COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Terror Train (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
TerrorVision / The Video Dead (Blu-ray)
$11.49
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #141
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Not quite sure, I think a quicker pace maybe?? I think slow pace and too many slooooooow motion shots turned me off. Storyline was good and so was the acting.

Ian B
I was thinking about the slower pace at times also, which goes with the theme of the "Slow Motion potion", and though I still enjoy the film, I see what you're saying about a faster pace to help make the film feel more exciting.

One other improvement I think might be worth seeing, would be adding more serious challenges for Dredd to amp up the danger a notch, similar to the scene where
[Show spoiler] they fire at him with the gattling guns and he has to crawl after running to avoid the shots. That really pushed his character, so he wasn't always standing vertical and made him break a sweat for a change, the first time he wasn't really in control of the situation.

Dredd reminds me of RoboCop, who is mainly a vertical character, almost like Swarzenegger's Terminator. When he's attacked, he can take cover, but most of the time won't feel the need to jump for cover. Dredd is usually always in control, and one step ahead of the enemies, so the audience rarely feels he's in major danger against the common citizens. The twist at the end
[Show spoiler]with the Judges added a better challenge for him.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #142
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

the pace was too slow???? were we watching the same movie? i mean a flick can always have faster pacing, but i think dredd was paced just fine. i was never bored or drifting.

peeps around here might want to increase the dosage on their adhd meds.

kidding.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.

Last edited by poke smot; 01-10-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #143

Nov 2008
Cedar Park, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke smot View Post
the pace was too slow???? were we watching the same movie? i mean a flick can always have faster pacing, but i think dredd was paced just fine. i was never bored or drifting.

peeps around here might want to increase the dosage on their adhd meds.

kidding.
Lol. Different strokes for different folks.

Ian B
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #144

May 2009
Southern CA

I really enjoyed this movie but the 3D is not good imo, had to switch to 2D after about 40 minutes in and was enjoying it much more.
My HT in bedroom:
TV: LG 3D 55'' LW5600
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT310
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-9040TXH
Speakers: Center: Energy RC-LCR / Front: Energy RC-10 / Surround: Energy C-50
Sub: Rythmik LV12R
Amplifier: Emotiva UPA-5
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #145
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
In theaters, no, I didn't see anything go past any black borders, but that would have been nice.
I saw that when I saw it theatrically in 3D. It's only one shot and the aspect ratio actually changed subtly to accomodate the effect. I know because I was looking for it when I saw it in theaters as I'd seen a 2D clip of the same scene with the same effect of the blood over black matte bar.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-10-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #146
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I saw that when I saw it theatrically in 3D. It's only one shot and the aspect ratio actually changed subtly to accomodate the effect. I know because I was looking for it when I saw it in theaters as I'd seen a 2D clip of the same scene with the same effect of the blood over black matte bar.
Glad to hear it was actually in the theatrical experience. It would definitely add maximum negative-parallax potential for the 3D Stereoscopic image which would look to appear in front of the screen plane like it is hitting the audience.
Black bars are one of the most effective tools that can be used for a 2.40:1 aspect ratio features for pop-out illusion. Might as well take advantage of them. Most people have seen the results with the popular "Despicable Me 2" trailer where the one-eyed minion blows on a party-favor that goes out over the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDropCode1 View Post
I really enjoyed this movie but the 3D is not good imo, had to switch to 2D after about 40 minutes in and was enjoying it much more.
I viewed the movie a third time, this time using a discrete 3D - separate R&L image device. Every scene/view reveals 100%- 3D separation a-la native-3D. But when using my active 3D set, some scenes looked flat, the only reason I can think of is that discrete 3D gives every illusion full mastery.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #147
Special Member

Aug 2011

Video quality wasn't that great. The film grain got annoying, so it took a while to get use to. The grain was different for the left/right eyes, so even it looked 3D. It made the film look too soft and a little blurry. I understand that is the effect they were after. It is a good movie with pretty sweet 3D shots, however.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #148
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Video quality wasn't that great. The film grain got annoying, so it took a while to get use to. The grain was different for the left/right eyes, so even it looked 3D. It made the film look too soft and a little blurry. I understand that is the effect they were after. It is a good movie with pretty sweet 3D shots, however.
It's not film grain but video noise and it is most prevalent in the low light scenes. So it's not so much an intended effect as simply a limitation of the cameras used.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #149
Expert Member

Jan 2012

watched it yesterday....to me its a mixed bag! 3D consistentcy was varying wildly. I was not overly impressed with the slowmo shots but they were cool. I usually hate that aspect ratio for 3D but on my 150" screen i am beginning to enjoy scope format.

The story and acting were good....much better purchase than the crappy Resident Evil.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #150
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I viewed the movie a third time, this time using a discrete 3D - separate R&L image device. Every scene/view reveals 100%- 3D separation a-la native-3D. But when using my active 3D set, some scenes looked flat, the only reason I can think of is that discrete 3D gives every illusion full mastery.
Sounds good. That is a nice option to enhance the flatter shots with your RL 3D Device. Is it also hooked up to your 3DTV or separate projection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
It's not film grain but video noise and it is most prevalent in the low light scenes. So it's not so much an intended effect as simply a limitation of the cameras used.
Glad you mentioned the video quality. Video noise and color bleeding into the dark seemed to be common at times based on the video-like footage with certain camera shots as you mentioned.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #151

Oct 2012

Watched Dredd last night and through the whole movie all I could think was that there was no way he could see through that stupid helmet.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #152

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Watched it last night and IMO, the slow mo effect was overused. I am with the other members that it affected the flow of the movie.

The 3d was okay but I prefer 3D movies in 16:9, I get more immersed into the movie with this aspect. Some of the 3D effects were cool but I prefer the depth you get in 16:9 with my setup.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #153
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
Watched it last night and IMO, the slow mo effect was overused. I am with the other members that it affected the flow of the movie.
In defense I have to say that the slow motion effect was used only in the scenes of illegal slo mo use. More details in my post#759 on the Dredd 3D (2012) - Jan. 22, 2013 Pre-order thread.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #154

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
In defense I have to say that the slow motion effect was used only in the scenes of illegal slo mo use. More details in my post#759 on the Dredd 3D (2012) - Jan. 22, 2013 Pre-order thread.

Paul
I am glad you enjoyed that effect but I still didn't like it but I can see your point of view. While watching the movie I understood the slo mo drug and really didn't have to see it from that point of view. I bought the movie thinking it would be amazing after reading all the reviews here, even one where they said it was better than Avengers. Yeah right. But everyone has their opinions.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #155
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
I am glad you enjoyed that effect but I still didn't like it but I can see your point of view. While watching the movie I understood the slo mo drug and really didn't have to see it from that point of view. I bought the movie thinking it would be amazing after reading all the reviews here, even one where they said it was better than Avengers. Yeah right. But everyone has their opinions.
Just for a change they should have shot the whole movie in slow mo...it would not have felt any different in terms of current pacing

That helmet comment is hilarious

All in all I feel I have wasted my money on this and Resident evil.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #156
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
While watching the movie I understood the slo mo drug and really didn't have to see it from that point of view...... everyone has their opinions.
Agreed. FYI: My son has the same opinion about the movie having too many slow motion scenes as you, but I sure liked them.

Paul
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #157

Jun 2012

Just an FYI redbox has the 3D/2D combo disc available for rent,
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #158
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Kansas

Watched it yesterday thought it was great.
Epson 5010 on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580
Sony PS3 and PS4
DirecTV HR24
Yamaha RX-V567
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Some cheap Yamaha's
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW315
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #159
Power Member

Aug 2007
USA

Reading the comments here and in other threads, it appears many more people liked it than didn't. I find that telling enough. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully a sequel expanding the universe comes as a result of BD sales.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #160
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sounds good. That is a nice option to enhance the flatter shots with your RL 3D Device. Is it also hooked up to your 3DTV or separate projection?
Speaking of "enhancing the flatter shots", have to say that a component that has truly spoiled me and that I find I cannot watch 3D movies without some-kind of disappointment on any of the capable 3D displays/PCs I have, is optimizing the curve with the additional Darbee visual presence that I have mentioned in a couple of other threads here in the past. It enhances realistic depth on any 3D source I use. IMO, It needs to become an internal accessory on every future 3D display rig. I have it permanently set on "Full POP" @ 40% for 3D viewing, which I find produces spectacular 3D depth enhancement without noticeable added picture artifacting. It has become essential for any optimum 3D rendering.

Have three units, one for each HDMI source I own. The units are that effective!

Getting back to the movie, the native-3D Dredd creates all the visual information necessary which sets it among the best native-3D movies I own and not hesitating to say that the video data present with the special effects puts it in the same 3D immersive league as Hugo, and I personally find the story more entertaining.

Paul

Last edited by Paul H; 01-12-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added: "optimizing the curve"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies