Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #41

Jul 2011
An hour west of Philly

lolololol
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
Special Member

Sep 2008

i just got back into blu rays after an almost 2 year stoppage and shit is so much cheaper now

i remember paying like 80 bucks for the dirty harry collection and being satisfied now its like 20 bucks
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #43

Jan 2013

You know, even those 2008 prices from the OP weren't so bad when you compare circumstances with other locations. For instance, the premium on anime Blu-Rays in Japan. Want 2 episodes? 30/$50! A whole series? How about half of it for 125/$200?

(I know this thread is old, but it's already been necroed recently and I can't post my own thread... sorry?)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #44

Oct 2012
United Kingdom How do I know which edition a UK release is?

Hi All,

Okay, given that I can't start a new thread I'll hijack this one considering people are talking about blu rays on special. Difficult though, I can't imagine that many experienced members hang around a Newbie's forum

I have done a search and can't find a message on this, it must have been asked before but my search terms are probably not picking it up.

How do I know which edition a UK blu-ray release is?

I noticed that Amazon UK has a sale on so I trawled through writing down some titles that interest me.

Since I have been a member on this site I have seen that some blu-ray transfers are pretty appalling and I want to avoid those at all costs. So I read the editors reviews here but they are based on the American releases. I compared the US and UK release dates and sometimes they match up, but other times no. Sometimes the covers match, others not.

So how do you go about making sure you have the same version that has been reviewed?

I would be interested to hear from you soon, I want to get in and do some buying before the sale ends.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #45

Aug 2007
Lake Tahoe/ SF Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve23094 View Post
Hi All,

Okay, given that I can't start a new thread I'll hijack this one considering people are talking about blu rays on special. Difficult though, I can't imagine that many experienced members hang around a Newbie's forum

I have done a search and can't find a message on this, it must have been asked before but my search terms are probably not picking it up.

How do I know which edition a UK blu-ray release is?

I noticed that Amazon UK has a sale on so I trawled through writing down some titles that interest me.

Since I have been a member on this site I have seen that some blu-ray transfers are pretty appalling and I want to avoid those at all costs. So I read the editors reviews here but they are based on the American releases. I compared the US and UK release dates and sometimes they match up, but other times no. Sometimes the covers match, others not.

So how do you go about making sure you have the same version that has been reviewed?

I would be interested to hear from you soon, I want to get in and do some buying before the sale ends.

Thanks in advance.
If your on Amazon UK website, you are getting the UK version of that move (well, most likely like 99.5%).

You should be more worried if that movie can play on a region A player. (UK is region B, U.S is region A). Many, but most definitely not all, are region free.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #46

Oct 2012
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
If your on Amazon UK website, you are getting the UK version of that move (well, most likely like 99.5%).

You should be more worried if that movie can play on a region A player. (UK is region B, U.S is region A). Many, but most definitely not all, are region free.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.

I'm in the UK and I'll be buying from Amazon UK, I was just wondering the best way to make sure the film version I'm getting matches the one in the US? I'm basing it on the US because most of the editor's reviews here are US versions.

So for example I don't want to buy based on a good review and then get a different version with a crappy transfer. Sometimes a blu-ray will be remastered to a higher standard in a new edition.

I have tried comparing release years and covers, but they don't always match up.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #47
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan1545d View Post
i just got back into blu rays after an almost 2 year stoppage and shit is so much cheaper now

i remember paying like 80 bucks for the dirty harry collection and being satisfied now its like 20 bucks
lol these late adopters have no idea what we went through. I remember freaking out cause I didn't have to pay 40+ for Hitman its now 9.99

Nice to see these old threads
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve23094 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.

I'm in the UK and I'll be buying from Amazon UK, I was just wondering the best way to make sure the film version I'm getting matches the one in the US? I'm basing it on the US because most of the editor's reviews here are US versions.

So for example I don't want to buy based on a good review and then get a different version with a crappy transfer. Sometimes a blu-ray will be remastered to a higher standard in a new edition.

I have tried comparing release years and covers, but they don't always match up.
You can check who distributes the film,if it is for example Universal studios in both cases then it will be the same quality.
If there are two different distributor's then I will search to find the corresponding thread on here and see what the general consensus is for that release versus the review on say the American release.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #49

Oct 2012

Thanks for that.

I took your advice and cross checked the distributer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion