COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla vs. Megalon (Blu-ray)
$12.74

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
No, no, plasma died in 2009 when Vizio and Pioneer exited the display market don't you remember?
was vizio one of the premiere plasma tv's back then like pioneer?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Two_Cents View Post
If this results in OLED sets in the same price/size ratio as current plasmas, then I'm perfectly fine with this move. Even if prices are up to 20% higher, I'm willing to pay for the improvements OLED will bring.
they DO NOT want those prices though. according to researchers the reason Panny and Samsung and LG are rolling in RED in the Plasma/LED/LCD category is BECAUSE prices have been driven so low by consumers. they're selling at a loss JUST to sell even. they're being driven out of business because consumer's won't even pay cost anymore... at least that's what's being spewed around
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Oakland,CA

Quote:
No, no, plasma died in 2009 when Vizio and Pioneer exited the display market don't you remember?
vizio and pioneer dont belong in the same sentence
PSN- RAGEofACHILLES79
" Clear Eyes , Full Hearts , Can't Lose "
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #24

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
Definitely NOT ...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Definitely NOT ...
didn't think so, i didn't know shit about plasma back then...but based on what i've seen of vizio lcd's, there top of the line...if your looking at the lower class brands haha
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #26

Mar 2010

Shame, Ive had a lot of plasmas in the passed and upgraded from a samsung LED to a 65st50 and its amazing how thin and light panasonic got them.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #27
Hot Deals moderator

Mar 2007
Ashland, WI Steelbooks: 100+

The only problem I have with OLED technology is that it seems to create little blotches on a completely dark screen. Both the Playstation Vita and newer smartphones (like the Galaxy S III I own) have this issue and I find it quite annoying when the screen blacks out or when watching netflix on the Vita in the dark.

(Not my screen. Just used to show the issue) Again, this is usually only visible on a gray or darker screen like when loading games or watching netflix in widescreen where there are bars on the top and bottom or the sides. Some may not find it a nuisance, but I can't help but see them and be distracted by them. I can only imagine they would be worse on a larger sized display especially since I like to watch movies with the lights off. I have a feeling this would be very noticeable and annoying.
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
Home Theater 7.1 Setup:
Samsung PN64D7000 64" Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Launch PS4, 1TB PS3 Slim
Polk Tsi 300 Fronts
Polk CS20 Center
Polk Tsi 100 Rears
Polk T15 Surround Rears
Polk PSW111 Subwoofer
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
they DO NOT want those prices though. according to researchers the reason Panny and Samsung and LG are rolling in RED in the Plasma/LED/LCD category is BECAUSE prices have been driven so low by consumers. they're selling at a loss JUST to sell even. they're being driven out of business because consumer's won't even pay cost anymore... at least that's what's being spewed around
part of hte problem is all the shitty lcd'ss that ocmpanies make. some 40" you can get for like 350 bucks. people see that and love it, and since they dont appreciate proper quality, they think those are just as good as a 2k$ plasma. i actually showed my grandfather the st50 i want and when we got home and watched his vizio lcd (42" for 400 bucks) he actually commented how it looked nowhere near as good as the plasma.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #29

Feb 2010

Just upgraded my set to a 65 inch Panasonic GT50 (From a 61 inch Samsung HLT6189). I was floored by the PQ of the Panasonic despite it not being calibrated yet.

The GT50 should hold me over 4-6 years while Panasonic and others work out the kinks, and bring down OLED production costs. I am excited to watch the next generation of TV's begin to appear...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Quote:
No, but it was enough for sensationalists and LCD fanboys to announce the death of plasma, ignoring of course that Pioneer announced it was exiting the DISPLAY business, not the plasma business.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
No, but it was enough for sensationalists and LCD fanboys to announce the death of plasma, ignoring of course that Pioneer announced it was exiting the DISPLAY business, not the plasma business.
haha, always the fine detail they over look. like i said in this and other threads, idk how people could not want plasma, its cheaper and the pic quality is clearly better. all the lcd's look blurry and washed out in color compared to the plasma i looked at at est buy - the panny st50
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

I love this time of year, can't wait for the CES announcements.
\o/
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Quote:
rofl, all this new tech that normal consumers can't come close to affording.
just like plasma was when it started.
the costs will eventually come down--you gotta start somewhere.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #34

Jun 2007

Vizio!!!! Hahaha. They're hardly even a tv brand. Lmao. Vizio in no way determines the market at all. Especially considering the brand in general is a punch line for any real A/V enthusiast. I hope you were joking but it's throwing me off since you included Pioneer. And also on another note. If Pamasonic was to not research the development of plasma technology ever again LED in general still couldn't match the 2012 PQ by any means any time soon.
Living Room:Panasonic TC-P65VT60, ONKYO TX-NR727, Polk TSI300(Fronts), TSI100(Rears), CS10(Center), Outlaw LFM-1Plus(Sub), OPPO BDP-103
Bed Room: TC-P55GT50, Denon 1913, Onkyo SKS-HT870
Blu-Ray: 900
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #35
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
just like plasma was when it started.
the costs will eventually come down--you gotta start somewhere.
very true, can't argue that. hey, at least i'll pick up a sweet new panny plasma...then in 4 or 5 years when im looking to upgrade, price on OLED's could be reasonable
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Another reason to hang on to my Kuro....

My knowledge (which admittedly is limited) of OLED is that the lifecycle of the product is dramatically shorter than other technologies. On the computer front, Apple has spent years researching OLED for it's displays but this (as well as cost) is the limiting factor.
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #37

Oct 2008

I think this also has to do with the fact that now they teamed up with Sony. With panasonic technology an sonys new technology I think were going to see some of the best displays ever!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Another reason to hang on to my Kuro....

My knowledge (which admittedly is limited) of OLED is that the lifecycle of the product is dramatically shorter than other technologies. On the computer front, Apple has spent years researching OLED for it's displays but this (as well as cost) is the limiting factor.
I've often wondered just what ARE the monumental advantages of OLED over the top of the line plasmas that all manufacturers are so keen to jump on board to develop? Yes I know they're thinner and I assume they consume less energy. However what about off angle viewing, motion resolution, black levels, image retention, etc? Are they a lot cheaper to manufacture? Do they somehow produce more accurate color? Why is this technology so highly regarded?
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #39
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I've often wondered just what ARE the monumental advantages of OLED over the top of the line plasmas that all manufacturers are so keen to jump on board to develop? Yes I know they're thinner and I assume they consume less energy. However what about off angle viewing, motion resolution, black levels, image retention, etc? Are they a lot cheaper to manufacture? Do they somehow produce more accurate color? Why is this technology so highly regarded?
from what i've read each individual pixel on an oled tv produces its own light to create the picture resulting in deeper blacks and a wider array of colors. with each one producing its own light it reduces the cost to run. basically, from what i read it has all the benefits of both led and plasma combined into one. i for one think the thin display of an oled is way over rated..who cares if its 1.5 inches thinner, its not gonna say much room for me! i read since its organic the display could just be put on a shirt or wall alone, for example.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #40

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

For those of you who think OLED's are expensive check out Panasonic's 152" 4K plasma.With features not available on any of their other plasma tv's it sales for $500,000.Plasma is not dead, but costs nore than OLED in bigger screen sizes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs