Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
16 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
5 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
16 hrs ago
The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Boy in BKK View Post
They are waiting until the sequel hits the cinemas.
Just for the artwork?? Gheesh, I could understand the actual release, but when can we see the artwork?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #42
Expert Member

Jan 2012
England

I'm certainly hoping Play have another Paramount wave planned.

I'd like to see Barbarella, Grease, Raiders of the Lost Ark (not Indiana Jones and the...) Rosemary's Baby, Saturday Night Fever and Witness as steelbooks.

I wonder if they'll have an Iron Man 3 exclusive as they had Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Technically it's Disney even though it'll have the Paramount branding so it might end up as an HMV one (assuming they're still around next autumn).
Care Bear stare...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderheartbear View Post

I'd like to see Barbarella, Grease, Raiders of the Lost Ark (not Indiana Jones and the...) Rosemary's Baby, Saturday Night Fever and Witness as steelbooks.

I wonder if they'll have an Iron Man 3 exclusive as they had Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Technically it's Disney even though it'll have the Paramount branding so it might end up as an HMV one (assuming they're still around next autumn).
There will never be a Raiders of the Lost Ark without the "Indiana Jones and the..." prefix release ever again. Mark my words. In the studios eyes it has to be there for franchise consistency.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Expert Member

Jan 2012
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
There will never be a Raiders of the Lost Ark without the "Indiana Jones and the..." prefix release ever again. Mark my words. In the studios eyes it has to be there for franchise consistency.
I'm sure you're right but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I don't see why the J-card can't say IJatRotLA on it, but the steelbook underneath can just have the Raiders logo. Actually, I'd love to see one using alternate poster art with a font more screen accurate than the one they used to use.
Care Bear stare...

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #45

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
Cloud Atlas flopped so, although it's the sort of big, epic, visual sci-fi that would normally be a shoe-in for a steelbook I don't think Warners will go to any effort beyond a bog standard release for it.
It wouldnt be the first (or last) time a film that underperformed was released in a steelbook as a way of shifting a few more copies....
"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." ― George Lucas 1988

Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 34 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

I think a film that reallyyyy needs to be on a steelbook is HALLOWEEN (1978) But who knows when that will happen
- SELLING:Sin City ( UK Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook) (New Sealed) $30.00 Shipped!!!

( The Last Samurai ) There is life in every breath... That is, Bushido

Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #47

Aug 2012
London, UK

Gah, I need some announcements soon. I thought Play loved to ***** out their steelies.
Star Trek Steelbook - White Zavvi Exclusive for sale. PM me with any offers.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthesub View Post
It wouldnt be the first (or last) time a film that underperformed was released in a steelbook as a way of shifting a few more copies....
Exactly, Battleship flopped and that got an amazing steel. One of my favourites from last year
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Exactly, Battleship flopped and that got an amazing steel. One of my favourites from last year
SShhhhh, we are in the minority liking that film......

PSN: Goofy_Wookie

Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Staffordshite, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussun1 View Post
I'm sure they'll release loads more steels this year, they make so much money off them so they definitely will. A few I'd love off the top of my head:
Wanted
Dredd - don't think it will get a steel though as nothings been announced.
Commando
Terminator 3
Last Action Hero
Four Lions
The Mist
Leon
First Blood
The Ring
Never Back Down
The Simpsons Movie
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Bruce Almighty
YES to both bolded titles...please Play
PS - Wanted was released years back as a steelbook (assuming your talking about the Jolie/freeman one - THIS ONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimbo View Post
What browser are you using? The pictures don't show up at all on my mobile but work on firefox.
only 2 show up on my Firefox (and yes its up to date)
the rest of th spoiler tags are blank

Quote:

So far as I know, only The Avengers was to keep the Paramount branding after Disney buying Marvel, even though distribution/marketing was all Disney for the title, so Iron Man 3 should not have Paramount anywhere, just disney (so there's a chance that IF we get a steelbook, there will be a ball's up with the release in some sense)

I'll be gutted if we dont see (even a bodged) steelbook for IM3 - The Marvel Universe needs to remain metallic

Though I'd personally like to see Disney release more steel's in the UK along the lines of their first wave of steel (some of which still had slipcovers over the steels - ie Snow White, Sleeping Beauty), none of which had any blu banners or printed text on the rear either. We've only had 3 - Cars 2, Prince of Persia, POTC4, all of which have printed text on the rear and the latter 2 had triple and/or double play banners on the top front and looks quite horrid.
(Pre-)ordered/Shipped: Butterfly Effect SB / Clerks SB / Lucy SB / Sin City 2 SB / Tarzan SB
For Sale/Trade: The Little Mermaid US 2D/DVD w/3D slip / Snowpiercer Kimichi Full Slip Steelbook (spares/sealed) PM me with offers if interested
Wanted: Taiwan (or next best English audio) Noah 3D Steelbook

Last edited by yeslek; 01-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #51
Power Member

Jun 2012
Blackburn, UK
Send a message via MSN to Hussun1 Send a message via Skype™ to Hussun1

Yh, there are a few Wanted steels but they all either have rating logos, info printed on back or no inside art. Would love a play.com version.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Staffordshite, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussun1 View Post
Yh, there are a few Wanted steels but they all either have rating logos, info printed on back or no inside art. Would love a play.com version.
Considering the current version is still quite easy to come by, it's almost a guarantee play won't release one
(Pre-)ordered/Shipped: Butterfly Effect SB / Clerks SB / Lucy SB / Sin City 2 SB / Tarzan SB
For Sale/Trade: The Little Mermaid US 2D/DVD w/3D slip / Snowpiercer Kimichi Full Slip Steelbook (spares/sealed) PM me with offers if interested
Wanted: Taiwan (or next best English audio) Noah 3D Steelbook

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #53
Expert Member

Jan 2012
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeslek View Post
So far as I know, only The Avengers was to keep the Paramount branding after Disney buying Marvel, even though distribution/marketing was all Disney for the title, so Iron Man 3 should not have Paramount anywhere, just disney (so there's a chance that IF we get a steelbook, there will be a ball's up with the release in some sense)

I'll be gutted if we dont see (even a bodged) steelbook for IM3 - The Marvel Universe needs to remain metallic
Iron Man 3 will be the last MU movie to be released under the Paramount branding as part of the deal. All the posters so far have the Paramount logo and it'll no doubt be at the front of the movie with the Disney castle at the very end.

There's no way a title like IM3 won't get a steelbook. Disney will know how much it'll sell in one and as you say, the fact every other MU title has gotten one at least somewhere in the world speaks volumes. The UK, Europe and Australia will probably get the steelbook while the US and others will get the Viva case (or whatever The Avengers was) I guess.

Edited to add:

It seems the Viva case makers have been forced to stop production by Scanavo (in the US at least) so it'll be a steelbook or Amaray I guess.
Care Bear stare...

Last edited by tenderheartbear; 01-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Reading, England SteelBooks™77 Slipcovers:228

Quote:
Iron Man 3 will be the last MU movie to be released under the Paramount branding as part of the deal. All the posters so far have the Paramount logo and it'll no doubt be at the front of the movie with the Disney castle at the very end.

There's no way a title like IM3 won't get a steelbook. Disney will know how much it'll sell in one and as you say, the fact every other MU title has gotten one at least somewhere in the world speaks volumes. The UK, Europe and Australia will probably get the steelbook while the US and others will get the Viva case (or whatever The Avengers was) I guess.

Edited to add:

It seems the Viva case makers have been forced to stop production by Scanavo (in the US at least) so it'll be a steelbook or Amaray I guess.
u got a link to the info? im interested in knowing why they had to stop making vivas
Living room - Panasonic TX-P50ST50B TV, XBOX ONE, Xbox 360 S 250gb, PS3, Technika BRSS10 region free Blu ray player, Yamaha A-S500, Monitor Audio RX 2 & Wharfedale 10.6, Rega DAC, SKY HD

228 slipcovers, 77 steelbooks, 29 digibooks, 4 digipacks, 40 boxsets..........the rest amarays.

LOVING THE XBOX ONE!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
u got a link to the info? im interested in knowing why they had to stop making vivas

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...09&postcount=1
http://samsinthetic.imgur.com - The Finest Anime Collection

Studio Ghibli Collection (COMPLETE Gallery JULY 2014)

Panasonic 50" ST60 3D Plasma TV
Nikon D3200 DSLR
White Playstation 3 Super Slim Japan
LG 3D 325 Player

Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Reading, England SteelBooks™77 Slipcovers:228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
thanks for the info.

bad news for americans though, wonder if people like disney in the US who have been using the vivas will switch to steelbooks or will they just not bother and use amarays.
Living room - Panasonic TX-P50ST50B TV, XBOX ONE, Xbox 360 S 250gb, PS3, Technika BRSS10 region free Blu ray player, Yamaha A-S500, Monitor Audio RX 2 & Wharfedale 10.6, Rega DAC, SKY HD

228 slipcovers, 77 steelbooks, 29 digibooks, 4 digipacks, 40 boxsets..........the rest amarays.

LOVING THE XBOX ONE!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about a Life of Pi steelbook yet. Play have had some great Fox exclusives, and I'd pick up a steel of this if it was the 3D version, like Prometheus.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudzndrips View Post
There's not been many steelbook announcements from Play.com for 2013 other than the classic wave. Are they slipping or do you think they've decided to stop producing them?
what titles do you speak of
MY FAVORITE BD I OWN : A Trip To The Moon (STEELBOOK)

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 4-JUNE-2014 **

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #59
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
what titles do you speak of
I think he's talking about these:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208689

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about a Life of Pi steelbook yet. Play have had some great Fox exclusives, and I'd pick up a steel of this if it was the 3D version, like Prometheus.
Give it time - it's only been in cinemas for 18 days!

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks