COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.53
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Terror Train (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #421

Feb 2010

I just finished a 2nd movie now that a new TX NR 3010 is dialed in my system. I switched out from a Denon 4810 mainly due to the dts neo x capabilities, but I am very impressed with the overall performance of its processing. I run all external amps for the core 11 speaker setup plus an extra 3 speakers in an overhead array for a total of 14 speakers, and I must say my room has never sounded better. My question is if anyone has any experience with the Onkyo remote app as I am curious if it is worth exploring or not. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #422
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I just finished a 2nd movie now that a new TX NR 3010 is dialed in my system. I switched out from a Denon 4810 mainly due to the dts neo x capabilities, but I am very impressed with the overall performance of its processing. I run all external amps for the core 11 speaker setup plus an extra 3 speakers in an overhead array for a total of 14 speakers, and I must say my room has never sounded better. My question is if anyone has any experience with the Onkyo remote app as I am curious if it is worth exploring or not. Thanks.
It's a very simple remote and IMO the better option is to have a harmony remote , but you can always try it since it's free .
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #423

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
It's a very simple remote and IMO the better option is to have a harmony remote , but you can always try it since it's free .
The app I am looking at is "O remote" and is $4.99. I think you might be referring to something different possibly?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #424
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
to me, the best app for controlling onkyo's & integras is the oremote app. it's worth every penny too. i control all 3 of my onkyos with it, 5507, 509 & 8050 it works like a charm and is very customizable. i can't recommend anything over this app as i have several and this one is the best, album art for streaming and everything. anything you can do on the remote you can do on the app. at least anything i've needed to do.

best money spent on this type of app, trust me!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #425
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

for networking purposes and app use (any app) i recommend that on the receiver/pre-amp you turn off DHCP and give the unit a static IP address of a high number say 190 or something. this way the IP is never changed by the router and the app won't have to hunt for it when the router gives the receiver a new ip address and the app is looking for it under the old one. all of my receivers/pre-amps have a static IP address; so does my music server pc, for the same reason.
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #426

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
to me, the best app for controlling onkyo's & integras is the oremote app. it's worth every penny too. i control all 3 of my onkyos with it, 5507, 509 & 8050 it works like a charm and is very customizable. i can't recommend anything over this app as i have several and this one is the best, album art for streaming and everything. anything you can do on the remote you can do on the app. at least anything i've needed to do.

best money spent on this type of app, trust me!
Thank you! I will check it out.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #427

Feb 2010

Great app! Exactly what I am looking for. All of my gear is outside of my room, so the amount of information and control the app gives is amazing.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #428

Nov 2009
nc

i have an onkyo 808 that i bought 3rd party. worked fine for cple months, now its doing the random cycling thing. any way i can fix this? or just take a lose n get a newer model.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #429
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Hi all,

Is anyone using the latest firmware (from 7/2012) for the TX-NR708/808/etc? I am considering upgrading (I am currently using the version from 10/2011), because I'd like to try one of the iphone onkyo remote apps. The free onkyo app doesn't find my 708, and I'm assuming it's because I need a firmware update.

Couple questions: Is the firmware for sure the issue? Onkyo's site mentions the Android app in this update, but I don't know what's needed to support the iphone app. My network is working fine, my iphone sees my music server, and the onkyo finds pandora, etc with no problems. Also, any issues with this update? I mean, they haven't yanked Pandora or vTuner support or anything, right?

Lastly, will the latest update retain all my settings? I have everything written down, but I'd rather know going in...

Thanks!

Last edited by thebard; 01-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #430

Aug 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Hi all,

Is anyone using the latest firmware (from 7/2012) for the TX-NR708/808/etc? I am considering upgrading (I am currently using the version from 10/2011), because I'd like to try one of the iphone onkyo remote apps. The free onkyo app doesn't find my 708, and I'm assuming it's because I need a firmware update.

Couple questions: Is the firmware for sure the issue? Onkyo's site mentions the Android app in this update, but I don't know what's needed to support the iphone app. My network is working fine, my iphone sees my music server, and the onkyo finds pandora, etc with no problems. Also, any issues with this update? I mean, they haven't yanked Pandora or vTuner support or anything, right?

Lastly, will the latest update retain all my settings? I have everything written down, but I'd rather know going in...

Thanks!
I just updated my firmware with no issues. I have an Integra though.
Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP
Integra DTR-30.3
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Furman M-8DX Power Conditioner; Harmony One
Athena Technologies AS-F1.2 Mains
Athena Technologies AS-R1.2 Surrounds
Athena Technologies AS-C1.2 Center
Elemental Designs A3-300
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #431

Dec 2011
Default Dtr 70.4

I don't know if I'm hijacking anything here, I'm new on this board in terms of posting, but I recently got an Integra 70.4 and I love it, but here's something rather odd; I run 7.1 channels on this, for now, and any movie that plays in DTS (or any pcm source) automatically will play in 7.1 channels, no matter if it's only 5.1. It's automatically matrix-ing (or something) the surround back channels, which I don't want. In order to stop this from happening, I have to turn off those channels to get native sound, then re-enable them when I'm watching a TRUE 7.1 source. This is very annoying and frustrating. Does anyone else know about this or experience this? I'm running the Integra 50.3 Blu-ray player.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #432
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchvc View Post
I don't know if I'm hijacking anything here, I'm new on this board in terms of posting, but I recently got an Integra 70.4 and I love it, but here's something rather odd; I run 7.1 channels on this, for now, and any movie that plays in DTS (or any pcm source) automatically will play in 7.1 channels, no matter if it's only 5.1. It's automatically matrix-ing (or something) the surround back channels, which I don't want. In order to stop this from happening, I have to turn off those channels to get native sound, then re-enable them when I'm watching a TRUE 7.1 source. This is very annoying and frustrating. Does anyone else know about this or experience this? I'm running the Integra 50.3 Blu-ray player.
Go into the setup menu and listening modes, there you can select the input that your wanting to setup, then you can change it to whatever listening mode you prefer, for me, I have them all setup as such

Analog/PCM 2-ch
Mono/multi 2-ch
2-ch source 2-ch
DD/DDTHD/DD Plus Straight Decode
DTS/DTSHD/DTS-ES Straight Decode
Other Multi ch Straight Decode

Irronically I never use any of the 2-ch modes because I have an integrated amp that handles all my music sources. In any case, Straight Decode will help to ensure you that what plays out your system is the same way it came into your system.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #433

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchvc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Go into the setup menu and listening modes, there you can select the input that your wanting to setup, then you can change it to whatever listening mode you prefer, for me, I have them all setup as such

Analog/PCM 2-ch
Mono/multi 2-ch
2-ch source 2-ch
DD/DDTHD/DD Plus Straight Decode
DTS/DTSHD/DTS-ES Straight Decode
Other Multi ch Straight Decode

Irronically I never use any of the 2-ch modes because I have an integrated amp that handles all my music sources. In any case, Straight Decode will help to ensure you that what plays out your system is the same way it came into your system.

From what I've read elsewhere this is normal operation of the newer DTS decoders. It is design to duplicate channels to the maximum number of speakers active on your receiver. It is duplicating your surrounds to your rears, same would happen if you had front high or wides except it would duplicate from the main left and right.

Its not the same as DSPs such as PLIIx , as far as I know you can not defeat this as it is part of the decoder function.

I don't believe Dobly decoders have this function, its a DTS thing.

Think of it this way, you now have an array of surround speakers instead of just 2 speakers, kind of like a movie theater.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||

Last edited by Remo; 02-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #434

Jun 2011
Nashville, TN

Anyone have any suggestions on this question...

On my 717 I can't seem to get the onscreen menu to display on my TV.

I can hit the home button and the screen goes black for a little while then it just goes blue.

I have also tried the receiver with multiple TV's in my house same outcome each time, I have reset the receiver, and nothing seems to work. I even called the Onkyo help and they gave the general "make sure you are on the correct input type answers"

Anyone have any ideas? It does show movies, my game, etc with no problems, just the damn on screen menu will not show up.

Also it shows the Onkyo logo when I turn the TV on.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #435
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on this question...

On my 717 I can't seem to get the onscreen menu to display on my TV.

I can hit the home button and the screen goes black for a little while then it just goes blue.

I have also tried the receiver with multiple TV's in my house same outcome each time, I have reset the receiver, and nothing seems to work. I even called the Onkyo help and they gave the general "make sure you are on the correct input type answers"

Anyone have any ideas? It does show movies, my game, etc with no problems, just the damn on screen menu will not show up.

Also it shows the Onkyo logo when I turn the TV on.
is your tv connected to the receiver via hdmi? are your inputs all hdmi?
NY GIANTS!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #436

Jun 2011
Nashville, TN

According to the instruction manual the on screen menu only works with the HDMI Main, so yes it is connected via hdmi to the TV.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #437
Special Member

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
According to the instruction manual the on screen menu only works with the HDMI Main, so yes it is connected via hdmi to the TV.
Has the menu been disabled? I know there is an option on the 609. Follow the manuals instructions on how to enable the osd. Worth a try.
LG 42" LW6510 3D TV | Onkyo TX-NR 609 (7.2 Setup) |
Sony PS4 - 500 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region A)|
Oppo BD-103 | HP Envy M6 |
Polk Audio CSi A6 | Polk Audio Tsi 500's | Polk Audio Tsi 100's | Wharfedale Diamond 10 DFS Surrounds | JBL ES250PBK |
Optoma HD25-LV 3D Projector | Elite Manual Screen 109"
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #438

Jan 2013
North Carolina

Well gents,
I finally took the plunge and decided to replace my sr 605 that Ive had for 5 very good years... My personal financial advisor (my wife) approved me for.... drum roll please..... A NEW 818 WHOO WHOO!! I was gonna get a Marantz 6006 but for 100.00 extra it seemed like a no brainer. Shipped out today from A4L and after seeing Blu Bennys in pics of course now Im salivating like a dog till it gets here.. 1 quick question tho.. am I going to overdrive my speakers till I get my new ones? I can almost smell the new now LOL
LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)
Klipsch Sub 12
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #439

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears_t2 View Post
Well gents,
I finally took the plunge and decided to replace my sr 605 that Ive had for 5 very good years... My personal financial advisor (my wife) approved me for.... drum roll please..... A NEW 818 WHOO WHOO!! I was gonna get a Marantz 6006 but for 100.00 extra it seemed like a no brainer. Shipped out today from A4L and after seeing Blu Bennys in pics of course now Im salivating like a dog till it gets here.. 1 quick question tho.. am I going to overdrive my speakers till I get my new ones? I can almost smell the new now LOL
Congrats! You'll love the 818

No you'll be fine. If you hear distortion turn it down, simple as that.

Not having enough power and running the amp into clipping will damage speakers far sooner than having extra power while being smart with the volume control.

Please do post an update when you get that new AVR hooked up and calibrated , and of course post if you have questions about setting it up.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||

Last edited by Remo; 02-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #440
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Gizmonic Institute, Northeast PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
From what I've read elsewhere this is normal operation of the newer DTS decoders. It is design to duplicate channels to the maximum number of speakers active on your receiver. It is duplicating your surrounds to your rears, same would happen if you had front high or wides except it would duplicate from the main left and right.

Its not the same as DSPs such as PLIIx , as far as I know you can not defeat this as it is part of the decoder function.

I don't believe Dobly decoders have this function, its a DTS thing.

Think of it this way, you now have an array of surround speakers instead of just 2 speakers, kind of like a movie theater.
Thanks for posting. I have had the same issue and never understood it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion