Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Fringe: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.09
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #521
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Aseel - What is the format of the audio you are sending your AVR? If it is 5.1 and you have a 5.1 system, then DSPs such as DTS Neo:6 won't do anything. It looks like you may be feeding stereo to your receiver, which suggests a problem with the player setup. How are your devices connected? What player do you have? And how is the player audio output configured?

Last edited by BIslander; 12-27-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #522
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseel View Post
Guys I have one question please help me if you can...
I just want to know whats the default surround mode?
I have Denon AVR 1312 and a Blu-ray player that has DTS & Dolby trueHD connected to the AVR with 6 speakers.
But when I taste Blu-rays like The Game (Criterion Collection)
When I put the surround mode to DTS Neo:6 the sound comes from all the channels but the voice of actors doesn't come clear.
But when I put the mode to Virtual or stereo the voice comes very clear but the audio comes only from 2 channels!
I've edited the channel's level so no problems from there.
Is it something from the AVR settings or my Blu-ray player?
I think I don't need to use surround mode for Blu-rays but how can I fix this?
Pages 19-21 in the Denon-AVR1312 owner's manual addresses audio playback. The Game has DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. Looking at the table on page 20 of the manual and you'll see that DTS-HD Master Audio input signal should read "DTS-HD MSTR" on the Denon display.

This is all assuming your Blu-ray player is set to output audio as "bitstream", which allows the Denon to do the decoding. If you set your player to "PCM' then the Denon should display "MULTI CH IN".

"Stereo" means 2 channel, so any time you select "stereo" playback (see table on page 19) you will only get audio out of your F/L speakers. "Virtual" is a mode designed for people who have only headphones or 2 speakers. In your current setup you should never use "Virtual" and "Stereo should only be used if you're listening to music or watching a movie with a 1 or 2 channel soundtrack.

Personally, I never use the "Cinema", "Music" or "Game" surround modes. All those do is add sound effects (i.e. echoes) that aren't part of the soundtrack.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #523
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I am currently looking to upgrade my Onkyo 605 to a higher end mid-range AVR from Onkyo or Denon. I was researching Denon's a bit yesterday, mostly the 2313 vs the 3312. There seemed to be pros and cons to both, but a couple that I was usure about.

The 2313 had "High Current/Discrete Amplifiers", but the 3312 did not. Also, the 3312 had AL24 Processing for the front L & R channels and DDSC (Dynamic Discrete Sound Circuit), while the 2313 did not.

Are these things I should even be concerned about? I would assume having all the features I listed would be great, but I'd have to go up to the 3313, and that is a bit too rich for me right now.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #524
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

This is probably a dumb question but...I have my blu-ray player set to "bitstream" but my Denon 3313CI ALWAYS displays Mulit-in...never says Dolby True HD or DTS MA? Am I doing something wrong...or is this normal? Thanks for any help!
My Gear:
Sony VPL-VW95ES 3D Projector 1080P
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony BDPS590 3D Blu-ray player
Sony PS4 500GB
Harmony 1000 Touch Screen Remote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #525
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

If the source is Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA and the player is set to bitstream then the Denon should display one of those. The only time it should display "Multi-Ch" is if either the player is decoding or the source is PCM. So double check that you have a movie with a TrueHD or HDMA soundtrack, select that soundtrack in the movie menu and then confirm the player settings when you start playing it.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #526
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
If the source is Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA and the player is set to bitstream then the Denon should display one of those. The only time it should display "Multi-Ch" is if either the player is decoding or the source is PCM. So double check that you have a movie with a TrueHD or HDMA soundtrack, select that soundtrack in the movie menu and then confirm the player settings when you start playing it.
I always select movies with Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA and my Denon always displays multi-ch-in Pl II??? I do have a 7.1 setup though...maybe that's why?
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #527
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

PLIIx will be displayed if you are playing a stereo or 5.1 source and you have engaged PLIIx on that input. It will not be displayed if the source is already 7.1.

If your receiver is showing multichannel instead of TrueHD or dts-MA, that means your player is doing the decoding.
What player do you have and what are the audio output settings?
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #528

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis21 View Post
I always select movies with Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA and my Denon always displays multi-ch-in Pl II??? I do have a 7.1 setup though...maybe that's why?
I was having the same problem. I have an Oppo 83 and the manual says to set the audio output to bitstream. I changed it to auto, powered the player off and back on and now it reads tru-hd or whatever the correct audio encode is.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #529
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard236 View Post
I was having the same problem. I have an Oppo 83 and the manual says to set the audio output to bitstream. I changed it to auto, powered the player off and back on and now it reads tru-hd or whatever the correct audio encode is.
Ok...I'll try that in a little bit. Thanks
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #530
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Didn't work...WTF!!! No matter what I try...nothing changes! I even changed my Sony Blu-ray players settings from Bitstream...to...PCM thinking maybe they were opposite! Same result....My Denon ALWAYS displays Multi-In....it never says Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA...even if I hold in the "Surround Mode" "Movie" button on the bottom of the remote...It displays all of the sound options on the screen but ALL of them are Multi-In options! Oh well...I give up!
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #531
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

What Sony player do you have? The Sonys I've seen don't have a bitstream setting.

Also, what is the HDMI audio output setting on your Denon? If there's an audio connection to the TV, the handshake may tell the player to decode and output PCM. Try the AMP setting rather than AMP+TV.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by BIslander; 02-10-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #532
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

My player is Sony BDPS590 3D Blu-ray player. I've tried EVERYTHING!!! The only setting I haven't changed is the one that says something about duel audio for commentary. I'm gonna change that one this morning...If THAT doesn't work...forget about it!
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #533
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
What Sony player do you have? The Sonys I've seen don't have a bitstream setting.
Sony's including the BDP-S590 have a bitstream setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis21 View Post
My player is Sony BDPS590 3D Blu-ray player. I've tried EVERYTHING!!! The only setting I haven't changed is the one that says something about duel audio for commentary. I'm gonna change that one this morning...If THAT doesn't work...forget about it!
Make sure the following are set on your player:

Audio (HDMI) -> Auto (Default) [make sure it's not set to PCM]
BD Audio MIX Setting -> Off [this is set to On by default]
Dolby Digital/DTS -> Bitstream (Default) [make sure it's not set to Downmix PCM]

My guess is it's the BD Audio MIX Setting that is giving you the issue.

Last edited by rdodolak; 02-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #534
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

We could save some time here if kurtis21 would post his player and receiver audio settings.

The manual in earlier Sony models made it clear the bitstream option under the Dolby/DTS setting only applied to the optical and coax outputs. The S590 manual is not clear on that subject. Regardless, the S590 still has the Audio (HDMI) setting with Auto or PCM options. When set to Auto, the player's HDMI output is controlled by the handshake with the receiving device. ("...outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected HDMI device...") In other words, even if Dolby/DTS is set to bitstream, the player will decode, downmix, and send PCM over HDMI when attached to a device like a TV, which tells the player to send stereo PCM.

That's why I suspect the problem may be with the receiver rather than the player. The OP can easily test this by disconnecting the HDMI cable between his receiver and TV. If the HDMI pass through is allowing the TV to tell the player to send PCM, he can break that handshake by disconnecting the HDMI connection as a test. Setting the Denon to AMP rather than AMP+TV is the operational way to break the HDMI audio connection and handshake with the TV.

The player should be set as rdodolak recommended, although I don't know that the bitstream setting actually matters with an HDMI connection. BD Mix definitely needs to be Off to get lossless TrueHD and dts-MA. But, leaving it set to On will not cause a PCM output. Rather, the player would send lossy DD 5.1 or DTS. So, the lack of bitstream is being caused by something else, likely the AVR/TV HDMI connection.

Just for grins, I'd also try using an optical or coax connection with Dolby/DTS set to bitstream and see whether you get DD 5.1 and DTS outputs.

Last edited by BIslander; 02-10-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #535
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

I got it!!!! Can you believe all of that over one default setting for a stupid duel audio mode for commentary! Once I turned that to off...everything worked as it should! Thanks guys for all of your input!!
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #536
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Excellent.

btw, that suggests the player is using the lossless track when mixing in secondary audio. Otherwise, it would likely output lossy DTS and DD when set to Mix instead of multichannel PCM. It looks like the player decodes TrueHD and dts-MA, mixes in the secondary audio, and sends the resulting multichannel PCM to the player. Many players decode the lossy version when mixing in secondary audio. If the Sony uses the lossless version in Mix mode, then it is better to leave it that way. You'll get the same lossless quality, plus menu sound effects and sound for PIP commentaries. With bitstream, you don't get the additional audio.

I am curious whether the bitstream setting for Dolby/DTS affects the HDMI output. What happens if you change it to PCM? Do you still see TrueHD and dts-MA on your AVR display?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #537

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Excellent.

btw, that suggests the player is using the lossless track when mixing in secondary audio. Otherwise, it would likely output lossy DTS and DD when set to Mix instead of multichannel PCM. It looks like the player decodes TrueHD and dts-MA, mixes in the secondary audio, and sends the resulting multichannel PCM to the player. Many players decode the lossy version when mixing in secondary audio. If the Sony uses the lossless version in Mix mode, then it is better to leave it that way. You'll get the same lossless quality, plus menu sound effects and sound for PIP commentaries. With bitstream, you don't get the additional audio.

I am curious whether the bitstream setting for Dolby/DTS affects the HDMI output. What happens if you change it to PCM? Do you still see TrueHD and dts-MA on your AVR display?
This setting has zero effect on the lossless codecs, it is for the lossy versions over optical output and has no effect for HDMI output.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||

Last edited by Remo; 02-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #538
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

^^ Is that answer based on testing? As noted in my previous post, earlier Sony player manuals specified that the Dolby/DTS settings only applied to the optical and coax outputs. The S590 manual lacks that clarifying language. So, I was asking for a test of the setting.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #539
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Quote:
Excellent.

No...That was the problem. It said Multi Channel In(PCM). The bottom line is I was getting lossless sound either way ....I just wanted my receiver to say TrueHD or DTS-MA instead of "Multi-In"
My Gear:
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Sony PS4 500GB
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #540

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
^^ Is that answer based on testing? As noted in my previous post, earlier Sony player manuals specified that the Dolby/DTS settings only applied to the optical and coax outputs. The S590 manual lacks that clarifying language. So, I was asking for a test of the setting.

Yes it is based on testing. I had the 590 and now own the 790, its the same for both players.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers