Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2008
Default Audio Sync Issue in 3D/Non Game Mode

Hey all. I recently got a new TV (Vizio E3D470vx) and for the most part I quite like it. However a small issue has come up regarding the use of my surround sound setup/receiver.

This isn't one of those "why can't I see 3D" posts; I knew ahead of time my receiver could not pass through a 3D signal and made the switch to an optical cable for sound, with the HDMI going straight into the TV. This works splendidly for the most part - obviously I don't get lossless sound but I've never really been able to tell the difference so it's no big loss to me.

The problem is that, when watching 3D content, the sound goes ever-so-slightly out of sync with the image, playing a fraction of a second too early. Normally it's not really a problem, but for fast, sudden sound effects - an axe chopping wood, for example - it gets to be quite distracting for me.

From what I've determined, it has to do with extra time the TV is taking to process and display the image that the receiver doesn't need to take for the sound. I had read that "Game Mode" improves response time for the TV and had it on already for most applications, and there are no sound sync issues then. Trying 2D video with Game Mode off revealed the same sync issue as in 3D. Sadly, Game Mode is not available in 3D, so I'm stuck with the sync issue. Feeding the audio into the TV through HDMI and using optical out from the TV to the receiver removes this issue, but I can only get stereo that way.

What I'm wondering is: has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it? Would getting a receiver with 3D passthrough help, or is it just a problem that will always exist because of the extra time the TV apparently needs to produce the image?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion