Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2009
Default (Unofficial) Wireless Headphones Review Thread

I know this borders on blasphemy in this forum, but I didn't know where else to put this, and these headphones literally saved my marriage.

I recently got a pair of Sennheiser RS160's, and they are simply WONDERFUL. I can now plug them in to my Denon AVR at nite and listen to my BD's or play my games in all their glory...w/out waking the wife and kids!

Now, I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can say that these sound pretty damn good. No interference, hissing or dropouts whatsoever. SUPER easy to setup (basically plug n play), comfortable, light, rechargeable and the range (20 meters?) is excellent. It's gotten to the point where I actually prefer to watch/play with these on, b/c I pick up so much more of the subtleties in the audio than I do when the sound is pumping thru my 5.1 setup.

All in all, I can't say enuff good things about these. Admittedly, they're a bit steep (@ $200), but worth every penny IMHO. If ur looking for a set of cans to use at nite, and don't want to deal with messy wires all over the place, look no further. U won't be sorry...and ur wife/GF/SO/roomates will thank u.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by awongus View Post
I know this borders on blasphemy in this forum, but I didn't know where else to put this, and these headphones literally saved my marriage.

I recently got a pair of Sennheiser RS160's, and they are simply WONDERFUL. I can now plug them in to my Denon AVR at nite and listen to my BD's or play my games in all their glory...w/out waking the wife and kids!

Now, I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can say that these sound pretty damn good. No interference, hissing or dropouts whatsoever. SUPER easy to setup (basically plug n play), comfortable, light, rechargeable and the range (20 meters?) is excellent. It's gotten to the point where I actually prefer to watch/play with these on, b/c I pick up so much more of the subtleties in the audio than I do when the sound is pumping thru my 5.1 setup.

All in all, I can't say enuff good things about these. Admittedly, they're a bit steep (@ $200), but worth every penny IMHO. If ur looking for a set of cans to use at nite, and don't want to deal with messy wires all over the place, look no further. U won't be sorry...and ur wife/GF/SO/roomates will thank u.
It is not blashphemy to talk about wireless headphones. However, this is the wrong place to start a thread about them. Headphones are discussed in a different section. I will move your thread there.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/portable-audio/
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

I wrote a review of the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones awhile back...

Here is a link to my short review:

Best Wireless Headphones! RS180 Review
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

My Criterion Collection
Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

I use a pair of Sennheiser RS120's, definitely great for watching TV at night when the wife is asleep...now if I could only convince her to wear them when I want to sleep!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

So is $200 the best price on these? I really need to get something in my house to put over my ears when trying to watch a movie. Unlike my wife and son, I'm a bit of a night owl. So I'd like a nice, wireless head set. I've almost bought those cheapy one's that they advertise on tv, but I'm sure those are a headache if anything.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #6

Dec 2012
N.E. Tennessee

I am looking around and pricing something surround sound and wireless. I thank my 4 year old daughter for wanting these when it is time to relax...lol.
Give people 90 days. They say it's the same as cash.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

SENNHEISER RS-170 Review

I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser RS-170 wireless headphones after researching for a while now. My final choice was going to be either these or the Japanese import Sony MDR-DS7100, 7500, or 6500 headphones. After reading tons of positive and negative online reviews of all four headphones, my gut instinct told me to just get the Sennheiser ones even though they don't seem as fancy as the Sony ones that were created to process all those audio options such as DTS-HD 7.1. I bet those Sony ones are good too, but these Sennheiser headphones are pretty awesome. I used to have Sony wireless headphones that processed Dolby Digital and DTS sound (I forgot what they were called but they are about 4 years old) - these headphones were overall satisfying even with the occasional hissing, crackling and interference, but the Sennheiser RS-170 headphones are so much better.

Simply plugged into the headphone jack on my Sony HDTV, the Sennheiser RS-170 headphones provide impressive sound. I tested the sound with a bunch of Blu-rays:
1. Tron Legacy: most of the Daft Punk song scenes; Sam entering the grid world scene; the Frisbee battle scene
2. Matrix Reloaded: Neo vs Seraph scene; the highway chase scene
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: the final battle with the elephants; Witch King fight scene
4. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom: the dinner scene; the rollercoaster mine car scene

The features on these headphones have a Surround option and a Bass option. So long story short after testing all the combinations (Surround on/Bass on; Surround off/Bass off; Surround off/Bass on; etc.) with the volume tweaked to your preference, the setting that I stuck with to have the best overall combination of an amazing surround sound/bass headphone experience was "Surround on/Bass off." While I did like the bass during action scenes if no one is speaking, the bass is a bit overpowering mainly if characters speak during those action scenes - the bass will make it seem that the dialogue is at a lower volume. So with the volume turned further up and the Bass option turned off, everything is more balanced - amazing surround sound in my head (left, right, behind me, far, close, tons of depth), decent bass, and totally clear dialogue. All the Blu-rays I tested sounded excellent with Return of the King, for some reason, being the one I had to tweak the most. Horse galloping, elephant stomping, and the Witch King's morning star all seemed a bit muffled with the Bass option turned off. Tron Legacy and Matrix Reloaded sounded amazing with the "Surround on/Bass off" option. And an older movie like Temple of Doom sounded pretty good too - testing the quiet and loud scenes - all sounding great.

No hissing, crackling or anything negative sounding (so far). The design of the buttons are not a big deal as all the other reviews complain - the hard-to-find buttons are certainly not a deal breaker. These headphones are light and super comfortable - even with wearing glasses.

I would give these headphones 5 out of 5, but I basically take off half a point for the Bass option that overpowers dialogue when there is dialogue spoken. If there is no dialogue during the action scene, then the Bass option does sound pretty good. These are definitely the best headphones I've ever tried with great surround effect, super comfort, and no audio interference!

4.5/5
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio