Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York
Default What will we see in 2013?

Anyone care to speculate on what we'll see in 2013 from the receiver/pre-pro manufacturers?

Anything truly new or better? Or the usual minor functional changes just so they can market that they have a new model?

Personally, I'd like to see:
- receivers that once again place an emphasis on music quality. Many manufacturers claim this, but I haven't heard it.
- LED displays in receivers, which in addition to being able to use color, layout and fonts to better define what the receiver is doing, could be easily updatable for new functionality.
- better overall UI, clearer definition of controls and configuration
- perhaps more modularity
- better power supplies
- 3rd octave EQ
- pass-thru video option even when the receiver is active

What I think we're going to get:
- More receivers with 4K pass-thru
- More elimination of legacy inputs/outputs
- Better integration of portable devices
- More web content that we don't need or want
- Not much else.

Of course, there's a difference between what we'd like to see and what the manufacturers will give us. Feel free to comment on either.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Apr 2010

Good idea for a thread.

Anywho, I agree. We're going to keep getting more and more junk features (NFC, really?) that detract from a quality audio experience.

What I'd like to see:

0) Bigger amps!
1) NO MORE *&^%$ spring clips.
2) Better faceplate designs (Halllooo Denon, your 2012 design looked CHEAP).
3) Here's a crazy thought. Show me a quality receiver that uses an Apple IOS interface. That way, I have options. I can install WHATEVER SERVICES I WANT. Don't wan't Spotify? don't install it! Right now, it's called using an iPod dock with an older Onkyo 608, but integration is a pain. Someone can come up with a butt-kicking, elegant and clean design that packs a punch.

/rant off
Panasonic TC-P50S30 Plasma . Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-ray player . Roku 3
Pioneer SP-C22 center, SP-FS52 towers, SP-BS22 rears . Energy S10.3 subwoofer . Tivo Premiere, 2TB
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Northern Illinois
Default New Receivers for 2013

More emphasis on music and sound quality rather than video processing, 3D, and all the bells and whistles that I never use. More power is always a good thing too!
Mitsubishi 57 inch DLP
Pioneer VSX 1120-K
Energy CF50
Energy CC10
Elemental Designs A2 300
Sony PS3 Slim 160 GB
Nintendo Wii
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #4

Mar 2010

better design, better design and better design.
I think so far only Harman Kardon is bringing some sleaaaak design to the table.. I like Marantz too but waay too expensive (the higher end models...) I have NR 1403 and it's alrite..

I keep reading about Denon and Onkyo so it would've been nice to consider
them but design kills me... ugly as hell... and please sell some different colours other than black.

I'm more of a cinephile than audiophile with limited budget plus likes clean and nice looking things.. haha I was in the market for decent receiver with entry level budget with good design and ended up wtih Marantz nr 1403.. so I would like to see better designed items in the future.. and also wifi technology have been around for a long long time now, don't add that to higher end models and act like it's brand new technology.. integrate some of these useful stuff faster...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Feb 2012
Plano, TX
Default Great post!

Thanks ZoetMB! Couldn't have said it better.
There are never failures, only challenges.

My newest addition: Sony BDP-s790 BluRay 3D 4K Player
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Good post. I agree on the sound quality comment, but what I'd like to see go away once and for all is the secondary surround "modes". I'm not talking about DTS & Dolby matrixing, but rather the "Cinema", "Arena", "Sports", etc. sound effects that are never used and do nothing more than further confuse an already complicated device. If we want more people adopting A/V the manufacturers need to keep it simple.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Apr 2010

[QUOTE=daysgoby;6922379]better design, better design and better design.
I think so far only Harman Kardon is bringing some sleaaaak design to the table.. I like Marantz too but waay too expensive (the higher end models...) I have NR 1403 and it's alrite..

them but design kills me... ugly as hell... and please sell some different colours other than black.

/QUOTE]

Love the look on the new HK AVR-1700 as well, but that's about it. Documentation on it is piss-poor, call in sales AND tech support is atrocious, and it suffers from a few bad design choices (no HDMI pass thru, its vtuner implementation forces you to log in to its web site to select your stations, among others).

Good to know I am not alone in complaining about some of the butt-ugly designs out there..

Onkyo has released color variants for some of its overseas models in the past. I've seen titanium, gold, and metallic champagne.
Panasonic TC-P50S30 Plasma . Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-ray player . Roku 3
Pioneer SP-C22 center, SP-FS52 towers, SP-BS22 rears . Energy S10.3 subwoofer . Tivo Premiere, 2TB
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoby View Post
better design, better design and better design.

I'm more of a cinephile than audiophile with limited budget plus likes clean and nice looking things.. haha I was in the market for decent receiver with entry level budget with good design and ended up wtih Marantz nr 1403.. so I would like to see better designed items in the future.. and also wifi technology have been around for a long long time now, don't add that to higher end models and act like it's brand new technology.. integrate some of these useful stuff faster...
WiFi is still drastically changing though, we're looking at 802.11ac starting to roll into consumer households with a fairly nice throughput that's competitive with gigabit ethernet. And then there's 802.11ad/WiGig which is making good progress and itself looks to be a fairly useful technology directly for the receivers.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

I agree with all of the posts on here so far.

I think if pioneer would get audysseys xt32 with subeq ht, they would gain a ton of market share. It would have the combination of a good looking receiver with excellent calibration (mcaac is antiquated) IMHO
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
Sarasota, FL

More emphasis on 2 channel sound and better quality build, everything looks so cheaply made these days
Talon884
Sarasota, FL.

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing"
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

I would like to see receivers with Audyssey XT32/SUB EQ HT for under $600.
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #12

Mar 2010

different colors only available for overseas models doesn't help when I'm stuck in N.American market..

All I know about wifi is that they are putting them in small digital cameras now.. would be nice if manufacturers start putting them in the receiver line ups and not just the hi end models. Same goes for USB connection. (for ipod,ipad etc etc..)

guess in the end what i would like to see are better designs, more choices in terms of color and faster implementations of some really basic stuffs like wifi and usb even in the entry level products..
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Good post. I agree on the sound quality comment, but what I'd like to see go away once and for all is the secondary surround "modes". I'm not talking about DTS & Dolby matrixing, but rather the "Cinema", "Arena", "Sports", etc. sound effects that are never used and do nothing more than further confuse an already complicated device. If we want more people adopting A/V the manufacturers need to keep it simple.
I agree. I personally almost never use those modes. One of the problems with those modes is that there's not a clear understanding of what they actually mean. And many of them really sound terrible. I also think their inclusion is inconsistent because at the same time the manufacturers are eliminating legacy connections, they still keep these modes. If they're pushing everyone to only use HDMI and you get DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD from Blu-ray or Dolby Digital from TV, then why would anyone use these modes at all, except to spread 5.1 to 7.1 or 9.1? And that could be a simple control. Some of these controls seem to do the opposite of how they're described.

There are other modes my receiver has like Automatic Surround and Optimal Surround and I can't really figure out what those are doing either - they're not well documented. It seems to me that if the receiver is automatically picking out some surround mode, it should tell you which one it picked and let you override the selection. And what the hell is Optimal Surround? And I'm an ex-recording engineer. I can only imagine what the average non-technical person thinks when confronted with all these modes. IMO, this is one of the reasons why receivers don't sell well and people stick with their TV audio or perhaps with a soundbar.

But if the makers think those modes are important, I don't mind if they keep them, but I think there are far better ways of integrating them into the UI to make them more understandable.

Also, I think the receiver manufacturers need to have better subwoofer controls. In my receiver, if you're not listening to 5.1 material, I don't believe you can make use of the subwoofer. I'd like to make use of the subwoofer even when I'm listening to 2-channel analog audio. Certainly it can't be that big a deal to send <80Hz (or whatever) signals to the subwoofer regardless of the source.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
"a lot" not "alot"

Last edited by ZoetMB; 01-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #14

Jul 2010

When are the new models usually announced?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
When are the new models usually announced?
Some should be announced this coming week at the Consumer Electronics Show, but others won't be announced until later in the year. Even though most manufacturers still attend and attendance seems to rise every year, the CES show is less important than it used to be because the original primary purpose of the show was to demonstrate new models to independent retailers. Since they largely don't exist anymore (except perhaps for esoteric audio), the manufacturers don't necessarily show everything at the show and many keep a few surprises in reserve for announcement later in the year when there's less "clutter".
"a lot" not "alot"

Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

I want to see Onkyo and Denon offer receivers with four subwoofer outputs.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with Sub EQ HT providing individual control of the four subs,
then creating filters for each sub separately.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #17

Feb 2011
Ontario, Canada

Anything from Anthem??
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post

Also, I think the receiver manufacturers need to have better subwoofer controls. In my receiver, if you're not listening to 5.1 material, I don't believe you can make use of the subwoofer. I'd like to make use of the subwoofer even when I'm listening to 2-channel analog audio. Certainly it can't be that big a deal to send <80Hz (or whatever) signals to the subwoofer regardless of the source.
That would be a very handy feature. It would also be nice to have the option of playing a mono track through your front speakers.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers