Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Terminator: Genisys 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Lion of Judah 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.93
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.94
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
The Smurfs 2 in 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.17
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.77
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #621
sookymonster sookymonster is offline
Special Member
 
sookymonster's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
89
Thumbs down Doom & Gloom

Today from Nasdaq -

http://community.nasdaq.com/News/201...storyid=192356

I hate stories like this as I love 3D. Claims it has failed again, yet does not mention that 4 out the top 5 grossing movies are 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #622
AmrlKJaneway AmrlKJaneway is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
AmrlKJaneway's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
57
92
126
3
431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
Today from Nasdaq -

http://community.nasdaq.com/News/201...storyid=192356

I hate stories like this as I love 3D. Claims it has failed again, yet does not mention that 4 out the top 5 grossing movies are 3D.
1. Gone With The Wind
2. Star Wars
3. The Sound of Music
4. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Titanic

1 out of 5, and it was post-converted fifteen years later.

The other list;

1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. The Avengers
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Does not account for inflation, or the increased ticket price of 3D. Plus, two of these movies were post-converted over a decade later, after they'd made the bulk of their profit.

Love 3D as much as you want, I do too. But we can't deny its fading popularity. Auto-stereoscopic/holography will save it, but don't hold your breath for them.

You'll have to wait for the 3D revolution, ver 4.0!

Last edited by AmrlKJaneway; 11-24-2012 at 07:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #623
sookymonster sookymonster is offline
Special Member
 
sookymonster's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
1. Gone With The Wind
2. Star Wars
3. The Sound of Music
4. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Titanic

1 out of 5, and it was post-converted fifteen years later.

The other list;

1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. The Avengers
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Does not account for inflation, or the increased ticket price of 3D. Plus, two of these movies were post-converted over a decade later, after they'd made the bulk of their profit.

Love 3D as much as you want, I do too. But we can't deny its fading popularity. Auto-stereoscopic/holography will save it, but don't hold your breath for them.

You'll have to wait for the 3D revolution, ver 4.0!
Mate, your wrong, sorry, here it is from box office mojo-



WORLDWIDE GROSSES
#1-100 - #101-200 - #201-300 - #301-400 - #401-500 - #501-504

Pink highlight = official revisions of older movies
Gold highlight = now playing or recent movies



Rank

Title

Studio

Worldwide

Domestic / %

Overseas / %

Year^



1

Avatar

Fox

$2,782.3

$760.5

27.3%

$2,021.8

72.7%

2009^



2

Titanic

Par.

$2,185.4

$658.7

30.1%

$1,526.7

69.9%

1997^



3

Marvel's The Avengers

BV

$1,511.8

$623.4

41.2%

$888.4

58.8%

2012



4

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

WB

$1,328.1

$381.0

28.7%

$947.1

71.3%

2011



5

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

P/DW

$1,123.7

$352.4

31.4%

$771.4

68.6%

2011

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Actually I was wrong, its 5 from 5.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #624
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
1. Gone With The Wind
2. Star Wars
3. The Sound of Music
4. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Titanic

1 out of 5, and it was post-converted fifteen years later.

The other list;

1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. The Avengers
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Does not account for inflation, or the increased ticket price of 3D.
so? times change, the second one is based on ac tual numbers while the first one is based on made up useless numbers that come out of no where.

Does the first list take into consideration, for example, that when Gone With The Wind came out there was nothing else to do (no TV, no PCs) and so movies where one of the very few activities for people back then? That back then a ticket was a fraction of a low end hourly wage while now they can be several times one (i.e. I just watched skyfall in Imax and the ticket was 20$, that means someone making minimum wage here they would need to work more hours then the running length of the film). Does it take into consideration that today I can see a film in theatres or at home a few weeks later but there was a time when the only option was to see a film in the theatres and so many of those films were re-released in theatres over the years because they thought people would want to re-see them. Does the first list take into consideration that today there are very very few second run theatres, but that for some of the films there were many second and thrid run theatres where the prices were practicaly free so teenagers did not care what was playing since buying the ticket there was all about having a nice dark room to make out in.

For some films the ticket sales are known, for others they are not and so it comes down to making up a guess at how many ticket sold based on revenue and then multiplying it with a fake number to give a guess of how well it would do today.

And in this discussion it makes even less sense to look at the adjusted chart. Why? in 2010 when Avatar’s numbers shot them to #1, they had the adjusted for inflation as lower then what it actually did in revenue, why? because most films were in 2D 2009 and so the “adjusted” ticket price was a lot more heavily influenced by 2D ticket price, today because there are a lot of films in 3D the average ticket price is higher and even in many ways the prices of tickets have not really changed the “adjusted ticket price” has.

PS also the adjusted chart is only for the US and so completely meaningless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #625
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
Mate, your wrong, sorry, here it is from box office mojo-
actually he used http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
because studios don't make decisions on how much people spend in the world but only on some made up number that is only limited to the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #626
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
PS also the adjusted chart is only for the US and so completely meaningless.
Actually, the discussion is centered on box office receipts, and thus is completely meaningless.

The ridiculous game - which has devolved into some kind of "horse race" statistics - is that of counting box office receipts, over some defined amount of time. We get the wacky stuff:
  • Opening Weekend Numbers
  • Movie A vs Movie B on opening weekend
  • How the movie did with some age group or the other
  • Movie receipts by rating
  • How much money did it make since "X" date (Christmas, your birthday, whatever)
  • What season it was released in
These are games the studios play, of little or no interest to the consumer at all. Either you want to see the movie, or you don't. More importantly, do you want to got to the theater or not - this is increasingly a huge question.

Studios can pile up some cash pretty quickly, with a short chain from the theater to their bank accounts - fewer middlemen. Going the video route has more costs, and more fingers dipping into that stream of money - but the river can run for years if you have a hit, and ultimately return more cash, in many cases.

Since there are no same day theater and video releases, they can keep that quiet. Hold off on releasing the video, and the cash comes in faster. As far as revenue, and eyeballs on the film, video wins - some of the same theatergoers double dip, and I hate to shock people or commit heresy, but most people don't go to theaters. Many do, but most don't, or go very rarely. Virtually all buy videos.

If any statistic does not include total box office plus total video sales, since the time of initial release - it's immaterial. You will have a tough time getting these numbers, because it is not in the producer's interests to make the public privy to that information.

As long as the nightly newscaster can breathlessly give this week's box office number and give the absolutely moronic "who won this weekend" numbers, the public will be fooled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #627
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
124
Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Actually, the discussion is centered on box office receipts, and thus is completely meaningless.

The ridiculous game - which has devolved into some kind of "horse race" statistics - is that of counting box office receipts, over some defined amount of time. We get the wacky stuff://

I hate to shock people or commit heresy, but most people don't go to theaters. Many do, but most don't, or go very rarely. Virtually all buy videos.

As long as the nightly newscaster can breathlessly give this week's box office number and give the absolutely moronic "who won this weekend" numbers, the public will be fooled.
Interesting info, thanks.
New movie theaters have gone up in my area in the past 4 years, and they're doing well enough to stay in business past the first year (still open). So even though a lot of people I ask "Do you go to the movie theater to see a movie, or just rent/buy it?", end up saying, "I buy/rent it", myself and a good number of others are keeping the theaters alive and well thankfully, for the foreseeable future.

I love the movie theater. It's like entering another world. Cinemark does a great job with the theater experience, seating, movie times, selection, 3D, etc.

As far as 3D movies, I'd say 2013's line up of 3D movies is a good example, along with the huge movie Hobbit 3D, that 3D is not dying, but remaining strong, thanks to stronger 3D efforts by studios like Dreamworks, etc.

Many senior citizens could care less about 3D (not all), but I agree that 3D will go mainstream when we can buy a glasses-free 3DTV for the same price as a 2DTV. I'd say within the next 8 years hopefully.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #628
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Interesting info, thanks.
New movie theaters have gone up in my area in the past 4 years, and they're doing well enough to stay in business past the first year (still open). So even though a lot of people I ask "Do you go to the movie theater to see a movie, or just rent/buy it?", end up saying, "I buy/rent it", myself and a good number of others are keeping the theaters alive and well thankfully, for the foreseeable future.
They're not going anywhere, but they're a niche. The whole "experience" thing is enchanting for folks who can't afford that kind of faux opulence and presentation at home, but more folks are getting around to it. Once, there were only sqare television screens, and little built-in speakers - that's changing.

But as long as people are compressed into shared living spaces, such as apartments and condominiums, or folks they live with or near can't handle the noise - they'll feel the need to get the heck out of there and go to a movie - and theaters will be there. It's a lot cheaper to go to the show than it is to build up a big home theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I love the movie theater. It's like entering another world. Cinemark does a great job with the theater experience, seating, movie times, selection, 3D, etc.

As far as 3D movies, I'd say 2013's line up of 3D movies is a good example, along with the huge movie Hobbit 3D, that 3D is not dying, but remaining strong, thanks to stronger 3D efforts by studios like Dreamworks, etc.
I always look over my shoulder when adjectives like "huge" and "blockbuster" get use, because what's huge at the local high school isn't huge at the old folk's home, and vice versa. With ticket prices what they are, I like to do the long division to see how many actual people, not dollar bills, flow into the theater. It's a whole new way of looking at things.

3D isn't going to "die", but it will change. It has to, so all markets - theaters, video, and broadcast - can actually be utilized by folks without destroying their budgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Many senior citizens could care less about 3D (not all), but I agree that 3D will go mainstream when we can buy a glasses-free 3DTV for the same price as a 2DTV. I'd say within the next 8 years hopefully.
It's mostly the under-25 market that's enamored of it - over that age, and they don't give a hoot about Harry Potter, Hobbits, or any of it. If that market is supplied with a product they can afford, they'll buy it. It will all work out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #629
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:



Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #630
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Anyone?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #631
Dotpattern Dotpattern is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dotpattern's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Southern California
1029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:



Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
I'm a little confused by the way you wrote this. You said you have a *passive* 3D TV, but say you don't have *active* 3D glasses, and then also refer to passive 3D followed up with "anaglyph".

Are you asking if the red/blue style glasses will work on side by side 3D? If so, no they won't. To view side by side, you will need the glasses that are compatible with your TV. If your TV is passive, you need passive glasses. If your TV is active, you'll need active glasses.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #632
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotpattern View Post
I'm a little confused by the way you wrote this. You said you have a *passive* 3D TV, but say you don't have *active* 3D glasses, and then also refer to passive 3D followed up with "anaglyph".

Are you asking if the red/blue style glasses will work on side by side 3D? If so, no they won't.
In the words of Inigo Montoya, that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...
"Anaglyph", as you hear it mentioned around these parts, refers to those old red/blue color glasses from the 90's, and good danged riddance.

If you were looking for the word meaning "Passive" = "Cheap plastic polarized theater glasses", you MIGHT have a set that can convert Side-By-Side clips into the set's chosen 3DTV format...Check your instruction manual.
If so, and you have a smart YouTube connection that can search SBS clips onscreen, then, yes, if you dig up a SBS clip and your set can convert, it should be able to display them in a manner the glasses are accustomed to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #633
Dotpattern Dotpattern is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dotpattern's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Southern California
1029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
"Anaglyph", as you hear it mentioned around these parts, refers to those old red/blue color glasses from the 90's, and good danged riddance.
Yes, that's what I said and then said those would not work on side by side.

Last edited by Dotpattern; 12-29-2012 at 03:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #634
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Sorry if I have confused you guys:

Basically:
There r two types of 3d movies arent they? side by side and the blurry ones. If i get a movie that is side-by-side in 3d, is it possible to change the 3d mode on that movie to blurry?

so can any 3d film be shown in side-by-side and blurry?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #635
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Sorry if I have confused you guys:

Basically:
There r two types of 3d movies arent they? side by side and the blurry ones. If i get a movie that is side-by-side in 3d, is it possible to change the 3d mode on that movie to blurry?

so can any 3d film be shown in side-by-side and blurry?
There are several types of formats that render 3D. 1080P High resolution for each eye, - 3D authored on Blu-ray discs use "frame-packing" (see the [PDF] of Stereoscopic 3D Video in the Home - SpectraCal or via Quick View ).

Paul
Avatar: IMAX Header
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 02-08-2013 at 11:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #636
3Dfan 3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKH View Post
I didn't like 3D movies in till I watched Hugo 3D in the theatres. After I watched it I started to see the potential that 3D has. I watched MIB 3 in 3D too and it was really cool. But when I watched Star Wars: TPM in 3D, I was really disappointed. I guess its a hit or miss with 3D.
iirc, men in black 3 and sw:tpm were both "2d to 3d conversions" and "hugo" was actually filmed in 3d.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #637
3Dfan 3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
Default

[QUOTE=GunZenBomZ;6363224]Hate it (eg: headaches/eye-strain/nausea), I was one of the first people to give the community a slap in the face regarding health effects. Which all been proved true & the industry admitted too them finally in a smallish percentage of people. Or was it the online sites doing surveys?!? nvm

QUOTE]

which is weird since I asked optometrists about it when I was a kid and they said watching 3-d (with the 3-d glasses) won't hurt or damage your eyes or eyesight in any way at all.

Last edited by 3Dfan; 09-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #638
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
which is weird since I asked optometrists about it when I was a kid and they said watching 3-d (with the 3-d glasses) won't hurt or damage your eyes or eyesight in any way at all.

Just curious...
  1. How many optometrists did you consult?
  2. For what condition?
  3. When were you a kid? Before electric glasses, or after?
It sounds unusual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #639
Zak2000 Zak2000 is offline
Active Member
 
Zak2000's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Austria
157
51
7
Default

just a short question from a 3D-newbie:

Will the current 3D BDs still work in the near future when 4k screens and 3D TVs without required glasses comes out? Or is this perhaps a brandnew technology after all?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #640
blu-ray apprentice blu-ray apprentice is offline
Member
 
blu-ray apprentice's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
milwaukee,WI.
7
72
7
5
Default

3D is the best thing to happened to film since DVD. I think it's here to stay, after all James Cameron introduced it & he is a wizard of the silver screen. I don't understand why people say its stupid. It adds to the film. However I will admit that all 3D is not created equal.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 PM.