Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Dialogue seems easier to hear on the lossy side.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Will you miss out if you have never heard it no. Assuming you have decent equipment and hearing is there a difference. Most definitely yes. Many of the early blu-rays defaulted to a lossy track and within 5 minutes i would know something did not sound right. Even on subtle tracks. Now is it worth investing to take advantage of just this feature... probably not but if your upgrading it would be nice capability to have.
I have had the same exact thing happen to me a few times, and each time I felt this wasn't the sound quality I was used to getting from BD, so I checked and voila, it was the lossy track.

To me lossless sounds fuller, more defined, more dynamic, tighter, punchier bass, clearer, but not harsher (a quality I disliked about DVD SQ), more detailed soundstage, and more effortless.

I was able to tell the difference between 16bit dithered and 24 bit dithered, when I was mastering my CD, so I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference. Of course, it sometimes depends on the content....
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #43
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post
If I go to the MI4 menu it only has an english 5.1 lossless track. So 1.) I am never going to hear the compressed track and 2.) totally proves my point that most are default Lossless so accidental Compressed viewing isn't happening.

But I have transformers 3 So will give both a check tomorrow
Dude, it's there. Go plug in your TOSLINK Optical Cable, and you will get the core lossy track. No question about it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #44

Dec 2007
Default Is the audio update as evident as video?

Is there much difference btw DTS HD MA and normal non-HD Dolby Digital?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Your question was discussed in the thread below.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=206816
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Yamaha: CX-1000, B-6, T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Klipschorns Modded with ALK Universal Crossovers & Crites CT-125 Tweeters.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #46

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu lover View Post
Is there much difference btw DTS HD MA and normal non-HD Dolby Digital?
Merged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
Your question was discussed in the thread below.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=206816
Thanks Robert!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Unless there is a movie that is mostly dialogue the difference between lossy, and lossless/uncompressed is very apparent. Using lossless uncompressed on an action scene is night and day and if there is any LFE it can make it seem like you have a whole new subwoofer.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #48

Jan 2008
Southern California

Am I the only person who is bothered by the title of this thread? Do you guys realize that DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD are also compressed? They are losslessly compressed to save space. They take less space than LPCM (the space hog).

Dolby Digital and DTS are also compressed, but in the process of compressing them, some of the redundant data is deleted to save even more space. They are called lossy data compressin codecs.

All of this stuff was explained in A Guide to Home Theater Audio CODECs about a century ago.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Am I the only person who is bothered by the title of this thread? Do you guys realize that DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD are also compressed? They are losslessly compressed to save space. They take less space than LPCM (the space hog).

Dolby Digital and DTS are also compressed, but in the process of compressing them, some of the redundant data is deleted to save even more space. They are called lossy data compressin codecs.

All of this stuff was explained in A Guide to Home Theater Audio CODECs about a century ago.
I didn't know you were that old BD.
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Yamaha: CX-1000, B-6, T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Klipschorns Modded with ALK Universal Crossovers & Crites CT-125 Tweeters.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #50

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post

Yep!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #51

Oct 2008
Tooele, Utah, USA

Can I tell the difference between the two?

In a word: Yes.

However, that is when I have five or so minutes to really study the sound and I'm spending all my listening energy looking for flaws instead of enjoying it.

Otherwise, in real life situations I don't notice what it defaults to. And, while it's a sign of a lackluster transfer, not including a lossless track won't influence my decision to buy the disc. Matter of fact I'd rather they skimp on the sound if it would provide a better picture.
Rue le Noir Theater
JVC RS-1
10' wide screen
PS3
Onkyo THX speakers
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #52
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Yeah I can hear it. I'll say this though: "Crap in Crap out". When I first upgraded to lossless audio I was listening to a lot discs that had been mastered with a lossless sound track. When I switched back to my optical audio output the difference was negligible (but there). Then after some time I watched a DVD with a compressed audio track that also never received that kind of attention during the mastering process. Now there the difference was DRAMATIC. Way less mid-range detail, and punch. Recently, I was able to A/B the lossless "crazy high bit-rate" audio track on Akira to the regular lossy one, and again the difference was HUGE! So I know the attention given to the track in the source content is just as important (if not more so) than your set-up.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector + 100" 1.1 gain screen || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

http://letterboxd.com/flatnate/

Last edited by Flatnate; 11-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #53

Dec 2008
Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to DRC72

The Matrix is another movie that defaults to lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital. I haven't really experimented with DD5.1, only Dolby True HD on this disc. Although when the movie starts plain old DD sounds awesome, but I quickly switch over to it's losseless counterpart. i might test it out just for haha's.
Hitachi 50 Inch Plasma TV 1080p HD
Sony BDP-S550 - Blu-ray Player
Pioneer Elite AVS-33 - 7.1 Home Theater Receiver
Sony Playstation 3 - Gaming Console
Klipsch SW10 Powered Subwoofer

New home theater pics coming soon.

Last edited by DRC72; 11-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #54

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
I didn't know you were that old BD.
That thread was created in 2008. As far as Blu-ray technology is concerned, that is a century ago. Furthermore, I am a century old in knowledge and wisdom.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Unless there is a movie that is mostly dialogue the difference between lossy, and lossless/uncompressed is very apparent. Using lossless uncompressed on an action scene is night and day and if there is any LFE it can make it seem like you have a whole new subwoofer.
I doubt many will hear a difference between lossless and the high bitrate lossy codecs on Blu-ray, even on action films.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #56

Oct 2008
Milwaukee WI

If your going through your TV speakers no. If your using a good set of Hi Fi speakers definitly yes Lossless sound is much better. Listen to the music in the movie and you can realy tell the difference.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

This is worth a read.

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM

EDIT: That link no longer works and it appears it is no longer possible to reach Home Entertainment Magazine online. The article describes field trips to listening rooms at Dolby and DTS to test whether listeners could tell the difference between PCM and losslessly compressed tracks. They could not. It turns out they could not even tell the difference between the lossless/PCM tracks and lossy versions in properly designed blind tests. This was not a rigorous study. But, it was testing done under considerably better circumstances than any of us can do at home.

Last edited by BIslander; 11-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #58

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
What's more important is the quality of the source that's being encoded.
A 16-bit soundtrack is never going to sound as good as a 24-bit soundtrack. No matter which codec is being used. I believe a 640kbps Dolby Digital encoding is able to retain the 24-bit resolution, but not at 448kbps, which is the standard rate with DVDs.

Orchestra music would be much more evident.
That's just patently untrue. There are plenty of cases in movies where the bit depth of the soundtrack just ill not matter. Even professional sound engineers have a hard time distinguishing between the two unless the track is complicated. And the biggest difference will be heard in dynamic range.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #59
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bro View Post
Can you actually tell the difference between the DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD/LPCM and the normal DTS and Dolby compressed formats?

Is it a huge difference?
Most of the time most people think they can hear the difference but they really can't. Generally the audio is way too loud to actually here the difference. Now, I have worked in the exhibition industry for more than 20 years, there are endless times where a movie's soundtrack was encoded in 5.1 DD but there was and error or damage and our Dolby processor reverted back to Dolby SR....NOBODY could tell the difference and we would play the film for weeks in SR because SRD would not engage.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #60

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
I doubt many will hear a difference between lossless and the high bitrate lossy codecs on Blu-ray, even on action films.
I can tell it every time! I rented a bluray from redbox and without looking at my receiver I notice something was wrong! My wife thought I was going nuts, but I realized that the redbox BDs are crippled to only the high bit lossy tracks, I only watch a movie now if I buy it. Other than that, might as well wait for it to come on FX HD ! Lossless audio (compressed into a container or not) is what brought me over to BD. That's why I don't do Netflix, HD video is real cool but, I'm a sound guy...won't be going to 4k either.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Essence Evolve 7.1 HDMI DAC, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion