Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Innocents (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #661

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Given your using a AVR-2808, you will not benefit from analog, stick with HDMI as far as AQ.
But some are telling me that the DAC in the BDP-105 can inhance the DAC in my AVR when connected via analoge.
And I want what dilever's the best AQ,I asking because I'm using a PS3 as a player,so I don't have much to compeare to.
If analoge is better for AQ then I think the BDP-105 is the best choice but if HDMI is better than I'll go with the BDP-103.

What do you think?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #662

Jun 2008
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
But some are telling me that the DAC in the BDP-105 can inhance the DAC in my AVR when connected via analoge.
And I want what dilever's the best AQ,I asking because I'm using a PS3 as a player,so I don't have much to compeare to.
If analoge is better for AQ then I think the BDP-105 is the best choice but if HDMI is better than I'll go with the BDP-103.

What do you think?

I just switched over from a PS3 to the BDP-103 and the difference in AQ was very apparent. You should try it out with HDMI first and if you're not satisfied then go the analog route. It crossed my mind to try it out too but after hearing the results over HDMI I'm more than satisfied with the A/V split connection!

This Oppo is truly a work of art! Worth every penny!!
"Nothing compliments a great movie more...
than great sound."
>Sharp Aquos LC-70C8470U 3D HDTV, Pioneer Elite SC-07 AVR, OPPO BDP-103, 500GB PS4, Cox Contour DVR
>7.3 setup: Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 fronts, HTD Level 2 surrounds and rears, 2x Atlantic Technology THX Certified 642eSB sub, 1x Atlantic Technology THX Certified 642SB sub
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #663

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkBoy View Post
I just switched over from a PS3 to the BDP-103 and the difference in AQ was very apparent. You should try it out with HDMI first and if you're not satisfied then go the analog route. It crossed my mind to try it out too but after hearing the results over HDMI I'm more than satisfied with the A/V split connection!

This Oppo is truly a work of art! Worth every penny!!
I don't have an oppo dealer in my country so trying is not an option.
I want what dilevers the best AQ but I don't want to spend the extra cash on something I won't use.
On another forum members are telling me the DAC on oppo is better than the one on my AVR so I'm guess the 103 will give me the same result's or better when connected via HDMI but the 105 will give me the same or better when connected via HDMI and if connected via analoge it will inhance the DAC in my AVR thus producing an excellent AQ.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #664

Jun 2012
Sun City, California

So here's the deal. My Samsung C6800 is starting to go "south". I'm gonna buy a new BD player. I friend of my here in Atlanta bought a OPPO 103 and is raving about it. He claims there is a noticeable improvement in the quality of the picture notwithstanding all the other perks that the 103 offers.
Without regard to price ($499) can anyone offer a single reason I shouldn't purchase the OPPO 103?
Projectors: 35mm Kinoton PK60D/Epson 5010
Lamphouse: Strong Super LumeX 2000 watt xenon
Processors: Dolby CP-650
Amps: QSC's, Smart and EV
Speakers: JBL 3678's L-C-R (3), JBL 4645C's 18" SUBS (2) JBL 8330's SURROUNDS (4)
Screen: Harkness 3D Silver, 11x5 feet, mini-perf
Monitor: Kelmar -MS-100
Oppo 103 BD Player
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #665
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
I don't have an oppo dealer in my country so trying is not an option.
I want what dilevers the best AQ but I don't want to spend the extra cash on something I won't use.
On another forum members are telling me the DAC on oppo is better than the one on my AVR so I'm guess the 103 will give me the same result's or better when connected via HDMI but the 105 will give me the same or better when connected via HDMI and if connected via analoge it will inhance the DAC in my AVR thus producing an excellent AQ.
Your getting pretty knowledgeable.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #666

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Your getting pretty knowledgeable.
A little help here,you advise is appreciated,and I'll take your opinion
What should I go for ?
And by knowledgeable I think you mean lost and confused

Last edited by oddmania; 12-30-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #667
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
What should I go for ?
I like both units 103/105. Honestly the BDP-103 would satisfy most people PQ and AQ because it offers 7.1 analog out.

Quote:
From CNET
The BDP-105, which now sports two ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, a newly designed Toroidal linear power supply, dedicated stereo outputs with both RCA and XLR balanced connections, and a headphone amplifier connected directly to the DAC. The Oppo BDP-105 can also be used as an external DAC with two HDMI inputs (rare on a DAC) and an asynchronous USB input as well. In addition, the cheaper BDP-103 also includes dual-HDMI inputs, and if you're looking to buy the new Roku Stick, or have a phone with Mobile High-definition Link (MHL) capability, you can connect it to the front-mounted HDMI port on both devices.
This decision of yours comes down to a check off of whats important and what's not along with your future plans for your home theater, so far most of your comments point to using a 103.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #668
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
What should I go for ?
I like both units 103/105. Honestly the BDP-103 would satisfy most people PQ and AQ because it offers 7.1 analog out.

Quote:
From CNET
The BDP-105, which now sports two ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, a newly designed Toroidal linear power supply, dedicated stereo outputs with both RCA and XLR balanced connections, and a headphone amplifier connected directly to the DAC. The Oppo BDP-105 can also be used as an external DAC with two HDMI inputs (rare on a DAC) and an asynchronous USB input as well. In addition, the cheaper BDP-103 also includes dual-HDMI inputs, and if you're looking to buy the new Roku Stick, or have a phone with Mobile High-definition Link (MHL) capability, you can connect it to the front-mounted HDMI port on both devices.
This decision of yours comes down to a check off of whats important and what's not along with your future plans for your home theater, so far most of your comments point to using a 103.

Perhaps a few others can cast their recommendations also.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #669

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:

Perhaps a few others can cast their recommendations also.
No one's giving ma a straight answer.
But I think I'll go with the 103.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #670
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
No one's giving ma a straight answer.
But I think I'll go with the 103.
I think you'll be happy
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #671
Expert Member

Mar 2011

I have a question about the 103's headphone amp: Does everything get downmixed to stereo? Will the remote's volume control control the volume heard in the headphones? Will the analog outs be able to be used separately, with multiple speakers? Is there a separate headphone output?

I have the 93 and use headphones with two of the analog outs wired to an external amp, and the remote's volume control works; however, if I remember correctly, something had to be set-up in the 93's config to do the downmix, to get everything on only two of the analog outs -- there is no separate headphone output.

Separate qustion about the 93's downmix: I also think that the '.1' -- LFE? -- may not get into the mix, as far as I can tell by using a test like Lionsgate's speaker connection/phasing test (on titles like Cabin in the Woods and Amelie). But, the frequency used by the test might be too low for me to hear, or the headphones won't reproduce it (?)

Last edited by joie; 12-30-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #672
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
I have a question about the 103's headphone amp: Does everything get downmixed to stereo? Will the remote's volume control control the volume heard in the headphones? Will the analog outs be able to be used separately, with multiple speakers? Is there a separate headphone output?

I have the 93 and use headphones with two of the analog outs wired to an external amp, and the remote's volume control works; however, if I remember correctly, something had to be set-up in the 93's config to do the downmix, to get everything on only two of the analog outs -- there is no separate headphone output.
The 103 doesn't provide a dedicated headphone amp, that is part of the 105 feature set. You can still utilize the FL and FR analog outputs with the proper downmix setting in Setup and multichannel audio sources will be mixed to stereo and sent to those outputs to a external amp as you are doing with your 93.

The Audio Processing menu on the BDP-105 includes settings for Headphone Volume (0-100), and the Stereo Signal (Down-mixed Stereo or Front Left/Right). The headphone volume is also controlled by the remote using the Volume "+" and "-" buttons when the headphones are plugged in.

The output level is digitally controlled through the remote using a digital volume control with access to the DAC's internal data path. Since the DAC's data word is large (32-bits), it behaves just like the analog attenuator until it reaches the noise floor of the analog components of the DAC, which is around -130dB.

When a set of headphones are plugged into the jack is that the audio through both the analog and digital outputs is muted. In addition, the audio level to the headphones ramps up from a lower level to the preset level rather than running full-tilt when the headphone plug is initially inserted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Separate qustion about the 93's downmix: I also think that the '.1' -- LFE? -- may not get into the mix, as far as I can tell by using a test like Lionsgate's speaker connection/phasing test (on titles like Cabin in the Woods and Amelie). But, the frequency used by the test might be too low for me to hear, or the headphones won't reproduce it (?)
The Oppo BDP-93 will direct LFE content to Left/Right Front speakers -- designated "Large" -- when the Sub is set to "OFF" in the multi-channel analog output Speaker Configuration settings.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #673
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
The 103 doesn't provide a dedicated headphone amp, that is part of the 105 feature set. You can still utilize the FL and FR analog outputs with the proper downmix setting in Setup and multichannel audio sources will be mixed to stereo and sent to those outputs to a external amp as you are doing with your 93.

The Audio Processing menu on the BDP-105 includes settings for Headphone Volume (0-100), and the Stereo Signal (Down-mixed Stereo or Front Left/Right). The headphone volume is also controlled by the remote using the Volume "+" and "-" buttons when the headphones are plugged in.

The output level is digitally controlled through the remote using a digital volume control with access to the DAC's internal data path. Since the DAC's data word is large (32-bits), it behaves just like the analog attenuator until it reaches the noise floor of the analog components of the DAC, which is around -130dB.

When a set of headphones are plugged into the jack is that the audio through both the analog and digital outputs is muted. In addition, the audio level to the headphones ramps up from a lower level to the preset level rather than running full-tilt when the headphone plug is initially inserted.

The Oppo BDP-93 will direct LFE content to Left/Right Front speakers -- designated "Large" -- when the Sub is set to "OFF" in the multi-channel analog output Speaker Configuration settings.
Thanks ... very helpful.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #674

Jun 2012
Sun City, California

I ordered my 103 from Amazon yesterday. Couldn't find anything cheaper than $499.
Projectors: 35mm Kinoton PK60D/Epson 5010
Lamphouse: Strong Super LumeX 2000 watt xenon
Processors: Dolby CP-650
Amps: QSC's, Smart and EV
Speakers: JBL 3678's L-C-R (3), JBL 4645C's 18" SUBS (2) JBL 8330's SURROUNDS (4)
Screen: Harkness 3D Silver, 11x5 feet, mini-perf
Monitor: Kelmar -MS-100
Oppo 103 BD Player
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #675

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Man Don View Post
I ordered my 103 from Amazon yesterday. Couldn't find anything cheaper than $499.
Congrats!

I ordered mine from Amazon as well. I replaced a year old Samsung 3D bluray player and let me tell you, the Oppo blew it out of the water with ease.

You will be very please with your purchase.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #676

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Any Idea where I can buy 103/105 multi region player that is modified with the pro kit from a good seller ?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #677
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Any Idea where I can buy 103/105 multi region player that is modified with the pro kit from a good seller ?
Its cheaper for you to choose the player and buy the bluraychip.dk mod, and have a friend help you, then go looking for a unknown (questionable) third party offering you a 103/105 with a jacked up price and no warranty associated with Oppo.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #678

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Its cheaper for you to choose the player and buy the bluraychip.dk mod, and have a friend help you, then go looking for a unknown (questionable) third party offering you a 103/105 with a jacked up price and no warranty associated with Oppo.
You right but then again who would help me install it,is it easy or hard to install the pro kit,what if something wrong happen's during the instillation and I don't think I have the heart to do that.
If someone on the forum who has installed the pro kit and could help me install it,then yes I would go for it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #679
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
You right but then again who would help me install it,is it easy or hard to install the pro kit,what if something wrong happen's during the instillation and I don't think I have the heart to do that.
If someone on the forum who has installed the pro kit and could help me install it,then yes I would go for it.
I heard there is an external hook up like there was for the 93. that is probaby the best way.

Jacob
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #680

Jun 2010
KUWAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubystone356 View Post
I heard there is an external hook up like there was for the 93. that is probaby the best way.

Jacob
I'll be saving 100$ if I installed it my self,right now I'm checking the instillation manual,would be more help if there was a video for it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders