Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Dec 2010
Default An Appeal to Studios concerning Packaging

To whom it may concern,

As a consumer who buys a lot of software. I would like to make an appeal to you the studios to please get rid of the "Digibook" packaging in favor of a normal more superior plastic case.
My issue is that the Digibooks although cheaper to produce do not adequately protect the software as much as a plastic case does plus if something happens to the digibook one has no choice but to buy yet again another digibook especially if there isn't an alternate edition of the particular title available. All studios could learn by the outstanding example provided by Criterion in their plastic cases for both dvd and blu-ray releases. They use in my opinion the best case available in most cases on the market.

Thank You!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Studios seem to charge more for Digibooks, so they're probably more profitable and they'll continue to make them because some people may prefer them, even collect them. For example, the recently released What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is $30 and only available in Digibook packaging -- I bought it, but would have preferred an ordinary case, with a price of $20 or less. Criterion has issued some Digibooks/packs, and that's fine with me, but I do think they ought to use ordinary Blu-ray cases -- they can be had in a thicker size, which is commonly used in the UK, if they need a thicker case for a booklet.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2012
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Studios seem to charge more for Digibooks, so they're probably more profitable and they'll continue to make them because some people may prefer them, even collect them. For example, the recently released What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is $30 and only available in Digibook packaging -- I bought it, but would have preferred an ordinary case, with a price of $20 or less. Criterion has issued some Digibooks/packs, and that's fine with me, but I do think they ought to use ordinary Blu-ray cases -- they can be had in a thicker size, which is commonly used in the UK, if they need a thicker case for a booklet.
This is slightly off topic, but are Digibooks common internationally? We tend not to get them in the UK. (I'm British)

Also, how come the UK uses thicker blu-ray packaging than in other countries?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
This is slightly off topic, but are Digibooks common internationally? We tend not to get them in the UK. (I'm British)

Also, how come the UK uses thicker blu-ray packaging than in other countries?
I have digibooks like Breakfast at Tiffany's, To Kill a Mockingbird and Pillow Talk from the UK -- they were 8 GBP apiece and are region free. I don't know why their Blu-ray cases are thicker, but they are 14-15 mm thick and non-eco cases, while the US cases are about 11 mm thick and usually the flimsy eco style. That has been my experience, so far, but Eureka does use a clear/cloudy case like Criterion uses -- not exactly the same. I have Arrow's Rififi from the UK and it uses a case similar to those used by Eureka; however, a lot of other movies from the UK are in the thicker Amaray Blu-ray case, like Bride of Frankenstein in a 15 mm Amaray case.

Edit: Breakfast at Tiffany's is in a 15 mm Amaray case and was less than 8 GBP.

Last edited by joie; 12-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
I have digibooks like Breakfast at Tiffany's, To Kill a Mockingbird and Pillow Talk from the UK -- they were 8 GBP apiece and are region free. I don't know why their Blu-ray cases are thicker, but they are 14-15 mm thick and non-eco cases, while the US cases are about 11 mm thick and usually the flimsy eco style. That has been my experience, so far, but Eureka does use a clear/cloudy case like Criterion uses -- not exactly the same. I have Arrow's Rififi from the UK and it uses a case similar to those used by Eureka; however, a lot of other movies from the UK are in the thicker Amaray Blu-ray case, like Bride of Frankenstein in a 15 mm Amaray case.

Edit: Breakfast at Tiffany's is in a 15 mm Amaray case.
I've only ever seen one British digibook, so I was under the impression they weren't that common.

I knew British packaging was thicker (most of my BDs are from the UK, but I have imported a couple from the States), I was just curious as to why they bothered giving the UK different thickness packaging?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

You guys got lucky with Sleeping Beauty (2011)! We didn't even get a release for it!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Digibooks are actually more expensive to produce and usually reserved for premium catalog releases. I like them quite a lot, but I can see why you prefer plastic cases.

I love what Criterion does. Plastic cases made of strong plastic(thought they also do digipaks which are basically digibooks without the books), high quality artwork printed on high quality paper, and a booklet with every film. But most studios use lower quality plastic cases and don't include booklets, so I actually prefer the digibooks.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
I know that waiting isn't preferable, but every Digibook release is eventually released in a regular keepcase. The reason they only use Digibooks first is likely because demand is initially low and whatever demand they have come from people who are big fans and might prefer more "fancy" packaging. Eventually the digibook packaging is too expensive to produce and they opt back to keepcases.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrowolf View Post
To whom it may concern,

As a consumer who buys a lot of software. I would like to make an appeal to you the studios to please get rid of the "Digibook" packaging in favor of a normal more superior plastic case.
My issue is that the Digibooks although cheaper to produce do not adequately protect the software as much as a plastic case does plus if something happens to the digibook one has no choice but to buy yet again another digibook especially if there isn't an alternate edition of the particular title available. All studios could learn by the outstanding example provided by Criterion in their plastic cases for both dvd and blu-ray releases. They use in my opinion the best case available in most cases on the market.

Thank You!
I disagree. I actually prefer Digibook packaging if done right. And Digibooks are not necessarily cheaper to produce, especially since many are custom designed. It's less expensive to print a one page color insert on thin paper and put it in a plastic box than it is to print on all sides of a multi-page Digibook or board box.

Even Criterion (and I do happen to like their plastic cases) uses cardboard or other non-traditional packaging for special releases: look at The Complete Monterey Pop, Seven Samuari, etc.

I'll agree that a board box is never going to hold up as well as a plastic box just as LP album packaging doesn't hold up as well as a CD jewel case, but most collectors will tell you they prefer the old LP album packaging (although the larger scale of the LP package is also an issue in that case).

As for protection of the BDs, I know there are lots of complaints on these forums about discs supposedly getting scratched by cardboard slots, but I've never had a single problem. It's not like you take out the same BD every day to watch it again. Besides, just because it's in a board box doesn't mean it can't have a plastic tray.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Digibooks are actually more expensive to produce and usually reserved for premium catalog releases. I like them quite a lot, but I can see why you prefer plastic cases.

I love what Criterion does. Plastic cases made of strong plastic(thought they also do digipaks which are basically digibooks without the books), high quality artwork printed on high quality paper, and a booklet with every film. But most studios use lower quality plastic cases and don't include booklets, so I actually prefer the digibooks.
That's what I love about Digibooks (that they're premium packaging). That's why I sold all of my regular Blu-ray releases for Stanley Kubrick's titles, and re-bought them in Digibook format (well, ACO and FMJ). If there is a Digibook anything, I will most likely get that version over a steelbook and a regular release. I can definitely see why Digibooks are premium.

As for Criterions, they have absolutely beautiful packaging, and their artwork isn't conventional- all of which is what makes The Criterion Collection appealing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software