Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
4 hrs ago
Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.59

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
14 hrs ago
Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.97

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.17

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.43

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which gives the best viewing experience?
Cinema/Movie Theatre 7 22.58%
Home Projector 12 38.71%
Home 3D TV 14 45.16%
Itís all the same to me 1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #101
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

There are a bunch factors that come into play and isn't as simple as home vs theatre. There's:
Active vs Passive
Brightness
Equipment Used
Resolution
Viewing Distance
Viewing Angle

Actually I'm interested in knowing how much the viewing angle comes into play in terms of 3D. Cos the image in my H.T is slightly above eye level (especially for 2.39:1 movies).
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshreder View Post
Is it just me or does 3D look much better on home systems...?

Just watched the Hobbit in 3D at the theater and I seem to get better depth on my home system....
Depth depends on parallax/image spearation. This varies from movie to movie. THe only way you can compare them is by watching The Hobbit at home.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #103

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshreder View Post
Ur a dick!
Hey, I am new here as well and it's best just to ignore the comments that don't benefit you. This is what I do in other forums instead of reacting but I agree with you that 3D is a lot better at home. I have a lot of 3d movies myself and just can't get over how amazing the picture is with 3D technology.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #104

Jan 2013
USA 3d bcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
Hey, I am new here as well and it's best just to ignore the comments that don't benefit you. This is what I do in other forums instead of reacting but I agree with you that 3D is a lot better at home. I have a lot of 3d movies myself and just can't get over how amazing the picture is with 3D technology.
Watched the BCS game in 3D last night and it was really amazing. The depth that 3D adds to sports in incredible. It's not so much for the shock effect that that stuff it Popping out at you but more for the depth between players, lines, crowd, and so on. It was really something to see.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #105

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStallard View Post
Watched the BCS game in 3D last night and it was really amazing. The depth that 3D adds to sports in incredible. It's not so much for the shock effect that that stuff it Popping out at you but more for the depth between players, lines, crowd, and so on. It was really something to see.
I am also on the same idea of 3D is great for the depth and really allows the viewer to be immersed into the movie more visually. I dont mind the popping out effects but is not a deal breaker for me. I am here in Canada and don't get much 3d content with Bell Satellite TV. Really hoping for more sports content in 3d here in Canada.

Although I watched a Toronto Maple Leafs game in 3d, it was not as immersive as a 3d movie.

IMO, watching 3d movies with HD sound is better than going to the movie theaters. I am addicted to the 3D picture and just amazed by the technology.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #106
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Actually I'm interested in knowing how much the viewing angle comes into play in terms of 3D. Cos the image in my H.T is slightly above eye level (especially for 2.39:1 movies).
Unless the screen is at an angle, sitting below the image flattens the depth a little and creates a downward stretch distortion. Ideally, you want your head in the middle of the frame. I'm sure you could test this effect on your own setup to see if there's a significant difference.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #107
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I like theater 3D better so I can sit further away for stronger depth. I'll have to get a big projector setup sometime in the future.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #108

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
I like theater 3D better so I can sit further away for stronger depth. I'll have to get a big projector setup sometime in the future.
When you get the projector, then I think your opinion will change.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #109
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
Default Movie Theater versus Home Theater

Will admit, have never seen a 3D movie in the theater.

With all things being equal (good theater and good home theater system with proper calibrations) minus the IMAX experience, how does home theater quality stand up to that of the silver screen?

I realize size matters so there might be less of an emersive punch due to the big screen (or am I too presumptive?). But in general, is the depth faithfully reproduced at home too? Are there limitations in picture quality due to the inherent darkness factor in active sets which affects color saturation and true black of a good quality transfer? At the same time, does the system in the theater produce a more detailed picture than a passive set at home which is not full 1080p?

Of course, I'm not including viewing angles at home.

No need to get into anything deep. Just wondering if home theater is a different experience, nin terms of which is better
Sony KD50W800B monitor, Sony S5500 3D blu ray player, Panasonic DMR E18 DVD recorder, Darbee 5000S video processor, Dennon AVR x2100W receiver, Phase Technology main speakers, Yamaha middle and surround speakers, Infinity subwoofer plus a 40 year old but very good Dynaco book shelf speaker for the back middle speaker.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #110

Apr 2013
Arizona, USA

I like 3D better on my 65" OLED than in the theater, and visitors to my house generally remark that it's better also.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #111

Feb 2016
Cape Ann, MA USA

I was generally neutral about modern 3D films in the theater since their recent revival. As a rule I always opted for the cheaper 2D version, and when the only option was 3D, I enjoyed it okay but didn't really think it added that much.

I needed to upgrade my home video equipment this past summer, and when I was looking for a region-free bluray player, I saw that the 3D ones were not much more expensive. I didn't really need a new TV, but I started researching projectors, and saw that 3D ones were in my range, so I went with that setup. I really got 3D mainly to watch of few of the 3D classics that I already had on blu ray, like Dial M for Murder, Creature From Black Lagoon and It Came From Outer Space (I tend to prefer older movies in general, anyways.)

I LOVED seeing the Golden Age titles in 3D at home, and since I now had the setup I started picking up modern 3D releases, too.

While I still prefer the Golden Age ones, I find that I enjoy modern 3D movies at home quite a bit more than I did in the theater. Not quite sure why--maybe it's because I have a lot more control over adjusting the setup and getting everything as good as it can be.

I don't think I've seen a 3D movie in theaters since I got my home setup, so next time I'll pay more attention to the differences.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #112

Mar 2013

I do prefer the look of the 3D films at home. I was a projectionist when the revival started but took a year or two before my theater joined the folds. If everything is setup right with good focus, newer bulb and no blown speakers. Then the theater outing can be amazing but the hotspots on the silver fleck screen can also be a distraction for my viewing. Still Madagascar 3 I remember looking amazing on the theater screen and at home, but the colour saturation and crispness is still slightly better from my Sony 40ES to my current JVC X950RB. I will still see the occasional film in theatres and in 3D but the standards I was taught as a projectionist has greatly gone downhill. No ones up there anymore to make the proper changes and bothers me as a former booth man.
My DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD Collection
DISPLAY: JVC X950RB 3D Projector (106" screen) Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Oppo-203(Region Free)
SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE X, NINTENDO SWITCH
RECEIVER: Marantz sr7010, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Old 11-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #113
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Glad to know that what we have at home doesn't take away but actually adds to the enjoyment we love.

And not only are many discs less than the cost of two tickets but for us older guys with enlarged bladders, the advantages are obvious.
Sony KD50W800B monitor, Sony S5500 3D blu ray player, Panasonic DMR E18 DVD recorder, Darbee 5000S video processor, Dennon AVR x2100W receiver, Phase Technology main speakers, Yamaha middle and surround speakers, Infinity subwoofer plus a 40 year old but very good Dynaco book shelf speaker for the back middle speaker.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #114

Sep 2012

If you can catch a screening of a golden age film, you must do it!! I saw 'House of Wax 3D' in a theater in the 80s, and it is still the best 3D presentation I've seen. And I've seen a lot of 3D in the theater.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #115
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
If you can catch a screening of a golden age film, you must do it!! I saw 'House of Wax 3D' in a theater in the 80s, and it is still the best 3D presentation I've seen. And I've seen a lot of 3D in the theater.
Hi Smaugone,

Wish radio city music hall would hold an expo. Imagine the classics of the fifties on that gigantic screen!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #116
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Question IMAX, RPX, or XD - which is best for theatrical 3D?

What are your preferences for seeing 3D in the theater? I'm trending more and more toward a home 3D experience, given some of the terrible 3D screenings I've seen in theaters, so I'm wondering which venue provides the best 3D experience.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #117

Feb 2017
Midwest, USA

The best I've seen:

IMAX with Laser

https://www.imax.com/news/imax-laser-here

Dolby Vision 3D

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-vision.html
Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #118

Sep 2012

We don't have any options here, just Cinemark. Nice theater, 3D looks pretty good there, Real3D.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #119
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Cinemark XD 3D is a first option, with a giant screen, great 3D projection/brightness/contrast but limited show times. More expensive.

Cinemark Real D 3D is my most common option, great 3D projection/brightness/contrast and good selection of showtimes. Fair price.

Regal Imax 3D great 3D projection/brightness/contrast, though a bit of a drive to reach. More expensive.

Home 3D on blu-ray 3D. While I always try to see a theatrical 3D movie in movie theaters for a giant screen experience unlike anything else and to see the movie on release week instead of having to wait months later for blu ray 3D, I still enjoy watching many 3D movies at home too, and will buy the ones I enjoyed for the film and the 3D. Cost of blu-ray 3D.

My Regal's regular 3D theaters, horrible 3D projection with plenty of ghosting no matter where you sit for every 3D movie, average brightness/contrast and tinny sound with too much treble. Excluding Imax 3D, this particular theater location is ruining the 3D experience for many 3D audiences.
I haven't been back yet to see if my suggestions to them made a difference.

Local 3D theaters (independent) 3D projectors not calibrated right, with ghosting no matter where you sit for every 3D movie, average brightness/contrast and low volume sound sometimes. Rarely go there.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #120
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I have been very happy with every IMAX and XD showing I've seen. They've always have great calibration and larger screens with better audio. The large AMC and Cinemark chains also have good calibration for RealD 3D. One of the Cinemarks in a dead mall in a town nearby had dim 3D at a show I went to a few years ago. Galveston's smaller Premiere Cinema chain is completely inept, 2D or 3D, with awful light output and cropping scope movies. I can't go there. I think quality mainly depends on local management, but larger chain venues tend to have better quality, and often brands like IMAX and XD will receive more scrupulous and frequent calibration checks.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 11-20-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion