COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
2010: The Year We Make Contact (Blu-ray)
$6.36
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Upotte!!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$44.42
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bourne Legacy (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark
Default Problem with black levels on my Samsung

This is sort of a long question, but here goes: I bought my current Samsung ps50C535 in November 2010. All-in-all I have been pleased with my purchase. The black levels could be a tad better and the humming noise can be heard, but coming from an LCD screen this TV was a revelation.

Well, in the last 4-5 months it has started showing some problems. I bought a Panasonic BDP30 blu-ray player back in August to be able to watch region A blu-rays. It worked but right from the start I noticed movies looking really "pale" on the new Panasonic player compared to my PS3. The screen would be brighter with black levels being worse. Black bars flow together with darker images within the framed image. Sometimes it would look excellent - as it should - but usually it looked pale. I figured it was a problem with the player until I hooked it up straight to the TV instead of through the receiver. The image was crisp and looked like the PS3.

So for the last couple of months I have just blamed it on the receiver. Well now my PS3 has its "pale" moments even when hooked up directly to the TV and not through the receiver. Today I was watching Paths of Glory on my Panasonic through the receiver. Image was perfect! Without turning off the TV I started playing some of the bonus features on the disc. Suddenly the image was pale again.

So the bottom line is this: my TV sometimes has great picture, and sometimes has crappy picture. I have yet to figure out what triggers this as it seems to happen completely at random. When it is bad there is barely any detail in darker areas and it looks a lot like my old LCD TV if that says anything. Nothing pops. Has anyone heard of this or know what triggers it? It is driving me completely mad to say the least.

Thanks

After watching Dark Knight Rises I have come to the conclusion that the PQ looks like a really sub-par LCD screen in terms of color and black levels.
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"

Last edited by Nielsb90; 12-14-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2010

I have this same problem sometimes, but only when watching a 3D movie. Generally, the black levels remain good in 2D viewing. I know the light around you can affect how you can perceive it, which leads me to my next point. When scenes are bright, they help make the blacks look inky but if it's a rather dark scene, I notice the paleness is really obvious then.
PSN ID: GamerBoy14

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV
250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

This just dawned on me

A couple of months back the TV was making a loud buzzing noise which caused me to send it for repair. They returned it without fixing it saying it wasn't too noisy. Now the noise is gone but the picture quality is crap. Can this be related? Is there a part that is burned out?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsb90 View Post
This just dawned on me

A couple of months back the TV was making a loud buzzing noise which caused me to send it for repair. They returned it without fixing it saying it wasn't too noisy. Now the noise is gone but the picture quality is crap. Can this be related? Is there a part that is burned out?
If you don't mind posting, what are your settings? Not everything, but the general stuff like brightness and contrast. As far as the buzz go, it's hard for me to say because sometimes mine is loud depending on where I am because of how the sound travels. Moving myself just a few inches can make it completely go away. If it is the problem, though, it sounds like something in the color production blew out.

250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Contrast 90
Brightness 48
Picture setting: Film
Sharpness: 0
Colors: Warm
Dynamic contrast, edge enhancement and all that jazz: 0

Well the TV is still making some noise but I would be happy to just get my old PQ back. When playing games or watching movies everything darker than a dark grey is just one color. There is no detail because of this. I am so pissed. There is no mention of a problem like this anywhere online - or at least I can't find it. When playing FIFA or watching Simpsons it is ok but dark movies now suck.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Have you tried a factory reset?
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiam Hayes View Post
Have you tried a factory reset?
Sounds like the best option at this point.

250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

I have tried factory reset. I called Samsung support and that was their advice. They couldn't tell me what the problem could be without sending it for repair.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Does the TV have a feature that will automatically adjust the image to the room lighting conditions ? Maybe the feature is "broken" ...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Just take it back,and don't take no for an answer.If the picture was good before,and has radically deteriorated,then that to me sounds like a clear case of something has gone off with your television.The service rep often just say that it's nothing.Had a denon headset which broke up soundwise when playing guitarriffs-strange that that was the only problem,but the repair guy just said nothing was wrong.Thankfully a salesrep from the store had listened to them,and noticed that too,so got a new set.They do this,so like I said don't take no for an answer.

Hope you'll get it fixed.

PS:TV's shouldn't make noises-apart from the speakers-should they?...WTF
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post
Just take it back,and don't take no for an answer.If the picture was good before,and has radically deteriorated,then that to me sounds like a clear case of something has gone off with your television.The service rep often just say that it's nothing.Had a denon headset which broke up soundwise when playing guitarriffs-strange that that was the only problem,but the repair guy just said nothing was wrong.Thankfully a salesrep from the store had listened to them,and noticed that too,so got a new set.They do this,so like I said don't take no for an answer.

From what I've read, mine included, most plasmas have a small buzz to them. Usually, it's so small it's unnoticeable.

250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

May 2011

Are you sure this is not a colour range mismatch? That's what the Limited/Full setting on PS3 does and your TV will also have settings for this under HDMI black level.

A factory reset should put everything to the right settings but sometimes you can get a 0-255 16-235 screwup.

If its not right on both TV and player then you either get washed out picture or crushed blacks.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Does the TV have a feature that will automatically adjust the image to the room lighting conditions ? Maybe the feature is "broken" ...
Like motion flow, I turn it off...
There is one set in the house where I can't do that, so I have two dimly lit wall lamps next to the set that is custom mounted over the fireplace to trick it into thinking the room is brightly lit. The lost detail in the dark areas of the image comes back to life.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

I have reset everything also on the PS3. I will look back into it when I get back to my apartment on the 28th. It just looks weird. Colors and black levels are seriously lacking - and those are the reasons I went with plasma in the first place. The odd thing is I watched Paths of Glory last friday and it looked absolutely incredible! There had been problems before that and it hasn't been good since but it just goes to show that the TV is able to show proper PQ! You all know how Plasmas kinda "reboot" when you pop in a movie or game, right? When it determines the source or whatever. It is usually dark and then it switches to bright.

I have all the extra features turned off and I haven't noticed any brightness adjustment so I guess that is not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post

Well - the warranty expired a month ago so they just said "nope - not our responsibility". I can make all the fuss I want but they have the law on their side. The buzzing is irritating as well.. I have been very unlucky with my electronics purchases - most of them break shortly after the warranty expires. Happened to TV, PS3, bass amplifier and receiver.. Can't afford it much longer lol.

Last edited by Nielsb90; 12-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

May 2011

Quote:
You all know how Plasmas kinda "reboot" when you pop in a movie or game, right? When it determines the source or whatever. It is usually dark and then it switches to bright.
No they don't reboot; every input usually has its own settings.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargo View Post
No they don't reboot; every input usually has its own settings.
Thats what I meant - I think. The picture kind of shuts off for a second and then pops back up with specs in the top corner.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

I'm now back at my apartment. I have been playing around with the PS3/TV settings without much luck.

I have noticed something weird however (this is just the story that keeps on giving, isn't it?)! I popped in John Carpenters The Thing and the picture on my TV now shuts off for a second when the screen is black! For example between the credits in the very beginning of the movie. My TV has never done this before, but it seems intentional. I just have no idea what function is doing this? This is what the TV would do if it adjusted to light, isn't it?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
I'm now back at my apartment. I have been playing around with the PS3/TV settings without much luck.

I have noticed something weird however (this is just the story that keeps on giving, isn't it?)! I popped in John Carpenters The Thing and the picture on my TV now shuts off for a second when the screen is black! For example between the credits in the very beginning of the movie. My TV has never done this before, but it seems intentional. I just have no idea what function is doing this? This is what the TV would do if it adjusted to light, isn't it?
That is normal.

PS3 Settings should be this:

Where is your HDMI Black Level output set to on your Samsung TV? (although this should only effect black levels with gaming).

Last edited by tele1962; 12-28-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Thank you for the link^^I adjusted the settings accordingly but with no luck. I wrote the company an angry but polite mail about their way of handling repairs. A service rep said she would see what she can do and asked for order numbers etc. I hope for the best!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Just got a final answer from the store - they wont help me.

I'm thinking I might take a break from this whole thing. Simply too expensive to go buy new gear every 6 months because it breaks. I could buy a cheaper TV but I won't settle for a lesser TV than the one I have now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs