Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 min ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #641
Expert Member

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
In regards to the near term…

Well, if I were a betting man, I would bet that new, additional content comes on Blu-ray data discs which will be loaded into the server….if I were a betting man.
We're in an interesting time of transition as it relates to how people get content. You look at the way MS/Sony have positioned themselves w/ the 360/PS3 now delivering all kinds of stuff, and it makes you wonder how things are gonna turn out in the not too distant future. I've a couple of friends who've already dumped their cable/sat subscriptions, and just do everything(certain tv shows-HULU or whatever, etc.) through their gaming console. I don't have any facts/figures/trends to point to, but I thought it was interesting that two people(in different parts of the country who don't even know each other) both cut the cord like that.
"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal gov't, are FEW and DEFINED."-Madison
TV: Mitsubishi WD-82838
DVR: Directv HR44-200
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP-S780
Gaming Consoles: Microsoft Xbox 360 & One
Remote Control: Logitech Harmony One

Last edited by Constitution 101; 01-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #642

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I would LOVE if 4KBD is anamorphic. I don't get why bluray wasn't anamorphic? There's alot of wasted pixels in the bars of 2.35 films. Other ratios too.
It simplifies the hardware decoders if the input/output is all the same. Plus, with modern video codecs, almost no information is needed to compress the black bars. The pixels aren't wasted, since all monitors and projectors are limited in their horizontal pixel count anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #643

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaimasjien. View Post
If a standard like that would be created, of course. You can play a blu-ray on a 4:3 pc monitor right? It'd just mean the resolution of the source image would be higher than your tv can display.

This would be amazing:
1.33:1 = 2873x2160
16:9 = 3840×2160
21:9 = 5040x2160

But if it'd be anamorphic, which would be more likely, everything would just be 3840x2160, which would be corrected to it's OAR.

A format where the total amount of 8,294,400 pixels would just be evenly distributed over the image, without black bars, would be nice too, but that'd be highly unlikely. You'd get resolutions like 4403x1886.
21:9 = 5040x2160 will never happen because digital cinema is scanned in a 17:9 aspect ratio. 2160x4096 is the most resolution you will ever get from a 4K format. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #644

Oct 2007
Nova Scotia, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by (W)KRP View Post

The How-To Geek Guide to Buying an HDTV
1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution)

The Toshiba ZL2 does 4K, but because it's screen is 55" you'd need to sit 5' from the screen to notice a difference and 3' to get the full benefit. Unless you want to put this monitor in your hall, prepare to move your chair WAY up, I mean WTFU.

The How-To Geek Guide to 3D Monitors and TVs

I don't believe this chart...it's definitely not for everyone. Maybe for the average or below average person that doesn't notice much difference between blu-ray and dvd, but for those who notice and small or in my case a huge difference, I would bet all the money in the world that I could easily tell the difference between regular blu-ray and 4K on a 55" screen at 12' back from the screen.
Blu-ray Player: Sony PS3-80G
Blu-ray Discs: 73
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #645
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
...As to The Hobbit, technically, I was hoping to see one of the filmmakers elaborate a bit on my ‘processing’ assertion here…http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ng#post6894679

But apparently, no interviews in that regard have yet been forthcoming, so still waiting on that, especially given all the anecdotal experiences from both ‘cinephiles’ and ‘Joe6packs’ that the initial part of the movie appeared “sped-up”, which I have my doubts is simply a psychological response. Additionally, on another note, the blown highlights were an interesting color correction decision, for I don't believe they are secondary to a deficiency related to the RED cameras themselves.
Some weekend follow-up to the above ^.

Here….. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ng#post6960062
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #646
Power Member

Sep 2007
Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to DealsR4theDevil

Quote:
I really hope the PS4 has 4KBD support. That would boost the 4K market so easily. But i'm sure sony knows this.

And seeing how i'm buying a PS4, i would have at least a player ready to go for when i eventually buy a display in the future.
This would be for me. Not sure which console, if any, I would get next gen but 4k would be the deciding factor. I got my PS3 back in 2007 because of the blu-ray player.

On a side note, even though im excited for 4k ... I dont think I would be buying movies too often this time around. I dont get to watch my blu-rays as often as id like and im only going to get more busy the next few years.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #647
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsR4theDevil View Post
This would be for me. Not sure which console, if any, I would get next gen but 4k would be the deciding factor. I got my PS3 back in 2007 because of the blu-ray player.

On a side note, even though im excited for 4k ... I dont think I would be buying movies too often this time around. I dont get to watch my blu-rays as often as id like and im only going to get more busy the next few years.
Same here, I don't know if 4k will play a role (especially since nothing is known on the next generation consoles) but BD did play a role this generation. But it was not just for BD playback but that for me we needed a higher capacity disk.
maybe but did you buy every movie that came out on DVD when it came out? My guess no, so why does it matter if you had a film on DVD or not or if you had it on VHS or not? As a buyer/collector, every movie I want to watch I buy, there were a lot of films I bought on DVD and did not like them enough to want to re-watch them so I obviously won't re-buy them on BD. There are also a lot of films I bought on BD that I won't re-buy on the next format.... since there will always be films that are not worth re-watching (or even watching once).
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #648

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Same here, I don't know if 4k will play a role (especially since nothing is known on the next generation consoles) but BD did play a role this generation. But it was not just for BD playback but that for me we needed a higher capacity disk.
maybe but did you buy every movie that came out on DVD when it came out? My guess no, so why does it matter if you had a film on DVD or not or if you had it on VHS or not? As a buyer/collector, every movie I want to watch I buy, there were a lot of films I bought on DVD and did not like them enough to want to re-watch them so I obviously won't re-buy them on BD. There are also a lot of films I bought on BD that I won't re-buy on the next format.... since there will always be films that are not worth re-watching (or even watching once).
Agreed. One of my goals going forward is to greatly reduce the amount of blind buys for this very reason. I have a lot of movies on DVD that I haven't upgraded because they aren't watched enough. I keep them around because they are already paid for... As you said, I'm sure there will be blurays I won't upgrade as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #649
Power Member

Sep 2007
Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to DealsR4theDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I dont watch enough to justify purchasing this much. Long term, I would want to see all of my movies again but at least half of them will be out in 4k by the time I feel like rewatching. I think I overestimated Blu-rays lifespan. Im just going to stick to a handful of favorites next format.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #650

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsR4theDevil View Post
...Will this be more of a niche market?
My marketing friends tell me that that determines the height at the end of the ‘Gartner’ graph to the right on this page….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #651

Apr 2007

Quote:
And this point though i'm more looking forward to OLED. Things are not looking too good at the moment though. My true fantasy is for pioneer to return to the display business with a 60" to 80" OLED sets...
In lieu of Pio returning to the display business, reminiscing from almost one year ago…

“A match made in heaven”, e.g. –
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ch#post5810110

Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #652
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
In lieu of Pio returning to the display business, reminiscing from almost one year ago…

Hey brother happy New Years to you and yours. Hope 2013 brings with it perfect health.

As for 4K, I personally am more looking forward to crystal led as I believe (based on very little reading I admit) it is a better solution that seems to be easier to implement for now at least. Though I'm still running a 6-7 years old sxrd and might need an intermediate solution before 4K becomes interesting for me, how can we not be excited by such advances.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #653

Apr 2007

Happy New Years to you too and thanks for the well wishes . “Perfect” may be tough due to the fact I’m somewhat between a rock and a hard place because I badly needed (and received) a transplant but, the *downside* to the whole ordeal is that I have to take anti-rejection medication for the rest of my life and it now turns out that…

I’m somewhat allergic to the dang required medication . Honestly, it seems there is always a new challenge to overcome but I guess that’s what makes life interesting.

Anyway, it’s good to see you embrace new technology because otherwise, it can be quite frustrating ….

Advances are a given, in both the consumer and the pro field, e.g. “which has a brand new sensor, equivalent to 70mm film”….http://cinefii.com/panavisions-new-a...early-details/

Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #654
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

That's a great commercial and reflects reality quite well, It does move so darn fast I actually wonder when I'll be too old to get with the program
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #655
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:

Yes. OLED and 4K would be the holy grail. But the reason i wish it was from pioneer is because they were the only ones who tried to advance PQ. Just because it's OLED doesn't automatically mean a reference picture. The implementation is key. Some manufacturers don't know what they're doing with current sets as far as PQ goes. It will be the same for OLED.

And that commercial was freaking hilarious.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #656
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Yes. OLED and 4K would be the holy grail. But the reason i wish it was from pioneer is because they were the only ones who tried to advance PQ. Just because it's OLED doesn't automatically mean a reference picture. The implementation is key. Some manufacturers don't know what they're doing with current sets as far as PQ goes. It will be the same for OLED.

And that commercial was freaking hilarious.
You don't think that Panasonic is doing a good job since the last line (and the new one just announced)? I know Kuro was ahead by so much, but unfortunately not every one could afford those prices (or the equivalent today)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #657
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
You don't think that Panasonic is doing a good job since the last line (and the new one just announced)? I know Kuro was ahead by so much, but unfortunately not every one could afford those prices (or the equivalent today)
Yes they are. But everything seems to be moving at a snails pace. The kuro technology is about 5 years old now and nothing beats it in all PQ areas. Some come close, match it in one area, beat it in another, but none has a clear advantage in everything. And we're talking 5 years here. Jeez.

Last edited by saprano; 01-08-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #658
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

At sony's press conference they said 4K blurays are coming this spring, but no mention if it's a new format or current disc.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #659
Banned

May 2008
Bay Area ,CA

Quote:
At sony's press conference they said 4K blurays are coming this spring, but no mention if it's a new format or current disc.
yea but 4k tvs are going to cost
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #660
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008

Quote:
Read the press release here, and then read this to see why this isn't a big deal at all.

They're still 1080p, and the films announced so far already have BDs that come from 4K masters. This is just "Superbit Blu-ray," if even that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology