Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which Blu-ray edition of Predator has the better picture quality?
2008 barebones edition 632 52.49%
2010 Ultimate Hunter Edition 339 28.16%
Neither 233 19.35%
Voters: 1204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #5501
Blu-21 Blu-21 is online now
Power Member
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
58
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I don't think it looks good. Both versions look like crap IMO. The UHE is just the lesser of the two evils.

And yes, the first release does attempt to represent the original film elements better, but the MPEG2 codec simply doesn't allow this attempt to go far.
So something that is contrast boosted and has extensive DNR which not only gives everything a very clean artificial waxy look which takes a back seat on fine detail, but the film's cinematography has been altered as well to the point that scenes that are meant to be taken place at night look like they are shot in the day, that is the lesser of 2 evils compared to the 2008 release which stays faithful to the orignal film elements but just comes up technologically short?

I don't understand that logic..
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #5502
leem6453 leem6453 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
leem6453's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL
11
352
3
35
Default

There are scenes in the UHE that actually shine imo. The jungle scenes in particulare are very vibrant and more alive. The opening scene is horrid though.
100th Blu-ray: Predator UHE
200th Blu-ray: Chronicle
300th Blu-ray: Friday the 13th Collection

New home theater gallery updated Nov 2013

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...ember=leem6453
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #5503
Blu-21 Blu-21 is online now
Power Member
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
58
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
There are scenes in the UHE that actually shine imo. The jungle scenes in particulare are very vibrant and more alive. The opening scene is horrid though.
The jungle is not meant to be vibrant and shiny place that looks like a video game, its meant to be a dirty gritty jungle. The 2008 release captures that feel while also pleasing the eye with some good colours and some strong detail. Being faithful to the source is more important then trying to artificially gives the illusion of a better looking image with digital tricky.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #5504
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-21 View Post
the jungle is not meant to be vibrant and shiny place that looks like a video game, its meant to be a dirty gritty jungle. The 2008 release captures that feel while also pleasing the eye with some good colours and some strong detail. Being faithful to the source is more important then trying to artificially gives the illusion of a better looking image with digital tricky.
+1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #5505
MerrickG MerrickG is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
MerrickG's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
College Station, TX
2
Default

This is one of my all time favorite bluray a because the DNR is so bad it's absolutely hilarious.

I appreciate this disc from the perspective as to how badly something can go wrong.
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPS!!!!

PS gamertag: Merrick97
Xbox 360: Merrick97
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #5506
42041 42041 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Oct 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
There are scenes in the UHE that actually shine imo. The jungle scenes in particulare are very vibrant and more alive. The opening scene is horrid though.
That might be a good look for a nature documentary. But that is not the look of Predator's theatrical color timing, which is murky and drenched in deep shadows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #5507
leem6453 leem6453 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
leem6453's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL
11
352
3
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The jungle is not meant to be vibrant and shiny place that looks like a video game, its meant to be a dirty gritty jungle. The 2008 release captures that feel while also pleasing the eye with some good colours and some strong detail. Being faithful to the source is more important then trying to artificially gives the illusion of a better looking image with digital tricky.
Not to be misunderstood, I do enjoy the 2008 release MUCH more than the UHE. I guess the way I should've rephrased that is...if I had to find some merit in the UHE, it would be the jungle scenes. I actually do enjoy them. The overall transfer is a mess though. The 2008 release while not perfect is much more consistent.
100th Blu-ray: Predator UHE
200th Blu-ray: Chronicle
300th Blu-ray: Friday the 13th Collection

New home theater gallery updated Nov 2013

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...ember=leem6453
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #5508
Oblivion138 Oblivion138 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oblivion138's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
1478
3
Default

Both releases certainly have their problems. For the original release, it's compression and a pitiful bitrate...for the UHE, it's DNR overload and contrast boosting. In screenshots, both stand out like a sore thumb. In motion, the UHE's problems are far more noticeable. Artifacts come and go from moment to moment...they're relatively easy to miss or tune out. The DNR is just there, and it's not going anywhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #5509
The Fallen Deity The Fallen Deity is offline
Power Member
 
The Fallen Deity's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
England
131
37
3
Default

Does anybody reckon fox will add this film to their film maker signature series this year and do a new director's approved transfer, i hope so but it's unlikely, fingers crossed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #5510
YodasFootPowder YodasFootPowder is offline
Special Member
 
YodasFootPowder's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN
40
270
4
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Does anybody reckon fox will add this film to their film maker signature series this year and do a new director's approved transfer, i hope so but it's unlikely, fingers crossed.
I'm sure we'll see, yet, another release, sometime, but I'd bet it will be another couple of years, at least.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #5511
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Does anybody reckon fox will add this film to their film maker signature series this year and do a new director's approved transfer, i hope so but it's unlikely, fingers crossed.
Depends on McTiernan since the Filmmamker's Signature Series has involved the director of each title personally.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #5512
tylergfoster tylergfoster is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Seattle, WA
498
575
19
Default

In case anyone is wondering, despite what it says in the database (I have corrected the listing but my corrections have not yet gone through), 20th Century Fox's Own the Moments double feature of Predator and Predator 2 includes the old release of Predator, and not the UHE. It was only $7.88 at my local Walmart, so I picked it up.

If this info was already posted, since this 2-disc set is pretty old, sorry.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #5513
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
In case anyone is wondering, despite what it says in the database (I have corrected the listing but my corrections have not yet gone through), 20th Century Fox's Own the Moments double feature of Predator and Predator 2 includes the old release of Predator, and not the UHE. It was only $7.88 at my local Walmart, so I picked it up.

If this info was already posted, since this 2-disc set is pretty old, sorry.
That's a good deal. Beats the $15 or so I paid for the 2008 release and $10 Predator 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #5514
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
574
198
160
1
Default



I found this edition for five dollars at used bookstore during lunch break today. I have been wanting to buy Predator since I bought a Blu-ray player, but I am glad that I did my homework on this website before buying the Ultimate Hunter Edition that ubiquitously appears for a cheap price at all the stores around here.

I have not had a chance to give this one a viewing yet. Based on what I've read here, though, it'll look like the gloriously dirty movie it always has been, except with more detail.

This is hardly my favorite movie, but I've loved it since seeing it at the theater back in 1987, and it's probably my favorite 1980s Arnold Schwarzenegger flick. Just a good old rugged beatdown of an action movie that hits the spot whenever I'm in that frame of mind.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 01-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #5515
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post


I found this edition for five dollars at used bookstore during lunch break today. I have been wanting to buy Predator since I bought a Blu-ray player, but I am glad that I did my homework on this website before buying the Ultimate Hunter Edition that ubiquitously appears for a cheap price at all the stores around here.

I have not had a chance to give this one a viewing yet. Based on what I've read here, though, it'll look like the gloriously dirty movie it always has been, except with more detail.

This is hardly my favorite movie, but I've loved it since seeing it at the theater back in 1987, and it's probably my favorite 1980s Arnold Schwarzenegger flick. Just a good old rugged beatdown of an action movie that hits the spot whenever I'm in that frame of mind.
"You have chosen wisely."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #5516
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
574
198
160
1
Default

I watched my 2008 edition last night, and am hard-pressed to imagine how Predator could look better without excessive tinkering. This looks much better than any previous format that I have owned for this movie.

Predator will never look glossy. The random grainy images in the jungle darkness, and the blurry scene with Schwarzenegger jumping into the water from the cliff were not state-of-the-art when I saw them at the theater in 1987, but that's how this particular movie rolls along. This movie has that "bigger is always better, but not necessarily clear-looking" approach that just about every other action movie had during the mid-to-late 1980s, and, to an extent, the early 1990s (probably why my Blu-ray of Point Break is likely the best possible presentation that it will ever have).

Predator is what it is, and the 2008 Blu-ray shows off the detail in fine form without revisionism. The fight scenes during the conclusion, with the sparks and flames in the background, look downright amazing. The alien's camouflage looks better than ever. As always, I can work around the occasional blurry shot or grain image that pops up a split second here and a split second there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #5517
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
399
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I watched my 2008 edition last night, and am hard-pressed to imagine how Predator could look better without excessive tinkering. This looks much better than any previous format that I have owned for this movie.

Predator will never look glossy. The random grainy images in the jungle darkness, and the blurry scene with Schwarzenegger jumping into the water from the cliff were not state-of-the-art when I saw them at the theater in 1987, but that's how this particular movie rolls along. This movie has that "bigger is always better, but not necessarily clear-looking" approach that just about every other action movie had during the mid-to-late 1980s, and, to an extent, the early 1990s (probably why my Blu-ray of Point Break is likely the best possible presentation that it will ever have).

Predator is what it is, and the 2008 Blu-ray shows off the detail in fine form without revisionism. The fight scenes during the conclusion, with the sparks and flames in the background, look downright amazing. The alien's camouflage looks better than ever. As always, I can work around the occasional blurry shot or grain image that pops up a split second here and a split second there.
Agreed! I thought it looked decent throughout but yeah, that fight at the end is where it shines IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #5518
tylergfoster tylergfoster is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Seattle, WA
498
575
19
Default

If anyone else is looking for the double feature (which, again, contains the 2008 Blu-Ray), it was on a new Wal-Mart endcap with a handful of other 20th Century Fox Own the Moments double features, and some cheap Buena Vista stuff.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #5519
skullsdontfade skullsdontfade is offline
Member
 
Jan 2011
534
Default

I purchased the movie moments version and the disc says ultimate hunter edition. That bummed me out but then the disc wouldn't even load. Might just return and look for the non UHE version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #5520
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullsdontfade View Post
I purchased the movie moments version and the disc says ultimate hunter edition. That bummed me out but then the disc wouldn't even load. Might just return and look for the non UHE version.
It's only $11.10 on Amazon right now if you just want to keep it easy on yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Crazies (2010) -- 29th June Blu-ray Movies - North America Phil92 285 10-15-2013 05:15 AM
Black Sabbath: Paranoid (Classic Albums) due out June 29th! Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music McCrutchy 10 07-06-2010 04:33 AM
Predator Ext Ed for Canada June 29 Canada Teazle 8 05-13-2010 10:42 PM
Aliens vs. Predator PS3 Hunter Edition SteelBook™| Feb 16, 2010 Blu-ray SteelBooks jw 29 02-17-2010 12:32 AM
Transformers 3 June 29th 2011 Movies blu-mike 21 12-17-2008 10:08 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31 PM.