COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Curtains (Blu-ray)
$17.47
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

View Poll Results: 2013: Your Audio Investment
0 - 1,000 17 26.98%
1,001 - 2,500 10 15.87%
2,501 - 5,000 12 19.05%
5,001 - 7,500 5 7.94%
7,501 - 10,000 2 3.17%
10,001 - 15,000 7 11.11%
15,001 - 20,000 2 3.17%
20,001 - 25,000 3 4.76%
25,001 - 50,000 2 3.17%
50,001 - 75,000 0 0%
75,001 - 100,000 2 3.17%
100,001 - 150,000 0 0%
150,001 + 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
I'm looking forward to voting on this one, but I'll hold off until nearer the end of the year. I have a couple of upgrades planned/hoped for, and it'll take me a while to save up the cash...

Thanks for making it a public poll, John!
Wow! Looks like there's a reason why your name is "Rich"!

You think the upgrades you have in mind will propel you beyond the 200k barrier?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
After a relatively mild (read: Didn't do a thing to the main system) in 2012, 2013 will have plenty of bang to it. Clicked in for 7.5 to 10, with the following upgrades in mind:

- New front three (Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 + center) in January
- New receiver/processor (Marantz 6007 main candidate) in February
- Custom acoustic panels (to resemble art from Kandinsky, Mondrian, and Picasso) for that big two-story wall I have that's currently blank in April, May
- New headphones (since, well, there's a, uh, lady entering the picture. Just in case. I was using my Senn HD201s the other day while she slept and I nearly watched on mute out of frustration.) in February
- New BDP source (Sony S790 - say, does this count? Since it's replacing my Pio DV48 as a SACD player?) in January
- Upgrade the (4) surrounds - later in the year, to SF on-walls or Martin Logan EM surrounds - in October, November

Say, I need to see what that Sean and Alex cost-of-living is like. Or maybe it's that dual income money that Alex has, . Why does it have so dang cold up North?! Anti-JJ weather.
I see the SF's are definitely the top candidates for LCR now, huh?

Fartley and Alexia just have sugar daddies, that's why they can afford all the gear they have!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

I see the SF's are definitely the top candidates for LCR now, huh?

Fartley and Alexia just have sugar daddies, that's why they can afford all the gear they have!
The sexy-ness factor did it for me. I'm still demoing them one right after the other this Monday to finalize, but the SFs would have to sound like poo to lose their place now.

Is THAT what it is?! No wonder. It all makes sense.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
The sexy-ness factor did it for me. I'm still demoing them one right after the other this Monday to finalize, but the SFs would have to sound like poo to lose their place now.

Is THAT what it is?! No wonder. It all makes sense.
Yep! They look like Black or White poo depending on what finish you pick!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Quote:
Yep! They look like Black or White poo depending on what finish you pick!
HEY HEY. That's Italian-designed, Chinese-manufactured poo you're talking about here.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
HEY HEY. That's Italian-designed, Chinese-manufactured poo you're talking about here.
Poo is poo... No matter where it was shat!

Ask Bluvette what he thought of the Veneres, we heard them last saturday at MAV.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #26

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Poo is poo... No matter where it was shat!

Ask Bluvette what he thought of the Veneres, we heard them last saturday at MAV.
Are you icks-naying the Veneres?
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic

Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #27

May 2011
Chicago, IL

This is the year for me. Just sold my older but very worth it Polk 70. With another kid coming this summer I am looking at small form and function (B&W PM1 + Nad Integrated).

Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Are you icks-naying the Veneres?
Maybe!!

Actually, they are VERY GOOD for the money. I guess the only reason why SF is able to sell that at $2,500/pair is because they are assembled in China otherwise, they'd be a whole lot more.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Wow! Looks like there's a reason why your name is "Rich"!

You think the upgrades you have in mind will propel you beyond the 200k barrier?!
Maybe one day, but not likely this year! Once I've finished this round of upgrades, then a $200K system would not be out of the question once the next round is done, probably in a few years' time, if I ever manage to save enough shekels!

Here're my current goals for this round of upgrades (the next year or two):
* New phono stage
* New line stage
* New power amps
* Acoustic room treatments
* New racks
* Several dedicated AC lines to my listening room
* Power cables to match my Frey interconnects and speaker cables

Candidates for the round after that include:
* New turntable and arm
* Equi=tech balanced power system
* New speakers
* New AC/interconnect/speaker cables

Will the madness ever end?!
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

My vinyl, tube, and electrostatic speaker stereo system.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Maybe one day, but not likely this year! Once I've finished this round of upgrades, then a $200K system would not be out of the question once the next round is done, probably in a few years' time, if I ever manage to save enough shekels!

Here're my current goals for this round of upgrades (the next year or two):
* New phono stage
* New line stage
* New power amps
* Acoustic room treatments
* New racks
* Several dedicated AC lines to my listening room
* Power cables to match my Frey interconnects and speaker cables

Candidates for the round after that include:
* New turntable and arm
* Equi=tech balanced power system
* New speakers
* New AC/interconnect/speaker cables

Will the madness ever end?!
What speakers are you looking to get?

Man! I am so glad that Vinyl and analog didn't really grow on me, Because I can never justify getting any other component that costs than my speakers. But that's just me...

What Nordost speaker cables and IC's do you have now? When I moved my 2-ch to the living room, I made it a point to add a dedicated 20amp circuit there prior to setting things up. And like you, I am looking to getting some acoustic treatments next, although the room sounds pretty good as it is already.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
What speakers are you looking to get?
I haven't given it a lot of thought, because replacing my Spires is quite a ways off. Something mid-range from Wilson Audio (up to, say, the Maxx 3) or Maggie 20.7s, or the bigger Focals. Maybe the Martin Logan CLX will be next (although I'll probably need to add a couple of subs too). I expect my next speakers to list for around $50K (I like to make BIG upgrades!).

Quote:
Man! I am so glad that Vinyl and analog didn't really grow on me, Because I can never justify getting any other component that costs than my speakers. But that's just me...
Digital can be almost as expensive as analogue!

Quote:
What Nordost speaker cables and IC's do you have now? When I moved my 2-ch to the living room, I made it a point to add a dedicated 20amp circuit there prior to setting things up. And like you, I am looking to getting some acoustic treatments next, although the room sounds pretty good as it is already.
Right now I use Nordost Frey interconnects and speaker cables. I want to add 10 dedicated 20A circuits to my audio room, fed by their own panel (which will eventually be replaced by the Equi=tech behemoth). 10 circuits may be a little excessive, but the incremental cost over adding just one or two circuits isn't that great, so what the hell?! And I actually have a use for all those circuits...

My room sounds pretty good also, but I know there's room(!) for improvement. Room treatments aren't as sexy as component upgrades, but are arguably just as important. I see a bunch of Real Traps stuff in my room in the future! There's some slap echo I'd like to tame, and a bit of bass boominess at certain frequencies and volume levels.
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

Last edited by richteer; 01-02-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
I haven't given it a lot of thought, because replacing my Spires is quite a ways off. Something mid-range from Wilson Audio (up to, say, the Maxx 3) or Maggie 20.7s, or the bigger Focals. Maybe the Martin Logan CLX will be next (although I'll probably need to add a couple of subs too). I expect my next speakers to list for around $50K (I like to make BIG upgrades!).

Digital can be almost as expensive as analogue!

Right now I use Nordost Frey interconnects and speaker cables. I want to add 10 dedicated 20A circuits to my audio room, fed by their own panel (which will eventually be replaced by the Equi=tech behemoth). 10 circuits may be a little excessive, but the incremental cost over adding just one or two circuits isn't that great, so what the hell?! And I actually have a use for all those circuits...

My room sounds pretty good also, but I know there's room(!) for improvement. Room treatments aren't as sexy as component upgrades, but are arguably just as important. I see a bunch of Real Traps stuff in my room in the future! There's some slap echo I'd like to tame, and a bit of bass boominess at certain frequencies and volume levels.
50k for speakers is mid-range to you?!! OTOH, you do have your own magazine and review audio gear so that's cool!

As far as digital is concerned, the tweaks and add ons aren't as critical IMO as those for analog but adding a music server and the like just opens a new dimention and funtionality to music listening as it is so easy to switch tracks on the fly.

The freys are cool! Do you have the version 2's? I had the frey inter connects and Speaker cables at my place for a bit. They are thicker a lot thicker than my heimdalls(about as thick as the valhallas mk1) and rightfully so as the dealer said the new freys are at the same level(as well as price) as the old valhallas! I'm going to stave off on posting the differences as I don't want to make this into a speaker wire thread!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #33

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Wow! You guys are talking some serious coinage here!

I've done well so far and I know upgrades are a part of the future, but I can't see myself spending that much, although if I had the money it would likely be another matter.

What turntable would you be considering Rich?

And Rhett...I agree with Rich that digital can get get just as expensive.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
50k for speakers is mid-range to you?!! OTOH, you do have your own magazine and review audio gear so that's cool!
Just to be clear, I was referring to the middle of Wilson's range, which go from ~$15K to ~$200K. $50K is an expensive speaker in anyone's mind, mine included!

Quote:
As far as digital is concerned, the tweaks and add ons aren't as critical IMO as those for analog but adding a music server and the like just opens a new dimention and funtionality to music listening as it is so easy to switch tracks on the fly.
That's true. I don't doubt that digital audio streamer is in my future, but I won't invest very heavily into it.

Quote:
The freys are cool! Do you have the version 2's? I had the frey inter connects and Speaker cables at my place for a bit. They are thicker a lot thicker than my heimdalls(about as thick as the valhallas mk1) and rightfully so as the dealer said the new freys are at the same level(as well as price) as the old valhallas! I'm going to stave off on posting the differences as I don't want to make this into a speaker wire thread!
Version 1 of the Frey here. I am intrigued by the Frey 2, but would rather sink my cable upgrade cash into an upgrade rather than a side grade (unless I could get a REALLY good trade-in on my version 1s...). If I stick with Nordost, Valhalla or Odin will probably be my next cable.
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
Wow! You guys are talking some serious coinage here!

I've done well so far and I know upgrades are a part of the future, but I can't see myself spending that much, although if I had the money it would likely be another matter.
One doesn't actually need money to dream (and to be honest, a lot of my wish list is probably just that!). :-) More realistically, I'd be happy if I could just make some of my planned upgrades this year (phono stage, racks, room treatments, and dedicated AC lines).

Quote:
What turntable would you be considering Rich?
There're a few I'd like to investigate, including the Walker Black Diamond III, SME Model 30/12, and the TechDAS Air Force One (I'm really looking forward to listening to that one in Gary's room at CES!).

As my Forsell gets older, I can't help but wonder how many more years it has left in it. I bought it new in 1995 (or thereabouts), and although there aren't many moving parts, there's the PSU and motor to consider, and spare parts aren't that easy to find!

Also, it's a 240V @ 50Hz model so I have to go through some shenanigans to make it spin at the correct speed. I'd like to dispense with that nonsense and have a native 110V @ 60Hz turntable!

If my Forsell bites the bullet before I'm ready (read: before I've saved up enough) I'll have to come down a notch or two in my aspirations, in which case I could see me being quite happy with (say) an SME Model 20/3 with a matching Series V tone arm. I had one of the latter many years ago and the build quality is exemplary! (One of the things I think is very important at this level is product and manufacturer longevity.)
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #36

Jun 2012

Quote:
One of the benefits of being in the A/V industry is being able to get industry pricing on many products. Usually it's a set % off of retail for a manufacturer's entire line.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Quote:
Maybe!!

Actually, they are VERY GOOD for the money. I guess the only reason why SF is able to sell that at $2,500/pair is because they are assembled in China otherwise, they'd be a whole lot more.
Yeah, there's a few SF owners up in arms over the whole thing, in my readings through the many HT forums out there.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #38
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:

Say, I need to see what that Sean and Alex cost-of-living is like. Or maybe it's that dual income money that Alex has, . Why does it have so dang cold up North?! Anti-JJ weather.
Two incomes, no kids, no college debt, and one of the lowest costs of living in the US means lots of toys

Rich, those are some serious planned upgrades!

Last edited by Intamin; 01-03-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:

And Rhett...I agree with Rich that digital can get get just as expensive.
Well... To a certain extent yes but it solely depends on the individual. I would personally never spend 20k on a CDP or server/streamer to better match price level of my speakers. But it is so much easier to get lost in the upgrade path for analog because there are so many ways to "dress" a turn table and the upgrade--- cartridge--tone arm---tone arm cables---plinth---plinth suspension if you have a suspended Tt, etc...the combos are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
One of the benefits of being in the A/V industry is being able to get industry pricing on many products. Usually it's a set % off of retail for a manufacturer's entire line.
You don't have to be un the audio business...you just got to know the right people

Quote:
Just to be clear, I was referring to the middle of Wilson's range, which go from ~$15K to ~$200K. $50K is an expensive speaker in anyone's mind, mine included!

That's true. I don't doubt that digital audio streamer is in my future, but I won't invest very heavily into it.

Version 1 of the Frey here. I am intrigued by the Frey 2, but would rather sink my cable upgrade cash into an upgrade rather than a side grade (unless I could get a REALLY good trade-in on my version 1s...). If I stick with Nordost, Valhalla or Odin will probably be my next cable.
A streamer is great! Seems there are more and more coming out. Are you going to CES, I bet there will be a slew of streamers/servers there!

I could never "get" the Wilson mystique. I heard the Audio Watt Pupps many moons ago and it sounded so disjointed. It was in a well treated room powered by Classe Mono Blocks and Separates. But to each his own I guess... There are plenty of speakers in the 20-50k range, each having their own strength and weaknesses. I do like the Magico Q5 and the Dynaudio Consequence UE but I know it's more than 50k and it requires an amp with a lot of balls to power them...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #40

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

The only thing I am doing this year is getting rid of my CD mega changer and SACD Player and replaceing it all with a Bryston BDP-2 and BDA-2 I should have them soon. Right now I am using the loner BDP-1 and BDA-1 to see how it works.

Oh yeah, I also replaced my Sony Blu-ray mega changers (the 7000ES) with an Oppo 103 because the mega changers jammed 2 times in less than 2 years. I got sick of taking them out of the rack, removing my movies and then sending it in to be fixed. My old pioneer doesn't play all the movies now a days. No more updates.

Last edited by dib2; 01-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion