Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Walk 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.50
21 hrs ago
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.97

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.89

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.92

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

Drive Angry 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.88

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #741
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
No 3D cameras, no sale. It's no different than colorizing a black and white film.
Stubborn but totally understand, appreciate and respect your stance. I've read enough posts of yours through the years to know how steadfast you are with quality and integrity.
Me, I'm somewhat like that but not to the point where I won't give something a shot if its done well.
I whole heartedly agree that conversions don't hold up to natively shot 3D but there's some pretty good stuff, recently. Half my collection of 3D titles from what I bought in the early days, wouldn't even have a chance to remotely come close to crossing my mind to purchase nowadays.
It's all good man. I'm just surprised you even gave 3D a shot seeing if I remember correctly, you were not a fan at all when it first came out, with good reason too. With me, I just loved the experience so I had to have them all Peace
Epson 6010 3D projector +120" powered Elite Cinetension. Integra 30.7 AVR + APC J-10
7.3 Def Tech BP10B 2006TL 2002 CLR Pro Monitor 1000
SVS PB2000 + PB12 NSD + Def Tech supercube 1 Oppo BDP-93. Sonos Connect + Niles OS7.3
HT=Magni2 Uber, Portable=Oppo HE-2, DFR. Desktop=Balanced Gumby Multibit Gen 5>Mjolnir2>Ember V.2
HP=Balanced AFO, Balanced LCD2-C, Balanced Elear, Balanced HE560, TH-X00 PH mod, Balanced Peterek modded MDR-Z7, 99 classic, Neo, AH-D2000 mod, Balanced HD 650.

Last edited by koover; 12-05-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #742

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoktober View Post
Or maybe as in Titanic, the technology wasn't there when the film was shot, an
d now that it is, filmmakers can see their vision fully realized.

Titanic knocks the socks off most native 3D films.
I wouldn't go down this road if I were you.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #743
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post
I wouldn't go down this road if I were you.
I 100% agree. I can't think of a single converted title that "knocks your socks off" versus a natively shot film.
Hell, I remember people were dogging a film called A Dolphins Tale because it didn't have strong 3D with all kinds of pop out scenes. But IMO, it' s still better than any conversion I've seen.
By the way, a good movie too, just because I'm a sucker for family, feel good animal movies with heart.
Epson 6010 3D projector +120" powered Elite Cinetension. Integra 30.7 AVR + APC J-10
7.3 Def Tech BP10B 2006TL 2002 CLR Pro Monitor 1000
SVS PB2000 + PB12 NSD + Def Tech supercube 1 Oppo BDP-93. Sonos Connect + Niles OS7.3
HT=Magni2 Uber, Portable=Oppo HE-2, DFR. Desktop=Balanced Gumby Multibit Gen 5>Mjolnir2>Ember V.2
HP=Balanced AFO, Balanced LCD2-C, Balanced Elear, Balanced HE560, TH-X00 PH mod, Balanced Peterek modded MDR-Z7, 99 classic, Neo, AH-D2000 mod, Balanced HD 650.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #744
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
Stubborn but totally understand, appreciate and respect your stance. I've read enough posts of yours through the years to know how steadfast you are with quality and integrity.
Me, I'm somewhat like that but not to the point where I won't give something a shot if its done well.
I whole heartedly agree that conversions don't hold up to natively shot 3D but there's some pretty good stuff, recently. Half my collection of 3D titles from what I bought in the early days, wouldn't even have a chance to remotely come close to crossing my mind to purchase nowadays.
It's all good man. I'm just surprised you even gave 3D a shot seeing if I remember correctly, you were not a fan at all when it first came out, with good reason too. With me, I just loved the experience so I had to have them all Peace
I appreciate the fact that you understand and respect my position. There's just really only a few things I won't budge on: OAR, losless audio, colorizing B & W films, and native 3D only.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #745

Feb 2012
Canada

Native 3D is better to look at. The converting ruins the picture quality, no getting around that. Also native has better shape and finer details, not getting around that as well.

I've done a lot of 3D still photography this past year so I notice instantly that everything isn't shaped right in a conversion. Titanic is the only one that I think makes the most of what conversions can do.

Last edited by Rainhurt; 12-06-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #746
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

For those who didn't like 3D but now like it, would you say it was weak 3D movies like Clash of the Titans (for example) that turned you away, in addition to having to wear 3D glasses (active or passive)? Thanks.

Quote:
The only 3D title that I own that has any converted material is Immortals. However, all of the SFX shots (fight scenes) were shot with 3D cameras and look absolutely stunning. It will more than likely be the only 3D title in my collection that wasn't originally shot completely in 3D.
Yeah, Immortals looks great for a 3D conversion for the 3D layers> I didn't know the kick @ss fight scenes were filmed 3D. I'll watch that one again soon. Cool movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Twinks View Post
IMO, the 'best' converted 2D-->3D movie I have seen in my HT was Titanic 3D.
It's a perfect example of the strongest direct 2D to 3D conversion I've seen.

-------
I can see why it might cost 18 million to convert. Most movie conversions probably don't set aside a budget like that. CGI heavy movies like Avengers can end up with great 3D during the CGI shots. The live action shots usually pale in comparison.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #747
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

I don't even have a 3D tv yet, but I'm starting to slowly buy movies with both 3D and 2D included in the same pack for only a few bucks more. Also may blind buy on occasion if $12 or lower.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #748
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

All that I could find about Immortals' use of native 3D cameras:

Quote:
We did a lot of scenes that we shot in 3D and a lot of the other stuff we shot, we shot in 2D and took plates in 3D. I found it too limited in terms of action to shoot it all in 3D. Some things that you do, the camera makes it look like a 1950's movie because the camera becomes too bulky. The action sequences and most of the stuff with the Gods was actually converted. But it's really about knowing what you want to do with it instead of just giving it to somebody to convert. The little girl and the visions and everything, though, we actually shot in 3D.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/wonde...s.php?id=76106
Quote:
In fact, a small number of "Immortals" scenes were shot in 3D -- including material intended for a teaser trailer that ended up being a used in the film itself -- but the vast majority of the footage was captured in 2D.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118045792
I'll have to check out the 3D version some time. Unfortunately, I only got to see the 2D in theaters.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 12-06-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #749
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
I appreciate the fact that you understand and respect my position. There's just really only a few things I won't budge on: OAR, losless audio, colorizing B & W films, and native 3D only.
What about converted animations, where the film is practically re-made in 3D. Have you seen Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King? They're just below Avatar and Hugo on my top 3D rankings. What did you think?

I'm not arguing with ya. You seem a good bloke. I'm just interested where you stand on conversions like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #750
Special Member

Aug 2011
Minnesota!

Quote:
I respect and also agree with some of your standards. I have been playing with my 3D FP setup for almost 7 months and I am 'solidifying' my standards. First and foremost is sound, mainly with bass punch in movies (ie War of the Worlds 2005) and also with I am still 'building' my BD collection and I am coming across a few gems in 3D and 2D. Still learning but having a fun time with this hobby.
LG OLED 65 C7P
Klipsch 450c, RP150, RP240S, SVS Prime Elevation
2x HSU ULS15MK2 and VTF15HMK2 subs
Denon 4400H
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #751
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010

Quote:
I respect and also agree with some of your standards. I have been playing with my 3D FP setup for almost 7 months and I am 'solidifying' my standards. First and foremost is sound, mainly with bass punch in movies (ie War of the Worlds 2005) and also with I am still 'building' my BD collection and I am coming across a few gems in 3D and 2D. Still learning but having a fun time with this hobby.
Awesome. If you have any questions just let me know. Sometimes I feel like I have been involved with A/V stuff for a lifetime...I guess I can count since I was 2 years old that so that's almost 30 years.
My Home Theater
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #752
Special Member

Aug 2011
Minnesota!

Quote:
Awesome. If you have any questions just let me know. Sometimes I feel like I have been involved with A/V stuff for a lifetime...I guess I can count since I was 2 years old that so that's almost 30 years.
Cool, I've been playing with A/V for a while but it was my No 2 hobby, now it is my No 1 hobby and I feel like I am just scratching the surface.
LG OLED 65 C7P
Klipsch 450c, RP150, RP240S, SVS Prime Elevation
2x HSU ULS15MK2 and VTF15HMK2 subs
Denon 4400H
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #753
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010

Quote:
Cool, I've been playing with A/V for a while but it was my No 2 hobby, now it is my No 1 hobby and I feel like I am just scratching the surface.
Whatever you do don't listen to the guys over at AVS. Other than a distinct few most will get annoyed with you if you don't have 3 amps, a $1500 receiver, and a $500 BD player.
My Home Theater
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #754
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

I was one of those haters. I recently bought an Epson 5020UB that does 3D. Am I still a hater ? No. Do I love it ? No. But I don't hate it anymore. It's a fun little toy once in a while.
JVC DLA-RS400, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

Second setup: Sony XBR65X900E, Sony UBP-X800, NAD C388, Paradigm Studio 60's.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #755

Aug 2010

Quote:
I 100% agree. I can't think of a single converted title that "knocks your socks off" versus a natively shot film.
Hell, I remember people were dogging a film called A Dolphins Tale because it didn't have strong 3D with all kinds of pop out scenes. But IMO, it' s still better than any conversion I've seen.
By the way, a good movie too, just because I'm a sucker for family, feel good animal movies with heart.
I actually like Titanic and Men In Black 3 more than about any native 3D film out there.

For the latter, the director made the interesting argument that he chose to convert vs. using 3D cameras because he had more control over just how much everything popped out or sunk back. It looked phenomenal at any rate!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #756
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Sorry have to disagree with you....if you saw Wrath, JC or AbrahamL you will see 3D there is a lot lot better than native crap like Underworld.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #757

Jul 2009
Angers, France

I feel exactly the same.

In the beginning I thought 3D was crap.

Then I got an LG Cinema Display 3D Set and I actually love 3D at home much more than in most movie theaters.

I also thought converted 3D was crap. But then came Titanic, Avengers, etc. Which are way better than a lot of movies shot in 3D.

An interesting thought I had last night is how important is the studio/technical crew important in 3D.

Most of the amazing 3D movies I own/watched are from 20th century fox.
I guess Cameron was able to help other director's of the Studio in that regard.

PS : I finally bought and Watch Avatar in 3D Yesterday, and it's sooo amazing. A whole different movie for me. I even thought that they should forbid selling it in 2D
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #758

Dec 2012

Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:

Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #759

Dec 2012

Anyone?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #760
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:

Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
I'm a little confused by the way you wrote this. You said you have a *passive* 3D TV, but say you don't have *active* 3D glasses, and then also refer to passive 3D followed up with "anaglyph".

Are you asking if the red/blue style glasses will work on side by side 3D? If so, no they won't. To view side by side, you will need the glasses that are compatible with your TV. If your TV is passive, you need passive glasses. If your TV is active, you'll need active glasses.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3dtv, fad