Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
22 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Special Member

Jun 2012
Sweet home Alabama
Default How can I hide this ethernet cable?

Good morning everyone!

I'm writing to ask for some help. First, some background info.

My fiance and I are renting a 3 bedroom home in Alabama. Our internet router is in one bedroom, and I have our TV, Cable, PS3, and 360 all set up in our living room. Recently I've discovered that using wireless internet to play online gaming is not very reliable. Trying to play Call of Duty while your game freezes for a second at a time is very frustrating for myself, and the team I'm on.

So my solution, I bought a 50' ethernet cable. Because I'm renting this house, I can't exactly drill holes through the wall or run the cable through the attic and the ceiling, so that puts me at a predicament.

I'd like to run it from the bedroom, under the door, and along the trim on the floor, but I don't know what to use.

Can someone recommend some kind of adhesive, or tape, or...? Let me know what you would do, or what you think is the best way to handle this.

Thanks in advance for your time!

MODS: I apologize if this is the wrong area, please move it if it is necessary. Thanks

Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Get these cable management kits from Monoprice. They stick to the baseboard (or above it) and easily pull off (maybe even a bit too easily).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You could also simply staple them to the baseboard (or just above it) the same way a landline phone line cable or a cable TV wire would be stapled to the baseboard. I don't think the landlord would "punish" you for those small holes. Beside, you could just leave the cable when you leave.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Get a carpet
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

For property I was only renting I would simply use white tack and tack it all along the skirting board,it is cheap,effective and is easy to use and remove when you are moving on or small cable tacks that could be tapped into place.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.

Last edited by Villiam Hayes; 10-01-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Get these cable management kits from Monoprice. They stick to the baseboard (or above it) and easily pull off (maybe even a bit too easily).

You could also simply staple them to the baseboard (or just above it) the same way a landline phone line cable or a cable TV wire would be stapled to the baseboard. I don't think the landlord would "punish" you for those small holes. Beside, you could just leave the cable when you leave.
That's what I did and you barely notice it, you have to be looking for it to see it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2008

You could potentially also return the long ethernet cable and get a powerline ethernet solution instead. It might end up being a little more expensive, but you wouldn't have to worry about snaking an ethernet cable all over the apartment.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Dec 2009
Fort Sam Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post

Or just putty the holes up ... or do it right with faceplace and everything and it will be a good addition to the house.
Epson 6030ub
Silver Ticket Screens (16:9 120in)
Denon AVR1912
Energy CF-50 7.1
Samsung BD-F5900
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
You could potentially also return the long ethernet cable and get a powerline ethernet solution instead. It might end up being a little more expensive, but you wouldn't have to worry about snaking an ethernet cable all over the apartment.
kefrank speaks the truth.

This is the ONLY way to go. Well not the only, but the path of least resistance anyway. Give it some serious consideration.

Peace
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithform View Post
kefrank speaks the truth.

This is the ONLY way to go. Well not the only, but the path of least resistance anyway. Give it some serious consideration.

Peace

+1

I've never used them but its worth a look to research them.

Here are some to look at on Amazon
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio LSi9 || Center - PolkAudio LSiC || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor OWM3 || Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505 || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
+1

I've never used them but its worth a look to research them.

Here are some to look at on Amazon
For what it's worth, I've used this one with great success. The first one was provided by Dish Network, as it works with my Dish DVR automatically. I bought a second to have a hardwired ethernet connection for my PS3 in the basement home theater and it works great: no setup involved aside from plugging one in that's connected with ethernet wire to your router and plugging another one in with an ethernet wire going to your equipment.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)

Last edited by kefrank; 10-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #11

Aug 2009

.... and I've used the NetGear version of this technology for years with a great deal of success. It is fairly easy to setup and kicks the crap out of wireless.

I have both my AppleTV and PS3 connected this way. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out this technology. My wireless signal would never have reached the devices from my router and rewiring would have been cost prohibitive.

Keep us posted!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
+1 I use one right behind my equipment. Works flawlessly. Been using for years.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #13

Mar 2012
Canada

One possible solution I use is an ethernet to coax adapter - that's if you have coax connections where you need them.

Also, these more more expensive, and harder to find now. But these kick the pants off of wireless and powerline adapters.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
+1 I use one right behind my equipment. Works flawlessly. Been using for years.
I also agree with the powerline adapter. I use a Cisco one to get to my second floor. Works perfectly if you do not need super fast Gig-E speeds. I think I max out at about 20-40Mbps, which is fine for a Blu-ray player and desktop computer which rarely gets used.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Special Member

Nov 2008
Detroit, MI

The problem with Powerline units is that they need to be on the same circuit breaker for the bandwidth feed. So if you have a large house and different areas are on different breakers then these won't work for you.

Otherwise they are great.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA
Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc480 View Post
The problem with Powerline units is that they need to be on the same circuit breaker for the bandwidth feed. So if you have a large house and different areas are on different breakers then these won't work for you.

Ummmm . . . not sure that is an accurate statement. Mine are on completely different circuits and work without issue.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc480 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithform View Post
Ummmm . . . not sure that is an accurate statement. Mine are on completely different circuits and work without issue.
Mine too. Basement office is on one breaker. Second floor bedroom is on a second, different breaker. Everything works fine. No issues what so ever.

Not sure, but maybe a secondary panel may be an issue. Not sure about that.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction