COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #161
Elvis Is Alive Elvis Is Alive is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2008
Nicholasville Ky USA Earth
1001
13
Default

My 60" XBR2 still going strong on 2nd bulb with no color uniformity issues as of yet. Purchased in March 2007 with a build date of Dec 2006. I also have a 67" Samsung LED DLP also.
Blu-ray addict
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #162
JOHN MFN D. JOHN MFN D. is offline
Active Member
 
JOHN MFN D.'s Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The Fort
16
202
2
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
But you don't even have an SXRD.....

My good friend has 1 and I've alway thought it was a pretty damn good tv. I actually helped him tweek it with my DVE disc.
Panasonic TC-P50ST30
PS3 40gb
Sony STR-DH820
Polk Monitor 60's
Polk CS1
Polk OWM3's
Yamaha YST-SW216
Pioneer PL-S40 (turntable)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #163
Halcro 1 Halcro 1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Halcro 1's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Everywhere
12
Default

My KDS A3000 60 still works great one bulb replacement, no optical block issues..
Panasonic VT 65 Plasma
Halcro MC 50 Amp
Krell Foundation Pre/Pro
Oppo BDP103
Meridan G08 CDP
REL 528 SUB
Tyler D-1 Main Audes Grand Sentral Center
Audes Blues Rear.
Running Springs Audio Conditioner
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #164
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
254
836
4
34
222
Default

well, my second, extended-extended warranty expired friday past. i called bb to make arrangements for them to mail me the lamp that is owed to me under the warranty. i was supposed to get one lamp change with my warranty. it's on it's way and will be here wednesday.

i already purchased a spare last year for "just in case", so now i'll have 2 lamps w/housings as back-ups. hopefully, i'll have no more OB issues and the set will last me for a good while longer. after i replace one of the two lamps i have, i'll start saving and thinking about a new set since this one is no longer under any warranty.

i'll probably be looking at a sony 3D at the 55 - 65" range for my HT.

so far, this has been the best tv i've ever owned (with the exception of the OB having to be replaced twice) and still gives me an incredible picture!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #165
donaldsonjune donaldsonjune is offline
Senior Member
 
donaldsonjune's Avatar
 
May 2008
Home of the Philadelphia Eagles
7
1
Default

hello sxrd family,

i'm still on my original lamp from 2007 but just brought a new hdtv for the bedroom. OMG!!! the new hdtv's are beautiful. i'm really thinking about changing my lamp on the sxrd set. i know if not broke don't fix it. but a new lamp, new better picture? the sony 60"xrb2 is still my baby. what do you thing?
LIVING ROOM: RC-30s, Rotel RSP-1068 / Rotel RB-985 MKII AMP, RCC-1055 CD PLAYER (music) / Emotiva UMC-200 & RMB-1075 AMP, Paragigm Studio 100 V2 Ref speakers / Oppo bdp-83, Sony XBR 2, WD Media Player, Xbox 360, Comcast Cable X1
BEDROOM: Yamaha RXA-830 / Rotel RMB-1075 amp / Vizio 3D HDTV / Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray player / WD Media player Energy RC-30s,
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #166
integrafied1 integrafied1 is offline
Special Member
 
integrafied1's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Hollywood
10
445
6
24
Default

So the message informing me it is time to replace my bulb came on last night and this will be the first time I've had to replace it on my own.
(2006 tv; first bulb popped prematurely and sony mailed me a free replacement and I've been on my second bulb ever since)
My question is where did you guys purchase your bulb from? Amazon? Ebay? From what I've seen, there looks to be a lot of knock off brands out there.
Thanks for your recommendations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #167
Silo5 Silo5 is offline
Power Member
 
Feb 2008
-
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrafied1 View Post
So the message informing me it is time to replace my bulb came on last night and this will be the first time I've had to replace it on my own.
(2006 tv; first bulb popped prematurely and sony mailed me a free replacement and I've been on my second bulb ever since)
My question is where did you guys purchase your bulb from? Amazon? Ebay? From what I've seen, there looks to be a lot of knock off brands out there.
Thanks for your recommendations.
http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-a...p+with+housing

They have several listed, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the one for your exact model. Just make sure that your are ordering the lamp with housing. It's easier than trying to replace just the bulb.
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #168
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-a...p+with+housing

They have several listed, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the one for your exact model. Just make sure that your are ordering the lamp with housing. It's easier than trying to replace just the bulb.
IMO I would go with OEM here, have read different things about replacements and not all are created equal. Philips are more expensive but should last longer.

As a side note, I was going through my bills and on the 10th my TV had it's 6th b-day . One OB change, original bulb and still loving it
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #169
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
254
836
4
34
222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
IMO I would go with OEM here, have read different things about replacements and not all are created equal. Philips are more expensive but should last longer.

As a side note, I was going through my bills and on the 10th my TV had it's 6th b-day . One OB change, original bulb and still loving it
Mine is 6yrs & 2 months! i've had Two OB changes and 3 lamp changes and it's still going strong. i had an extended warranty with BB GS (it's actually a renewal of the original) and it ran out last year; they didn't offer another renewal. they owed me a lamp change in the coverage so they mailed me a new lamp in a housing. i also have an emergency spare lamp & housing that i purchased myself so i've got two spares.

my plan is that if this tv holds up until i have to change the second lamp i have, i'll probably be ready to think about buying a newer technology tv. of course, i say that now, but i'll probably buy a nother lamp! I just love this tv, what can i say!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #170
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Mine is 6yrs & 2 months! i've had Two OB changes and 3 lamp changes and it's still going strong. i had an extended warranty with BB GS (it's actually a renewal of the original) and it ran out last year; they didn't offer another renewal. they owed me a lamp change in the coverage so they mailed me a new lamp in a housing. i also have an emergency spare lamp & housing that i purchased myself so i've got two spares.

my plan is that if this tv holds up until i have to change the second lamp i have, i'll probably be ready to think about buying a newer technology tv. of course, i say that now, but i'll probably buy a nother lamp! I just love this tv, what can i say!
Agreed, sxrd Lcos tech was superb. I know I've said this many times before, but outside of TOL models, I haven't seen a set that makes me think I need to upgrade. For 6 year old sets, black are very good, contrast also, a very cinematic experience. Would I like to change, sure, would it make sens, not at all IMO. This is by far the best electronics product I've purchased in the last 10 years or so. Too bad Sony couldn't push the tech further, I can only imagine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #171
integrafied1 integrafied1 is offline
Special Member
 
integrafied1's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Hollywood
10
445
6
24
Default

Thanks for the above suggestions. My new bulb arrived yesterday.
After installing, it was definitely a pretty big difference from before!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #172
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN MFN D. View Post
My good friend has 1 and I've alway thought it was a pretty damn good tv. I actually helped him tweek it with my DVE disc.
Gotcha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #173
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Agreed, sxrd Lcos tech was superb. I know I've said this many times before, but outside of TOL models, I haven't seen a set that makes me think I need to upgrade. For 6 year old sets, black are very good, contrast also, a very cinematic experience. Would I like to change, sure, would it make sens, not at all IMO. This is by far the best electronics product I've purchased in the last 10 years or so. Too bad Sony couldn't push the tech further, I can only imagine.
I will second the opinion that these sets exhibit awesome blacks; sometimes too much so!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #174
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Agreed, sxrd Lcos tech was superb. I know I've said this many times before, but outside of TOL models, I haven't seen a set that makes me think I need to upgrade. For 6 year old sets, black are very good, contrast also, a very cinematic experience. Would I like to change, sure, would it make sens, not at all IMO. This is by far the best electronics product I've purchased in the last 10 years or so. Too bad Sony couldn't push the tech further, I can only imagine.
Agreed. I often wonder if when I do replace my set, will I really notice any significant jump in PQ over what I already have. I know just going by specs alone, modern day flat panels have much higher contrast ratios, dynamic range, motion processing, etc (not sure about blacks as I don't think I've ever seen any measurements done for the older LcOS sets. However I'm going to assume most upper echelon PDP's and LED panels are better). However going by the ole eye test, my set still impresses the hell out of me!

When the day comes that I do "upgrade" my set and I get rid of my SXRD, it will be like saying goodbye to an old friend! It's been that great of a product to me.
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #175
Captain Kirk Captain Kirk is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2012
2
Default

My SXRD finally died last week. I had moved it off to a smaller room for guest viewing and after four optical blocks, a bad fan and numerous bulb replacements it went out. I wasn't really upset about it since Sony gave me an LED to replace it last year. I've already replaced the TV with a Samsung LED. I will admit the SXRD had a stunning picture, but it had too many faults to be considered great.

I still have the TV in my garage, I don't know if anyone would want the parts. I haven't had the time to look around to see if anything is worth selling off. I'll probably just end up trashing it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #176
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
1
6
158
Default

While it did suffer from some problems, OB being the biggest, Sony stepped up to the plate and offered good settlements. But lcos is still a great tech that offered IMO great PQ. When I purchased it nothing could come close to it IMO. I spent many long hours debating my purchase but every time I would see one in action I was floored by how superior it was to its direct competition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #177
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
My SXRD finally died last week. I had moved it off to a smaller room for guest viewing and after four optical blocks, a bad fan and numerous bulb replacements it went out. I wasn't really upset about it since Sony gave me an LED to replace it last year. I've already replaced the TV with a Samsung LED. I will admit the SXRD had a stunning picture, but it had too many faults to be considered great.

I still have the TV in my garage, I don't know if anyone would want the parts. I haven't had the time to look around to see if anything is worth selling off. I'll probably just end up trashing it.
How do your newer LED sets compare? Do you notice a significant improvement in PQ over your SXRD?
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #178
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
How do your newer LED sets compare? Do you notice a significant improvement in PQ over your SXRD?
I'd be curious about this too...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #179
d.white d.white is offline
Active Member
 
d.white's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Chicago,Il
20
49
2
Default

Do any of you guys use vivid mode for blu ray, i messing around with it, i think I'm gonna stay with. I gotta do a little tweaking with the settings
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #180
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.white View Post
Do any of you guys use vivid mode for blu ray, i messing around with it, i think I'm gonna stay with. I gotta do a little tweaking with the settings
I've never used vivid on mine, way too cartoony for me. It does put out lots of light but the colors are off. I use custom for all my watching except sports. I've used Cnet's settings tweaked for a while but now prefer TweakTv's settings for the set and then tweak with DVE. Sometimes it takes some getting used to as it looks a bit dull at first but once used to that there's no turning back IMO.

Mind you I watch in a light controlled room, may be different in plain day watching.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > Rear Projection TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 PM.