Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Default Sony BDP s390

Wondering if anyone has one of these yet and could offer a review, I believe they came out last month as a replacement for the 380. I'm looking for a good entry level player, the 370 is now passe but had what I wanted including an optical output which the 380 does not have.
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

May 2009
Default Getting Mine Next Week

I just ordered the BDPS390 last night March 6th and should receive it early next week. It looks like a pretty loaded unit for just $130 at Best Buy. So I am hopeful the built-in wireless works well. And it should load discs faster than my old BDPS 350. Stay tuned.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakadog View Post
I just ordered the BDPS390 last night March 6th and should receive it early next week. It looks like a pretty loaded unit for just $130 at Best Buy. So I am hopeful the built-in wireless works well. And it should load discs faster than my old BDPS 350. Stay tuned.
Thanks Chak. I did pick up the Samsung d5700 last night, so far so good except I can't get my Harmony remote to respond in the same way it did to the Sony BX-1 I had. The Samsung has wifi and the optical audio I needed. I think the newer players are going away from optical, for obvious reasons (HDMI). But for now, I can't afford to replace my Yamaha receiver that won't except HDMI, only optical. Anyway, still quite interested in how you find the BDPS390...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #4

Mar 2012

I recently returned the Samsung BD-E5700 and replaced it with the Sony s390. So far, it is the best decision I have made.

I bought a Blu-ray player primarily so my fiancee could stream Netflix into our bedroom in HD. The Samsung was ridiculously slow to start up the Netflix app (over 2 minutes at times), slow to connect to the Netflix account (2 minutes), and slow to resume streaming a program that I had started watching (1.5 minutes). The Wii we were using was faster than that! Additionally, through an error on the part of Samsung, the E5700 is erroneously listed as coming with a "fully optimized web browser;" several calls to Samsung later, the E5700 does NOT come with a browser. The next model up (E5900) reportedly does.

The Sony is compact, relatively easy to set up, and loads much faster. I also paid $30 less for it than the Samsung. I do feel that the wifi on the Samsung was better as far as receiving a stable signal; the Sony wifi has a tendency to fluctuate quite a bit. It took 4 tries to update the software because it kept saying that connection to the server was getting interrupted.

I also wanted to be able to watch media files off of a 320GB USB 3.0 HDD. On the Samsung, the video would stutter. It was never severe enough to stop watching, but it got very annoying very quickly. Using the same HDD and same video files, the Sony plays them flawlessly. And, while not directly advertised, the Sony actually does come with a web browser. It is admittedly the same crappy browser as the PS3; supposedly a basic USB keyboard can be used with the s390. I have not tested that, but using the remote to type something lengthy is soul numbingly awful.

All in all, I am very much liking the Sony. I love the Samsung LCD TV I just purchased, but their Blu-ray players, in my experience, leave a lot to be desired.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #5

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKage View Post
I recently returned the Samsung BD-E5700 and replaced it with the Sony s390. So far, it is the best decision I have made.

I bought a Blu-ray player primarily so my fiancee could stream Netflix into our bedroom in HD. The Samsung was ridiculously slow to start up the Netflix app (over 2 minutes at times), slow to connect to the Netflix account (2 minutes), and slow to resume streaming a program that I had started watching (1.5 minutes). The Wii we were using was faster than that! Additionally, through an error on the part of Samsung, the E5700 is erroneously listed as coming with a "fully optimized web browser;" several calls to Samsung later, the E5700 does NOT come with a browser. The next model up (E5900) reportedly does.

The Sony is compact, relatively easy to set up, and loads much faster. I also paid $30 less for it than the Samsung. I do feel that the wifi on the Samsung was better as far as receiving a stable signal; the Sony wifi has a tendency to fluctuate quite a bit. It took 4 tries to update the software because it kept saying that connection to the server was getting interrupted.

I also wanted to be able to watch media files off of a 320GB USB 3.0 HDD. On the Samsung, the video would stutter. It was never severe enough to stop watching, but it got very annoying very quickly. Using the same HDD and same video files, the Sony plays them flawlessly. And, while not directly advertised, the Sony actually does come with a web browser. It is admittedly the same crappy browser as the PS3; supposedly a basic USB keyboard can be used with the s390. I have not tested that, but using the remote to type something lengthy is soul numbingly awful.

All in all, I am very much liking the Sony. I love the Samsung LCD TV I just purchased, but their Blu-ray players, in my experience, leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks for the info, sounds like you're enjoying the Sony. I'm not streaming or using the USB at this point on the Samsung, but that may change. I found that loading blu-rays was slow at best, but did a new firmware update last week that seems to have sped things up. A lot of the different brands I looked at seemed "cheap" in regards to weight, build quality, etc., and the Samsung is no exception. When the drawer opens, it sounds like someone just sat down on a bag of walnuts.

Does your new Sony have an optical audio output?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKage View Post
supposedly a basic USB keyboard can be used with the s390. I have not tested that, but using the remote to type something lengthy is soul numbingly awful.
The bad keyboard interface was the reason that I almost brought my S390 back to the store. Then I installed Sony's Media Remote app to my Android device. Now I use the Android keyboard to type text into the browser or any search window. You can switch seamlessly between the provided remote and the Android remote app. It's really nice.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #7

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Does your new Sony have an optical audio output?
The BDP-S390 does not have optical audio output.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCarl View Post
The BDP-S390 does not have optical audio output.
Thanks for the info Q....
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #9

Mar 2012
Default need help pls!

Hi guys,

I bought the Sony sdc-390s last week and I am having some problems with it...

1- I canít watch some movies in the DVD USB. I receive a msg with something like this ď File is corrupt.Ē The files are AVI and work perfectly in my computer. For some files it is working perfectly.

2- Subtitles arenít working. I tried AVI and MKV files with SRT subtitle with the same name.

Anyone else have these problems? Anyone can help me?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

Nov 2009
US

I've had this for a week and it plays discs well but I'm having problems with netflix. A lot of disney channel shows and various movies audio doesn't work. I've reported the problem to netflix and have tried 2 different hdmi cables but no luck. I also have a sony mini dvd camcorder which I use sonys' dvd rewritable discs and those won't play either. :/ You would think products of the same brand would be more in tune with each other but they work on my s360. So there's a little bit of insight for ya there. Also if anyone has any ideas on how to fix these issues or I might just have to return it and buy something else sigh.

ok so I've fixed the issues. everything works now. i just had to change the the audio setting on netflix to stereo instead of dolby 5.1 :/ and the mini discs have to to be "finalized" before it'll play in the player.

Last edited by lostdiadam; 06-25-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #11

Aug 2012
SoCal

Took delivery of the BDP-S390 from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $108.

So far, so good... Wish it could play my Region 2 DVDs, but it can't, so I need to keep my region-hacked Phillips DVD player around...

Last edited by bmwracer; 08-16-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Polishedpants

Default Bdps390 user manual

Hey , does anyone know where i can get hold of a user manual ?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishedpants View Post
Hey , does anyone know where i can get hold of a user manual ?

Thanks
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...P-S390/manuals
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Polishedpants

Thumbs up thankyou

much appreciated
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #15

Dec 2012
Minnesnowta

I just bought one for 89 bucks at best buy. I didn't read enough on the region free discs, and I am trying to figure out how to buy international ones and make them play on my player..
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #16

May 2009
Macon, Georgia

Got this player a week before Christmas for $89. Best investment I have made. It replaced a still working Samsung 1500. I am enjoying all the apps that it has. Plays all my discs, bluray and dvd.

Great machine, Just couldn't believe how lightweight the machine is.

Doug
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #17

Sep 2012

I currently have the BDP-S550 where I had used the Harmony remote to unlock for multi-region DVD playback. Can I use this same method to unlock the S390?
(I am only interested in multi-region DVD playback)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #18

Jan 2013

I'm looking for a USB flash drive that's compatible with my Sony BDP-S390 player. I had a 500GB WD Hard Drive that didn't work at NTSF, so I reformatted to FAT32 and it was slow/only was recognized sometimes, but rarely.

I've decided I would prefer a USB drive instead to keep things simple. Problem is that I am having the toughest time figuring out if a specific flash drive is pre-formatted to FAT32 or NTFS. I tend to like SanDisk drives but neither amazon or the SanDisk website list the format of the drive. Best-case scenario would be a 64GB USB flash drive that is formatted as FAT32 so I can use it with the blu-ray player.

Anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions on how to figure out how the drive is pre-formatted or have any positive history with specific flash drives? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #19

Jan 2013
Default Problem with Sondy BDP- S390 Blu-Ray Player

I just bought the Sony BDP-S390. I have an older receiver that does not have an HDMI port. It does have both optical and a digital coaxial port. This is the main reason I bought the Sony. I connected the digital coaxial out from the Sony to my Sony Receiver. Everything works fine except when playing Blu-Ray DVD's. The audio for all trailers on the Blu-Rays comes out in Dolby Digital but when the movie starts, there is NO sound at all. I was able to change the setting to PCM, but that is not Dolby Digital. What's the deal? I had a Sony Playstation with a Blu-Ray and it worked fine. Any Blu-Ray would play in Dolby Digital. The BDP-S390 plays normal non Blu-Ray DVD's in Dolby Digital, just not the Blu-Ray's. I know my Blu-Ray says both DTS and Dolby Digital. I always thought the Blu-Ray Player would output Dolby Digital if it didn't detect DTS. This is what the Sony Playstation does, but not the BDP-S390. Anyone know how to fix this issue?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #20

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
I just bought the Sony BDP-S390. I have an older receiver that does not have an HDMI port. It does have both optical and a digital coaxial port. This is the main reason I bought the Sony. I connected the digital coaxial out from the Sony to my Sony Receiver. Everything works fine except when playing Blu-Ray DVD's. The audio for all trailers on the Blu-Rays comes out in Dolby Digital but when the movie starts, there is NO sound at all. I was able to change the setting to PCM, but that is not Dolby Digital. What's the deal? I had a Sony Playstation with a Blu-Ray and it worked fine. Any Blu-Ray would play in Dolby Digital. The BDP-S390 plays normal non Blu-Ray DVD's in Dolby Digital, just not the Blu-Ray's. I know my Blu-Ray says both DTS and Dolby Digital. I always thought the Blu-Ray Player would output Dolby Digital if it didn't detect DTS. This is what the Sony Playstation does, but not the BDP-S390. Anyone know how to fix this issue?
Select Bitstream from the player(Audio Settings DD/DTS).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders