COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #541
keb33509 keb33509 is offline
Special Member
 
keb33509's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
443
31
Default

Is anyone upset that the new Total Recall is not in 3D? After watching the trailer for it, I thought it had the perfect environment for it. I have never really felt disappointed about a movie not being in 3D, but this time I did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #542
norcal_tomtom707 norcal_tomtom707 is offline
New Member
 
norcal_tomtom707's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Kelseyville, CA.
1
24
Default Calibrating my Panasonic 65" Plasma 3D TV

Hey Everyone, I am new to this 3D stuff. I just updated my TV to a Panasonic 3D TV, It is a 65" Panasonic Plasma, Model #- TC-P65ST30, with a set of Panasonic 3D Shutter Glasses, Model #- TY-EW3D3M. I have already watch one 3D movie in 3D, (Pirates Of The Caribbean), and the movie was just OK, to me. Jsut didnt seem to 3Dish to me, some parts were. But, I read online that you can do certain calibrations or picture settings to your TV to make the 3D pop out even more. Does anybody know how to do that? I have my picture settings right now set to "VIVID" I was told to put in on Cinema, but the picture just seems way to dark when I do that.. Anybody know about this? Thanks so much. Tom
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #543
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:



Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #544
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Anyone?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #545
Dotpattern Dotpattern is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dotpattern's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Southern California
795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Hey everyone ,

Well, I have just ordered my LG Passive 3D TV, and I have got a very basic question (which may sound very stupid to some lol):

If I have a 3D movie, which is side-by-side , like this:



Can I view this movie as blurry in passive 3D (Anaglyph)?

I don't have the glasses for the active 3D types, just for the passive ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
I'm a little confused by the way you wrote this. You said you have a *passive* 3D TV, but say you don't have *active* 3D glasses, and then also refer to passive 3D followed up with "anaglyph".

Are you asking if the red/blue style glasses will work on side by side 3D? If so, no they won't. To view side by side, you will need the glasses that are compatible with your TV. If your TV is passive, you need passive glasses. If your TV is active, you'll need active glasses.
My featurette on Clive Barker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnIu9fHOUg
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #546
EricJ EricJ is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
EricJ's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotpattern View Post
I'm a little confused by the way you wrote this. You said you have a *passive* 3D TV, but say you don't have *active* 3D glasses, and then also refer to passive 3D followed up with "anaglyph".

Are you asking if the red/blue style glasses will work on side by side 3D? If so, no they won't.
In the words of Inigo Montoya, that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...
"Anaglyph", as you hear it mentioned around these parts, refers to those old red/blue color glasses from the 90's, and good danged riddance.

If you were looking for the word meaning "Passive" = "Cheap plastic polarized theater glasses", you MIGHT have a set that can convert Side-By-Side clips into the set's chosen 3DTV format...Check your instruction manual.
If so, and you have a smart YouTube connection that can search SBS clips onscreen, then, yes, if you dig up a SBS clip and your set can convert, it should be able to display them in a manner the glasses are accustomed to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #547
Dotpattern Dotpattern is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dotpattern's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Southern California
795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
"Anaglyph", as you hear it mentioned around these parts, refers to those old red/blue color glasses from the 90's, and good danged riddance.
Yes, that's what I said and then said those would not work on side by side.
My featurette on Clive Barker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnIu9fHOUg

Last edited by Dotpattern; 12-29-2012 at 02:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #548
Questioner Questioner is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2012
Default

Sorry if I have confused you guys:

Basically:
There r two types of 3d movies arent they? side by side and the blurry ones. If i get a movie that is side-by-side in 3d, is it possible to change the 3d mode on that movie to blurry?

so can any 3d film be shown in side-by-side and blurry?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #549
Paul H Paul H is offline
Power Member
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Sorry if I have confused you guys:

Basically:
There r two types of 3d movies arent they? side by side and the blurry ones. If i get a movie that is side-by-side in 3d, is it possible to change the 3d mode on that movie to blurry?

so can any 3d film be shown in side-by-side and blurry?
There are several types of formats that render 3D. 1080P High resolution for each eye, - 3D authored on Blu-ray discs use "frame-packing" (see the [PDF] of Stereoscopic 3D Video in the Home - SpectraCal or via Quick View ).

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 02-08-2013 at 10:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #550
Zak2000 Zak2000 is offline
Active Member
 
Zak2000's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Austria
140
51
7
Default

just a short question from a 3D-newbie:

Will the current 3D BDs still work in the near future when 4k screens and 3D TVs without required glasses comes out? Or is this perhaps a brandnew technology after all?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #551
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak2000 View Post
just a short question from a 3D-newbie:

Will the current 3D BDs still work in the near future when 4k screens and 3D TVs without required glasses comes out? Or is this perhaps a brandnew technology after all?

It's supposed to work, but 3-D was supposed to be totally compatible with 2-D, too. That didn't work out.


I expect a new standard is coming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #552
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
75
223
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak2000 View Post
just a short question from a 3D-newbie:

Will the current 3D BDs still work in the near future when 4k screens and 3D TVs without required glasses comes out? Or is this perhaps a brandnew technology after all?
They will work just fine. They are UHD tv's (not 4k) and we already now current 3d blu-rays work with them (as we currently can use them on uhd tv's). Glasses free will essentially use the same content and the display device is all that changes, so once again it shall work just fine, just like vhs still works fine on modern tv's etc. Put simply the left and right images remain the same no matter the screen size and display tech used (passive, active, glasses free etc) so as long as the player can feed those two distinct images the display device will certainly support it. The only new 3d format for home may be when/if we get some uhd discs. Which will nearly certainly still be frame packed just like current discs, just with a higher resolution (and hopefully higher bit depth etc).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Questioner View Post
Sorry if I have confused you guys:

Basically:
There r two types of 3d movies arent they? side by side and the blurry ones. If i get a movie that is side-by-side in 3d, is it possible to change the 3d mode on that movie to blurry?

so can any 3d film be shown in side-by-side and blurry?
As long as your tv supports side be side you shall be able to make the 3d image from it. I have yet to come across a 3d tv that can't do this. The frame packing on 3d blu-rays will look significantly better but it still will work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_tomtom707 View Post
Hey Everyone, I am new to this 3D stuff. I just updated my TV to a Panasonic 3D TV, It is a 65" Panasonic Plasma, Model #- TC-P65ST30, with a set of Panasonic 3D Shutter Glasses, Model #- TY-EW3D3M. I have already watch one 3D movie in 3D, (Pirates Of The Caribbean), and the movie was just OK, to me. Jsut didnt seem to 3Dish to me, some parts were. But, I read online that you can do certain calibrations or picture settings to your TV to make the 3D pop out even more. Does anybody know how to do that? I have my picture settings right now set to "VIVID" I was told to put in on Cinema, but the picture just seems way to dark when I do that.. Anybody know about this? Thanks so much. Tom
Simply put, that film just doesn't have a high level of depth. Some tv's allow you to move the images (which can increase and decrease the perceived level of depth) but I would strongly recommend against doing this as the film makers have composed the 3d image in such a way for a reason (to me changing this is like cropping a 2.35:1 film so it takes up your whole screen). If you want to see more depth check out the 3d blu-ray disc subforum and look for discs that are said to have stronger depth (some films use weak depth well, some use strong depth poorly simply more obvious 3d is not always better).

As a starting point I would check out Avatar, Pacific Rim and Hugo for medium to strong levels of depth. I would also check out Tron Legacy and Prometheus for example of films that utilize a lower level of depth supremely well.

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 07-27-2014 at 02:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.