Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
12 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
5 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
18 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California
Default Decision Between Two HDTVs

I need some help on deciding if I should return my Samsung UN46EH6000 (46") for an LG 50LS4000 (50").

The Samsung is great except for two big things: The poor off-angle viewing and the automatic brightness that's on every picture mode except movie mode.

I've already dimmed the backlight as much as I can to help the off-angle viewing and the TV is always in movie mode with the eco sensors off. I've been to countless forums and have most likely done every combination of settings possible and I still don't like the PQ on movie mode and can't stand the constant changing of brightness on any other mode.

Does anyone have the LG 50LS4000? Will I have the same problems I'm having with the Samsung or other ones that will drive me nuts?

I'd like to know soon since my receipt from Target will expire the beginning of February. Your help is much appreciated.
Evil Spelled Backwards is Live

My Recently Watched is Seen in Theaters and My Recently Rated is Recently Watched
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California

156 views and no one can comment?

Is the LG just so new that there's barely anyone who owns it who lurks in these forums?

I had a hard time finding reviews for it and what I did find was a bunch of generic "great deal" reviews from Average Joes on Wal-Mart and BestBuy.com.

Can anyone help me out here?

The sale on the LG only runs until Saturday (1/5) and I want to get this problem solved so I can finally enjoy my movies in peace!

My Recently Watched is Seen in Theaters and My Recently Rated is Recently Watched
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Dont feel so bad. Not alot of people on here own a Sony HX750 either. If the Samsung is not to your likeing then go with the LG.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California

I went with the LG 47LS4500 and now I'm just going to take both TVs back.
The LG has a terrible speaker and can't handle motion on the screen as well as the Samsung.

I'm afraid that after all of Samsung's problems that they are still the best choice although I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

I'm really regretting buying myself something nice for my birthday and am considering going back to my old 32" Vizio since I never had a single problem with it. Yes, I will miss a big screen but at least I will be able to enjoy what I'm watching and not distracted by poor PQ or shifting brightness.

For now, I can definitely say that TVs have yet to be perfected and the technology still has a long way to go.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
For now, I can definitely say that TVs have yet to be perfected and the technology still has a long way to go.
I own a Pioneer Kuro, and that statement doesn't hold water. I understand if the cost is holding you back from the better sets out there, but the technology is there; it's the value that's lacking.

Panasonic and Sony make marvelous sets. If you don't think they're worth it, OK...but the technology is there, and it isn't more expensive that what you already purchased, and returned.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Go plasma.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I own a Pioneer Kuro, and that statement doesn't hold water.
There's no way I could spend $5K on a TV. That's ridiculous. Although we can swap jobs if you'd like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I understand if the cost is holding you back from the better sets out there, but the technology is there; it's the value that's lacking.

Panasonic and Sony make marvelous sets. If you don't think they're worth it, OK...but the technology is there, and it isn't more expensive that what you already purchased, and returned.
I haven't heard a good thing about a Sony product in a long time - especially their TVs (at least the ones below $2K). Now, Panasonic, I may give a try if Vizio fails me. Can you recommend a good model number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Go plasma.
I'm serious. I don't want a very fragile TV that will be worthless if for instance, someone slams a door in my house or a garbage truck drives by. Blu-Dog may be right about the Panasonic but as good as a plasma looks, I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that fragile. Babies are more durable than plasmas.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
There's no way I could spend $5K on a TV. That's ridiculous. Although we can swap jobs if you'd like?
Ditto! You can buy two very nice Panasonic 50" HDTVs for 5 grand, and still have money left over.

Quote:
I'm serious. I don't want a very fragile TV that will be worthless if for instance, someone slams a door in my house or a garbage truck drives by. Blu-Dog may be right about the Panasonic but as good as a plasma looks, I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that fragile. Babies are more durable than plasmas.
Once you get the unit situated permanently, you don't have to worry about the screen getting damaged. Now if you decide to move TV around the room frequently, you just have to be extremely careful when you're handling it, which you shouldn't have to do anyway... As a matter of fact, all HDTV screens are delicate and are subjected to breakage, not only plasmas if they're being mishandled, or abused.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-11-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Jul 2009

Quote:
For what its worth, we had 2 plasma Tv's at one point in at our old house. One was on a stand and one was mounted in our bedroom (got a mount for $20 at a discount store and installed it myself). Our house was about 200 feet or so away from the train tracks and never had an issue with either set. In the 5 years we were at that house we must have moved the 42" 12 times trying out different configurations and doing renovations before mounting it in our bedroom. The 46" we have was in the house for about a year or so and we moved it around 5 times when we were doing another renovation (walls and floors). We've since sold the house and have been at 3 different addresses in the past year alone. That TV has travelled a huge distance and no issues. works great.

how precarious/unstable is the area where you have your TV?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue11 View Post
For what its worth, we had 2 plasma Tv's at one point in at our old house. One was on a stand and one was mounted in our bedroom (got a mount for $20 at a discount store and installed it myself). Our house was about 200 feet or so away from the train tracks and never had an issue with either set. In the 5 years we were at that house we must have moved the 42" 12 times trying out different configurations and doing renovations before mounting it in our bedroom. The 46" we have was in the house for about a year or so and we moved it around 5 times when we were doing another renovation (walls and floors). We've since sold the house and have been at 3 different addresses in the past year alone. That TV has travelled a huge distance and no issues. works great.

how precarious/unstable is the area where you have your TV?
Right now it would just be sitting on top of my cabinets/dresser but hopefully I will be moving to another apartment soon but then it would just be on a tv stand.
I just want a good TV that I don't have to be super careful around or worry about when any of the two warranties are close to being up. I've had many people tell me that a plasma doesn't last long and if I'm dropping $700+ I want that TV to last.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
That's a weird thing to say

Quote:
Right now it would just be sitting on top of my cabinets/dresser but hopefully I will be moving to another apartment soon but then it would just be on a tv stand.
I just want a good TV that I don't have to be super careful around or worry about when any of the two warranties are close to being up. I've had many people tell me that a plasma doesn't last long and if I'm dropping $700+ I want that TV to last.
I have owned 5 LCD panels, which I still have 3 of them, and own a plasma. Plasmas are no more or less durable than LCD tv's. Why would you pay attention to propaganda spread by average consumers that wouldn't know their arse from their elbow?
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I've had many people tell me that a plasma doesn't last long and if I'm dropping $700+ I want that TV to last.
This is false! No HDTV is going to last forever when it's being played on a daily basis, for long durations of time whether if it's a plasma, LCD, and LED, etc. It doesn't matter.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-12-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Special Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I have owned 5 LCD panels, which I still have 3 of them, and own a plasma. Plasmas are no more or less durable than LCD tv's. Why would you pay attention to propaganda spread by average consumers that wouldn't know their arse from their elbow?
I don't consider it propaganda when I've been told by people I know and trust that the technology is fragile and expensive which is not a good combination, in my book. I'm not going to be moving the TV around every day but I plan to hook it up in my present apartment and then my next apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
This is false! No HDTV is going to last forever when it's being played on a daily basis, for long durations of time whether if it's a plasma, LCD, and LED, etc. It doesn't matter.
I know this but I'd expect it to last at least a couple years, especially if I'm paying out of my a$$ for it. Nobody wants to buy something that's high in price that'll only last a short while.
I don't make a lot of money but the one thing in this world that keeps me sane is my movies and if I can't have them looking their best, then I don't know what.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2007
USA

Quote:
I don't consider it propaganda when I've been told by people I know and trust that the technology is fragile and expensive which is not a good combination, in my book. I'm not going to be moving the TV around every day but I plan to hook it up in my present apartment and then my next apartment.

I know this but I'd expect it to last at least a couple years, especially if I'm paying out of my a$$ for it. Nobody wants to buy something that's high in price that'll only last a short while.
I don't make a lot of money but the one thing in this world that keeps me sane is my movies and if I can't have them looking their best, then I don't know what.
Chalk me up as another one who feels you were severely misinformed. Bamboozled.

Anyway, looks like you made up your mind. Good luck to you.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #15

Feb 2010
Beaverton, OR
Send a message via MSN to Robert De Niro

Quote:
I haven't heard a good thing about a Sony product in a long time - especially their TVs (at least the ones below $2K).
The Sony HX850 tv is the highest rated LED of the year. Do some research. I bought mine(46 inch) day after Christmas for $1600 and i love it. Perfect picture quality, especially with blu-ray and perfect for gaming with no noticable input lag. It's an amazing TV.
Samsung LN40B750 40" 1080p 240 Hz LCD HDTV
Sony STR-DN1000 7.1 AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Disc Player
Microsoft Xbox 360
Polk Audio RT 2000i (fronts)
Mirage OS3-CC-HGB (center)
Klipsch VB-15 (rears)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #16

Jan 2013

Quote:
I went with the LG 47LS4500 and now I'm just going to take both TVs back.
The LG has a terrible speaker and can't handle motion on the screen as well as the Samsung.

I'm afraid that after all of Samsung's problems that they are still the best choice although I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

I'm really regretting buying myself something nice for my birthday and am considering going back to my old 32" Vizio since I never had a single problem with it. Yes, I will miss a big screen but at least I will be able to enjoy what I'm watching and not distracted by poor PQ or shifting brightness.

Im new here and i see your a senior so i guess you probably know this but to your statement about the LG not handling motion on screen as well... could it be you had TruMotion on?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

Jan 2013

Quote:
I need some help on deciding if I should return my Samsung UN46EH6000 (46") for an LG 50LS4000 (50").

The Samsung is great except for two big things: The poor off-angle viewing and the automatic brightness that's on every picture mode except movie mode.

I've already dimmed the backlight as much as I can to help the off-angle viewing and the TV is always in movie mode with the eco sensors off. I've been to countless forums and have most likely done every combination of settings possible and I still don't like the PQ on movie mode and can't stand the constant changing of brightness on any other mode.

Does anyone have the LG 50LS4000? Will I have the same problems I'm having with the Samsung or other ones that will drive me nuts?

I'd like to know soon since my receipt from Target will expire the beginning of February. Your help is much appreciated.
I have the 50LS400 and overall happy with it. Off-angle isnt great either but i don't care much i always sit right in front of the TV. Just make sure you turn TruMotion off unless you watch live HD broadcast like sport otherwise it makes ghosting/artifact.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
What HDTVs doesn't last 2 years? If it's been purchased brand new, the TV should still be under manufacturer's warranty, if something goes wrong with it. I don't know about the other brands but, Panasonics are very good, reliable TVs! I had mines for 3 years, and its still work perfect, and have a beautiful picture. Everyone will recommend Panasonic!

Last edited by slimdude; 01-12-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #19

Jan 2011
British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrob View Post
Chalk me up as another one who feels you were severely misinformed. Bamboozled.

Anyway, looks like you made up your mind. Good luck to you.
Count me in as another person who feels the same way ... Maybe you need to do some research on your own instead of relying on "people you trust" because as Irrob said, you have been severely misinformed about the technology.
Display: Sony KDL-46V5100
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-BX59
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1325-K
Speakers: Front: Klipsch RF-82, Centre: Klipsch RC-52, Surround: Klipsch RB-61
Subs: Klipsch RW-12D X 2 & RPW-10
Remote: Logitech Harmony 900 RF
Power Conditioner: Ethereal ESP602R Power Manager 2000
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek_t View Post
Count me in as another person who feels the same way ... Maybe you need to do some research on your own instead of relying on "people you trust" because as Irrob said, you have been severely misinformed about the technology.
Agreed and if Plasma was such a fragile tech, specialized sites would be all over it. You might believe your friends but I would question where they got their info. Otherwise what's the point of asking here, where people are way better informed than the average Joe, we read everything there is about the tech, may are even experts.

Oh and while not everyone has the same means, $700 will not get you in the best performers class, depending on size, but if you can stretch a bit why not go with a proven winner the Panasonic TC-P50ST50 or in your range the Panasonic TC-P50UT50. I suggest you go read real reviews about them. With so many plasma owners here, if the tech sucked believe me you would have read it here IMO
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs