Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
37 min ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1261
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

no prob, I have their site bookmarked
Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #1262
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Per my running total of units sales for Blu-ray (HMM research):

2011: 90,560,000 and 2012: 105,370,000
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #1263
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

http://www.degonline.org/pressreleas...inal%20Ext.pdf

http://www.degonline.org/pressreleas...NAL_1.8.13.pdf

Quote:
Blu-ray Disc spending rose nearly 10 percent for the year. Consumers have clearly adopted Blu-ray as the standard for home entertainment viewing, with spending on Blu-ray catalog titles jumping 25 percent for the year.
Quote:
Consumers are now making Blu-ray Disc players integral to their consumer home entertainment experience. The number of Blu-ray homes continues to steadily grow, climbing 7 percent for the year (including BD set-tops, PS3s and HTiBs.) Total household penetration of all Blu-ray compatible
devices now stands at close to 51 million U.S. homes according to numbers compiled by the DEG with input from retail tracking sources.
Quote:
The top selling home entertainment titles released in 2012 at year’s end were:
1. Avengers
2. Hunger Games
3. Dark Knight Rises
4. Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
5. Brave
6. Ted
7. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
8. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
9. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
10. Puss in Boots
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #1264
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
Arrow

january5.jpg

Nice start for 2013.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #1265
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Thanks. Looking forward to Skyfall. Should break all records?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1266

Jun 2012
Chicago, IL

I only own two titles of the top 10 selling BDs from 2012, two of which I hardly liked. Mainstream taste sucks.

I'm kidding...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #1267
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Having seen some charts from the last few weeks, bluray has had a good start to 2013. Is that fair comment?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #1268
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #1269
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
Lightbulb Blu-ray Sales Up 28.5% in Q1 2013

From the site's news postings:

Quote:
According to a new report released by the The Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), Blu-ray sales increased 28.5% for Q1 2013 (over the same period last year). Sales of new release titles on Blu-ray were up 37% in Q1 from a year earlier. Similarly, sales of catalog titles on the HD format experienced robust gains with a 16% gain from the first quarter of 2012. Overall total spending on home video entertainment was up 5%.

Strong consumer demand for Blu-ray movies and an appealing slate of new release titles including: Skyfall, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, and Argo helped the format achieve impressive growth for the first three months of 2013.

According to DEG data, the number of Blu-ray homes continued to rise as well, with 3.2 million Blu-ray Disc players (including BD set-tops, PS3s and HTiBs,) sold in the first quarter. The total number of US homes with at least one Blu-ray compatible device is now estimated to be 60 million. The DEG also indicates that 9.4 million new HDTVs were sold to U.S. consumers in Q1.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11050
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #1270
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
I am not going to say this is due to the quality of movies or 3D, i believe it is 3 fold.
1) The lack of new dvd hardware is forcing people into blu ray players with streaming which leads to more blu-ray sales.
2) The economy isnt great but is improving. Gas prices are down this quarter. When people save money on gas they do not buy more food or gas, they spend disposable income on things like electronics and....stuff like Blu's.
3) Many combo packs at the same price include the Blu (it's the other way for us) so possible future Blu ray owners are preparing, just like those of you that are buying 3D combo packs
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true

Last edited by Spicoli; 05-02-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #1271
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

The unfortunate part is that packaged media (BD & DVD) is only up 2% because of DVD's rapid decline. So, it's great that BD sales are up 28.5%, but DVD is dying causing streaming companies to claim that packaged media as a whole is doomed.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #1272
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

A very strong showing for Blu-ray catalog sales . In June 2012 42.1 million U.S. homes had a Blu-ray capable device and that number is now up to 60 million...*will add that to the news posting .
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #1273
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
A very strong showing for Blu-ray catalog sales . In June 2012 42.1 million U.S. homes had a Blu-ray capable device and that number is now up to 60 million...*will add that to the news posting .
I wonder how they calculate that. If it's just a running total of bd capable devices sold in the US then total households are probably overstated a bit.

It's probably not overstated by a lot but I am kinda curious.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #1274
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
With a comment from the vice president of DEG's board of directors….http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....re#post7493223

PM me if you would like his e-mail address for further insight/comment, as David is a good guy and usually willing and able to speak with Blu-ray reporters.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #1275
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Are these numbers in reference to 2012?

My point being you can make numbers say whatever you want.
To round it out Blus sold a quarter more than 2012.

I'll refrain from more judgement until I see this trend for one solid year. Though a quarter is promising so many factors are not considered in this equation.

Although I do have a few friends that were sort of anti Blu a few years ago, but now have up graded. I also believe that displays are a factor. I sold TVs for the past year and most were getting out of CRT. And those same consumers never knew that the content you fed the display is more responsible than the display itself.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #1276
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Go bluray. I still love you.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #1277
Banned

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The unfortunate part is that packaged media (BD & DVD) is only up 2% because of DVD's rapid decline. So, it's great that BD sales are up 28.5%, but DVD is dying causing streaming companies to claim that packaged media as a whole is doomed.
So would you saying streaming is replacing dvd and not so much blu ray. I would tend to think is the case, I do not buy any DVDs anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
3) Many combo packs at the same price include the Blu (it's the other way for us) so possible future Blu ray owners are preparing, just like those of you that are buying 3D combo packs
Prices are also cheaper in first week as well, I have seen Walmart offer The Hobbit or Skyfall combo packs for as little as $21.97 which is a very good deal as you get a lot of value at that price.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1278
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

But but but..........teh dowloadzzz is teh re placing da dics phicycals!!!
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #1279
Power Member

Mar 2007

Wow, I was not expecting to see packaged media sales actually go up year over year!:
Quote:
For studios, the big news was a rebirth in disc sales, which have been trending downward for more than five years. Buoyed by a 28.5% increase in Blu-ray Disc sales, overall packaged media sales were up 2%, to $2.1 billion from $2 billion in the first quarter of 2012. Add in electronic sellthrough, which grew 51.5% in the first quarter to $231 million, and the total sellthrough pie grew nearly 5%.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...ending-5-30315

That is surprising to me considering how much packaged media has dropped in recent years.

Streaming also being up is a good sign for the studios. Keep in mind though, the content drives sales and there were some big releases in the Q1 2013. I am not sure how strong things will stay based on the box office draw this year. There have been lots of duds and box office numbers are down vs last year.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #1280
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Are these numbers in reference to 2012?

My point being you can make numbers say whatever you want.
To round it out Blus sold a quarter more than 2012.

I'll refrain from more judgement until I see this trend for one solid year. Though a quarter is promising so many factors are not considered in this equation.

Although I do have a few friends that were sort of anti Blu a few years ago, but now have up graded. I also believe that displays are a factor. I sold TVs for the past year and most were getting out of CRT. And those same consumers never knew that the content you fed the display is more responsible than the display itself.
Numbers seem legit and are relatively consistent with Home Media Magazine's numbers . Through 3/30, which constitutes the first 13 weeks of the calendar year, HMM has U.S. Blu-ray dollar sales at 30.92% ahead of last year and with a 30.4% share of physical media sales. Through week 16 (4/20), BD is up 25.7% and has a 30% share of physical media sales. Last year at this time, BD was only up 6.55% over 2011 and it had a 23.7% share of physical media sales.

If there's a weakness, it's that DVD still maintains a 70% dollar share, which means it has an even higher unit share, since DVDs sell for less than BDs. People will respond and say, "well that's because more titles are available on DVD", but that doesn't matter -- the size of the business is the size of the business. The question going forward will be whether streaming and VOD services are going to cannibalize more DVD sales or more BD sales.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology