Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tinker Bell (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #21
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderal View Post
Well, I am glad you asked this b/c i just checked the website. When you click on the TV you want click on Cardholder Offers and you can get up to 24 months at 0% on any TV for $599 & up using the Best Buy or Reward Zone credit card. I know I mentioned 36 months @ 0% and I have seen that in the past, but that is not the case right now. Check it and read their fine print.
what really interests me is i put the 51" in the cart...and it is 999 right now...bestbuy automatically put a 200$ gift card as a charge of 0.00 i wonder if some promotion is on right now where u spend so much get the card free?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #22
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Terry View Post
Go for the largest size you can afford. A 65 inch really doesn't take up all that much room. Mine is only 60 inches wide. I used to have a 55 inch and thought a 65 would be to big but I was mistaken, it is the perfect size for me and my room is only 10x17.
My room is 11x13 & the TV sits up against the 13' wall, so I'm only about 8.5' away from my (current) 50" DLP - but I plan to upgrade in the next 3-5 months (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
again with regards to the quality being bad if to close, unless im reading it wrong, isn't hte 6' or so i'll be at right where the prime benefit would be based on this picture?
[Show spoiler]
I'll be about 9' away when I upgrade to a 60-65" TV, but obviously I'd rather get the 65" if I can afford it (most 60" models are in the $999 range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron82 View Post
yeah it looks about 7.5ft to me as well... if you take your viewing distance in inches and divide that by 1.5 that will give you a good estimate of the max screen size...

[Show spoiler]I have a 55" lcd also and you can watch that a lot closer than the plasma, I'm not sure if its just a characteristic of plasmas but if you get too close it looks real bad and pixelated... the 51" looks like it will suit your room better but you still might want to go with the bigger tv if you plan on moving in the near future... my 55" lcd looked good in my old place but I moved a few months ago and the room is more open and dwarfed the set so that gave me a good reason to get a bigger set and retire the old one to the bedroom haha
If that inches divided by 1.5 rule applies, I could go up to a 70-72" TV, but I think 65" will be enough
** Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles in 11 Years!! (2002-2013) **

** R.I.P. - RICHIE HAYWARD - (2/6/46 - 8/12/10) **
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
50" Samsung DLP - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" Set-up - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's
Onkyo TX-SR706 - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: "GENIE"/HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
BLU-RAYS: 893
Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

@Aerodude73 im venturing out tomorrow to look at plasmas to see how the quality is on the 51 nad 60 inch sizes at the range i'll be at and lcoser just ot be safe...dont wanna get it and be to close and have it look like crap like others say they do. to bad the 999$ deal o nteh samsung 51" e7000 is over...i have the cash on hand ot get it, i guess i'll wait and put this on my student loan for now xD
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #24

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

My Panny 65 inch is 6 feet away from my head.It looks fantastic.It sits on my large centre speaker sitting on a small end table.
My point being that don't think you have to be as far away from the screen as some articles advise.Small end tables support a lot of weight.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
My Panny 65 inch is 6 feet away from my head.It looks fantastic.It sits on my large centre speaker sitting on a small end table.
My point being that don't think you have to be as far away from the screen as some articles advise.Small end tables support a lot of weight.
nice, that is re assuring due to my close promximity to the new tv when i get it..im heading out in a few minutes to look at some 51 and 60's...im gonna get closer than i would at home just to ensure it still would look good picture wise thanks for hte imput m8 !

EDIT: i just looked at your home theater pics...that looks a lot closer than 6 feet, seems like its 3 or 4 feet away. killer set up though

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 12-31-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
personal opinion? Go as large as you can afford, you won't regret. I sit 11' away from a 60" and wouldn't go smaller anymore.
Agreed! I sit approximately 10' away from a 60" TV and I've already decided to go bigger with my next purchase.

Consider this, I've heard people say they wish they'd bought a bigger TV. However I've NEVER heard someone say they wish they'd bought smaller.

Also, in terms of affordability I will always trade PQ for more screen size!! Bigger TV with somewhat less PQ >>>>> smaller TV with better PQ IMO.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that is extra scary to me because there is a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." -- Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #27

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
nice, that is re assuring due to my close promximity to the new tv when i get it..im heading out in a few minutes to look at some 51 and 60's...im gonna get closer than i would at home just to ensure it still would look good picture wise thanks for hte imput m8 !

EDIT: i just looked at your home theater pics...that looks a lot closer than 6 feet, seems like its 3 or 4 feet away. killer set up though
Yes it is a lot closer to the chair but when I recline it is almost exactly 6 feet to my head.It is about 20 inches to the front of the chair when the chair is in the upright position.And I totally agree that it is a killer system,thanks for saying so.
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Yes it is a lot closer to the chair but when I recline it is almost exactly 6 feet to my head.It is about 20 inches to the front of the chair when the chair is in the upright position.And I totally agree that it is a killer system,thanks for saying so.
Just to investigate today at target I saw a Samsung plasma but it was a low end 51 inch 720 p one... Up close it looked awful and had no detail with a obvious screen door effect. I went to best buy then and they had no Samsung plazas but I did look at a 1080p 60 inch ST50 . The pic quality next to a smaller led tv was stunning. This 1080 p Panasonic had no screen door effect and I stood closer than I did the Samsung one at target. Also with it being 1080p is was even more. Eyestalks clear than the led 1080 TV's. I wonder if the Samsung e7000 will be similar to the st50 because the Panasonic looked great and that low end Samsung had bad screen door effect. I guess now I'm deciding between Samsung e7000 and Panasonic st50 . Is the st50 one step below the ct50?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #29

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just to investigate today at target I saw a Samsung plasma but it was a low end 51 inch 720 p one... Up close it looked awful and had no detail with a obvious screen door effect. I went to best buy then and they had no Samsung plazas but I did look at a 1080p 60 inch ST50 . The pic quality next to a smaller led tv was stunning. This 1080 p Panasonic had no screen door effect and I stood closer than I did the Samsung one at target. Also with it being 1080p is was even more. Eyestalks clear than the led 1080 TV's. I wonder if the Samsung e7000 will be similar to the st50 because the Panasonic looked great and that low end Samsung had bad screen door effect. I guess now I'm deciding between Samsung e7000 and Panasonic st50 . Is the st50 one step below the ct50?
The only model I'm familiar with is the one I have but I can tell you I did have a 55 Samsung LCD for about a week and changed my mind about it and exchanged it for the 65 Panny Plasma I now have..
My old system was a 50 inch Samsung plasma which was also great but then I had enough money to get a whole new home theatre system and purchased what I have now.Got the 55 Sammy,had it for less than a week and then saw a review on the 65 Panny and decided to get it instead.The store I got it all from exchanged tv's without a hitch.

Was concerned about it being to big but it is not.It is the perfect size and I am very happy with it,glad I made the change.

Good luck,
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #30
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
The only model I'm familiar with is the one I have but I can tell you I did have a 55 Samsung LCD for about a week and changed my mind about it and exchanged it for the 65 Panny Plasma I now have..
My old system was a 50 inch Samsung plasma which was also great but then I had enough money to get a whole new home theatre system and purchased what I have now.Got the 55 Sammy,had it for less than a week and then saw a review on the 65 Panny and decided to get it instead.The store I got it all from exchanged tv's without a hitch.

Was concerned about it being to big but it is not.It is the perfect size and I am very happy with it,glad I made the change.

Good luck,
I really loved the panny st50 I may get that cuz I can't find any stores near me with the Sammy e7000
Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #31

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

If you have found one you really like then go for it but if you really want a larger one then do some more shopping until you find the size you want.

I went out of town to another city,had to get a ride there,to buy mine because I couldn't find the one I wanted here.

I paid extra for delivery and complete set-up even though I can set-up home theatre systems in my sleep.Just got tired of doing it and thought I'd let someone else do the set-up.

The 65 inch is only 5 inches wider on each end for a total of 10 inches wider than my old 50 inch Samsung plasma.
Enjoy the hunt,
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #32
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
If you have found one you really like then go for it but if you really want a larger one then do some more shopping until you find the size you want.

I went out of town to another city,had to get a ride there,to buy mine because I couldn't find the one I wanted here.

I paid extra for delivery and complete set-up even though I can set-up home theatre systems in my sleep.Just got tired of doing it and thought I'd let someone else do the set-up.

The 65 inch is only 5 inches wider on each end for a total of 10 inches wider than my old 50 inch Samsung plasma.
Enjoy the hunt,
i plan on phoning around wednesday to see if any store in our area has a e7000 60 inch samsung....if no one does, i may roll w/ the 60 inch panasonic st50. im watching wwe raw right now on my 40" lcd...the screen seems so tiny after todays browsing..and looking at plasma all day, it doesn't even look HD, its nothing but fuzzy blur :'(
Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #33

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Check this out and check out other episodes here,filled with useful information.
https://revision3.com/hdnation/samsung-e8000
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #34
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Check this out and check out other episodes here,filled with useful information.
https://revision3.com/hdnation/samsung-e8000
Thanks I've seen those guys on YouTube and never went to their site . I've been watching a few videos. Very hpful
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #35

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks I've seen those guys on YouTube and never went to their site . I've been watching a few videos. Very hpful
It was their review of the Panny that I now have that made me decide to get it.I have an RSS feed to their show and watch all new episodes.I pick up all kinds of useful info from them and the episodes are not very long,which is good.I also use YouTube for gathering helpful hints on home theatre.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #36
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
It was their review of the Panny that I now have that made me decide to get it.I have an RSS feed to their show and watch all new episodes.I pick up all kinds of useful info from them and the episodes are not very long,which is good.I also use YouTube for gathering helpful hints on home theatre.
yeah im for sure gonna keep up to date on their stuff, its really interesting. I am gonna call around ot best buys and figure out if any one of them near me has hte samsung plasma i was looking to possibly get...but right now that st-50 is a solid choice.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #37

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Yes,both Sammy and Panny are good choices,it really depends on the features you want,the extra HDMI connections,that sort of thing.Or maybe it just depends on the brand name available to you.
Part of the fun for me was the adventure involved in getting my system. Oh,I also paid cash on ordering the system at the store,so I had over 12K in my pocket.
Good luck and enjoy watching your Blu's.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

I bought a 55" Panny 3D plasma about a year or so ago and while it seemed HUGE at the time its starting to feel a bit small these days. There is no need for me to go bigger right now because my "mini-mancave" is too small for anything bigger but one day when I have the proper space I plan to go as BIG as I can.

I would recommend something 55" or bigger to be honest, IF its within your budget. When I said my 55" seemed small these days I didnt mean terribly small but it certainly has lost some of the "wow" factor in terms of size.

True enough, at the time I bought that TV I was thinking about getting the 65" Panny plasma. It was on sale for $1699.99 but I really wanted a 3D set and the one I have now was on sale as well for $1799.99 and it came with Avatar 3D and two pairs of glasses. So in the end 3D won out over size and I'm glad I made that decision...because I enjoy the 3D quite a bit
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
I bought a 55" Panny 3D plasma about a year or so ago and while it seemed HUGE at the time its starting to feel a bit small these days. There is no need for me to go bigger right now because my "mini-mancave" is too small for anything bigger but one day when I have the proper space I plan to go as BIG as I can.

I would recommend something 55" or bigger to be honest, IF its within your budget. When I said my 55" seemed small these days I didnt mean terribly small but it certainly has lost some of the "wow" factor in terms of size.

True enough, at the time I bought that TV I was thinking about getting the 65" Panny plasma. It was on sale for $1699.99 but I really wanted a 3D set and the one I have now was on sale as well for $1799.99 and it came with Avatar 3D and two pairs of glasses. So in the end 3D won out over size and I'm glad I made that decision...because I enjoy the 3D quite a bit
after seeing 60" in person, im not getting a 51 inch...its either gonna be that 60" samsung or the 55/60" panasonic. I think the screen will be massive, especially for a medium size room, but like you said, u will get used to itthen a year down the road i will want bigger. The good part about 60, that is the maximum size i can get until i wouldn't have good space to wall mount a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system. by getting 60 i would maximize my space and wouldn't have the thought "should of went bigger" a few months later
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #40
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

i see the GT50 plasma is on sale at bby for 1.9k compared to the 1.7k for hte st50.....is the GT a better idea, or is its added stuff not relaly justifed by 200 bucks? and does it have IR worse or is it no different than the st50 - i think i read sometimes different models will get worse IR.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs