Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

May 2009
Default Why UV?

Remember when getting a Digital Copy of your movie was a simple task? With UV you need to register with UV, And several other entities. I stopped at Flixter. Tired of giving too many companies my info. Result? No Digital Copies for me. Seems like a way to glean info to use or sell. Just give me the old simple download. Not likely to happen. People love complicated procedures.

Take your UV and shove it! 😡

From my iPad
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

The only info I'm giving out is my email address

It's a pain at first since there's a few different sites/apps, but once you redeem a few, I guess you get the hang of it. I bought the movie on BD so I intend to get my money out of it by redeeming the UV code and iTunes code.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

I'm usually not a fan of micro modding, but there's already a thread *****ing about UV. Remember, when it doubt, use the search engine.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Ultraviolet is really about the studios attempting to wrest control of the digital video market from iTunes/Apple. The music labels lost the digital music market to Apple through iTunes, and the Hollywood studios do not want to repeat the same mistake.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

iTunes is way too closed in. I think all movies should just make the codes work for either UV or iTunes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Sep 2008
United States

I used to hate UV and prefered itunes dc. Now I probably see UV being worth more. First my hard drive is getting full. Also I can watch UV on my PS3 in HD without the need to download. Im also taking advantage of cheap and free ultraviolet codes here. UVs are being sold for under $5, that's way less than renting hd movies.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Nov 2012
USA -> maryland
Send a message via Skype™ to RandomNinjaAtk

UV is far superior, except for the occasional speed bumps it has and the not so user-friendly initial setup.
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Media Section
-
-

It's a pain to set-up initially because of the number of accounts involved but easy after that.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #9

Oct 2008

I was never a fan of streaming services or digital distribution, as I don't like the idea that I don't OWN the media I purchased. For streaming/digital distribution, you bought a license to access/use the media, but that license can be taken away. If you download it, you may be able to keep it longer (or indefinitely), but then you need to back it up, etc to prevent it from getting lost ... and even then you still may not be able to share it with family and friends.

Coming from PC gaming, the first digital distribution that was forced upon me was Steam. Over time, I have warmed to Steam, especially with sales over the past few years that have allowed me to purchase games for much cheaper than I could have ever gotten them on physical media.

I started buying Blu-rays close to 6 years ago, having a rather large collection now, and I just started redeeming digital copies in November.

I love Ultraviolet. I can watch high quality movies on just about any device or computer I own (none of which start with "i") using any number of services (whichever works better at the time), and can download those movies onto those devices for periods of time when I don't have internet access.

I still prefer to watch the physical discs on my home theater, but the fact that I don't have to carry a case of physical movies to watch on trips (which I used to do) is highly desirable.

As far as iTunes vs Ultraviolet, I have both now ... but 90% of my UV collection is HD, whereas only about 10% of my iTunes collection is HD. The iTunes collection is larger but used little (since I can only watch on my computer).

I have also started experimenting with the Disc-to-Digital programs offered by Vudu/Walmart and CinemaNow/Best Buy. Being able to add a digital title (of one you own that either did not come with a redemption or has expired) and in HD for just a couple bucks beats paying much more for an iTunes copy that can only be accessed on Apple equipment.

Last edited by flix1; 01-04-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #10

Dec 2012

The one thing that really frustrates me is purchasing a title ONLY for the digital copy. Then finding out the code has already expired before you bought the package. Something seems just wrong with this...... I PAID for this did I not?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCloud View Post
The one thing that really frustrates me is purchasing a title ONLY for the digital copy. Then finding out the code has already expired before you bought the package. Something seems just wrong with this...... I PAID for this did I not?
Why would you purchase a title only for the digital copy. If your going to do that you might as well just buy the digital version online.
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #12

Jan 2010
Narnia

I recently bought HBO's Game Change it has Blu/DVD/Vudu/iTunes $17.99

So sometimes the retail package makes sense for a Digital purchase.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
It's a pain to set-up initially because of the number of accounts involved but easy after that.
I finally set up all three accounts. My copy of Blade Runner hasn't appeared on VUDU yet though.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #14

Sep 2009
Oklahoma

It probably won't ever show up in Vudu, if you redeem Blade Runner through flixster. Contacted Vudu support they said contact flixster so I opened up a support ticket with flixster. After about two weeks flixster said they would fix the issue but, nothing ever happened.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

UV is so much better than itunes. With itunes, you can't stream so you have to wait for hours for a download, and tablet-wise you can only watch your movie on an iPad. With UV you can stream which is so much more user-friendly. I'm shocked iTunes doesn't offer streaming digial copies yet.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
UV is so much better than itunes. With itunes, you can't stream so you have to wait for hours for a download, and tablet-wise you can only watch your movie on an iPad. With UV you can stream which is so much more user-friendly. I'm shocked iTunes doesn't offer streaming digial copies yet.
It does, IOS 7 now adds in streaming for Iphones and Ipads in both SD and HD, something UV is still catching up on.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #17

Jul 2011

Quote:

Took me awhile to wrap my head around this too. When I first starting hearing about UV I started to google for info and was surprised how many itunes users (I didn't know anything about itunes) were poo pooing UV it was a "streaming service" and they wanted to download! Talking like streaming doesn't work?Couldn't figure it out until I found out itunes at least was a download only deal? so thats what the itunes crowd were use to.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrznBluRayFan View Post
It does, IOS 7 now adds in streaming for Iphones and Ipads in both SD and HD, something UV is still catching up on.
Really? I'll have to look into this. I just upgraded my iPad to IOS 7. Cool.

On a side note, what do you mean by UV is catching up on? I thought they already could stream in sd and hd.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Special Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Really? I'll have to look into this. I just upgraded my iPad to IOS 7. Cool.

On a side note, what do you mean by UV is catching up on? I thought they already could stream in sd and hd.
I think he's referring to portable devices. Vudu is SD only on portable apps but HD on TV apps etc. iTunes has HD and SD streaming on their portable devices and AppleTV now.

Apparently the Flixster app now supports HD and SD streaming? But I wouldn't know for sure, just something I read. But then again, Flixster's service (aside from their customer service) is absolutely dreadful, so I wouldn't even bother.
500+ Blu-ray
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News View Post
I think he's referring to portable devices. Vudu is SD only on portable apps but HD on TV apps etc. iTunes has HD and SD streaming on their portable devices and AppleTV now.

Apparently the Flixster app now supports HD and SD streaming? But I wouldn't know for sure, just something I read. But then again, Flixster's service (aside from their customer service) is absolutely dreadful, so I wouldn't even bother.

Yes Flixster/Vudu do have HD streaming, and it works great in my house at 720p. My internet connection isn't strong enough for 1080p (HDX).

I was browsing my itunes app on my iPad last night and did NOT see a streaming option, and I have ios 7. Am I missing something?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet