Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K Remastered Edition (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #41
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
For those of you who think OLED's are expensive check out Panasonic's 152" 4K plasma.With features not available on any of their other plasma tv's it sales for $500,000.Plasma is not dead, but costs nore than OLED in bigger screen sizes.
Now see, why the hell even build that? No wonder Panasonic is in financial trouble! Geez what a waste of resources.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that is extra scary to me because there is a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." -- Mitch Hedberg
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
lghaze42 lghaze42 is offline
Senior Member
 
lghaze42's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
23
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Now see, why the hell even build that? No wonder Panasonic is in financial trouble! Geez what a waste of resources.
They only build one when it is sold.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #43
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
They only build one when it is sold.
Well duh! I should have realized that!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that is extra scary to me because there is a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." -- Mitch Hedberg
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Expert Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
236
14
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
For those of you who think OLED's are expensive check out Panasonic's 152" 4K plasma.With features not available on any of their other plasma tv's it sales for $500,000.Plasma is not dead, but costs nore than OLED in bigger screen sizes.
in all fairness though, the 55" oled from lg is 10k...this is 3x the size almost w/ 4x the resolution.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
MasterSandman MasterSandman is offline
Active Member
 
MasterSandman's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
18
197
5
Send a message via MSN to MasterSandman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
in all fairness though, the 55" oled from lg is 10k...this is 3x the size almost w/ 4x the resolution.
I read that Samsung and LG have faced problems while developing their OLED displays and Panasonic could team up with Sony to create one. It looks like Panasonic will stop trying to improve the displays but continue to produce them...I can't see OLED displays being affordable by next year. I guess we'll see.

Link
TV: Panasonic TC-P55VT60
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-920-K
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT230
Speakers: Omage X100 (x2), Omage TC5, JBL SP-150 subwoofer
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #46
Pondosinatra Pondosinatra is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pondosinatra's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
21
2
Default

Actually I remember Sony coming out with an OLED display what seems like ages ago. It was super small - 24"??? - and super expensive. I remember a big deal being made out of it by all the Sound & Vision type mags back then.

As far as I know nothing was put out by them since.

The technology simply isn't feasible otherwise the technology would be common place today.
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #47
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Gilead
31
476
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I've often wondered just what ARE the monumental advantages of OLED over the top of the line plasmas that all manufacturers are so keen to jump on board to develop? Yes I know they're thinner and I assume they consume less energy. However what about off angle viewing, motion resolution, black levels, image retention, etc? Are they a lot cheaper to manufacture? Do they somehow produce more accurate color? Why is this technology so highly regarded?
Their advantage is...everything. Infinite angle, perfect motion resolution, zero concept black levels, etc.

I remember ten years ago checking out the amazing 61" PureVision plasma from Pioneer and it was CDN$11,000!!!! Now you can get a 60" GT50 plasma for 1/10th of that.

Ten years from now I'm sure we'll be able to pick up a 60" OLED without breaking the bank that will utterly eviscerate any TV produced today or within the last 30 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Gilead
31
476
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Actually I remember Sony coming out with an OLED display what seems like ages ago. It was super small - 24"??? - and super expensive. I remember a big deal being made out of it by all the Sound & Vision type mags back then.

As far as I know nothing was put out by them since.

The technology simply isn't feasible otherwise the technology would be common place today.
It was 11" I think, had 480 lines of resolution or something DVD-like, and had a lifespan rating of only 30,000 hours I think. Price was $2,500? It was pretty sweet to look at, but you've got to be stupid-rich to have bought one of those.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #49
dmaul1114 dmaul1114 is offline
Special Member
 
Jun 2010
212
176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Their advantage is...everything. Infinite angle, perfect motion resolution, zero concept black levels, etc.

I remember ten years ago checking out the amazing 61" PureVision plasma from Pioneer and it was CDN$11,000!!!! Now you can get a 60" GT50 plasma for 1/10th of that.

Ten years from now I'm sure we'll be able to pick up a 60" OLED without breaking the bank that will utterly eviscerate any TV produced today or within the last 30 years.
Yep. That's the nature of technology.

Heck, I'd be happy just to get the picture of the best plasma with no worries about IR so I can watch ESPN/have it on in the background for hours on end with no worries etc. (something I'll have to stop doing when I get my 55" Panasonic UT50 plasma Monday).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #50
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Expert Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
236
14
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Their advantage is...everything. Infinite angle, perfect motion resolution, zero concept black levels, etc.

I remember ten years ago checking out the amazing 61" PureVision plasma from Pioneer and it was CDN$11,000!!!! Now you can get a 60" GT50 plasma for 1/10th of that.

Ten years from now I'm sure we'll be able to pick up a 60" OLED without breaking the bank that will utterly eviscerate any TV produced today or within the last 30 years.
Agreed. I think im in the perfect time for upgrading tv. OLED and 4k are starting to come out and are bonkers expensive...but in 5-6 years, possibly longer when i decide to upgrade my plasma, oled 4k will prob ably be a bit expensive, but a hell of a lot more affordable than now.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #51
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
It was 11" I think, had 480 lines of resolution or something DVD-like, and had a lifespan rating of only 30,000 hours I think. Price was $2,500? It was pretty sweet to look at, but you've got to be stupid-rich to have bought one of those.
The issue with OLED that I'm not hearing much about is the inherent breakdown of the technology due to it's organic nature. I know sometime back I read that the biggest hurdle manufacturers were going to have with it is to manufacture these displays with acceptable reliability. I'm sure as hell not going to spend thousands on a TV only to have it breakdown in 5 years. Plus with the displays breaking down over time, does that mean the PQ itself slowly degrades over time as well? If they can't get these issues solved...not minimized...solved, then all this new technology is a moot point with me.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that is extra scary to me because there is a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." -- Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Steelmaker; 01-04-2013 at 10:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #52
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Expert Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
236
14
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
The issue with OLED that I'm not hearing much about is the inherent breakdown of the technology due to it's organic nature. I know sometime back I read that the biggest hurdle manufacturers were going to have with it is to manufacture these displays with acceptable reliability. I'm sure as hell not going to spend thousands on a TV only to have it breakdown in 5 years. Plus with the displays breaking down over time, does that mean the PQ itself slowly degrades over time as well? If they can't get these issues solved...not minimized...solved, then all this new technology is a moot point with me.
365 days x 10 hrs a day 3650 * 8 is around 30k hours. i saw someone else post 30k hours is the life span, i watch less than 10 hours of tv a day..but yeah, if hte pic quality breaks down with each diode, that is not acceptable...who wants to invest such money when not only will it die fairly soon, but the quality diminishes as well?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #53
thedarkknight13 thedarkknight13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2013
4
Default

That's a bummer. We just recently went TV shopping and picked up a Samsung Plasma. We considered getting a Panasonic but decided the size wasn't right for out situation. In hindsight I'm glad we got the Samsung. I have been watching on a LCD screen for the last 4 years and I never really liked how bright the screen looked. The Plasma looks much better to my eyes. I did noticed LED screens but the prices were a bit more expensive, I'm assuming by next time I go TV shopping that the Plasma will be gone and LED will be priced down.

Last edited by thedarkknight13; 01-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #54
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Expert Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
236
14
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkknight13 View Post
That's a bummer. We just recently went TV shopping and picked up a Samsung Plasma. We considered getting a Panasonic but decided the size wasn't right for out situation. In hindsight I'm glad we got the Samsung. I have been watching on a LCD screen for the last 4 years and I never really liked how bright the screen looked. The Plasma looks much better to my eyes. I did noticed LED screens but the prices were a bit more expensive, I'm assuming by next time I go TV shopping that the Plasma will be gone and LED will be priced down.
what model samsung did u pick up ?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #55
Clock Clock is offline
Junior Member
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
America
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
The issue with OLED that I'm not hearing much about is the inherent breakdown of the technology due to it's organic nature.
That's why I'm more excited about the crystal LED display.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theat...oled-sets/5578

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxXUtx2RN0
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #56
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Expert Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
236
14
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
pretty cool stuff, i never heard of that display type before.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #57
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Gilead
31
476
7
Default

Plasma displays weren't always rated at 100,000 hours until 1/2 brightness either, by the time we're all buying OLED the lifespan will have increased for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #58
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
pretty cool stuff, i never heard of that display type before.
Yeah this could have real potential. Along with their crystal led technology, Sony is also working on glasses-free 3D. If Sony can release this set with 4K AND glasses-free 3D, holy $hit!!

The thing with Sony though, as much as I love their TV's they have GOT to find a way to get more competitive price wise! Their TV's are nice but their competitors are smoking them on sticker price! And the quality difference just isn't large enough to most consumers to justify spending the extra cash.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that is extra scary to me because there is a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." -- Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Steelmaker; 01-06-2013 at 02:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #59
thedarkknight13 thedarkknight13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2013
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
what model samsung did u pick up ?
Hey,

We ended up getting a Samsung 43" Plasma 450 Series TV. It was to place above our fire place wall mount. Even though it is 720p I think the picture is excellent and sitting back 13 ft we agreed that we couldn't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p 43" and under. The price was amazing and we walked away well under budget.

I'm happy with the decision so far. We already have a Olevia 47'' 1080p LCD TV that we got 4 years ago so we have a couple options at our house and a bigger TV wasn't the main factor in the purchase.

I'm currently looking for a Blu-Ray Player because I want to purchase one next week. My requirements are minimal as all I want is to be able to watch a disc. I'm looking for <$100 price range. I have read good reviews on the Sony Model: BDPS390. If some one good reply or send me a PM regarding choosing a Blue-Ray player I would appreciate it. I left a reply in the "Help" thread without a response yet and time is running out until I go to Best Buy.

Sorry, a little off topic...

Thanks!

Last edited by thedarkknight13; 01-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #60
Blu Doon Blu Doon is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu Doon's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Bettendorf IA
155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkknight13 View Post
Hey,

We ended up getting a Samsung 43" Plasma 450 Series TV. It was to place above our fire place wall mount. Even though it is 720p I think the picture is excellent and sitting back 13 ft we agreed that we couldn't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p 43" and under. The price was amazing and we walked away well under budget.

I'm happy with the decision so far. We already have a Olevia 47'' 1080p LCD TV that we got 4 years ago so we have a couple options at our house and a bigger TV wasn't the main factor in the purchase.

I'm currently looking for a Blu-Ray Player because I want to purchase one next week. My requirements are minimal as all I want is to be able to watch a disc. I'm looking for <$100 price range. I have read good reviews on the Sony Model: BDPS390. If some one good reply or send me a PM regarding choosing a Blue-Ray player I would appreciate it. I left a reply in the "Help" thread without a response yet and time is running out until I go to Best Buy.

Sorry, a little off topic...

Thanks!
nice! I love the 43inch samsung plasmas great bang for the buck! I have one myself 2011 model I will warn you I did have to get the panel replaced a couple of times in the 1st year so I would recommend the extended warranty
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.