COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (Blu-ray)
$16.09
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fantasista Doll: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Justified: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #2321

Oct 2010
The Milky Way
Australia Terminator Audio Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
So your fine with all new sound effects that were recorded nearly 20 years later just because its in surround? That seems illogical to me, like bboisvert said, its like an audio remake. Its not so much about preference as it is about accuracy and respect. You can still prefer the 5.1 remix, that's your choice, but the mono for better or for worse should always been there.

Anyway, the point is its important to preserve the film the way it was when it first came out because that's apart of its history that should be at least available to the consumer. What's wrong with including the mono mix in the audio menu? I would have thought supplying more options would be beneficial even to the most ignorant oblivious of fans.
It would have been nice to have the original mono track lossless.

I wasn't around when the film came out and I don't remember how it sounded back when it first came out so the new track doesn't distract me from enjoying the movie, there is nothing illogical about it. Don't have any BD/DVDs of films that don't have the original mono track and still enjoy watching it. I had a look at your profile but you don't seem to have a record of what you have, only a little blurb on the bottom of your posts showing how many BD/DVDs you have (your not ashamed of your collection are you? ) so obviously I could be completely wrong.

What do you mean about accuracy? Are you referring that the guns sound like the real guns in the original mono track as opposed to the new one?

be nice
It's only a movie.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #2322
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post

I wasn't around when the film came out and I don't remember how it sounded back when it first came out so the new track doesn't distract me from enjoying the movie, there is nothing illogical about it. Don't have any BD/DVDs of films that don't have the original mono track and still enjoy watching it. I had a look at your profile but you don't seem to have a record of what you have, only a little blurb on the bottom of your posts showing how many BD/DVDs you have (your not ashamed of your collection are you? ) so obviously I could be completely wrong.

What do you mean about accuracy? Are you referring that the guns sound like the real guns in the original mono track as opposed to the new one?

be nice
As close to the original as possible.
Wait a minute, we were stuck in a blender and now we're saving lives? WHAT?!?

deltasun's sell/trade thread; For Sale: Captain Phillips (slip, BD/DVD), The Muppets (Wocka x 2) -- $13 ea; The Collection, The Iceman -- $10 ea.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #2323
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post

be nice
I wasn't around either when the film came out, in fact I was born only a couple of mouths before T2 debuted in theatres here in Austarila, but even so, age or upbringing of the film has little to do with historical preservation which is what the mono track represents. Now admittedly I grew up watching the film on a VHS TV recording which had the mono audio in tact, but even if say I wasn't aware about it or I grew up with the DVD which the majority of kids are today, its still of vidal importance to at the very least have the unaltered audio mix available in the menu. This really should be compulsory because what ends up happening is that apart of the film's soul, its integrity and apart of its history is deleted/altered just to cattle in to modernization. The Terminator was made in 1984, it wasn't made in 2001, changing a key element of its production so drastically while also not providing the option of its theoretical 1984 state is almost as bad as what Lucus did to Star Wars and what Spielberg was doing to ET before coming to his senses.

What I mean by accuracy is as close to the orignal theoretical sounds people heard in theatres back in 1984. That's what was recorded, that's what was edited. The reasons for why they went with mono sound like budgeting limitations are irrelevant because at the end of the day, The Terminator was an old low budget film which should accurately reflect as such today. Subjectively or not, the 5.1 remix is also a downgrade in many instances in terms of impact and sheer volume which the mono track provides in spades.

Also the reason I haven't put up my collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays on the side is because A: I don't know how to do it and B: I don't feel like going through all my DVD's to put up because there are too many. I might consider putting up just my Blu-Ray's but as I said, I don't know how hence why I just have a simple count in my signature.

Last edited by Blu-21; 12-26-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #2324

Jun 2009
Manchester, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Disappointing to hear.
Why, is his view the only one that counts.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #2325
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I wasn't around either when the film came out, in fact I was born only a couple of mouths before T2 debuted in theatres here in Austarila, but even so, age or upbringing of the film has little to do with historical preservation which is what the mono track represents. Now admittedly I grew up watching the film on a VHS TV recording which had the mono audio in tact, but even if say I wasn't aware about it or I grew up with the DVD which the majority of kids are today, its still of vidal importance to at the very least have the unaltered audio mix available in the menu. This really should be compulsory because what ends up happening is that apart of the film's soul, its integrity and apart of its history is deleted/altered just to cattle in to modernization. The Terminator was made in 1984, it wasn't made in 2001, changing a key element of its production so drastically while also not providing the option of its theoretical 1984 state is almost as bad as what Lucus did to Star Wars and what Spielberg was doing to ET before coming to his senses.

What I mean by accuracy is as close to the orignal theoretical sounds people heard in theatres back in 1984. That's what was recorded, that's what was edited. The reasons for why they went with mono sound like budgeting limitations are irrelevant because at the end of the day, The Terminator was an old low budget film which should accurately reflect as such today. Subjectively or not, the 5.1 remix is also a downgrade in many instances in terms of impact and sheer volume which the mono track provides in spades.

Also the reason I haven't put up my collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays on the side is because A: I don't know how to do it and B: I don't feel like going through all my DVD's to put up because there are too many. I might consider putting up just my Blu-Ray's but as I said, I don't know how hence why I just have a simple count in my signature.
I am one of those guys who generally prefer the newer multichannel mixes for most movies, but I think the original audio should always be included on all blu-rays in HD audio. Most older movies only have one or two channels, so it wouldn't take up hardly any disc space, and the original mixes are pretty much a done deal, so there would be very little effort put into including it. Even for guys like me who prefer the newer multichannel mixes, it would be a fun and interesting option to be able to compare the two on the disc, or even watch the whole movie with one mix and then the other. If nothing else, it would be a nice bonus feature for someone like me, while delighting all of the audio purists. I really don't see why they don't include it. Maybe a double-dip ace up their sleeve?

If you go to the homepage or any movie page on this site and type in the blu-ray that you want to add to your collection, a list of matching titles will pop up. You can go over to the picture next to the correct one and select "Add To My Collection" or "Add To My Wishlist". You can also go to the page of the movie you are wanting to add, and it will have the options under the title cover picture. Once you've added them, when you are on the homepage, you can see on the right side where it says "My BDs", and it will show how many you have. This feature is very handy to keep track of all of your movies. You can also go to preferences and select unique skus (will count a boxset as one) or unique movies (counts each movie individually).
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #2326
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I happen to agree with a lot of his reviews or takes on discs although I will still get this and see for myself as it will be an upgrade over the original disc and the best it will ever look in 1080p.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #2327
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
it isn't and it shouldn't be
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #2328
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
I am one of those guys who generally prefer the newer multichannel mixes for most movies, but I think the original audio should always be included on all blu-rays in HD audio. Most older movies only have one or two channels, so it wouldn't take up hardly any disc space, and the original mixes are pretty much a done deal, so there would be very little effort put into including it. Even for guys like me who prefer the newer multichannel mixes, it would be a fun and interesting option to be able to compare the two on the disc, or even watch the whole movie with one mix and then the other. If nothing else, it would be a nice bonus feature for someone like me, while delighting all of the audio purists. I really don't see why they don't include it. Maybe a double-dip ace up their sleeve?

If you go to the homepage or any movie page on this site and type in the blu-ray that you want to add to your collection, a list of matching titles will pop up. You can go over to the picture next to the correct one and select "Add To My Collection" or "Add To My Wishlist". You can also go to the page of the movie you are wanting to add, and it will have the options under the title cover picture. Once you've added them, when you are on the homepage, you can see on the right side where it says "My BDs", and it will show how many you have. This feature is very handy to keep track of all of your movies. You can also go to preferences and select unique skus (will count a boxset as one) or unique movies (counts each movie individually).
Exactly. You can prefer the multi-channel surround sound audio tracks all you want, that's a matter of preference, but the inclusion of the mono track is not only important for historical reasons but would actuelly satisfy everyone from the purists to the less aware who might want to experiment watching the film with a different track for a different experience the next time he or she goes to watch it. Everybody wins. More options are better. Also, as for the 5.1 remix, I'm betting that most wouldn't quite hate it so much if it didn't virtually replace all the SFX with new additions that were both shot almost 20 years later and were inferior to their mono counterparts. If they wanted to create a 5.1 remix, maybe converting the orignal mono audio with the sounds in tact to surround mode would have been more welcome since something like that would be a respectful upgrade.

Thank you for the tip! Its a work in progress at the moment, have just listed the tittles that I can remember. I'll finalize the list when I have time.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #2329
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
That was a rhetorical question. Do you know what rhetorical means Villiam? Maybe you should look it up.
Maybe you shouldn't have attempted to answer my question as I think I already know the answer.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #2330

Oct 2009

sure it didn't happen lol
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #2331

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiam Hayes View Post
Maybe you shouldn't have attempted to answer my question as I think I already know the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
sure it didn't happen lol
I think you should both stop the back & forth or else
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #2332

Dec 2008
Send a message via MSN to MasterSandman

I knew I waited on this one for a reason! Nice
TV: Panasonic TC-P55VT60
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-920-K
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT230
Speakers: Omage X100 (x2), Omage TC5, JBL SP-150 subwoofer
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #2333
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
In the back, off the side, far away

Is there any chance we get a steelbook release similar to the European editions?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #2334
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTv View Post
Is there any chance we get a steelbook release similar to the European editions?
If by 'we' you mean the United States, I would place those chances at about 0.000003%.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #2335

Apr 2012
Karratha, Australia

Saw this last night! Effin yeah!

Loved the audio track too. So worth the 2 month wait until I could be back in the city and watching it on a good setup
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2336

Oct 2011

Agreed. I don't understand the people who just don't get that most people want the original theatrical releases for the majority of their collections. It's the way the film was originally intended to look and sound and how people first saw it.

I have no problem with any director wanting to change his work, rework scenes, add new artwork, but they should always present this as a supplement to the original theatrical release.

It's not even a generational thing. I never experienced Terminator in theaters, I wasn't born then. I don't know the difference between the mono track and the 5.1 surround track. All I know is, there are people who heard the original track at some point, that it's the original audio track that was in theaters, and so they should have a choice of whether or not they want to listen to it or something else.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #2337
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

As I have said before I like the 5.1 mix but of course the mono track should have been included.
What I don't get it that it seem's to be this release more than any other with this disagreement involving the audio.
I watched The Sting yesterday,a film which won 7 academy awards but the only English track on that was a dts hd-ma 5.1
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #2338

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness91 View Post
Agreed. I don't understand the people who just don't get that most people want the original theatrical releases for the majority of their collections. It's the way the film was originally intended to look and sound and how people first saw it.

I have no problem with any director wanting to change his work, rework scenes, add new artwork, but they should always present this as a supplement to the original theatrical release.

It's not even a generational thing. I never experienced Terminator in theaters, I wasn't born then. I don't know the difference between the mono track and the 5.1 surround track. All I know is, there are people who heard the original track at some point, that it's the original audio track that was in theaters, and so they should have a choice of whether or not they want to listen to it or something else.
I'm not so sure about that. It seems the majority love extended and director's cut editions over the original theatrical release. Personally I tend to prefer the theatrical edition, but I feel that I'm in the minority.
All right, look if you absolutely have to tell her the truth, at least wait until the timing's right. And that's what deathbeds are for.

-Chandler Bing
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #2339
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. It seems the majority love extended and director's cut editions over the original theatrical release. Personally I tend to prefer the theatrical edition, but I feel that I'm in the minority.
Aside from the Lucas-loving Star Wars fans, I don't know of any films where people prefer altered/director's cuts. And even those that do would want to have the original theatrical cuts made available to everyone.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #2340
Special Member

Sep 2008

my uk import just showed up

ill post some thoughts when im done watching it later
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America