COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Top iTunes Deals, Cheap iTunes Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: Season 3 (Blu-ray)$32.99 The Walking Dead: Season 4 (Blu-ray)$32.99 The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Blu-ray)$26.99 Arrow, Season 1 (Blu-ray)$39.99 Divergent (Blu-ray)$9.99 Homeland, Season 2 (Blu-ray)$19.99 Gravity (Blu-ray)$9.99 Homeland, Season 1 (Blu-ray)$19.99 Her (Blu-ray)$9.99 Homeland, Season 3 (Blu-ray)$24.99 American Hustle (Blu-ray)$9.99 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Blu-ray)$14.99 Under the Skin (Blu-ray)$9.99 Argo (Blu-ray)$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ
Default Because Blu-Ray will "obviously" be replaced rapidly by streaming only...

And some wonder why all streaming would be bad... Just another example.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...news&tag=title

Quote:
Netflix's video streaming service suffered a Christmas Eve outage on "many but not all devices" across the Americas, according to the company.
The outage continued into Christmas morning for some customers. The company tweeted on its Netflix US account at 8:45 a.m. PT today that the service was "back to normal streaming levels."
Netflix first started responding to tweets about disrupted service before 1 p.m. PT yesterday. About three hours later, Netflix offered an apology on its main Twitter account.
"We're sorry for the Christmas Eve outage. Terrible timing! Engineers are working on it now," Netflix said in a tweet in the late afternoon yesterday.
Netflix pinned the issue on Amazon Web Services servers and said it was working with Amazon engineers on a fix.
By evening, Netflix noted that the problem was not yet resolved and promised to tweet as soon as it was back up.
Netflix spokesman Joris Evers e-mailed a statement to CNET today about the outage, noting that "streaming was available again for the majority of our members late on Christmas Eve Pacific Time."
Netflix tagged the outage as starting around 12:30 p.m. PT. The number of devices affected by the outage was "initially limited but grew in scope" over the afternoon, Evers said.
Related stories

"We...apologize for any inconvenience caused last night," today's statement said. "We are investigating the cause and will do what we can to prevent reccurrence."
Not surprisingly, many angry customers poured out their wrath via social networking. However, Joel Braverman, developer program coordinator at Roku, looked at the bright side.
"Thanks to @netflix outage we can likely expect a moderate population explosion in nine months," he tweeted today.
Didn't even know it happened here (though we do have Netflix as an option), as we watched the Blu-Rays of A Christmas Story, Secret of the Wings, Charlie Brown Christmas and various Disney movies (oh, and the actually quite good Gift of the Nightfury).

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)

Last edited by Elandyll; 12-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Power Member

Dec 2011

My nephew and most of the younger people I know seem to have no use for collecting physical media due to streaming & such. Yet they come to me when their precious streaming hits the skids for entertainment LMAO!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

that is why I don't mind DL to own (when the quality becomes acceptable and HDD space cheap enough to hold a collection) but I will never buy into streaming. You have 0 control (the service is down, the service is too busy, the same fr the ISP/internet connection, or even the agreement between a service and the studio or even a service going out of business..

Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Kansas

When streaming gives me the quality that a blu-ray does I may consider using it.
Epson 5010 on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580
Sony PS3 and PS4
DirecTV HR24
Yamaha RX-V567
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Some cheap Yamaha's
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW315

Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

I actually switched over to Amazon Prime VOD on my 360 once this interrupted what I was going to watch for Christmas viewing. I forgot to bring up some of my Christmas DVD's and wanted to watch Christmas vacation while I was putting our son down for the night and the mrs. was wrapping gifts. While I enjoy BD's, but we try not to buy one's we aren't going to watch over and over again.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

Umm... yeah, like I want your inferior bit rates to replace my BDs.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Honestly guys this is no different than when your cable goes out as my wife pointed out.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Honestly guys this is no different than when your cable goes out as my wife pointed out.
Yes, it's similar to the scenario you mentioned about your cable going out although my cable is much more stable than the internet connection which is also provided by my cable provider. However, it's not similar to your physical media collection which can still be viewed even when the cable or internet is out. Unless your power goes out, and you don't have a backup power source, you can still view your movies unlike the scenario mentioned in the OP.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Jun 2009
michigan

the quality of streaming on a hdtv is horrible

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

It's worse than that. It is disgusting. Like stepping back in time.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I don't know about elsewhere but in Canada, until they can get control over the internet providers, bluray isn't being replaced by streaming anytime soon. All we hear up here is the excuse of things like netflix using up too much bandwidth but for only $xxx more per month, you can use it and it won't. if you are confused by that statement, think of us consumers who are paying for unlimited bandwidth and then hear that. they give you the option to use a lower resolution settings but that is like vhs quality. when people see that, they don't see streaming as an option because it looks like a huge step back.

I don't know if streaming is going to replace bluray or digital downloads will. right now they are kind of on the weak side but people don't want to spend 3 hours downloading a movie to get 1080 resolution and all the extras. i do see that as a real strong option. but bluray won't go away for a while yet. look how long bluray has been around and yet dvds are still being sold because there is a market for it. even with streaming and digital downloads, bluray is the best of the best when it comes to watching movies at home so it won't disappear anytime soon.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #12

Jan 2008
New Orleans, LA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by budious View Post
Umm... yeah, like I want your inferior bit rates to replace my BDs.
Amen!! Amen!! I enjoy streaming Brit-mysteries on Netflix and Amazon Prime video but pretty much stick to my blu-rays (AND dvds, yes!) for my movie entertainment. Quality is simply better 90% of the time with physical media.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Redbox machines can lose their power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie_mike2 View Post
the quality of streaming on a hdtv is horrible
Maybe for you it is, but for the masses it is acceptable. Most people do not want to own the movie, they just want to watch the film for a decent price.

Quote:
: While I enjoy BD's, but we try not to buy one's we aren't going to watch over and over again.
This is exactly the point I have made in other threads, BR as a medium is nice and all and serves a purpose, but there are too many times when a movie just makes no difference whether I see it in BR or standard def or even online.

For example, I just watched the movie Summer with Monika, I had the choice of either a brand new $33.99 dvd copy for the Criterion version or a $3.99 down load from iTunes. There is not one single compelling reason to seek the dvd for this movie, nor would it matter if it were in BR or not. I just wanted to see the movie badly for a reasonable cost.

On the flip side of this. The Dark Knight Rises is IMO a film that should be seen on a HDTV with a BR and full HD sound. Same thing with a movie like Lawrence of Arabia, Baraka, Patton, or the Sound of Music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
I don't know if streaming is going to replace bluray or digital downloads will. right now they are kind of on the weak side but people don't want to spend 3 hours downloading a movie to get 1080 resolution and all the extras. i do see that as a real strong option. but bluray won't go away for a while yet. look how long bluray has been around and yet dvds are still being sold because there is a market for it. even with streaming and digital downloads, bluray is the best of the best when it comes to watching movies at home so it won't disappear anytime soon.
Streaming will not replace BR. What streaming and downloading will do is replace renting of the physical form. People think that the RedBox kiosk is new, it is not, we have always had the option of renting from a machine, it just was not considered acceptable back in the early 90s with VHS. It is now because it is DIRT cheap.

For ownership of movies, BR will be the standard as the DVD only option will become more rarer. BR movies and home collecting will kinda of revert back to the old laserdisc days of more rare collectors and people who want to really purchase the medium. There is still a market for home collecting, it will just not be as large as it was on dvd.

Last edited by pagemaster; 12-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Mind you I have crappy Canadian Netflix but there a lot of films that can not be seen on Netflix. I wanted to see if they had Top Gun they didn't, as far as I know they change movies every few months, and they don't keep a backlog of movies, so if I wanted to watch Aliens and the didn't feature it that month I would be S.O.L.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685

Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Mind you I have crappy Canadian Netflix but there a lot of films that can not be seen on Netflix. I wanted to see if they had Top Gun they didn't, as far as I know they change movies every few months, and they don't keep a backlog of movies, so if I wanted to watch Aliens and the didn't feature it that month I would be S.O.L.
Netflix is the same thing as HBO, The Movie Network or Showtime. Just packaged a bit different.

Quote:
I wanted to see if they had Top Gun they didn't, .
Well, you probably will not find Top Gun at a RedBox or a supermarket machine...so not sure what your trying to say?

Last edited by pagemaster; 12-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better the US Netflix streaming service doesn't have Top Gun either.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
If it makes you feel any better the US Netflix streaming service doesn't have Top Gun either.
It can be rented at iTunes for $3.99 I doubt many Redbox outlets have it.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Yes, it's similar to the scenario you mentioned about your cable going out although my cable is much more stable than the internet connection which is also provided by my cable provider. However, it's not similar to your physical media collection which can still be viewed even when the cable or internet is out. Unless your power goes out, and you don't have a backup power source, you can still view your movies unlike the scenario mentioned in the OP.
Exactly, people can make as many excuses as they want, but there is a reason I buy movies and that is because I want to be able to watch what I want when I want.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #19

May 2008
Washington DC, USA
Wink I don't mind streaming movie, but I prefer physical copies for special features

As much as I find streaming convinient, to me it won't replace physcial media like blu-rays and DVDs, I still see those 2 physical media selling. Also not all movies are avaliable for streaming, I don't think you couldn't find a Japnese uncut version of Godzilla Raids Again on Netflix nor Youtube (becuase Toho would request Youtube to take that down), that movie is only avaliable on DVD. Not every movie on DVD and Blu-ray could be avaliable for streaming. Also I like the special features (making of/behind the scene, audio commentary, multiple dub tracks, and other)on blu-rays and DVDs, you won't find these on streaming. Also depend on your internet connection, if it's bad streaming can be slow or just bad quality. I doubt blu-rays and DVDs will be replaced by streaming. I don't like downloading movies because my computer are vulnerable to infections when it come to downloading.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
Expert Member

Sep 2009

I have a bunch of ultraviolet movies. I'm on Vudu and Netflix and I don't stream anything. If I get an Ultraviolet copy I redeem it, check it out to see if it works for a second then never look at it again. It's just not the same. Vudu looks nice, but sometimes it skips and the audio is nowhere near HD audio. Plus I love looking at my piles of blu-ray's. It's just cooler to own the actual disc than some computer file stored somewhere.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies