
Send a message via AIM to Footloose301 Send a message via Yahoo to Footloose301

Never mind. I guess the new woofer is a pretty good upgrade. It's been so long since I have seen the old woofer that I have.

Here's the new woofer:

Here's the old woofer: (Current setup I have)

Samsung 55" 3D LED 8000 Series
Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-SR805
AV123 MFW-15
Polk Audio T90e(Left & Right), Polk Audio CS10(Center)
Bedroom: Sony 46" XBR3 & Sony BDP-S350
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Sep 2011
New Joisey

I believe Mark Seaton designed the Turbo upgrade -- or at least the driver -- so my guess is that the thing rocks.
- Jim
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
I believe Mark Seaton designed the Turbo upgrade -- or at least the driver -- so my guess is that the thing rocks.
This ^^^

Mine is shipping tomorrow so I'll post about it soon. I've always loved the MFW-15, but the amp issues have been a pain. I started having hum issues after about a year and did the cap replacement fix which worked great. But after a few months of issue free room shaking LFE the amp is having issues once again. AV123 really went cheap with the amp which is a shame for a great Mark Seaton designed sub. It is now making some strange noise that almost sounds like ocean white noise or a room full of ghosts.

It was time to either start looking for a new sub or go with the upgrade and I picked door number two. I really wish I had the $$$ for a Seaton SubMersive, but the turbo should be almost as awesome.

The new driver and 1000 W amp should give twice the output and a tighter, less boomy bass. I'll post a review and some pics when I get the new driver and amp installed. Even with the amp issues I love my MFW-15 and I know the Turbo version will rock even more.
-Wayne

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Samsung PN58A650, Denon AVR-2313ci, Sony PS3 40GB, Boston Acoustics LCR: E70s, SURR: E60s, Seaton Sound Turbo, FIOS HD DVR, APC AV H15, Harmony 880, & IKEA Dioder LEDs. My Collection My flickr threeguysphotography.com
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

Turbo is up and running! After calibrating this thing is a BEAST. It is producing some tight, clean, wall shaking bass. I haven't had time to run REW to see if I can improve the curve with some EQ, but I will soon. And I'll also try to get some pics up.

The old amp didn't roll off properly and Audyssey would boost the bass around 10-15 HZ. I fixed this by fooling audyssey by boosting the bass in this range with my sub eq during calibration. I just wanted to say the Turbo has no issue like this.

I can't recommend the upgrade enough to those who have a MFW-15. The output is close to what two MFW-15s would normally produce. But what I love most is how the bass is so much tighter and cleaner.
-Wayne

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Samsung PN58A650, Denon AVR-2313ci, Sony PS3 40GB, Boston Acoustics LCR: E70s, SURR: E60s, Seaton Sound Turbo, FIOS HD DVR, APC AV H15, Harmony 880, & IKEA Dioder LEDs. My Collection My flickr threeguysphotography.com

Last edited by StimpsonJCat; 01-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Sep 2011
New Joisey

That sounds very intriguing. I'm working with Mark Seaton right now trying to arrange for one of his MFW Turbo's so I can do a review on it. I'd like to hear this beast with my own ears.
- Jim
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

After a couple of weeks I'm still loving the Turbo. I'm upgrading my AVR this weekend so I waited before running REW. I'll post some pics and FR graphs after I get everything hooked up to the new AVR.
-Wayne

Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

Pics of the Turbo:

I'm extremely happy with this upgrade.
-Wayne

Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
Pics of the Turbo:

I'm extremely happy with this upgrade.
Sweeeeeettt!! I was considering the upgraded MFW-15 at one point. I did not know that the 1000W amp was external? Did you buy the kit from Mark or did you buy the "upgraded" version of the sub already?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

I bought the kit from Kevin at Motor City Custom Audio. He finally has them ready to go on demand. Very easy to install and Kevin was great. I'm really glad I didn't go for a new lesser sub.
-Wayne

Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

The amp is a Dayton sa-1000. But it has been tuned for this kit. This thing laughs at everything I've thrown it's way.
-Wayne

Last edited by StimpsonJCat; 03-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers