Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #521

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

It's been 40 yrs since my first 2CH setup and I can count on one hand the friends I've known who had even the slightest interest in audio. They all think I'm nuts and look at me in a daze when I tell them how many LP's I have, and that I still keep buying. Then again, I don't get some of their hobbies either.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #522
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Alex, congrats on getting the amp and pre-amp.

as for friends that have systems, my dad has a nice setup with a 60" SXRD, B&Ws, Sony ES and full audio throughout the house and outdoors. he used to install that stuff for clients. lately he mostly just watches nascar or whatever racing show. My older brother has a HT setup and 52" tv, his is a mix mash of def tech and klipsch and cerwin vega. one of my buddies has polk RTi's setup and was with me when I bought the X16s. One of the guys on here and I have got together before, but thats it.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #523
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Two quick crappy iphone images; will post more details later. Initial impressions are very very good

Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #524
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Nice!

Those look so much better than my XPA-1's, I wish those had been out when I was buying amps. Don't see much point in switching mine out though.

I think that the Dyn/Emo combo sounds pretty good, that's why I haven't been in any rush to change amps.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #525
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
Nice!

Those look so much better than my XPA-1's, I wish those had been out when I was buying amps. Don't see much point in switching mine out though.

I think that the Dyn/Emo combo sounds pretty good, that's why I haven't been in any rush to change amps.
I agree, they look so much better. They definitely rival the Pass I had in here in terms of looks, and the quality is far better than I was expecting. Here are my thoughts from the Emo thread...

Initially listening songs:
Pusicfer: Telling Ghosts
Deftones: Tempest
Stone Sour: Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero
Metric: Breathing Underwater
Slayer: Angel of Death
Metallica: No Leaf Clover
Metallica: One
Nils Lofgrin: Keith Don't Go
Slipknot: The Heretic Anthem
Machine Head: I am Hell
Linkin Park: Powerless

The first thing that was noticeable was the bass. It was better than my Octave and Rotel, and probably better than the Pass I had. The amps are extremely neutral. Having listened to the octave, and now these, I'd so the Octave was indeed warm, and the Emos are extremely neutral. They sound great. There's tons of detail without being bright. In my metal songs, everything remained coherent. There was definitely good separation between the instruments and vocals. I'd say for my preferences, I prefer the Emos to the Octave. They both have the 3d effect on good recordings, the bass is slightly better with the Emos, the emos look far cooler than the octave, and I prefer the more neutral presentation. I'd say I'm probably grasping though to substaniate the differences. It's definitely not a night/day thing between the two, just slightly different. From the Rotel that's currently in place, again, not a huge night and day difference to me. However, the Emos sound great and I really like them.

Some additional thoughts. The initial opening in One was the most detailed I've ever heard. In Keith Don't Go, the pick of the guitar was amazingly real. Finally, at lower volumes, the Dyns still sound really good, which was an issue with the Rotel. Lots of solid bass even at far lower volumes, which is really impressive.

The plan tomorrow is listen to some vinyl. My best recordings are on it, such as my 45s of The Black Album. Will listen to that, Muse's The Second Law, and Mumford's Babel tomorrow.

Last edited by Intamin; 12-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #526

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Wow! Those XPR-1's are sexy! Congrats Alex and thanks for your first impressions. A good amp (or a pair on your case) can give so much more definition and accuracy to a musical presentation. Very glad to hear you seem pleased with their interpretation of that music.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #527
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
I agree, they look so much better. They definitely rival the Pass I had in here in terms of looks, and the quality is far better than I was expecting. Here are my thoughts from the Emo thread...

Initially listening songs:
Pusicfer: Telling Ghosts
Deftones: Tempest
Stone Sour: Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero
Metric: Breathing Underwater
Slayer: Angel of Death
Metallica: No Leaf Clover
Metallica: One
Nils Lofgrin: Keith Don't Go
Slipknot: The Heretic Anthem
Machine Head: I am Hell
Linkin Park: Powerless

The first thing that was noticeable was the bass. It was better than my Octave and Rotel, and probably better than the Pass I had. The amps are extremely neutral. Having listened to the octave, and now these, I'd so the Octave was indeed warm, and the Emos are extremely neutral. They sound great. There's tons of detail without being bright. In my metal songs, everything remained coherent. There was definitely good separation between the instruments and vocals. I'd say for my preferences, I prefer the Emos to the Octave. They both have the 3d effect on good recordings, the bass is slightly better with the Emos, the emos look far cooler than the octave, and I prefer the more neutral presentation. I'd say I'm probably grasping though to substaniate the differences. It's definitely not a night/day thing between the two, just slightly different. From the Rotel that's currently in place, again, not a huge night and day difference to me. However, the Emos sound great and I really like them.

Some additional thoughts. The initial opening in One was the most detailed I've ever heard. In Keith Don't Go, the pick of the guitar was amazingly real. Finally, at lower volumes, the Dyns still sound really good, which was an issue with the Rotel. Lots of solid bass even at far lower volumes, which is really impressive.

The plan tomorrow is listen to some vinyl. My best recordings are on it, such as my 45s of The Black Album. Will listen to that, Muse's The Second Law, and Mumford's Babel tomorrow.
That's great news, I'm glad your enjoying them! Except for the fact that I now want to order some before the sale is over.

One thing that I've always thought was pretty cool is the meters at least give you an approximation of how much power/current your really using and with Dyn's that's quite a bit. It's seems like the more the better with Dyn's.

When is the pre amp expected to arrive?

Are the binding posts really far apart? That's one thing that I really don't like about the XPA-1's, the spread for the speaker cables on the amp end is either 14 or 16 inches. Kind of a PITA.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #528
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
That's great news, I'm glad your enjoying them! Except for the fact that I now want to order some before the sale is over.

One thing that I've always thought was pretty cool is the meters at least give you an approximation of how much power/current your really using and with Dyn's that's quite a bit. It's seems like the more the better with Dyn's.

When is the pre amp expected to arrive?

Are the binding posts really far apart? That's one thing that I really don't like about the XPA-1's, the spread for the speaker cables on the amp end is either 14 or 16 inches. Kind of a PITA.
I got a call a few hours ago from Emotiva that the XSP is sold out, but that they have B-Stock units and wanted to know if I wanted one. I'm getting it cheaper and think it'll ship tomorrow or Monday. Regarding the binding posts, they're about 4 inches apart, not nearly as wide as the XPA-1s. My meters really don't move at normal volumes. They get to about 2 or 3 lights. I really let it rip and got it to half way. Amazing how much power these have.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #529
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Wow! Those XPR-1's are sexy! Congrats Alex and thanks for your first impressions. A good amp (or a pair on your case) can give so much more definition and accuracy to a musical presentation. Very glad to hear you seem pleased with their interpretation of that music.
Thanks John! So far so good; it will be interesting to see how they sound after a few more days of listening to them and getting used to them. Fortunately, I've got Monday and Tuesday off so I can really get some good time in.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #530
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Wow Alex those look great man and defenately the best Emo has offered so far, i am sure they will sound great at the end of break in period.

Congrats man
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #531
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Upstate SC

Those look sweet and huge!
TV Sammy 58B550 Speakers Totem Forest and M1S center
Receiver Anthem MRX 500 DAC Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100
Amps-Emotiva XPA-3 W4S STI-500Subs-SVS PC12 Plus(w/Auralex SubDude)&PB12 Plus(w/Great Gramma)
BD Player/CD-Oppo 93 Power Conditioner-Belkin Pure AV PF30 Remote-Harmony One
Mac mini as music server
BDI Avion Noir 8937 A/V stand,ATS acoustic panels
Totem Tress speaker cable
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #532
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Congrats on your new amps Alex.

PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #533
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Hey Alex, not sure if you have any Dream Theater, or are into them at all, but two tracks that would be good to listen to using the new Emo amps are Pull Me Under and Another Day from Images and Words. Another Day has an Alto Sax that should come across very nicely on your Dyn's. Tool should sound good too, in particular Sober.
Cliff
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #534
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
I got a call a few hours ago from Emotiva that the XSP is sold out, but that they have B-Stock units and wanted to know if I wanted one. I'm getting it cheaper and think it'll ship tomorrow or Monday. Regarding the binding posts, they're about 4 inches apart, not nearly as wide as the XPA-1s. My meters really don't move at normal volumes. They get to about 2 or 3 lights. I really let it rip and got it to half way. Amazing how much power these have.
They seem to have trouble keeping the XSP in stock, so far it seems like Emo has a hit on their hands in the XSP. I wonder how many they actually bring in per shipment?

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the XSP as I would get one of those before the XPR amps.

Maybe now that you've got the power to do it you'll let them rip more often!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #535
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post
Hey Alex, not sure if you have any Dream Theater, or are into them at all, but two tracks that would be good to listen to using the new Emo amps are Pull Me Under and Another Day from Images and Words. Another Day has an Alto Sax that should come across very nicely on your Dyn's. Tool should sound good too, in particular Sober.
I have tons of tool, and was meaning to listen to Ticks and Leaches but didn't get around to it tonight. I'm a huge Maynard fan. I've only got a few dream theater songs. I've heard Pull Me Under, but never Another Day. Will have to check them out; it's one band I've always been meaning to listen to and then I forget all about them. Thanks for the suggestions!

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words I let the amps run the entire night, but only got to listen for about 1:30-2 hours or so. I'm not a believer in break in, but I figure if something is going to fail, it'll do it within the first 40 hours. I like to get that out of the way just to make sure there aren't any faults.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #536
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
I have tons of tool, and was meaning to listen to Ticks and Leaches but didn't get around to it tonight. I'm a huge Maynard fan. I've only got a few dream theater songs. I've heard Pull Me Under, but never Another Day. Will have to check them out; it's one band I've always been meaning to listen to and then I forget all about them. Thanks for the suggestions!

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words I let the amps run the entire night, but only got to listen for about 1:30-2 hours or so. I'm not a believer in break in, but I figure if something is going to fail, it'll do it within the first 40 hours. I like to get that out of the way just to make sure there aren't any faults.
emo gives you 30 days; you've got plenty of time!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #537
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Two quick crappy iphone images; will post more details later. Initial impressions are very very good

congrats alex. it looks nice.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #538
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Congrats on the amps. Interesting that you thought the Octave amps were warm. I found my v70 quite neutral compared to other amps I've owned.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #539
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Those are beauts, Alex. Gorgeous setup.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #540
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMF View Post
Congrats on the amps. Interesting that you thought the Octave amps were warm. I found my v70 quite neutral compared to other amps I've owned.
Congratulations on the new Emo Monos, Alexia! I hope you keep them this time.

Fartnut, the Octave V70SE better be warm, because it is a TUBE integrated amp! Plus he has stock tubes, which IMHO are a bit on the "bright" end of the spectrum.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries