Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #5201
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
I bet your wondering why it took you so long to do it. I'm glad it's working out for you.
And you'd be right.............. When I found out the three way center wouldn't fit in that space without removing the glass, I wish I was lazy and just put it on top then . So now I've brought back out the original center channel (that was just sitting in a closet) and am thinking about adding it to the mix
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #5202
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
For the first half of the movie I was really surprised at the bass, really boomie and bloated. Then I realized that Dynamic EQ had been turned on somehow. The second half the presentation was much better in the LFE department with it turned off, will have to watch it again to get the Dynamic EQ parts out of mine head, really don't like that feature.

Hopefully I can find some quiet time this week to run Audyessy Pro, the kids are still home from school this week as well. Very hard to find time with the house quiet enough for it. By the time they're in bed and things have quieted down I just haven't been up to tackling the job as it's much longer process than just running XT32. I may have to come home early one day next week while they're in school to get it done.

Any plans for your system in 2013?

I'm just hoping to be able to ad a pj & screen in late 2013, that's the only plan I have at this point. Of course there's other things I'd like to do but think the pj is the only one that I'll actually take my wallet out for. Only working part time for most of the year is also going to curb my spending, not going to have as much extra cash for HT related items.
Any projector you looking at? Fxed screen?
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42 Movies and 4 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Letterboxd Diary
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #5203
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
And you'd be right.............. When I found out the three way center wouldn't fit in that space without removing the glass, I wish I was lazy and just put it on top then . So now I've brought back out the original center channel (that was just sitting in a closet) and am thinking about adding it to the mix
You've got two centers?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #5204
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Any projector you looking at? Fxed screen?
No fixed screen Travis, that way the kids can use the plasma for watching tv and gaming etc. At this point in time I'd go for the new Panasonic 8000 or the JVC DLA-X70 if I'm able to save enough cash and get a great deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #5205
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
No fixed screen Travis, that way the kids can use the plasma for watching tv and gaming etc. At this point in time I'd go for the new Panasonic 8000 or the JVC DLA-X70 if I'm able to save enough cash and get a great deal.
JVC all the way!!!!! and XPRs while you are at it. lol
Speakers - Monitor Audio GX300 - GX350C - GXFX
Subwoofers - Dual Definitive Technology Trinity Subwoofers
Amps - Bryston 4bsst2 2 channal - Brystom 5bst 3 channel
Pre/Pros - Denon 4311 - Cambridge Audio 840E Preamp
Sources - PS3 - Maranta NA7004 - Denon 1713
Power and Protection - 2 Panamax 5400 PM
Cabling - Audioquest Rocket 33 biwire - Diamondbacks - Forest - SubX - NRGX3 - Evergreen Optilink
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #5206
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
JVC all the way!!!!! and XPRs while you are at it. lol
That's all going to depend on whether I go back to school in Sept. If that's the case you may not see any new gear for awhile, if not you may see some XPR's running my Dyn's!

Tried pushing your XPR hard yet?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #5207
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
That's all going to depend on whether I go back to school in Sept. If that's the case you may not see any new gear for awhile, if not you may see some XPR's running my Dyn's!

Not yet but I will tonight.
Cabling - Audioquest Rocket 33 biwire - Diamondbacks - Forest - SubX - NRGX3 - Evergreen Optilink
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #5208
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
on the couch

Quote:

I can't imagine myself going back to school. OTOH, I fully expect you to be powering those Dyns with brand-spanking new XPR monoblocks by the summer.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #5209
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I can't imagine myself going back to school. OTOH, I fully expect you to be powering those Dyns with brand-spanking new XPR monoblocks by the summer.
I have no idea what I'd take at this point in time. Just completed worn out from burning the candle at both ends for too long. I'll have the time and would like to try something new, just haven't figured out what that something may be. I might feel differently after completing the six month part time contract I have taken. May just need some time to recharge the old batteries before taking another run at creating a successful business. Not sure at this point in time.

I just might end up with the XPR-1's sooner than I think, the sale of my current amps will offset the price nicely and won't end up costing to much out of pocket. Don't think I'd do a mono block for the center again though, especially with how big the XPR amps are. I'll contemplate it again when the next sale comes around.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #5210
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
I have no idea what I'd take at this point in time. Just completed worn out from burning the candle at both ends for too long. I'll have the time and would like to try something new, just haven't figured out what that something may be. I might feel differently after completing the six month part time contract I have taken. May just need some time to recharge the old batteries before taking another run at creating a successful business. Not sure at this point in time.

I just might end up with the XPR-1's sooner than I think, the sale of my current amps will offset the price nicely and won't end up costing to much out of pocket. Don't think I'd do a mono block for the center again though, especially with how big the XPR amps are. I'll contemplate it again when the next sale comes around.
I am sure you would be fine with 2 monos and the xpr 5. Do you think your center needs that much power? I think my combo is overkill for my system. Lol

I think taking some time off from the grind would be helpful. I know business owners and they are the hardest working people I know. You need that break just to sit back and enjoy that nice system.

I got those meters moving tonight!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #5211
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
I am sure you would be fine with 2 monos and the xpr 5. Do you think your center needs that much power? I think my combo is overkill for my system. Lol

I think taking some time off from the grind would be helpful. I know business owners and they are the hardest working people I know. You need that break just to sit back and enjoy that nice system.

I got those meters moving tonight!!!!!!
Thanks Darrell.

I do think another big mono is a bit overkill for the center, the XPR-5 should power it nicely. Like the XPR-5 isn't overkill to begin with.

So what were you watching/listening too?

My ears or gear run out of gas before my amps do. I was watching Thor earlier and the meters were moving pretty good on the XPA-1's, even the center channel amp. I'd say into the 60-70% range for the mains when listening at -10 and in the 50% range for the center, although not as often as the mains.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #5212
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Thanks Darrell.

I do think another big mono is a bit overkill for the center, the XPR-5 should power it nicely. Like the XPR-5 isn't overkill to begin with.

So what were you watching/listening too?

My ears or gear run out of gas before my amps do. I was watching Thor earlier and the meters were moving pretty good on the XPA-1's, even the center channel amp. I'd say into the 60-70% range for the mains when listening at -10 and in the 50% range for the center, although not as often as the mains.
Yeah that's alot of power to the center. Any of the xprs is total overkill lol.

Well I have been listening to some joe bonamssa, and various female artist. With my preamp, I don't know where I am at volume wise but like you, my ears give before they will ever run out of steam. I had the meters in the 60% range. I am now curious of what those meters mean power wise and what the impedance curve of the gx300s are. Never knew how much current my speakers pull but now I am very curious since I can see meters. They run cool though. The classe would have been too hot to touch right now.

My wife made me turn it down. She says I am insane to be listening that loud. I will give it a good run when she is not here. I am ready to get the xpr2. Now I need to find some nice amp stands.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #5213
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Yeah that's alot of power to the center. Any of the xprs is total overkill lol.

Well I have been listening to some joe bonamssa, and various female artist. With my preamp, I don't know where I am at volume wise but like you, my ears give before they will ever run out of steam. I had the meters in the 60% range. I am now curious of what those meters mean power wise and what the impedance curve of the gx300s are. Never knew how much current my speakers pull but now I am very curious since I can see meters. They run cool though. The classe would have been too hot to touch right now.

My wife made me turn it down. She says I am insane to be listening that loud. I will give it a good run when she is not here. I am ready to get the xpr2. Now I need to find some nice amp stands.
I don't listen loud all the time, most of the time but not everytime I turn the system on. It is nice to know that you've got the current capability and power to do so if you desire. I like to listen at louder volumes just because you then feel what ever your listening to, it's more involving for me. To just listen and not feel it as well just doesn't move me in the same way.

These are the only measurements of the GX Series I could find, should at least give you a little insight into your speakers.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...-labs-measures

While they're not the most difficult speakers to drive they definitely benefit from a good dose of very high current. Most high end speakers do, even if they're rated at 8ohm. The Paradigms I had are usually thought to be an easy to drive speaker but they pulled current like a mofo, especially the big C5 center channel. High current is a must IMO.

That being said you don't always need big massive amps like the Emo's, Naim amps are stable down to 1 ohm and will produce quiet a bit of current. They have some compromises the same as the big Emo's do, like not much secondary capacitance, small transformer, low power etc. The plus side is they're not 75-100 pounds and don't take up a lot of real estate. The individual must decide which compromises they're willing to accept and live with.

I read somewhere on the Emo Lounge that the meters are calibrated for 8ohm, therefore if you've got 4ohm speakers you can be clipping before you see the lights. Probably the only reliable answer would come from Emotiva themselves as I'm not 100% sure.

How are the speakers handling the new amps? They must be sounding great with the new pre amp as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #5214
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
I don't listen loud all the time, most of the time but not everytime I turn the system on. It is nice to know that you've got the current capability and power to do so if you desire. I like to listen at louder volumes just because you then feel what ever your listening to, it's more involving for me. To just listen and not feel it as well just doesn't move me in the same way.

These are the only measurements of the GX Series I could find, should at least give you a little insight into your speakers.

While they're not the most difficult speakers to drive they definitely benefit from a good dose of very high current. Most high end speakers do, even if they're rated at 8ohm. The Paradigms I had are usually thought to be an easy to drive speaker but they pulled current like a mofo, especially the big C5 center channel. High current is a must IMO.

That being said you don't always need big massive amps like the Emo's, Naim amps are stable down to 1 ohm and will produce quiet a bit of current. They have some compromises the same as the big Emo's do, like not much secondary capacitance, small transformer, low power etc. The plus side is they're not 75-100 pounds and don't take up a lot of real estate. The individual must decide which compromises they're willing to accept and live with.

I read somewhere on the Emo Lounge that the meters are calibrated for 8ohm, therefore if you've got 4ohm speakers you can be clipping before you see the lights. Probably the only reliable answer would come from Emotiva themselves as I'm not 100% sure.

How are the speakers handling the new amps? They must be sounding great with the new pre amp as well.
I am the same way. I do some low level listening, but I like to music to immerse me and for that I need a little volume. Feeling the music is where it is. My wife doesnt understand.

Current is definitely needed. I think I went up to 70-75% when I played In The Air Tonight. Those meters were really moving when those drums kicked in.

There are some nice smaller amps. But as you said, your are giving up something. I personally like the look of big monster amps. I don't think I could ever go class d as they are just too small for me. Big monster amps seem manly.

I don't think I have ever made it to clipping, if I did, I didnt know. Have you done it alot?

I am love the tube pre/ss amp combo. I am really ready to get the xpr2. I might not make the meters move on that one. I dont think my speakers will ever draw that much current from that beast but I could be wrong. I am going to do a video once everything is finished and I have my room treatments. The bryston is sold and I have an offer on the classe so I should be done soon. Looking foward to being done. Its been a long 4 months.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #5215
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Panasonic 8000 is nice, decent price....thinking about it. JVC very nice!
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42 Movies and 4 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Letterboxd Diary
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #5216
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Panasonic 8000 is nice, decent price....thinking about it. JVC very nice!
The JVC is very nice.

I've viewed a few JVC's at the local shops in dedicated rooms and they look fantastic, much better than Panasonic. The problem is the price, might be difficult to swing one. Too early to tell if it's a real possibility yet or just a pipe dream, time will tell.

Your thinking of an Epson as well right?

We have a local dealer, may have to swing by one of these days and check them out. Much easier on the wallet.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #5217
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
I am the same way. I do some low level listening, but I like to music to immerse me and for that I need a little volume. Feeling the music is where it is. My wife doesnt understand.

Current is definitely needed. I think I went up to 70-75% when I played In The Air Tonight. Those meters were really moving when those drums kicked in.

There are some nice smaller amps. But as you said, your are giving up something. I personally like the look of big monster amps. I don't think I could ever go class d as they are just too small for me. Big monster amps seem manly.

I don't think I have ever made it to clipping, if I did, I didnt know. Have you done it alot?

I am love the tube pre/ss amp combo. I am really ready to get the xpr2. I might not make the meters move on that one. I dont think my speakers will ever draw that much current from that beast but I could be wrong. I am going to do a video once everything is finished and I have my room treatments. The bryston is sold and I have an offer on the classe so I should be done soon. Looking foward to being done. Its been a long 4 months.
Nope, I think I've only seen the clip lights flash twice and I was admittedly getting pretty stupid with the volume.

To me the music/movies are somewhat lifeless without feeling it as well, it doesn't necessarily have to be bass either. For instance symbols are another one that give you that feeling or when a singer really starts belting out a tune. There's just so many ways to derive feeling from music/movies. For the most part I can still enjoy media without that but sometimes there's just no substitute for it.

That's great news that your extra amps are selling. Now you can get some good seat time with the current configuration and figure out how you can improve on the sound/calibration. That's usually the part that turns a good sounding system into a great sounding system.

I'll be looking forward to watching a video of your system Darrell!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #5218
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico

TGIF Aces!

[Show spoiler]
Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #5219
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:

its funny you bring up Naim. I was always curious about the 300 VA transformers and how they get their power out of them, then I read this article, took me a minute to find it again, but the way it describes building an amp, sometimes more about a 50 wpc amp sounds like Naim builds following a textbook style. Im not saying Naim does it perfectly, I dont know everything they do/dont do. However I thought this article might be interesting to you. Interesting read, a little more engineering then I fully get, but I could follow along decently enough.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps3_e.html
there are 3 pages, this is page 3.

Heres an image inside the Nait 5i(I believe this is the 5i, not the 5i or the 5i-2) Obviously its a minimalist design, and Im not saying there arent cost cutting measures, I would think this unit costs Naim no more then $700 to build. I think the SimAudio equivalent is probably a little more textbook due to the doubling down, which naim doesnt quite do(and attached is a that picture as well for comparison). It would appear the naim uses a smaller torodial transformer, but more capacitance? Not sure the whole setup, just thought these were interesting after I read that article, and then you metioned that.

If you look inside the XPA-1, that looks like an amp. WOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naim5i inside.jpg (15.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Moon_i-1_int.jpg (86.4 KB, 7 views)
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated, Jolida FX Tube DAC
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6, Energy C-50
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser

Bedroom: Samsung LNT-4061 40" LCD, Sony BDP-360, XBox 360
Girls room: Vizio 32" VX32L, Sony Upconverting DVD player
Boys room: Samsung 32" LN32B360, Panasonic BD-35k

Last edited by callas01; 01-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #5220
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
TGIF Aces!

[Show spoiler]
The Sous Chef returns
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo