Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #641

Dec 2012
Default Oppo and CIFS

I just purchased the Oppo BDP-103 player and it seamlessly intergrated with my system. I streamed movies from my PC which was running Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit,which I acessed thru the Oppo using the icon that looked to be two PC towers on the network screen.It played all of my movies that I had on my PC.
A few things happened ,first I had to replace my PC .While I was waiting on new PC Oppo released a firmware update.When I finnaly got my new PC which now runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit I went to watch a movie using my ussual method of acessing the content on PC ,Oppo network screen and clicked on the icon with the two PC towers when a prompt for a password and a username showed on screen which I never seen or had to fill in before.
I exausted al of the passwords and usernames that I currently have on my PC but none worked. After some research I found out that this new screen is a CISF log in screen ,I reread all of the manuals I have on allthe installed hardware and software on my new PC and the Oppo.Nowhere did I find any information on what to do.

Has anyone else encountered this screen and if so how was it taken care of ?
any tips or hint would be greatly appreciated.

Ruzzo
Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #642
Expert Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzo View Post
I just purchased the Oppo BDP-103 player and it seamlessly intergrated with my system. I streamed movies from my PC which was running Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit,which I acessed thru the Oppo using the icon that looked to be two PC towers on the network screen.It played all of my movies that I had on my PC.
A few things happened ,first I had to replace my PC .While I was waiting on new PC Oppo released a firmware update.When I finnaly got my new PC which now runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit I went to watch a movie using my ussual method of acessing the content on PC ,Oppo network screen and clicked on the icon with the two PC towers when a prompt for a password and a username showed on screen which I never seen or had to fill in before.
I exausted al of the passwords and usernames that I currently have on my PC but none worked. After some research I found out that this new screen is a CISF log in screen ,I reread all of the manuals I have on allthe installed hardware and software on my new PC and the Oppo.Nowhere did I find any information on what to do.

Has anyone else encountered this screen and if so how was it taken care of ?
any tips or hint would be greatly appreciated.

Ruzzo
This was posted on AVS recently from globalnomad:
Quote:
To anyone who is getting "login failed" screens when using SMB (Windows share):

My Win7 x64 settings:

Under the "Sharing>>Advanced Sharing" option of the folder properties I have given permissions to Everyone.

Similarly, under the "Security" tab, I have given full-control to Everyone.

Under "Control Panel>>Network & Sharing Center>> Advanced sharing settings" I have the following:

Network Discovery: On
File and printer sharing: On
Public folder sharing: Off (was previously on, but that didn't work)
File sharing connections: Use 128-bit
Password protected sharing: On
HomeGroup Connections: Windows manages. (Note: I have not set up a homegroup).

With the above settings, my share is accessible and playing smoothly from the player. Oppo now accepts my username/password combination. With password protection turned off it would not work. Oppo support emailed me in response to my inquiry and said that the player must input a password. At this juncture I'm not 100% certain that giving continued access to Everyone is a requirement, but I have noticed that nonetheless my phone now asks for a user/pass when before it could access my share without. I might experiment in the future after I savor my victory, but for now I'm leaving my settings as is.

Also, as a note to those who say their share isn't visible to start with: make sure your Ethernet cable going into your router is on the "Internet" (or its equivalent) port, otherwise the IP addresses will not be within the same domain and will be considered different networks.

I hope this helps others!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #643
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

Hi folks. Love my new BD-103.

Today though it couldn't play my Dark Shadows Blu-ray which has always been fine on my PS3 and my old stand alone.

Anybody have any similar stories or hopefully solutions.

Thanks all.

Take care,

~LD
Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #644
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Been thinking about the 103 and have been reading many glowing reviews. I have heard many positives about this player. So to anyone who has one, what are some things that you DISLIKE about the player. I know it is a great player, but I want to do my homework before I drop $500 on one. Thanks everyone.
I recently bought the 105 ($1200) and there's an issue where about the first second of audio doesn't play. This is usually on the video logo, so it's not a big deal, but I still found it annoying. OPPO says this is because they use relays. I also sometimes get digital noise as it starts a movie or switches, which I haven't gotten with other players.

The other thing I've found is that if I come back to a movie that's already in the drive (because I didn't watch the whole thing), the Java menu doesn't always display. In those cases, I have to Eject, power down, power up and start over (which is weird because it was powered down between viewings). OPPO suggests I clear memory and shut off the Live-BD access, but I haven't tried that yet.

One time when I started up a movie that was already in the player, I got no audio. But that happened only once.

On the other hand, HDMI audio quality is far superior to the Sony I was previously using. I had expected that only analog audio would have been better. I really don't know why it's better, but it is. It has a smoothness and transparency that the Sony didn't have. Theoretically, since it's just sending a bitstream to the receiver, there really shouldn't be any difference in HDMI audio quality. And the general build quality of the player is far better. Just watching and listening to the tray slide in and out demonstrates how much better a player this is and I believe that the 103 has the same mechanics.

My $130 Sony 570 was a great player for the money. You're not getting 4x the quality in the OPPO. So if "acceptable" quality is good enough for you, I'd say go buy some cheaper player. But if want the very last bit of quality and if you care about owning a far better constructed component, you'll want the OPPO. I used to have the OPPO BDP-83 and I loved that thing.

To put it another way, if your computer is a cheap Dell or the like, you'll probably want the typical Sony or Panasonic BD player. If your computer is a MacPro or a very high-end HP or the like, you'll want the OPPO.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #645
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post

Today though it couldn't play my Dark Shadows Blu-ray which has always been fine on my PS3 and my old stand alone.

Thanks all.

Take care,

~LD
while i don't have a 103 (i have the 93) i would recommend that you do two things, one at a time. turn off bd-live (do not select limited, turn it off), then try the movie, if that works, fine. if that doesn't work try setting your hdmi audio to LPCM. in most instances, one of those two (sometimes both) things will give you a temporary work around.

in most instances it's a bd-live problem, on the rare occasion, it's an issue to do with bitstreaming the audio.

please let us know if either of these things helps as it will help others who might be having the same issue with that (or other) movie(s).
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #646
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post

Thanks all.

Take care,

~LD

I can relate!

I had the same problem with Warner's "Enter The Dragon" it popped the baby back out saying "wrong disc" It doesn't dig Bruce for some reason

Besides that one hick up this player is outstanding. The loading time is just seconds on every single disc and the sound through HDMI is fantastic too!
"I do want to thank you for offering me such a powerful piece of manpower as Virgil Tibbs"
(Chief Gillespie 'In The Heat Of The Night')
Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #647
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanester View Post
I can relate!

I had the same problem with Warner's "Enter The Dragon" it popped the baby back out saying "wrong disc" It doesn't dig Bruce for some reason

Besides that one hick up this player is outstanding. The loading time is just seconds on every single disc and the sound through HDMI is fantastic too!
Absolutely OUTSTANDING player. It's like....whoa....all over the place.

I'm going to try my copy of enter the dragon.

Fortunately, I have a PS3 so I can still watch everything.

I can't tell you how amazing it is to have a stand-alone that doesn't take 22 minutes to load up.

My old sony took 3 minutes just to open the tray. This thing gave me back my whole collection. I'm popping movies in and out like crazy

EDIT: Enter the Dragon works great on mine Must be different from player to player. Mine just hates Dark Shadows.

Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 12-28-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #648

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Is their a difference between BDP-103 & BDP-105 in matters of performance in PQ & SQ when connected via hdmi only?

I know this question has been ask a lot & I'm sorry for it,but I need to decide before I spend a 1000 on thing I won't need like :
-headphone amplifier.
-optical digital coaxial & asynchronous USB DAC.
-properly oriented XLR outputs.
what does these thing do ?
It's a stupid question,but really appreciate the help.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #649
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
Is their a difference between BDP-103 & BDP-105 in matters of performance in PQ & SQ when connected via hdmi only?

I know this question has been ask a lot & I'm sorry for it,but I need to decide before I spend a 1000 on thing I won't need like :
-headphone amplifier.
-optical digital coaxial & asynchronous USB DAC.
-properly oriented XLR outputs.
what does these thing do ?
It's a stupid question,but really appreciate the help.
Oppo doesn't have a specific comparison page yet.

For customers who use the HDMI, analog, and/or digital optical/coaxial audio connections, the standard BDP-103 is recommended.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-105 to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a high-end dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. As stated the BDP-105 also serves as a DAC for customers who specifically require that. The headphone amp is a additional feature of the BDP-105.

XLR stereo outputs are balanced audio connection used more with professional systems, although some consumer brands like Marantz offers them with their separates.

Last edited by JohnAV; 12-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #650
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Category: Latest Public Beta Release

Release date: December 28, 2012.
Main Version: BDP10X-38-1220B
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B0800 (BDP-103), 7B0800 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)
  1. Resolved an issue where some SACD media were being incorrectly played as a standard CD audio disc. Customers have reported that their BDP-105 players would load a SACD and the resulting audio would be standard CD audio disc as confirmed by the front panel showing "CDDA" rather than "SACD" as the "Disc Type". This issue has been resolved.
  2. Resolved an issue were the Roku Streaming Stick firmware would fail to upgrade correctly. Customers have reported that when the Roku Streaming Stick was connected to the HDMI/MHL IN port on the BDP-103/105, it could detect and download the new firmware but would not install it correctly. This would cause the Roku Streaming Stick to remain on the factory installed firmware. This issue has been resolved.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #651

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Oppo doesn't have a specific comparison page yet.

For customers who use the HDMI, analog, and/or digital optical/coaxial audio connections, the standard BDP-103 is recommended.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-105 to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a high-end dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. As stated the BDP-105 also serves as a DAC for customers who specifically require that. The headphone amp is a additional feature of the BDP-105.

XLR stereo outputs are balanced audio connection used more with professional systems, although some consumer brands like Marantz offers them with their separates.
What do you mean by a high-end dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system
stereo outputs are balanced audio connection used more with professional systems
And what befits I'll get from the XLR ?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #652
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
What do you mean by a high-end dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system
stereo outputs are balanced audio connection used more with professional systems
And what befits I'll get from the XLR ?
It becomes a question of having a premium audio pre-amp/amp with analog inputs driving high quality speakers so you can discern any appreciable audio benefits. Using something less capable will show a lack of dynamics, accuracy, very low distortion, and noise floor. Of course using bitstream via HDMI puts all of this on your pre-amp/amp DAC's, rather then paying for the superior DAC's in the BDP-105.

Balanced audio connections (XLR) are usually resistive to external interference/noise when using long runs.

Last edited by JohnAV; 12-29-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #653

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
It becomes a question of having a premium audio pre-amp/amp with analog inputs driving high quality speakers so you can discern any appreciable audio benefits. Using something less capable will show a lack of dynamics, accuracy, very low distortion, and noise floor. Of course using bitstream via HDMI puts all of this on your pre-amp/amp DAC's, rather then paying for the superior DAC's in the BDP-105.

Balanced audio connections (XLR) are usually resistive to external interference/noise when using long runs.
I have a 7.1 Denon AVR-2808,that handle's full HD and every thing in mind except 3D.
And I'm not planing on changing my AVR for the next 2 year's.
So should I go for 103 or 105,as I mentioned before every thing will be connected via HDMI only.
If the 105 will provide a better PQ &SQ then I'll go with it,but if their the same I guess saving on the extra cash is the best choise.
But if the 105 is superior in PQ & SQ and can actully inhanse them then I'll go with it.
So let me know what you think.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #654

Jun 2008
North Tonawanda NY

Quote:
I have a 7.1 Denon AVR-2808,that handle's full HD and every thing in mind except 3D.
So should I go for 103 or 105,as I mentioned before every thing will be connected via HDMI only.
If the 105 will provide a better PQ &SQ then I'll go with it,but if their the same I guess saving on the extra cash is the best choise.
But if the 105 is superior in PQ & SQ and can actully inhanse them then I'll go with it.
Personally I would just go for the 103 if you are using HDMI only.I felt there was an upgrade coming from a Sony bdp 1000ES even my wife noticed. The Oppos have an epic resale value so if you get the 103 and think that you just have to have the 105 you can sell the 103 for what you paid for it or a little less. Oh and if you buy direct from Oppo there is a 30 day return policy which you only risk shipping charges. I hope this helps.
LIVING ROOM:46" SAMSUNG LED,PIONEER ELITE SC-25
ENERGY RC-50's,ENERGY RC-LCR
ENERGY RC-10's,SVS PC12 PLUS
0PPO BDP-103D

BEDROOM: LG 42" 1080P,SONY BDP-BX57

Last edited by tang7969; 12-29-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #655

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Thanks guys for the previous replies.. . All I can say about my new oppo 103 is that I'm loving the fast loading speed, the picture and sound are amazing, and running my cable box through the HDMI inputs takes my every day tv watching to another level.. great BD player
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #656

Jun 2008
North Tonawanda NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Thanks guys for the previous replies.. . All I can say about my new oppo 103 is that I'm loving the fast loading speed, the picture and sound are amazing, and running my cable box through the HDMI inputs takes my every day tv watching to another level.. great BD player
Are you having any lip synch issues with it connected to your cable box? I have been wanting to do this with my Directv rcvr but I heard there may be lip Synch issues. I also can not wrap my head around how to set up my harmony 890 because of the player needs to be switch also. Any suggestions? Thanks.
LIVING ROOM:46" SAMSUNG LED,PIONEER ELITE SC-25
ENERGY RC-50's,ENERGY RC-LCR
ENERGY RC-10's,SVS PC12 PLUS
0PPO BDP-103D

BEDROOM: LG 42" 1080P,SONY BDP-BX57
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #657

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
Are you having any lip synch issues with it connected to your cable box? I have been wanting to do this with my Directv rcvr but I heard there may be lip Synch issues. I also can not wrap my head around how to set up my harmony 890 because of the player needs to be switch also. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Happily not, I'm not having any issues with my DVR cable box so far. I guess results are different pending on the equipment, brands and models.

And for the harmony remote is simple, just add the oppo 103 to the activity that involves your tv and direct tv rcvr and choose THE hdmi inputs of the oppo.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #658

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Wich is better for SQ,to connected via HDMI or via analogue output's?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #659
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
The BDP-103 will offer the same PQ as the 105. You already told us your preferences, and setup, so the 103 via HDMI is what is recommended.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #660
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Wich is better for SQ,to connected via HDMI or via analogue output's?
Given your using a AVR-2808, you will not benefit from analog, stick with HDMI as far as AQ.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders